SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Two Tickets In Two Weeks...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black SL55
Two Tickets In Two Weeks...

Got my first ticket December 12 at about midnight for speeding. Going about 120 in a 65 mph. But the cop wrote me down for 100. Second ticket I got last night, for "dodging a checkpoint." There was a cop on a bike sitting waiting for someone to make a u-turn. Lucky enough it was me. When he pulled me over I told him I missed the turn for Del Taco ...and that didnt seem to fly to him. Gave me a ticket for tinted windows. Anyone know how to get out of both tickets? Number two especially. I dont really wanna get the tint taken off then have to put it back on.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 55 AMG
did the officer say he was gonna show up to court ?

the speeding ticket u shouldnt have a problem fighting it ..... its not that bad , he actually was nice enough to lower it .

its all about a good excuse . if u can convince the judge that u are a safe driver .sometimes u got to pay the ticket so u can save ur points .
As for the tints ... come up with something like... tell them maybe u got a darker tint because u have a hard time driving during the day with all the sun light ...u get blinded very easy, or u just preffer something more VIP.

overall ... just take the tickets either to a XCOPPER or fight them urself ..... if i were in ur shoes, ide be representing myself .

good luck !

next time have a cop detector they work wounders
Old 12-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by G_KATS

No he didnt say. And yes I do have one but lucky enough for me I unplugged it that night to charge my cell.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM

M Cars, old Corvettes, other old Detroit Muscle, etc.
Originally Posted by Flight_55
When he pulled me over I told him I missed the turn for Del Taco ...
Del Taco?? With your wheels worth more than that cop probably makes in two years, I wonder if he really believed you?

Next time, maybe you could try using something like Dunkin Donuts as the excuse
Old 12-23-2007, 05:51 PM

the speeding ticket u shouldnt have a problem fighting it ..... its not that bad , he actually was nice enough to lower it .

its all about a good excuse . if u can convince the judge that u are a safe driver .sometimes u got to pay the ticket so u can save ur points .
As for the tints ... come up with something like... tell them maybe u got a darker tint because u have a hard time driving during the day with all the sun light ...u get blinded very easy, or u just preffer something more VIP.

overall ... just take the tickets either to a XCOPPER or fight them urself ..... if i were in ur shoes, ide be representing myself .

good luck !

Depending on the jurisdiction, fighting tickets may only extend the conviction date past your next insurance renewal and cop detectors don't always work (like pulling a U-turn or smoking tires near a cop). Sometimes, the old eyeballs are your best detectors. Also, in some areas the judges will make you wait several hours to have the officer brought in and thus no instant dismissals.

I was busted circa 1984 on Pacific Coast Highway in the Los Angeles harbor area near all the oil refineries when I was still a smart-*** kid in my mid-30's. I smoked the tires and fish-tailed from a stop light plus blew through a school zone at 70 mph after my passenger said lets see what this car can do upon returning from a alcohol-free business lunch (and fortunately for me with regards to no boozing at that particular lunch .... unlike so many other business lunches of that era).

An LAPD motorcycle officer had been a few cars behind me at the light and nailed me ..... first thing he said waking up to my window with a smile: "I haven't nailed one of these new models yet." I was driving a new restyled 84 Corvette in triple black. I handed him my paperwork, and on advice from the refinery's Chief Engineer sitting next to me, I somehow managed to keep my mouth shut with both hands on the steering wheel while the officer lectured me about the school zone, etc.

He wrote me up for doing 45 in a 30 and exhibition of speed which made that a mandatory court appearance and a misdemeanor offense in California. However, because that stretch of PCH was clearly posted as a 40 mph zone (and not a 30), I decided to plead not guilty. My case hindged on the fact that the officer erred in listing the correct posted limit in the complaint, thus introducing reasonable doubt as to everything else he may have observed.

I managed to delay my trial to just before Christmas 1984 at my initial bail hearing and then posting bail (in hopes that the officer would be on vacation near Christmas as a back-up Plan B).

On the day of the trial, the judge and DA made me wait nearly 4 hours while they brought the officer in from where ever he was.

About 10 minutes before he showed up, I noticed about a dozen young attractive female courthouse employees milling around the back of the court room whispering the name of the arresting officer and nearly swooned as he entered the court room. He could have been a TV cop straight from the old television show CHiPs that ran from 1977 to 1983 .... something I had not noticed at the time of the pull-over.

On the witness stand upon cross examination, he looked at photos of the posted limit, then looked at the female judge, smiled and admitted under oath that he had made a mistake.

I almost tasted victory up until the point he smiled at the middle-aged judge ........ and her nearly instant ruling after closing arguments:

"40 is close enough to 30 .... Guilty on both counts and bail forfeited in the amount of $267 ...... Next Case!"

That's only about $550 in current U.S. dollars, however I'll bet the fine would be over $2500 today.

I've grown up a lot since that frustrating lesson in court and I've never been nailed since ..... because I try to drive eyes wide open with no tunes or NAV or cell phones or text messaging or cupholders or alcohol/drugs .....

Last edited by RRod; 12-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 PM

04 SL55, 05 NSX, 05 996TT, 03 RR HSE, '08 S550
Tickets suck...got mine last week. Time to install a V-1.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
dude 120 is f##king weak. wasting your car. next time go at least 150.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 PM

none
Originally Posted by ProV1
dude 120 is f##king weak. wasting your car. next time go at least 150.
Dude a brain can come in quite handy, invest!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by RRod
Del Taco?? With your wheels worth more than that cop probably makes in two years, I wonder if he really believed you?

Next time, maybe you could try using something like Dunkin Donuts as the excuse
LOL good point.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Definitely time to hardwire the V1!

I am surprised that they didn't charge you with a criminal traffic offense. Usually anything over 80 (or 25 over the limit), in most states is a big deal.

Perhaps you can go to traffic school?
Old 12-23-2007, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Got my first ticket December 12 at about midnight for speeding. Going about 120 in a 65 mph. But the cop wrote me down for 100. :
Wow you are a luck guy, I was a cop in my younger days. Normally you don't get just a ticket for that type of speed. You go to jail and get a speeding plus criminal driving charge. Even for 100 mph in a 65 you need to get a lawyer or you might have some problems in court.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I've been pulled over at 120 before and gotten let go, but you are right as I did need a lawyer and it cost me about $900, but in the end the lawyer got it totally dismissed.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Wow you are a luck guy, I was a cop in my younger days. Normally you don't get just a ticket for that type of speed. You go to jail and get a speeding plus criminal driving charge. Even for 100 mph in a 65 you need to get a lawyer or you might have some problems in court.

Originally Posted by Fantasm
I've been pulled over at 120 before and gotten let go, but you are right as I did need a lawyer and it cost me about $900, but in the end the lawyer got it totally dismissed.

I found out that you can postpone the court date, and you get a month and a half extra time. Then you can postpone it once again and you get another month. Then about three months or so go by - and hopefully the cop forgets who you are and what the case is about. This has happened to my friend before and he has gotten 4 or 5 tickets dismissed this way.

So even if I choose to do it this way - Should I still get a lawyer?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
yes... just suck it up and lawyer up. then you don't have to deal with anything at all. you most likely wont even end up in court. You'll get a call one day, after you've already forgotten about the ticket, from your lawyer telling you the ticket was dismissed.

there's no guarantee's though
Old 12-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by Fantasm
yes... just suck it up and lawyer up. then you don't have to deal with anything at all. you most likely wont even end up in court. You'll get a call one day, after you've already forgotten about the ticket, from your lawyer telling you the ticket was dismissed.

there's no guarantee's though
Why and how was your ticket dismissed ?

He wrote me down as a Infraction and not a Mistermeanor ... but in the long run I still want to look into getting a lawyer.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:02 PM

SL 55 AMG
With your wheels worth more than that cop probably makes in two years, I wonder if he really believed you?

I dont know where u live dude , but where i live 3rd year cops make up to 75 ,80 k a year easy . thats 20 shy off 100k which i think wouldnt be that hard to pull off another 20gz getting into relastate buying and flipping houses . on the side.

overall they get paid pretty decent down here in the tdot. but the crime rate now is beggining to rise and their salarys will increase .

Old 12-24-2007, 10:48 PM

With your wheels worth more than that cop probably makes in two years, I wonder if he really believed you?

I dont know where u live dude , but where i live 3rd year cops make up to 75 ,80 k a year easy . thats 20 shy off 100k which i think wouldnt be that hard to pull off another 20gz getting into relastate buying and flipping houses . on the side.

overall they get paid pretty decent down here in the tdot. but the crime rate now is beggining to rise and their salarys will increase .

As of April 2007, the median expected salary for a typical Police Patrol Officer in the United States is $46,596 excluding benefits:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...G12000003.html

Last edited by RRod; 12-24-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 PM

He wrote me down as a Infraction and not a Mistermeanor ... but in the long run I still want to look into getting a lawyer.
You should get a lawyer .... play it safe
Old 12-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Murcielago, Hummer, Road King Classic
They have several services that are actually quite well...
I believe one is called ticketbusters.com or something of that nature (there are several of them out there)...

Friends have gotten high speed tickets in their exotics and they took care of them..
Old 12-26-2007, 01:09 PM
JKK
Almost a Member!

Audi AS4
Got my first ticket December 12 at about midnight for speeding. Going about 120 in a 65 mph. But the cop wrote me down for 100. Second ticket I got last night, for "dodging a checkpoint." There was a cop on a bike sitting waiting for someone to make a u-turn. Lucky enough it was me. When he pulled me over I told him I missed the turn for Del Taco ...and that didnt seem to fly to him. Gave me a ticket for tinted windows. Anyone know how to get out of both tickets? Number two especially. I dont really wanna get the tint taken off then have to put it back on.
Not sure on the tint but I have fought and won my last 3 speeding tickets in CA. If your ticket is a CVC 22350 (basic speed law) you can have it dismissed. If it is a CVC 22349A (exceeding max speed limit) these are more difficult. The best is to plead not guilty by written decleration. If you are found guilty, you still have the option to plea in person. There is a 30% chance an officer will "no show" for your court date and if there are two (plane & ground) it is a 50% chance for a "no show". I'll take those odds...
Old 12-26-2007, 05:35 PM

2003 SL55 AMG, 2001 S430
Dino is right, you need a Valentine One hardwired in for sure. You would have picked him up before he picked you up
Old 12-27-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by hbluthi
Dino is right, you need a Valentine One hardwired in for sure. You would have picked him up before he picked you up
I second that recommendation .... I was accelerating through 135 mph in an M3 through remote eastern Washington State when my Valentine One started screaming about 1/4 mile from the next mild crest on the Interstate. I slowed down immediately to 70 mph just before reaching the crest. Just past that crest was a State Trooper laying in wait. I simply drove on by ..... and lived to drive fast for another day
Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
I was just about to post that that would be what would have happened to me but you took the words out of my mouth. I would have been handcuffed, hauled to the jail, stripped of all clothing, sprayed down with high pressure water hose, and the whole thing would have been announced on all 4 local T.V.news headlines at 10:00P.M.

It might even prompt a "breaking news" moment during a primetime show.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600

Meanwhile, you may want to consider placing a 3" block of wood between your gas pedal and the firewall to keep the speed down
Old 12-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Meanwhile, you may want to consider placing a 3" block of wood between your gas pedal and the firewall to keep the speed down
LOL , thanks guys.