SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 vs SLR722 (yes I did it)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Here are a couple of runs on drag radials....

I have run 122 trap speeds at higher et's. I will try and dig those up as well...
Attached Thumbnails SL65 vs SLR722 (yes I did it)-drag-1.jpg   SL65 vs SLR722 (yes I did it)-drag-2.jpg  
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bentley Arnage Red Label
Hey Schiz! Was the 117 trap on dragtimes correct on your 11.6 run? Sounds low. Hope all is well. What else are you driving these days?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
I think it was but that day I was running really low trap speeds for some reason..... I was so long ago! The car it typically in the 119 to 121 range.

As for new toys... Picked up a facelifted 07 G55 earlier this week and have a Black Series on order for delivery shortly.

Flipped my RS and now I am regretting it......

What are you driving these days?

Schiz
Old 08-02-2007, 05:40 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by Schiznick
I think it was but that day I was running really low trap speeds for some reason..... I was so long ago! The car it typically in the 119 to 121 range.

As for new toys... Picked up a facelifted 07 G55 earlier this week and have a Black Series on order for delivery shortly.

Flipped my RS and now I am regretting it......

What are you driving these days?

Schiz

I have been busy renovating a new house but am starting to look around for some new stuff. The Red label is on its way out and I too am looking at a new G55 with the new dash and updates. My daily is a Bentley GTC which is a great cruiser but a bit slow compared to the SL. I have also been thinking about a late 60's muscle car to screw with for a while. It gets real old taking 50k beatings on newer cars everytime I sell one!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 PM

2005 SL65 w/RENNtech Stage 2, 2013 MB GL550
RENNtech SL65

I'm very curious now as to how a RENNtech SL65 would hold up against a SLR or 722. With the RENNtech I think the HP would be close to 700, how much HP on the SLR or 722? Also why is the SLR and 722 so much lighter than an SL65? Has there been actual times for RENNtech's in the 1/4 mile?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
I'm very curious now as to how a RENNtech SL65 would hold up against a SLR or 722. With the RENNtech I think the HP would be close to 700, how much HP on the SLR or 722? Also why is the SLR and 722 so much lighter than an SL65? Has there been actual times for RENNtech's in the 1/4 mile?
All carbon fiber..... Pleanty of times around for Renntech tuned SL65's. Low 11's and high 10's for the fastest ones.

Anyone run a SLR 722 at the drag strip yet?

Schiz
Old 08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55

Anyone run a SLR 722 at the drag strip yet?

Schiz
With AllanYugo driving, it might crack 13's.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Wow.....I'm drooling...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Juice it
These are 11.7 and 11.8 runs. I had people from this board at the track so no BS here.
Yup, I was there and saw it. I was amazed!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Ben Treynor had a pretty strong stock SL65. His best time was 11.7 @ 126. His average that night was 11.8 @ 125. Here's the thread from way back when....
Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
I have been busy renovating a new house but am starting to look around for some new stuff. The Red label is on its way out and I too am looking at a new G55 with the new dash and updates. My daily is a Bentley GTC which is a great cruiser but a bit slow compared to the SL. I have also been thinking about a late 60's muscle car to screw with for a while. It gets real old taking 50k beatings on newer cars everytime I sell one!
I didn't want to hijack the thread so I posted pictures of my new G55 in the G section. The updates are fantastic and well needed on the G.

Tell me about the 50K hits...... Get's old real fast.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 PM

SLR722,SL63AMG
I own a 722 and i can't stop laughing at the comments on this thread.Let me set the record straight for all that are on crack.
There is no stock MB product that will keep up with an SLR,nevermind the 722 no ifs buts or maybes.
The SL65 is a very nice car but really overweight and has a chassis that cannot handle it's motor.Way too much HP and even worse with the torque.

It also weighs about 1000 lbs more than the 722 which basically classifies it as a train.You can put gobs of HP and torque in a train and it still will not get off the line faster than the lighter car unless the difference is huge and in the case of these 2 cars it isn't.

And to top it up i would love to see all the skeptics take their SL65 on a road course.Talk about bad handling.
To the SL65 owners,nothing personal .You own a wonderful car that is very well engineered but it is what it is and no more than that.
Enjoy it for what it is and don't be delusional
Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 S55
Originally Posted by Speed Thrills
When my friend got his SLR722 two weeks ago not only could I wait to see and drive it but I of course had to see how it stacked up with my SL65. Since he had his car a week before I got mine it was a long week waiting for the match up. Was funny when I first told him my 65 was coming the first thing he said was "we should run them". First off, I want to apologize for the horrible pictures. I had this event planned for two weeks and in all the excitement I neglected to charge my camera and had to use my cell phone (felt like a jack ***). I wanted to video the whole thing as well but next match ups I'll be sure to hit the charger the day before.

As you can see from the pics the 722 is a work of art. F••ckn AMAZING car. My friend had an 06 SLR before it and to have the 722 trump it is a feat on it's own and take it from me it does. I'm not going to go over all the amazing features of the car since I assume most of you have read articles and seen pics. I'll skip to the match up. We ran several times. 2 from dead start and 2 from a 30mph roll. First I want to say we were both floored on how well my 65 kept up with the SLR. From the dead stop the SLR definitely got out of the hole better (got my 65 seven days ago and I am no pro at launching it yet) but after the 3/4 to 1 car length jump the 65 held solid and gained up a tad. By the time we were at around 100mph a was slowly gaining but never got to even on both runs. From the 30mph roll we were dead even all though in the 2nd run I did pull ahead slightly and held it up to around 120mph.

I have to say even though our performance in a straight line was similar the SLR killed me in the turns. After each run we would continue to some twisties that took us back to the start and I could see how the 722 was glued to the road. At first I thought it might be more the driver as my friend regularly hits the track and is a much better driver than me, but when I drove the 722 I knew this was only part of reason. WOW.. what a feel in the twisties with all that power and grip. My confidence level shot up a few bars in that car. Even the seats hold you in like a bear hug in the turns.

I tried to take a video of one of the runs with my phone but it was horrible. So bummed my camera was out of juice. Next time.

Here a phone video of me hammering the SLR
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...17-07_1703.flv
just get the ecu flash and your friend will feel abit embarrased!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Originally Posted by BMWRACER
I own a 722 and i can't stop laughing at the comments on this thread.Let me set the record straight for all that are on crack.
There is no stock MB product that will keep up with an SLR,nevermind the 722 no ifs buts or maybes.
The SL65 is a very nice car but really overweight and has a chassis that cannot handle it's motor.Way too much HP and even worse with the torque.

It also weighs about 1000 lbs more than the 722 which basically classifies it as a train.You can put gobs of HP and torque in a train and it still will not get off the line faster than the lighter car unless the difference is huge and in the case of these 2 cars it isn't.

And to top it up i would love to see all the skeptics take their SL65 on a road course.Talk about bad handling.
To the SL65 owners,nothing personal .You own a wonderful car that is very well engineered but it is what it is and no more than that.

Thats great you own a 722. So does the guy's friend at the top of this thread. No one said the SL was as fast and we all know the SLR will handle way better but a couple tenths of a second in the 1/4 is not the rape that Allen seems to think and once the SL is moving the weight isn't a huge issue and since the tourque is more than the SLR it gives it a respectable run in the 1/4. What happens after 125 on I imagine the SLR steadily pulls away so what is the big issue? Allen can't handle anything that can compete with whatever he has. When the Z06 came out he insisted how his G was faster until it was so rediculous of an argument he switched sides on that. No big deal, things have been slow in forum world lately anyway.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:46 AM

SLR722,SL63AMG
Thats great you own a 722. So does the guy's friend at the top of this thread. No one said the SL was as fast and we all know the SLR will handle way better but a couple tenths of a second in the 1/4 is not the rape that Allen seems to think and once the SL is moving the weight isn't a huge issue and since the tourque is more than the SLR it gives it a respectable run in the 1/4. What happens after 125 on I imagine the SLR steadily pulls away so what is the big issue? Allen can't handle anything that can compete with whatever he has. When the Z06 came out he insisted how his G was faster until it was so rediculous of an argument he switched sides on that. No big deal, things have been slow in forum world lately anyway.
I have never been a fan of drag racing and never will be as anyone can go fast in a straight line.
I have driven the SL65 and it pulls really strong but unfortunately you cannot put the power down as the chassis does not live up to the motor.
The 722 also has traction issues but having been in both cars i would be willing to bet given equally competent drivers the 722 will be ahead by at least 0.5sec in the quarter and that is huge.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65

This thread keeps getting better and better.

I will say that I have enjoyed my time in SLR's but wow..... you are seriously off the deep end now. Since you are a BMW racer I am sure you are right.

The SL65 "is what it is" and we never said anything more or less. What we said is that in a drag race with an SLR or SLR 722 it shouldn't get "******." I know mine won't nor should any proper running SL65.

The best part of your post is that you call the SL65 a train. Your 722 tips the scales at 3900 pounds. Are you kidding me? Paper weight. Talk about throwing rocks from a glass house. You paid just about half a million for a luxury sportcar. It is known that the setup in the 722 overpowers that chassis as well.

Leave it to the BMW guy to bring up the road course. Your 3900 pound ballerina may be better equiped than the SL65 but this discussion was never about road courses it was about drag racing. Just for **** and grins I could have brought my stock GT3 RS and run circles around you all day long in your half million dollar paper weight.

An all carbon fiber car that weighs 3900 pounds and you call our cars trains.....

Crack.... Certainly takes one to know one.......

Go ahead Allan, bring on the rest of your friends
Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550

I will say that I have enjoyed my time in SLR's but wow..... you are seriously off the deep end now. Since you are a BMW racer I am sure you are right.

The SL65 "is what it is" and we never said anything more or less. What we said is that in a drag race with an SLR or SLR 722 it shouldn't get "assraped." I know mine won't nor should any proper running SL65.

The best part of your post is that you call the SL65 a train. Your 722 tips the scales at 3900 pounds. Are you kidding me? Paper weight. Talk about throwing rocks from a glass house. You paid just about half a million for a luxury sportcar. It is known that the setup in the 722 overpowers that chassis as well.

Leave it to the BMW guy to bring up the road course. Your 3900 pound ballerina may be better equiped than the SL65 but this discussion was never about road courses it was about drag racing. Just for ****s and grins I could have brought my stock GT3 RS and run circles around you all day long in your half million dollar paper weight.

An all carbon fiber car that weighs 3900 pounds and you call our cars trains.....

I'd like you to be my attorney

That was a good start to my morning!

Enjoy your day, and your beautiful car!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Almost a Member!

wow

I am a HUGE fan of the SL, but when the two cars are side by side, it feels like a housewife with 3 kids in front of a 20 yr old ballet dancer.

Nevertheless, apparently it was a very fast housewife since you are not claiming the credit for hanging w/ the SLR.

How do the theoretical numbers (0-60, etc.) stack up between these two vehicles?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 PM

SLR722,SL63AMG

The SL65 "is what it is" and we never said anything more or less. What we said is that in a drag race with an SLR or SLR 722 it shouldn't get "assraped." I know mine won't nor should any proper running SL65.

Leave it to the BMW guy to bring up the road course. Your 3900 pound ballerina may be better equiped than the SL65 but this discussion was never about road courses it was about drag racing. Just for **** and grins I could have brought my stock GT3 RS and run circles around you all day long in your half million dollar paper weight.

The 3900lb ballerina is lighter than a 4900lb train and if you could read and comprehend english you would have come across some of the points you are trying to make in my second post.
You and your SL are toast against the 722 day and night and no amount of drugs will change that.Maybe crack wasn't a good analogy as the euphoric effect is not as as good as oxycontin or heroin.
Keep on dreaming and whenever you would like to bring out your GT3RS (which is a very fine car by the way for the track) for ****s and grins i promise i will drive with a coffee in one hand and still lap you.
When you don't know who the person is don't plant your foot in your mouth.
You weren't doing so well to begin with but now i am convinced you are a delusional moron.
And please don't bring finances into the picture.Everyone knows how much the SLR costs which i assume probably correctly this is the reason why you idiots get so offended and would like to prove your point.
I only paid so much for an SL and it keeps up with the SLR therefore i am genius.HAHA
You might have a different perspective when you finish your methadone program but i somewhat doubt it as the brain damage seems to be permanent.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
The 3900lb ballerina is lighter than a 4900lb train and if you could read and comprehend english you would have come across some of the points you are trying to make in my second post.
You and your SL are toast against the 722 day and night and no amount of drugs will change that.Maybe crack wasn't a good analogy as the euphoric effect is not as as good as oxycontin or heroin.
Keep on dreaming and whenever you would like to bring out your GT3RS (which is a very fine car by the way for the track) for ****s and grins i promise i will drive with a coffee in one hand and still lap you.
You weren't doing so well to begin with but now i am convinced you are a delusional moron.
And please don't bring finances into the picture.Everyone knows how much the SLR costs which i assume probably correctly this is the reason why you idiots get so offended and would like to prove your point.
I only paid so much for an SL and it keeps up with the SLR therefore i am genius.HAHA
You might have a different perspective when you finish your methadone program but i somewhat doubt it as the brain damage seems to be permanent.
Classy post! I would expect it from Allen but you are usually diplomatic and tactful. I think your assesment of trying to justify purchase prices is right on. It must be a sore spot to have a car that is half the price have 98% of the power from the same manufacturer with 4 more cylinders and more tourqe. I guess if .5 sec is an assrape then what would be a good term for the .75-1 sec the SL destroys the Gallardo in? Allen is the one who is obsessed with the drag racing times and can never accept that anything he doesn't like can compete with what he has. Then he boasts about being able to buy whatever when many of us here are way over his league and then he goes and buys a used SLR! Mr.I don't worry about losing money on cars! Its kind of funny. Talk about delusional.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
heh heh

This thread is too funny. We "the people" get to watch the "rich" argue.

Chuckle.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Did you guys high five each other after your posts?

You are indeed a bright one. You can talk all the smack you want but your comprehension of all of these posts has been overwhelmed by your friendship with another tool, Allen.

Let me clarify some things for you:

No one ever said the SL65 was faster than a SLR or a 722 - We only said that in typical Allen style, he over-exagerated the truth as usual.

722 vs GT3 RS on a real road course - I'll take my chances in the RS every time. I would even spot you both hands as I would hate for you to make excuses.

The funny part is that as I have said, I have enjoyed my time in SLR's. For what it is, a McLaren/Mercedes, I think it is a fine car.

This board got along just fine for a long time without you and we will do just fine in the future without you.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65, 911
Originally Posted by allanlambo
The Gallardo will do more than keep up with it. Rob Ferretti will make sure to get that video if I cant.

Lets see your video of your so called BEST 11.6@124. What tires where you running? How does your car miraculously run 124mph in the 1/4 when every Sl65 Ive seen has trapped right around 120mph? This fact is also backed up by Biturboamg who also owns has a drag raced his SL65 here.
Excuse me, but ******. Your wishing that's the case does not make it so. I posted back in **2004** when I got one of the first SL65s in the country, broke it in in 2 weeks, and took it to the track. BONE STOCK (including tires) it ran 11.71 @ 125.6, and I have the timeslip to prove it.

Here's the original thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84861
Old 08-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Allan and BMWRACER, you guys need to take a chill pill.

There's no reason to negatively comment on a thread, if you have something constructive to say on the other hand, please, share it; it'd be a first...
Old 08-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Classy post! I would expect it from Allen but you are usually diplomatic and tactful. I think your assesment of trying to justify purchase prices is right on. It must be a sore spot to have a car that is half the price have 98% of the power from the same manufacturer with 4 more cylinders and more tourqe. I guess if .5 sec is an assrape then what would be a good term for the .75-1 sec the SL destroys the Gallardo in? Allen is the one who is obsessed with the drag racing times and can never accept that anything he doesn't like can compete with what he has. Then he boasts about being able to buy whatever when many of us here are way over his league and then he goes and buys a used SLR! Mr.I don't worry about losing money on cars! Its kind of funny. Talk about delusional.
I bought a used SLR for the price of your automotive collection.Try to find a NEW black SlR. I looked for months. I thought we were going to be discussing real estate values in Bethesda Maryland?

Last edited by allanlambo; 08-04-2007 at 05:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 vs SLR722 (yes I did it)