SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Im sick of valets!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 SL55,'07 S550,'06 E55
Im sick of valets!!!

I just got a ticket for driving with my headlights off. Do these morons not understand that automatic means the lights go off on their own, they turn the lights off every time and I never notice it. Do you think I can at least go back and get my $10 back tomorrow, sorry for the rant I am just ticked off right now. Has this happened to any of you all before
Old 11-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Almost a Member!

SL55
sucks
Old 11-10-2007, 12:49 AM

04 SL55, 05 NSX, 05 996TT, 03 RR HSE, '08 S550
They're Valets...not rocket scientists. That's why I'll park my own cars.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:01 AM

SL55
Originally Posted by DannyM383
I just got a ticket for driving with my headlights off. Do these morons not understand that automatic means the lights go off on their own, they turn the lights off every time and I never notice it. Do you think I can at least go back and get my $10 back tomorrow, sorry for the rant I am just ticked off right now. Has this happened to any of you all before
Dude!

I would NEVER, NEVER...

Did I say; NEVER!!!

let Anyone TOUCH my car. PERIOD.

Best,

RoydRage
Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Almost a Member!

If you noticed a previous trend of valets always turning your lights off, shouldnt you get into the habit of checking them after getting your car back? And if it was dark out, how did you not notice they were off?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Question

Originally Posted by SLR199
If you noticed a previous trend of valets always turning your lights off, shouldnt you get into the habit of checking them after getting your car back? And if it was dark out, how did you not notice they were off?
Beat me to it,same question...
Btw,the other day a valet (young kid) was so excited to see an SL65, so I told him to take it around the block but not get in trouble.
Came back 5 minutes later with the biggest grin I've ever seen and brought the keys to my table.
Car parked up front...

Last edited by absent; 11-10-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by AMGNSX996TT
They're Valets...not rocket scientists. That's why I'll park my own cars.
Yup same here...
Old 11-10-2007, 01:48 PM

Black 'O8 SL55, Black GL450 loaded
Based on the OP, I would assume he noticed when one of Houston's finest was giving him a ticket
No valet for me, way too many horror stories out there.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:56 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
i have had 4 valets curb new wheels on my cars and only payed attention enough 1 time to get my money back....and that was because i caught it the next morning. usually they dont cover it if you dont catch it at the time of pick up...but the restaraunt knew i spend 10k plus a year there and frequent there often. if it wasnt for that they would of got me that time too. amazing how bad of drivers they are for a job that you would figure would require for driving ability...
Old 11-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by xraes
Based on the OP, I would assume he noticed when one of Houston's finest was giving him a ticket
No valet for me, way too many horror stories out there.
Well based on the OP, the valet continuously turn off his lights. I am assuming this is the first time he has gotten a ticket since he has not mentioned previous tickets from the other times the valet turned off his lights. Given this information provided, it has been known in the past that the valet turn off his lights. I dont know about you but if I noticed the trend of the valet turning off my lights, I would make it a priority to check them when getting my car back from valet. Also note that the OP contradicts himself in this quote:

they turn the lights off every time and I never notice it.
How can he not notice they turn them off everytime? He is stating the he in fact, DOES notice they turn them off everytime, by stating they turn the lights off everytime. So, on previous occasions when drving your car, how did you notcie the lights were off then, and make the assumption it was done by the valet. Surely you had to be drving, notice the lights were off, then think, "The valet must have turned off my lights." So what was so different about this particular occassion? You got a ticket for driving without your headlights. Suck it up, pay the ticket, and go on about your life. I dont see how the valet is at any fault here. Shouldnt it be your responsibility as a driver to make sure your lights are on? Personally, I dont see how its possible for anyone to drive with there lights off at night. I cant see a damn thing. That usually hits a note that "Hey, I cant see. Maybe I should turn on my lights."
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM

You name it i've had it or got it...
sheesh putting the guy on trial!!! he is just venting...must you beat him up over it.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:31 PM

'04 SL55,'07 S550,'06 E55

I swear this forum is like 90% good people and 10% a pain in the ***, every time I leave and then come back a few weeks later thinking maybe itll be different but it never is. I was merely saying how frustrated I was simply because valets at nice places park quite a few benzes and every single car has the same automatic lights yet these guys continue to turn the lights off manually. I was seeing if this happened often with any other members here.Yes it was dark and yes I should have noticed but you know what I didn't I'm sorry, continue with the grand inquisition.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:42 PM

Well based on the OP, the valet continuously turn off his lights. I am assuming this is the first time he has gotten a ticket since he has not mentioned previous tickets from the other times the valet turned off his lights. Given this information provided, it has been known in the past that the valet turn off his lights. I dont know about you but if I noticed the trend of the valet turning off my lights, I would make it a priority to check them when getting my car back from valet. Also note that the OP contradicts himself in this quote:

How can he not notice they turn them off everytime? He is stating the he in fact, DOES notice they turn them off everytime, by stating they turn the lights off everytime. So, on previous occasions when drving your car, how did you notcie the lights were off then, and make the assumption it was done by the valet. Surely you had to be drving, notice the lights were off, then think, "The valet must have turned off my lights." So what was so different about this particular occassion? You got a ticket for driving without your headlights. Suck it up, pay the ticket, and go on about your life. I dont see how the valet is at any fault here. Shouldnt it be your responsibility as a driver to make sure your lights are on? Personally, I dont see how its possible for anyone to drive with there lights off at night. I cant see a damn thing. That usually hits a note that "Hey, I cant see. Maybe I should turn on my lights."
Is life really that boring to pick apart a post like this?? Please, go wash your SLR, take up golf, get a pet.......something!!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
They don't hand out valet jobs to just anyone.....

But don't know of a decent office bldg/restaurant/hotel (almost all of which have valet pkg) in LA/SF/Chic, etc that doesn't let car nuts park own car in front (and away from plebeian cars/taxis/limos, etc) and keep own key...prefer car stay up-front near valets, to avoid vandalism, etc risk of self-parking in any public pkg garage/lot/street.....universal language of generous tips is very clear/effective

Valet my car (w/above controlled paramaters) daily at my office pkg garage and my usual daily dining spots, etc....and have never had an issue....in fact, one of my favored restaurants often has two-three CL63s or 599s parked in front....cars of regulars who tip valets well and have had similar positive expces....

Have zero interest in wasting time having a car repaired that is curb scuffed/dinged (or worse), no matter who pays....nor would I want to drive any car post-damage repair.....opportunity cost (of a guy who commutes via a new $150K+ car) vs trivial cost of a generous tip: easy analysis IMO....

Am OCD enough re: my cars/driving to have a start-up sequence w/my CL63 (lock doors; press seat mem button to reform bolster settings; put seat ventil and/or heat on; put lights on (for safety; DRL's/auto mode don't activate tail lts, esp in daytime; and, IMO, a lit-up car w/high-powered, advanced headlights and LED tail lts is so cool, even in daytime) so wouldn't forget anyway....these cars are simply too interesting to drive to not appreciate all the nuances that lesser/old-tech/older cars simply lack.....
Old 11-10-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by absent
Beat me to it,same question...
Btw,the other day a valet (young kid) was so excited to see an SL65, so I told him to take it around the block but not get in trouble.
Came back 5 minutes later with the biggest grin I've ever seen and brought the keys to my table.
Car parked up front...
*****, that's nice of you and surprising!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:32 PM

2008 Dodge Charger R/T
The first and last time I left my car with a valet, he had turned the lights off. They are valets for a reason...they're not rocket scientists. I wanted to leave my car with the valet in Vegas but they are such idiots, I don't trust any of them...I honestly think that they don't know the difference between a Hyundai and a Mercedes...
Old 11-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Whatever I feel like

That sucks man, I hate it when valets turn my auto lights off, move my steering wheel, my seat settings etc. I also hate it when car detailers do it. I hate it even more when the dealer does it. When I notice it, I think to myself, "Don't F'ing touch my settings, you idiots." I am paying them for their services, not make my life more difficult.

As for not noticing your lights were off, big deal, sometimes if the streets are lighted well enough you won’t notice it. Bottom line is the cop was just a huge d!ck who should have let you off with a warning after hearing your story.

There's nothing wrong with using a valet with your expensive cars. Most valets are decent and you always get the good upfront spots. They will usually watch out for your car as well if you tip them well. Sure some are morons and can possibly jack up your car, but if you are that worried about your car getting messed up you probably shouldn't be driving it. Anyone at anytime can smash their car door into yours when they park next to you and get out. That's a lot more common than any valet damage.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by acicchelli
That sucks man, I hate it when valets turn my auto lights off, move my steering wheel, my seat settings etc. I also hate it when car detailers do it. I hate it even more when the dealer does it. When I notice it, I think to myself, "Don't F'ing touch my settings, you idiots." I am paying them for their services, not make my life more difficult.

As for not noticing your lights were off, big deal, sometimes if the streets are lighted well enough you won’t notice it. Bottom line is the cop was just a huge d!ck who should have let you off with a warning after hearing your story.

There's nothing wrong with using a valet with your expensive cars. Most valets are decent and you always get the good upfront spots. They will usually watch out for your car as well if you tip them well. Sure some are morons and can possibly jack up your car, but if you are that worried about your car getting messed up you probably shouldn't be driving it. Anyone at anytime can smash their car door into yours when they park next to you and get out. That's a lot more common than any valet damage.
I don't mind if a detailer moves the seat. They have to so that they can clean the carpets well. There is really no reason that a service person at the dealer or a valet needs to move it unless they really can't fit. Usually they aren't driving it more than 50 feet.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I swear this forum is like 90% good people and 10% a pain in the ***, every time I leave and then come back a few weeks later thinking maybe itll be different but it never is. I was merely saying how frustrated I was simply because valets at nice places park quite a few benzes and every single car has the same automatic lights yet these guys continue to turn the lights off manually. I was seeing if this happened often with any other members here.Yes it was dark and yes I should have noticed but you know what I didn't I'm sorry, continue with the grand inquisition.
I understand your pain.......but I don't hand my car to the valet. Its just my rule. I have had more college kid patients over the years that work as valets, and lets just say that they pretty much 'drive 'em like they stole 'em'. That's their own words, as well as stories of dents, dings, and curbed wheels. You are my hero for letting them drive your car.....I just couldn't stand the stress!

You are probably lucky that all they have done is mess with the lights!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I am sure that as far as you are concerned, I am in the 10% category. I don't blame the guy for turning off your lights. Maybe he didn't know they would shut off automatically, or maybe he doesn't trust technology. As far as he is concerned, he is better off turning off your lights than draining your battery.

Would you complain if he adjusted your mirrors so that he wouldn't run into anything as he was backing your car into a parking spot then failed to return them to to the initial position before turning the car over to you?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM

Acura Integra

Hello, first post here. Just signed up an account so I can research Mercedes models. All I have to say is, WOW!!! How dare they to turn off your lights for you. How dare they not know Mercedes vehicles have auto shut off lights. Perfect example of people blaming others for their mistakes. Take ownership, and move on.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Cool

Originally Posted by xinlee
Hello, first post here. Just signed up an account so I can research Mercedes models. All I have to say is, WOW!!! How dare they to turn off your lights for you. How dare they not know Mercedes vehicles have auto shut off lights. Perfect example of people blaming others for their mistakes. Take ownership, and move on.
Agree totally.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by xinlee
Nice first post. How exactly does your post have anything to do with your "research"? I really don't get some of you guys, I think Danny was just venting in the O.P. I don't understand why all the petty B.S. has to follow. Too bad so many have nothing positive to add to ANY subject as well as apparent excess of time. MOVE ON!!