SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 vs SLR722 (yes I did it)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treynor
Excuse me, but horse****. Your wishing that's the case does not make it so. I posted back in **2004** when I got one of the first SL65s in the country, broke it in in 2 weeks, and took it to the track. BONE STOCK (including tires) it ran 11.71 @ 125.6, and I have the timeslip to prove it.

Here's the original thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/84861-stock-sl65-11-7-126-a.html
I believe you ran those times, and yes, if all SL65's ran those times, I wouldnt argue with you about the Gallardo, BUT they do not. Just as in the Z06 world no one can equal the times Ranger has set in his Z06.

My reason for arguement is that people here have no experience with running a Gallardo. They do not know that the reason the Gallardo loses mph in the 1/4 is because of a need to shift right before the traps. And lastly, I have always said that the race would be very very close, and could go either way. But those who THINK that they will just get in and watch a Gallardo disappear in their rear view mirror are dreaming. I firmly believe that from the Sl65 I had here, and my Gallardo, id give the edge to my Gallardo. Also, far more people have taken their Sl55's and 65's to the track then the lambo guys. I will also say, that Ive raced my car 4 times, I can gaurentee you have raced your car more than that. Juice It, likes to say that a Gallardo once ran 11.89, only once, but that driver also had pretty limited experience in his car.

Regardless of the fact, inmo, Sl65's are for those that cannot afford SLR's.J/k That comment is for Juice it.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
hmmm

I believe the great time ben pulled was when he took that SL65 to the track for the first time ...
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM

06 SL65, 08 S550, 08 Range Rover SuperCharged
Originally Posted by allanlambo
I believe you ran those times, and yes, if all SL65's ran those times, I wouldnt argue with you about the Gallardo, BUT they do not. Just as in the Z06 world no one can equal the times Ranger has set in his Z06.

My reason for arguement is that people here have no experience with running a Gallardo. They do not know that the reason the Gallardo loses mph in the 1/4 is because of a need to shift right before the traps. And lastly, I have always said that the race would be very very close, and could go either way. But those who THINK that they will just get in and watch a Gallardo disappear in their rear view mirror are dreaming. I firmly believe that from the Sl65 I had here, and my Gallardo, id give the edge to my Gallardo. Also, far more people have taken their Sl55's and 65's to the track then the lambo guys. I will also say, that Ive raced my car 4 times, I can gaurentee you have raced your car more than that. Juice It, likes to say that a Gallardo once ran 11.89, only once, but that driver also had pretty limited experience in his car.

Regardless of the fact, inmo, Sl65's are for those that cannot afford SLR's.J/k That comment is for Juice it.
And the SLR is for those who can't afford the Bugatti Veyron?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:01 PM

SLR722,SL63AMG
Originally Posted by Juice it
Classy post! I would expect it from Allen but you are usually diplomatic and tactful. I think your assesment of trying to justify purchase prices is right on. It must be a sore spot to have a car that is half the price have 98% of the power from the same manufacturer with 4 more cylinders and more tourqe. I guess if .5 sec is an assrape then what would be a good term for the .75-1 sec the SL destroys the Gallardo in? Allen is the one who is obsessed with the drag racing times and can never accept that anything he doesn't like can compete with what he has. Then he boasts about being able to buy whatever when many of us here are way over his league and then he goes and buys a used SLR! Mr.I don't worry about losing money on cars! Its kind of funny. Talk about delusional.

Jeff
On a race track a 1sec lap difference is huge so when there is a 0.5sec gap in the quarter you could call it ****** and the same applies to the SL and Gallardo scenario.
As far a myself being sore for the reasons you described,far from it.I couldn't care less.I didn't buy the 722 just because it has 650hp but i bought it for the overall package.
I am not going to get into who can afford what because there will always be a bigger baller than the last person and it is irrelevent imo.
However,how many SL65 owners would own an SLR if money wasn't an issue?
Probably the majority so that being the case why play the i paid less than half your car's worth for almost the same performance? How do you interpret that? It certainly isn't a positive or complimentary comment .The 2 cars in question are not in the same league.
Anyway,i am done with this thread.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:10 PM

Whatever I feel like
First of all, most SL65 owners can afford an SLR with ease. Many 65 owners want all the performance and luxury without all the paparazzi that can come with having an exotic. While I agree that the SLR is a far superior sports car, it can't really hold a candle to the daily driving ability and comfort of the SL65 which is the reason most people own them. The cars arent in different leagues they are in different categories all together.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM

SLR722,SL63AMG
Originally Posted by Schiznick
Did you guys high five each other after your posts?

You are indeed a bright one. You can talk all the smack you want but your comprehension of all of these posts has been overwhelmed by your friendship with another tool, Allen.

Let me clarify some things for you:

No one ever said the SL65 was faster than a SLR or a 722 - We only said that in typical Allen style, he over-exagerated the truth as usual.

722 vs GT3 RS on a real road course - I'll take my chances in the RS every time. I would even spot you both hands as I would hate for you to make excuses.

The funny part is that as I have said, I have enjoyed my time in SLR's. For what it is, a McLaren/Mercedes, I think it is a fine car.

This board got along just fine for a long time without you and we will do just fine in the future without you.
It is very easy to blame Allan for everything as he is controversial but one thing he isn't is a liar.He tells it the way it is and most people don't want to hear the plain simple truth.
I am done arguing as i have made my point and i really don't care if you like it or agree.
It really is too bad that i came on this board under these circumstances as i am sure there are a lot of fine members here who could gain something from my experience.
As far as 722 vs GT3RS on a road course,given equal drivers depending on the configuration of the track it is a tossup.HP track 722 wins,tight handling track GT3 will walk all over it.
With you at the wheel,unless you have been racing for a few years at a fairly high level,BYE BYE GT3.

Best of luck to you
Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by acicchelli
First of all, most SL65 owners can afford an SLR with ease. Many 65 owners want all the performance and luxury without all the paparazzi that can come with having an exotic. While I agree that the SLR is a far superior sports car, it can't really hold a candle to the daily driving ability and comfort of the SL65 which is the reason most people own them. The cars arent in different leagues they are in different categories all together.
I highly disagree that most Sl65 owners can afford an SLR. Id bet the majority of the SL65 owners here didnt jump on the bandwagon until the car lost 1/2 its value in depreciation. So even if you compare the sl65 to a used SLR there is a HUGE difference between being able to afford a 100K car and a 300K car.

Not to mention for most SL65 drivers, it is their only car.

As for the daily driveability and comfort between the Sl65 and SLR, once your buckeled in, I dont see much difference.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmmm

every single owner of a SL65 that I know has multiple cars. Also most of them bought them first hand. While I do believe that you will see a lot more 2nd hand owners now ... I do believe the ones that can afford a 200k car can afford a 300k car. It really isn't that big of a jump once you get past 150k.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 PM

All Sl65's run mid 11's and 125 in the 1/4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9tQU...elated&search=

Hmmm? 117mph?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj2bq...elated&search=

Modified SL65 vs M5?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpWUr...elated&search=
Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Debating who can afford what and someone buys an SL65 is stupid. I don't know how I let myself get sucked into that crap. As far as Allen, yes he tells his thoughts but there is a big difference between saying what you think and reality. This thread went from a little trash talking to worthless really quick and yes I was part of it so I will end my part buy saying all the cars in question are decent cars and I have actually been toying with the idea of an SLR since they have dropped so far down (yes I would buy it used Allen) so enjoy the cars you have and just remember if you have a G and an SL65 pulls up next to you, pull off at the first turn so you don't get smoked!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Debating who can afford what and someone buys an SL65 is stupid. I don't know how I let myself get sucked into that crap. As far as Allen, yes he tells his thoughts but there is a big difference between saying what you think and reality. This thread went from a little trash talking to worthless really quick and yes I was part of it so I will end my part buy saying all the cars in question are decent cars and I have actually been toying with the idea of an SLR since they have dropped so far down (yes I would buy it used Allen) so enjoy the cars you have and just remember if you have a G and an SL65 pulls up next to you, pull off at the first turn so you don't get smoked!
And if you believe that one, Ive got a beach house in Bethesda to sell you.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

chuckle

If I see Ben's SL ... yeah I would definitely turn the corner.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Whatever I feel like
I highly disagree that most Sl65 owners can afford an SLR. Id bet the majority of the SL65 owners here didnt jump on the bandwagon until the car lost 1/2 its value in depreciation. So even if you compare the sl65 to a used SLR there is a HUGE difference between being able to afford a 100K car and a 300K car.

Not to mention for most SL65 drivers, it is their only car.

As for the daily driveability and comfort between the Sl65 and SLR, once your buckeled in, I dont see much difference.
Most SL65 owners have multiple cars and the sum of the values of their cars can easily exceed the cost of a 300k car. As I alluded to earlier the type of buyer who buys an SL65 is usually very different than someone who buys an SLR.

Also you are in dreamland if you think that the SLR is even 1/10th the daily driver that the SL65 is. Anyone over like 6 feet is going to be very uncomfortable in an SLR, not to mention the droptop, luxury options, and blending in factors. Much of the weight difference between the cars is in the seats and the extra support needed for the retractible hardtop.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:46 PM

Whatever I feel like
just remember if you have a G and an SL65 pulls up next to you, pull off at the first turn so you don't get smoked!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 PM

Most SL65 owners have multiple cars and the sum of the values of their cars can easily exceed the cost of a 300k car. As I alluded to earlier the type of buyer who buys an SL65 is usually very different than someone who buys an SLR.

Also you are in dreamland if you think that the SLR is even 1/10th the daily driver that the SL65 is. Anyone over like 6 feet is going to be very uncomfortable in an SLR, not to mention the droptop, luxury options, and blending in factors. Much of the weight difference between the cars is in the seats and the extra support needed for the retractible hardtop.
Im 6ft, and the SLR is extremely comfortable. I dont like convertibles. We are also not talking about the SUM of values.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Whatever I feel like
Im 6ft, and the SLR is extremely comfortable. I dont like convertibles. We are also not talking about the SUM of values.
"extremely comfortable" lol, whatever. Maybe you should go drive an SL65 to see what real comfort is. I am only 4 inches taller than you and thin and I could barely fit in an SLR. The steering wheel was like 4 inches from my chest. Even a Gallardo/Murci has tons more room than an SLR. After "sitting" in an SLR I immediately knew why no one was buying them. Before them I thought it was strictly price. There are also far better options out there in that price range.

Who cares if you like convertibles? I think all SL65 owners do, it's one of the primary reasons they buy them. Thanks for helping me on my point that SL65 owners are typically different than SLR owners.

I was talking about the SUM of values to demonstrate that most SL65 owners could afford a 300k SLR, but most would just rather have a lot of different cars since each one offers a different kind of enjoyment/purpose.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 PM

"extremely comfortable" lol, whatever. Maybe you should go drive an SL65 to see what real comfort is. I am only 4 inches taller than you and thin and I could barely fit in an SLR. The steering wheel was like 4 inches from my chest. Even a Gallardo/Murci has tons more room than an SLR. After "sitting" in an SLR I immediately knew why no one was buying them. Before them I thought it was strictly price. There are also far better options out there in that price range.

Who cares if you like convertibles? I think all SL65 owners do, it's one of the primary reasons they buy them. Thanks for helping me on my point that SL65 owners are typically different than SLR owners.

I was talking about the SUM of values to demonstrate that most SL65 owners could afford a 300k SLR, but most would just rather have a lot of different cars since each one offers a different kind of enjoyment/purpose.
Not my fault a big goof like you couldnt fit in the car....
Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM

Whatever I feel like
AllanLambo

This coming from someone who has a Mini. LOL, I cant help it if im too much man for an SLR.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
From Dragtimes.com, both the SL65 and modified CL600 can do the 1/4 mile quicker than the SLR. There is only one Gallardo that is not a modified twin-turbo even in the 11's. Let's get some more representative times. Take the G and the SLR to the track and see what they can do.

http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...ame=Compare%21
Old 08-05-2007, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
Originally Posted by BMWRACER
The 3900lb ballerina is lighter than a 4900lb train and if you could read and comprehend english...
Speaking of comprehension, you might want to get your facts straight. The SL65 is 4555lbs so you're 345lbs off.

Originally Posted by SLK55R
This thread is too funny. We "the people" get to watch the "rich" argue.

Chuckle.
Couldn't agree more

Last edited by Murtaza; 08-05-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
You are a real class act.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by BMWRACER
It is very easy to blame Allan for everything as he is controversial but one thing he isn't is a liar.He tells it the way it is and most people don't want to hear the plain simple truth.
I am done arguing as i have made my point and i really don't care if you like it or agree.
It really is too bad that i came on this board under these circumstances as i am sure there are a lot of fine members here who could gain something from my experience.
As far as 722 vs GT3RS on a road course,given equal drivers depending on the configuration of the track it is a tossup.HP track 722 wins,tight handling track GT3 will walk all over it.
With you at the wheel,unless you have been racing for a few years at a fairly high level,BYE BYE GT3.

Best of luck to you
That's what is funny, you didn't make any points at all.

All you did is register here so you could stir up a bunch of crap.

Your fantastic first post.......

"I own a 722 and i can't stop laughing at the comments on this thread.Let me set the record straight for all that are on crack.
There is no stock MB product that will keep up with an SLR,nevermind the 722 no ifs buts or maybes.
The SL65 is a very nice car but really overweight and has a chassis that cannot handle it's motor.Way too much HP and even worse with the torque.

It also weighs about 1000 lbs more than the 722 which basically classifies it as a train.You can put gobs of HP and torque in a train and it still will not get off the line faster than the lighter car unless the difference is huge and in the case of these 2 cars it isn't.

And to top it up i would love to see all the skeptics take their SL65 on a road course.Talk about bad handling.
To the SL65 owners,nothing personal .You own a wonderful car that is very well engineered but it is what it is and no more than that.
Enjoy it for what it is and don't be delusional"

If your tact is any indication of your personality, you can keep all your experience to yourself but thanks for offering to teach us a few things. Since all your credentials we see are you owning a 722 and being friends with Allan, I think we should pass.

As for the RS against the 722. I would classify the Nordschleife as a HP track and they are both running in the 7:40's with top drivers. So unless you are Michael Schumacher moonlighting as a forum a**hole, I would take my chances in the RS.

Feel free to go back to your rock now.

I am done with this thread, what a waste.

Ciao!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 AM

SLR722,SL63AMG
Originally Posted by Schiznick
That's what is funny, you didn't make any points at all.

All you did is register here so you could stir up a bunch of crap.

Your fantastic first post.......

"I own a 722 and i can't stop laughing at the comments on this thread.Let me set the record straight for all that are on crack.
There is no stock MB product that will keep up with an SLR,nevermind the 722 no ifs buts or maybes.
The SL65 is a very nice car but really overweight and has a chassis that cannot handle it's motor.Way too much HP and even worse with the torque.

It also weighs about 1000 lbs more than the 722 which basically classifies it as a train.You can put gobs of HP and torque in a train and it still will not get off the line faster than the lighter car unless the difference is huge and in the case of these 2 cars it isn't.

And to top it up i would love to see all the skeptics take their SL65 on a road course.Talk about bad handling.
To the SL65 owners,nothing personal .You own a wonderful car that is very well engineered but it is what it is and no more than that.
Enjoy it for what it is and don't be delusional"

If your tact is any indication of your personality, you can keep all your experience to yourself but thanks for offering to teach us a few things. Since all your credentials we see are you owning a 722 and being friends with Allan, I think we should pass.

As for the RS against the 722. I would classify the Nordschleife as a HP track and they are both running in the 7:40's with top drivers. So unless you are Michael Schumacher moonlighting as a forum a**hole, I would take my chances in the RS.

Feel free to go back to your rock now.

I am done with this thread, what a waste.

Ciao!
It is very hard to be tactful dealing with a moron like yourself.You really have no clue,NONE.
You don't know my credentials so don't speculate.
Am i friends with Allan? For sure and he is good one at that.
I love it when idiots like you bring up the Nurburgring immediately.Have you been there? I highly doubt it.
I have been to that track at least 10 times.It is not a hp track only but a mix of everything and very technical that is why a lot of the car manufacturers test their cars there.
Daytona and Sebring are examples of hp tracks and i guarantee you the GT3 wouldn't be anywhere close to the 722 on those 2 tracks.
And have no worries about me sharing experiences with you.You don't grasp them so might as well talk to a wall.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
This thread is now CLOSED. For those involved, and you know who you are, please reread the TOU. Especially the part that deals with behavior, language, etc.

Thank you for your attention.