SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Saw the new 2009 SL63 up close and personal.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Saw the new 2009 SL63 up close and personal.

I was driving in Palos Verdes on my way to visit my Mom and noticed a Black on Black debadged SL63 tester vehicle with "Mercedes Benz tester vehicle" in blue on the trunk badge area. It had NY plates I think, could have been a different state though. A female driver and an older gentlemen were sitting in it while parked in a residential neighborhood which was quite secluded in the heart of PV. I saw the car and took a closer look at it. The rear end looks nice and the same as the current model except for the diffuser which I do like. The sides of course dont look much different in person then the current model except for the vent area. The front wasnt that great to be honest...I didnt dislike it but it didnt have as much road presence as I thought it would. I talked with the driver about the "real" next SL and she said she had no idea when it would come out. I then drove next to her for 3 miles and looked at the car from many different angles while driving. The front doesnt look too nose heavy as some have said....and isnt bad looking at all. However it doesnt really do it for me style wise. This was a freshly washed 2009 Black SL63 and I guess I expected a lot. Nice car but Ill wait for the true redesign before paying $$$ for the current model with a new front end. Still this new SL is pretty nice for a last facelift...maybe Im just jaded from already owning 2 SL's in the last 4 years.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by CY
I was driving in Palos Verdes on my way to visit my Mom and noticed a Black on Black debadged SL63 tester vehicle with "Mercedes Benz tester vehicle" in blue on the trunk badge area. It had NY plates I think, could have been a different state though. A female driver and an older gentlemen were sitting in it while parked in a residential neighborhood which was quite secluded in the heart of PV. I saw the car and took a closer look at it. The rear end looks nice and the same as the current model except for the diffuser which I do like. The sides of course dont look much different in person then the current model except for the vent area. The front wasnt that great to be honest...I didnt dislike it but it didnt have as much road presence as I thought it would. I talked with the driver about the "real" next SL and she said she had no idea when it would come out. I then drove next to her for 3 miles and looked at the car from many different angles while driving. The front doesnt look too nose heavy as some have said....and isnt bad looking at all. However it doesnt really do it for me style wise. This was a freshly washed 2009 Black SL63 and I guess I expected a lot. Nice car but Ill wait for the true redesign before paying $$$ for the current model with a new front end. Still this new SL is pretty nice for a last facelift...maybe Im just jaded from already owning 2 SL's in the last 4 years.
We'll get used to it & will grow on us. For some reason sometimes Mercedes has this design and at first glance its like FUGLY but someway somehow we learn to accept the design and would eventually grow on us. As to my observation the front isn't that bad as long as you also pick a right color for it
Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Thx for obsvns....

Agree, if only based upon styling and non-perf tech, it's a no-brainer...would obviously get a new '09 CL63 030....SL63 030 is rather primitive on various tech fronts and has inferior safety vs any new AMG S/CL....

Reason I'm compelled to get SL63 030 is MCT and allegedly more precise chassis calibration.....if MCT/overall precision&stability is underwhelming, will trade-in for a new, '09 CL63 030/CL65.....
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL
i ll rather buy a R8 or 997 turbo or Maseratic GT instead of this SL63 which is just very little different from my 55.... i ll most likely wait for next gen SL....

there are too many great choices in this price range out there for me to wait for this SL growing on me.... what's the point anyway...

it's still a nice facelift... but i wonder who will buy it knowing there is another new one coming in 2 years... well of course except those who like to drive the latest model all the time and have all the money to do that... but for me... i feel guilty for not keeping the car for at least 5 years...
Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by SL%%
We'll get used to it & will grow on us. For some reason sometimes Mercedes has this design and at first glance its like FUGLY but someway somehow we learn to accept the design and would eventually grow on us. As to my observation the front isn't that bad as long as you also pick a right color for it
I agree with you about some new MB's being called fugly and then all of sudden being an instant success. However I dont think this updated SL is fugly by any means. It just looks like a 2003 SL with a custom diffuser and a newer front end. Its slightly more badass then the 2008 model just not enough IMO. As Ive said many times before, I dont like the idea of a completely new front mated with a dated side and rear no matter what the circumstances are.

Last edited by CY; 03-13-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by WSH
Thx for obsvns....

Agree, if only based upon styling and non-perf tech, it's a no-brainer...would obviously get a new '09 CL63 030....SL63 030 is rather primitive on various tech fronts and has inferior safety vs any new AMG S/CL....

Reason I'm compelled to get SL63 030 is MCT and allegedly more precise chassis calibration.....if MCT/overall precision&stability is underwhelming, will trade-in for a new, '09 CL63 030/CL65.....
Well I know youve owned many AMG SL, S and CL's before and am interested to hear your opinion when you see it in the flesh. I didnt drive it but from the outside I feel it is much less appealing then a CL63 which you already own. By the way the exhaust was quite deep and almost gurgled....almost sounded like a fixed up cobra mustang or something when she stepped on it lightly. I would keep the CL63 over this anyday but you do like to switch whips like kicks.

Last edited by CY; 03-13-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:05 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Originally Posted by phonetics
i ll rather buy a R8 or 997 turbo or Maseratic GT instead of this SL63 which is just very little different from my 55.... i ll most likely wait for next gen SL....

there are too many great choices in this price range out there for me to wait for this SL growing on me.... what's the point anyway...

it's still a nice facelift... but i wonder who will buy it knowing there is another new one coming in 2 years... well of course except those who like to drive the latest model all the time and have all the money to do that... but for me... i feel guilty for not keeping the car for at least 5 years...
I agree 100% with all aspects of your post.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Someone say people were lining up to buy these, so that would make you think that MB is not giving any great deals. Can get $20K+ off a better looking 2008. If you catch my drift
Old 03-14-2008, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by phonetics

Thing is that most people don't know that a new one is coming in 3 years or for the 2011/12 model year. If that were the case people wouldn't be buying the E-Class now either. Buyers that dont' read these boards have no idea about this stuff.

M