SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 vs SLR722 (yes I did it)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far I have found my biggest problem to be traction from a stop. If anyone has any special formula for launching the 65 please let me know as I am still experimenting. I ran against my other friends Renntech SL55 Sat night and had the same problem of playing catch up after the launch. Of course once my 65 hooked up is was over.

As for the the other people wondering why the 65 kept up so well with the 722, I think torque is the answer. When I was driving the 722 it was fast but fast in another way. It had a real powerful low end of each gear and then would taper off a bit not like the 65's seemingly endless power. But all and all the 722 is faster since launching is part of what makes a car fast and off the line it will get the 65 every time (with me driving it). I have seen a few youtube vids of people getting fantastic launches and times at the track in the 65. It seems there is a method to the madness.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:59 AM

Whatever I feel like
Originally Posted by Speed Thrills
I have seen a few youtube vids of people getting fantastic launches and times at the track in the 65. It seems there is a method to the madness.
Drag Radials.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by acicchelli
Drag Radials.
I see you have the same car modded. For street driving do you find you have launch problems as well or does the mod actually help? I have heard it detunes 1st gear to get you going.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 PM

Whatever I feel like
If I floor the gas pedal as far as possible anywhere under 50 miles per hour the traction control light comes on. As far as launching, you have to modulate the throttle to not lose traction, and this takes some practice. The good thing is even when the car loses traction the traction control keeps you going straight and you still feel in good control of the car. Traction seems to be more of an issue in the SL65 (I know it has a little more power) compared to my SL600 Renntech which has the wider renntech rims. I love the look of the stock SL65 rims, but I might have to change them out for some Renntech wheels soon, if I decide to keep the car. In case you were wondering, I have the ECU upgrade, carbon fiber air box, upgraded intercoolers, renntech exhaust, and toe links on the SL65. The biggest difference in the upgrade compared to stock you will feel on the highway. The car pulls like crazy.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
So far I have found my biggest problem to be traction from a stop. If anyone has any special formula for launching the 65 please let me know as I am still experimenting. I have seen a few youtube vids of people getting fantastic launches and times at the track in the 65. It seems there is a method to the madness.
There is no special formula, the car just has entirely too much torque and any modifications do not detune 1st gear in anyway, and ECU mods will make it worse. On the street with anytype of tire you will annihilate the tires as Im sure you well know. I can usually spin first thru second to about 60mph. If u want traction you need drag radials and even then u can get to a point of being able to spin them. I have drag radials and on the street where there is no traction compound like a track i can spin all thru first but second hooks better. Ill share one quick street technique that i have used if im at a stop: Keep traction control on and launch hard, as soon as the car starts to move after the electronics have settled, oh about 20mph or so, smack the button OFF. Your short times will plummet dramatically.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:16 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by acicchelli
If I floor the gas pedal as far as possible anywhere under 50 miles per hour the traction control light comes on. As far as launching, you have to modulate the throttle to not lose traction, and this takes some practice. The good thing is even when the car loses traction the traction control keeps you going straight and you still feel in good control of the car. Traction seems to be more of an issue in the SL65 (I know it has a little more power) compared to my SL600 Renntech which has the wider renntech rims. I love the look of the stock SL65 rims, but I might have to change them out for some Renntech wheels soon, if I decide to keep the car. In case you were wondering, I have the ECU upgrade, carbon fiber air box, upgraded intercoolers, renntech exhaust, and toe links on the SL65. The biggest difference in the upgrade compared to stock you will feel on the highway. The car pulls like crazy.
can you explain this intercooler upgrade to me
Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
can you explain this intercooler upgrade to me
I believe thats the renntech "intercooler upgrade"
Old 05-21-2007, 05:25 PM

Whatever I feel like
Yes all the mods on my SL65 and SL600 are Renntech mods. The intercooler is just supposed to help sustain the higher power for longer, I dont really think its worth the money though, as I cant tell much difference from the SL65 (has it) and SL600 (doesnt have it)as for losses in power. Maybe I am just not at really high boost for long periods of time.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by E55JAY
There is no special formula, the car just has entirely too much torque and any modifications do not detune 1st gear in anyway, and ECU mods will make it worse. On the street with anytype of tire you will annihilate the tires as Im sure you well know. I can usually spin first thru second to about 60mph. If u want traction you need drag radials and even then u can get to a point of being able to spin them. I have drag radials and on the street where there is no traction compound like a track i can spin all thru first but second hooks better. Ill share one quick street technique that i have used if im at a stop: Keep traction control on and launch hard, as soon as the car starts to move after the electronics have settled, oh about 20mph or so, smack the button OFF. Your short times will plummet dramatically.
Thanks. I need to experiment more. 65 would be a monster AWD car.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:22 PM

nice pics!

if you own the SLR, there is no way you do your own grocery shopping...
not to mention Costco.
i have my grocery delivered and i only drive the tiny slk.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Thanks. I need to experiment more. 65 would be a monster AWD car.
Absolutely.

With the $11k Renntech stage II 700bhp and 900lb/ft would make the thing unstoppbale. Only Audi seem to have realized this
Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Allen, did you see this thread?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 AM

SLR722 will assrape an Sl65.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by allanlambo
Then why didn't it? It should.....
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM

Whatever I feel like
SLR722 has a much better power to weight ratio when compared to an SL65. It would probably take a Renntech SL65 on race fuel and drag radials to win out against the 722 in the quarter mile.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label

The guy said the 722 was faster but it didn't sound like it was too embarasing like you have in your head. They are both 11 sec cars. The SL is no Gallardo that breaks 12 sec once by one guy after 50 tries, it is a legit 11 sec car pretty much every time unless the launch is blown. The SL has more tourque than the SLR, 4 more cylinders and the weight once rolling isn't a huge factor in a straight line so it shouldn't be blown away.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Juice it
The guy said the 722 was faster but it didn't sound like it was too embarasing like you have in your head. They are both 11 sec cars. The SL is no Gallardo that breaks 12 sec once by one guy after 50 tries, it is a legit 11 sec car pretty much every time unless the launch is blown. The SL has more tourque than the SLR, 4 more cylinders and the weight once rolling isn't a huge factor in a straight line so it shouldn't be blown away.
Again, do you have an SLR to compare to? I didnt think so. The 722 makes more hp then the Sl65 and weighs close to 1000lbs less. It ******* an Sl65. Go back to your dreamland of magazines.Here is true video of a BONE stock SLR running 11.40@126.5. Not on drag radials, not on the coolest day in North America, simply put in sport mode, traction control on, and hold on. Now imagine what it would do with drag radials and launched without the ESP.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hK6g0QGVI
Now take a 722 which is lighter with more hp, and torque.

And just for you, Rob Ferretti went and shot me the same video of ANOTHER Sl65 going 20-130mph, just lik the one we shot with the SL65 and SLR in Scottsdale. The Sl65 in NJ ran 20-130mph in 13.66 seconds. Compare that to the 12.26 my SLR ran UPHILL in 110degree weather at a 2000ft elevation.

Nj Sl65
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyT4pGRAi2I

Arizona Sl65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyeExglCfYk
Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Again, do you have an SLR to compare to? I didnt think so. The 722 makes more hp then the Sl65 and weighs close to 1000lbs less. It ******* an Sl65. Go back to your dreamland of magazines.Here is true video of a BONE stock SLR running 11.40@126.5. Not on drag radials, not on the coolest day in North America, simply put in sport mode, traction control on, and hold on. Now imagine what it would do with drag radials and launched without the ESP.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hK6g0QGVI
Now take a 722 which is lighter with more hp, and torque.

And just for you, Rob Ferretti went and shot me the same video of ANOTHER Sl65 going 20-130mph, just lik the one we shot with the SL65 and SLR in Scottsdale. The Sl65 in NJ ran 20-130mph in 13.66 seconds. Compare that to the 12.26 my SLR ran UPHILL in 110degree weather at a 2000ft elevation.

Nj Sl65
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyT4pGRAi2I

Arizona Sl65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyeExglCfYk

Oh, now no one can comment on a car they don't own?? The thread starter has the SL and obviously his buddy has the 722 so are you saying he just made this post up? What the hell does taping your speedo prove? I agree the SLR is faster. Your 11.4@127 is faster than my personal best of 11.6@124 but that certainly isn't destroying anything. Now after 120 I don't know exactly how it plays out so I am not commenting on that. I love the SLR so have no need to downplay its performance like you try to do of the SL. My main point was that you were nuts if you think the Gallardo had any shot of keeping up with the SL.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:46 PM

Oh, now no one can comment on a car they don't own?? The thread starter has the SL and obviously his buddy has the 722 so are you saying he just made this post up? What the hell does taping your speedo prove? I agree the SLR is faster. Your 11.4@127 is faster than my personal best of 11.6@124 but that certainly isn't destroying anything. Now after 120 I don't know exactly how it plays out so I am not commenting on that. I love the SLR so have no need to downplay its performance like you try to do of the SL. My main point was that you were nuts if you think the Gallardo had any shot of keeping up with the SL.
The Gallardo will do more than keep up with it. Rob Ferretti will make sure to get that video if I cant.

Lets see your video of your so called BEST 11.6@124. What tires where you running? How does your car miraculously run 124mph in the 1/4 when every Sl65 Ive seen has trapped right around 120mph? This fact is also backed up by Biturboamg who also owns has a drag raced his SL65 here.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
I don't have video. Look at dragtimes and look at some videos on this site. My car was bone stock. I think the average times my car ran with me driving or my buddy driving (both pretty novice) were high 11.6-11.8's@122. Seems like that is what most other owners get as well so whats the big deal? There is more than enough proof of what the SL's run and enough proof that G's can't break 12 except for the one immaculate run. No need to keep hashing it out. Obviously you are dumping your G because its performance is average at best for any new sports car much less an exotic.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Read Biturbos post numer 14 in this thread. Thats what he has to say about the G.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM

I don't have video. Look at dragtimes and look at some videos on this site. My car was bone stock. I think the average times my car ran with me driving or my buddy driving (both pretty novice) were high 11.6-11.8's@122. Seems like that is what most other owners get as well so whats the big deal? There is more than enough proof of what the SL's run and enough proof that G's can't break 12 except for the one immaculate run. No need to keep hashing it out. Obviously you are dumping your G because its performance is average at best for any new sports car much less an exotic.
As I said, how many people drag race Sl65's and how many drag race Gallardos?

Joe Currys Time slip for his full renntech Sl65 is on drag times, his mph is lower in Az then yours is for your totally stock car. But as I said, you did this, you did that, but of course you have no proof. Atleast i document whatever it is I say i do, win lose, or draw. You my friend, are full of crap.

Its also funny that you say your car was BONE stock, so I am assuming you are also saying that it was STOCK tires, and you are gettting times like the people on drag radials. To get an 11.60 you need something like a 1.7 short time, GOOD LUCK ON STREET TIRES.

Also we are out here running in the desert, not in the dead of winter in Maryland.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Thats fine due to the elevation and heat the SL won't get the same time in Arizona but the renntech ones there have hit the 10's. Either way the elevation I have heard doesn't affect the twin turbos like it does a normally aspirated car. The G can't break 12 ANYWHERE in the country so whats your point. My car had stock tires and two runs I have here it had a 1.8 and a 1.9 short time. These are 11.7 and 11.8 runs. I had people from this board at the track so no BS here. Look at every video you can find of an SL65 racing a G and you have the same result so you are grasping at straws. I would dump it as well if I had a 200k car that M5's were smoking!
Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
The Gallardo will do more than keep up with it. Rob Ferretti will make sure to get that video if I cant.

Lets see your video of your so called BEST 11.6@124.
yes his car did this time as i have friends that were at this track rental, also I have times and video to beat this time in my 600, so a 65 is more than capable
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
What a fun topic! I have run a best of 11.69 in stock form on stock RE050's in my SL65.

On the dyno it put down 525 RWHP so it is not a crazy strong SL65 by any means.

On drag radials my best time was 11.45. I will try and dig up some time slips from my last outing where I ran 11.50's.

A bunch of people on this board know me and have seen all of my AMG cars run on the strip so I am sure they can vouch for my numbers.

As mentioned the SLR and the 722 should be faster based on power to weight but assraped? no. The difference between a 11.5 and a 12.0 car is how many car lengths?

Cheers,

Schiz

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 vs SLR722 (yes I did it)