SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
^^^you got to look at it torque to weight
Old 04-02-2008, 04:19 PM

If you can afford the SL, go for it!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM

2018 SL 65 AMG 2017 GLE 63S 2015 RAM RT
I have an 07 ZO6 and really love it but right now I would go with the BENZ!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by alx
your question should be - do i want a pure sports car or a gt car?

answer that one and it will be easier to make your choice.

the sl65 is a car you can live with every day.

the zr1 will be a snotty weekend warrior and will always be a vette. it will most likely depreciate less as it costs less, aside from the potential collector status...

however, in a 20/20 - most people buy that type of cars not to drive them as they are intended to be driven, but to be associated with them... soooo- do again- ask yourself...

alex

few cars
+1, the real question is "what are your needs?" I would do a ZR1 and get myself a new Lexus LS460 with all the goodies. Top line performance and top line luxury/dependability. I think the ZR1 will be an automotive icon the day it is released and you will feel like a rock-star at how you are treated with it (not sure if you give a hoot about that or not). All I know is I hope it regains "#1" and beats the new MONSTER GT2 (I am a big "bang for the buck" fan).

A used SL65 @ 40% off original MSRP is tough to walk away from, though...

TK
E class with the "55" option
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM

05 E500
Go with the SL65! You won't regret it. The benz is a better quality car.
Well, I have seen many dejected faces at MB dealerships with their 65's that had either electrical gremlins or mechanical mishaps. (Transmissions going down into limp-mode, etc.) Having had a few Benz's myself, I have been in the waiting rooms as these people relayed their woes and "regrets" with the car, especially given the stratosphere pricing. (Most people purchase MB's for styling and prestige and MB well knows this. Their sales go up even as their complaints do as well, so they have little motive to change when the American appetite for status with their cars, disregards or conceals detractions.) And GM has been near or better than MB in "quality" reports (JDPower/Consumer Reports/Edmunds, etc.) over the last 5 to 6 years.

Corvette in particular has fared very well since the C5 and the C6 has been even better. Encouraging with today's economical, fuel efficiency considerate times, Z06 does not even suffer a gas-guzzler's tax even with all its power and performance. (65's are as thirsty as they come.) Not sure what the ratings in this regard will be for ZR1, but it will be assuredly better than 65.

Now, for safety, MB has few equals, but neither does Volvo. Of course, the ZR1 is built with racecar-like design, so one might be surprized at its structural integrity in this regard. But if we're comparing high speeds, you're walking the plank anyway.

Still, the premise should remain and has been exhausted in this thread - Luxury GT vs. Supercar.

One must know the difference and factor accordingly.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:49 PM

SL55, Jeep SRT-8, CLS550
It's hard to put a price or "value" on engineering. A lot of what you are paying for with MB is obviously what you can't see. I've had two friends get into pretty hard accidents in MB's and walk away, helped by the structural integrity.

Sadly, one acquaintance with a Z06 wrapped himself and his girlfriend around a tree a few months ago. The car literally exploded into parts and the skin melted, killing them both. I know one of the emergency responders on the scene, and even he was freaked out by the mess.

Purely a personal anecdote, but the point is that there is more to an automotive purchasing decision than Road & Track's 0-60 & 1/4 mile times and comparative values for the $.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Get the new Nissan that kicked both the 06 Vette and the Porsche TT.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Almost a Member!

1991 300CE
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Anybody ever drive a C6 Vette? Quality is excellent and liveability is at the top of the sports-car market. The ZR-1 comes with a adjustable suspension which can be softened for these bumpy US roads. My Z06 drives very comparable to the SL55 over the same roads. I can imagine the ZR1 to be great.

Also, it's going to be $95k cheaper. My dad is pricing up an 09 SL65 and it's around $195k.

But again, top of the line sportscar or top of the line gt.
Having driven a C6 Z51 6spd. for three years I'll chime in. Zero defects. Total depreciation in three years, $8,000. Quality? I witnessed the build at the Bowling Green, KY plant and drove the car off the line. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it. Anyone on that line can stop the line if they don't like something they see. I saw it happen. Performance? If I have to explain, nobody would understand. It's a race car with a license plate. Old pushrod technology? Only the winningest engine in history. Still looking for some competition in ALMS GT1 class. None is sight yet! I understand MB loyalty on this forum. Great cars, yes. Competition for a ZR1 in performance and price? Hardly! Flame suit on. Fire away!
Old 04-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you think that corvette has better build quality than MB, then you are mistaken. There are many cases of blown engines(http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1761866), as well as the infamous incidents of roofs flying off Z06's(http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1754230). Even after recall, roofs still fly off Z06's. Also, GM's service is abysmal, if you think Mercedes service is bad, then you've seen nothing yet. And don't even get me started on corvette's interior, which is probably the worst in the industry. Sure the SL has many electrical glitches, but its power train is rock solid and at least you don't have to worry about its roof falling off while driving
Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM

2006 CLK350
you could get an 09ZR1 + an 09 sl550 for roughly the same price as the SL65 alone.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by iguess
you could get an 09ZR1 + an 09 sl550 for roughly the same price as the SL65 alone.
If you are dumb enough to buy a new ones, yes you can. Or if you're a little smarter, you can buy one used with a couple thousand miles for under $100,000. Same price as new ZR1.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by Tuskir
If you are dumb enough to buy a new ones, yes you can. Or if you're a little smarter, you can buy one used with a couple thousand miles for under $100,000. Same price as new ZR1.
I suggest that dumb or smart choice is directly related to what your checkbook can handle. There are those to whom price is no object, so it's not dumb for them.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 PM

CL500 and ML55
Originally Posted by michbenz
Having driven a C6 Z51 6spd. for three years I'll chime in. Zero defects. Total depreciation in three years, $8,000. Quality? I witnessed the build at the Bowling Green, KY plant and drove the car off the line. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it. Anyone on that line can stop the line if they don't like something they see. I saw it happen. Performance? If I have to explain, nobody would understand. It's a race car with a license plate. Old pushrod technology? Only the winningest engine in history. Still looking for some competition in ALMS GT1 class. None is sight yet! I understand MB loyalty on this forum. Great cars, yes. Competition for a ZR1 in performance and price? Hardly! Flame suit on. Fire away!
Take the restrictor plate and added weight out of the Dodge Viper and there is a race the "vette" can not handle in GT1 class....
Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Almost a Member!

1991 300CE
Originally Posted by Tuskir
If you think that corvette has better build quality than MB, then you are mistaken. There are many cases of blown engines(http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1761866), as well as the infamous incidents of roofs flying off Z06's(http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1754230). Even after recall, roofs still fly off Z06's. Also, GM's service is abysmal, if you think Mercedes service is bad, then you've seen nothing yet. And don't even get me started on corvette's interior, which is probably the worst in the industry. Sure the SL has many electrical glitches, but its power train is rock solid and at least you don't have to worry about its roof falling off while driving
I live on the Corvette forum. One blown engine and 15,000 miles which was immediately replaced. God knows how it was driven considering the capabilities of the car. Delaminated roofs on painted roofs only. Bad glue. All replaced without question and recalled. Now lately I've been reading this forum to find out about the 91-96 wiring harness issue and MB's refusal to own up to the problem and fix it. The volume of expensive service problems and complaints about excessive depreciation is mind boggling for a car that is supposed to be the standard of the world. I respect your love for the marque but the word is out so take off your rose colored glasses. MB is recent years has produced some junk that hoardes of crappy dealers are uwilling or unable to fix. Sad state of affairs but fact nevertheless. Sad to say they are living off of their reputation. For all concerned I hope that changes. Nobody deserves to pay big bucks and then have to fight the seller to get what they paid for. Foreign or Domestic.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I live on the Corvette forum. One blown engine and 15,000 miles which was immediately replaced. God knows how it was driven considering the capabilities of the car. Delaminated roofs on painted roofs only. Bad glue. All replaced without question and recalled. Now lately I've been reading this forum to find out about the 91-96 wiring harness issue and MB's refusal to own up to the problem and fix it. The volume of expensive service problems and complaints about excessive depreciation is mind boggling for a car that is supposed to be the standard of the world. I respect your love for the marque but the word is out so take off your rose colored glasses. MB is recent years has produced some junk that hoardes of crappy dealers are uwilling or unable to fix. Sad state of affairs but fact nevertheless. Sad to say they are living off of their reputation. For all concerned I hope that changes. Nobody deserves to pay big bucks and then have to fight the seller to get what they paid for. Foreign or Domestic.

This is true, but GM products including the Chevy Corvette has been nothing but junk for years and they're just now starting to build something worth owning. Mercedes built quality cars before GM had a clue. Since 2005 Mercedes has gotten a lot better. The 2007 S, CL and other recent Mercedes prove they aren't living off their past reputation, they're building quality cars again. Something GM is just now learning to do. You've got to be kidding to come here with that GM bs lecturing Benz owners about quality. A Corvette is one of the flimsiest cars going..a plastic hell inside and out, but admittedly a lot of fun to drive, but quality. PLUHEASE.

M
Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Almost a Member!

1991 300CE
Originally Posted by Germancar1
This is true, but GM products including the Chevy Corvette has been nothing but junk for years and they're just now starting to build something worth owning. Mercedes built quality cars before GM had a clue. Since 2005 Mercedes has gotten a lot better. The 2007 S, CL and other recent Mercedes prove they aren't living off their past reputation, they're building quality cars again. Something GM is just now learning to do. You've got to be kidding to come here with that GM bs lecturing Benz owners about quality. A Corvette is one of the flimsiest cars going..a plastic hell inside and out, but admittedly a lot of fun to drive, but quality. PLUHEASE.

M
I'm not lecturing anybody. I am a Mercedes owner. I am reading posts and threads.........lots and lots of them. If thier recent quality has improved than I applaud them. In looking for a decent repair shop on this forum I have discovered that there are no positive posts recommending any where I live. Not particularly reassuring. If you haven't owned a recent Corvette than you would do well to stick to the facts since your opinion lacks credibility. Back to my statement that he ZR1 is unmatched in both PRICE AND PERFORMANCE I'll stick to that assertion. You don't agree, that's certainly your right. Stop reading between the lines and re-read my post. It IS possible to disagree without being disagreeable. I'm a big fan of many high performance cars. I'll leave the brand fanatacism to the Harley crowd, of which I own several.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 AM
NSM

SL65
I have a tuned SL65 and it is a monster street car. If you plan on any road track time, get the vette. No bigger bang for the buck out there. I had a nicely sorted 07 STi on the track this weekend. The only cars getting by me were three Z06s. They accelerate well, brake well, and turn well. What more could you ask for?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 AM

SL

i am really just curious... did they replace the engine and roof or the entire car?

by the way, when this kinda thing happens, i don't think they will be resistant and make a big fuss out of it... that's the LEAST they can do... human lives are at stake here...

with all due respect, i have never heard mb has such ridiculous quality issues...

do u mean just because it has great performance and great pricing... it's justified for its roof fall off??
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM

SL
Originally Posted by AMGFREAK
Ok guys I need opinions... New Vette ZR1 or SL65..... The new vette is smoking hot..... And I have been been a Benz guy for years. Thanks for the feedback.

if u have been a mb guy for years, i will suggest u to stick to mb...

once u get used to the 'smoking hot' factor (maybe a month or so), all is left you see is the bad quality, bad interior and etc etc... and then that day... u ll go back to mb...

but it's okay for u... then give it a try..
Old 04-14-2008, 12:42 PM

05 E500
with all due respect, i have never heard mb has such ridiculous quality issues...
You have to be kidding, right?

This is very well documented and is even acknowledged by Montvale and upwards. (They even gave us MBCA members special numbers to call to try and handle the excessive issues at the dealerships.)

Since 2005 Mercedes has gotten a lot better. The 2007 S, CL and other recent Mercedes prove they aren't living off their past reputation, they're building quality cars again. Something GM is just now learning to do.
I sure hope you're right about MB improving in reliability. They sure need to. As far as the GM comparison, remember to keep things in perspective. Chevrolet is known for value while MB is a marque brand. Setbacks with the former are far more expected and acceptable with the former versus the latter. Besides, if you have checked automotive reporting groups over the last several years, GM (Buick in particular, but Chevrolet as well) has been listed at the same or better than MB in many quality categories with fewer dealer service call incidents accounted for, especially with Corvette. (This new Z06 roofline issue is an exception to the overall numbers.)

Corvette is one of the flimsiest cars going..a plastic hell inside and out
If you're referring to the lower grade interior components (which are improving substantially in Corvette), again, remember, the bang for the buck is the feature there. If you want top interior components, this will naturally bring the price up (and in the case of MB, not necessarily ensure that the electrical and mechanical aspects tow the line despite the steeper price). If one wants a true sportscar without all the other added frills, this is the thinking. (I find it very telling that if Ferrari and others have stripped down interiors that this is perfectly acceptable given their performance, but corvette is not permitted the same perceptions.) And did I mention that Corvette does not suffer a gas-guzzler's tax?

Yet, Corvette led with many innovative technologies and creature comforts (check the interior options list). And notice how BMW (and some others) have now added Head-Up Display, Magnetic Shocks and other features pioneered and engineered by GM (Corvette and Cadillac). But all the Euro guys are singing BMW's praise for these features totally ignorant of their origins. The Euro enthusiasts paid no attention when these were Corvette features - only when they became admired and duplicated by the Germans did such things bare worthiness. Again, very telling of the bias.

Finally, if you're referring to the exterior composite materials (which you infer "plastic," if this was your meaning), know that this is actually a plus for performance cars and in no way suggests poor build quality or lack of safety consideration. Racecars (even Formula One - the pinnacle of motorsports) are built for maximum performance and safety, and composite materials are standard in every series except NASCAR, where full metal exterior is still leftover from their roots and the rules of this bare bones series. Metal skin does not necessarily mean better.

I've had two friends get into pretty hard accidents in MB's and walk away, helped by the structural integrity. Sadly, one acquaintance with a Z06 wrapped himself and his girlfriend around a tree a few months ago. The car literally exploded into parts and the skin melted, killing them both.
Yet we don't know the other factors involved here with these incidents. I'm not by any means contending that Corvettes (or much else besides Volvos) are built with stronger structural integrity, but only that there are many aspects not offered here (and not documented) for one to go by simply with this illustration. Speed differential, angle and conditions all play a role in severity of accidents. Sportscars, especially supercars, are built for performance, yet must meet certain safety compliance before being introduced to the public. Heavy luxury cruisers can extend the safety features at some loss to performance. (The SLR is probably the world's best balance there.)

Still cannot believe we're comparing an all-out supercar with a heavy (power hardtop convertible) cruiser. I'm simply responding to comments toward build quality, reliability, value/price for both and the results thereof, respectively.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-14-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
I'm not lecturing anybody. ... I'll leave the brand fanatacism to the Harley crowd, of which I own several.
from that comment, it seems as if you own several people from the Harley crowd
Old 04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

1991 300CE
Originally Posted by c2jones
You have to be kidding, right?

This is very well documented and is even acknowledged by Montvale and upwards. (They even gave us MBCA members special numbers to call to try and handle the excessive issues at the dealerships.)

I sure hope you're right about MB improving in reliability. They sure need to. As far as the GM comparison, remember to keep things in perspective. Chevrolet is known for value while MB is a marque brand. Setbacks with the former are far more expected and acceptable with the former versus the latter. Besides, if you have checked automotive reporting groups over the last several years, GM (Buick in particular, but Chevrolet as well) has been listed at the same or better than MB in many quality categories with fewer dealer service call incidents accounted for, especially with Corvette. (This new Z06 roofline issue is an exception to the overall numbers.)

If you're referring to the lower grade interior components (which are improving substantially in Corvette), again, remember, the bang for the buck is the feature there. If you want top interior components, this will naturally bring the price up (and in the case of MB, not necessarily ensure that the electrical and mechanical aspects tow the line despite the steeper price). If one wants a true sportscar without all the other added frills, this is the thinking. (I find it very telling that if Ferrari and others have stripped down interiors that this is perfectly acceptable given their performance, but corvette is not permitted the same perceptions.) And did I mention that Corvette does not suffer a gas-guzzler's tax?

Yet, Corvette led with many innovative technologies and creature comforts (check the interior options list). And notice how BMW (and some others) have now added Head-Up Display, Magnetic Shocks and other features pioneered and engineered by GM (Corvette and Cadillac). But all the Euro guys are singing BMW's praise for these features totally ignorant of their origins. The Euro enthusiasts paid no attention when these were Corvette features - only when they became admired and duplicated by the Germans did such things bare worthiness. Again, very telling of the bias.

Finally, if you're referring to the exterior composite materials (which you infer "plastic," if this was your meaning), know that this is actually a plus for performance cars and in no way suggests poor build quality or lack of safety consideration. Racecars (even Formula One - the pinnacle of motorsports) are built for maximum performance and safety, and composite materials are standard in every series except NASCAR, where full metal exterior is still leftover from their roots and the rules of this bare bones series. Metal skin does not necessarily mean better.

Yet we don't know the other factors involved here with these incidents. I'm not by any means contending that Corvettes (or much else besides Volvos) are built with stronger structural integrity, but only that there are many aspects not offered here (and not documented) for one to go by simply with this illustration. Speed differential, angle and conditions all play a role in severity of accidents. Sportscars, especially supercars, are built for performance, yet must meet certain safety compliance before being introduced to the public. Heavy luxury cruisers can extend the safety features at some loss to performance. (The SLR is probably the world's best balance there.)

Still cannot believe we're comparing an all-out supercar with a heavy (power hardtop convertible) cruiser. I'm simply responding to comments toward build quality, reliability, value/price for both and the results thereof, respectively.
Objectivity and reasoned thinking are alive and well on this forum. This is just one example of the many I've read as I look for information. This is a great place to gain knowledge about the marque that has been helpful and has saved me money as well. I plan to keep reading and learning. Flame suit and all.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:27 PM

05 E500
Objectivity and reasoned thinking are alive and well on this forum. This is just one example of the many I've read as I look for information. This is a great place to gain knowledge about the marque that has been helpful and has saved me money as well. I plan to keep reading and learning.
Thanks MichBenz.

Bear in mind, though, that just as in Corvette Forum (or any others that we participate in), this forum has both its shining moments and not so shining moments. I've seen brilliant comments posted from people "saving up" for a new base C6, C-Class, 3 Series, A4, etc., to completely outlandish comments coming from those whom purport owning multiple Callaways, SLR's, M6's, R8's and alike. There is no sure way to ever tell where the ration will be predominant or otherwise, respectfully.

Like you, I enjoy the merits of all makes and manufacturing efforts and can find redeeming elements in them all. I admire many cars and their history, legacy and direction. I revel at their motorsports efforts and new design and innovation angles for their own rights. I was never a brand-name loyalist that is blind beyond everything other than a particular pet niche car. Its sad when we have to see this deficiency in this or any forum. (This forum is pretty good with diversity, though. I've seen some real kooks over there in the Corvette forums overly intoxicated/affixed to their own car, too. I have had to defend MB quite a bit there. Shame.)

I like pure honesty; good, bad or otherwise. I think these forums could truly benefit us all as interactive information sharing dialogs that will only advance our user experiences overall. No need for squabbling over a pet brand like juveniles.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you benefit from the interaction here. I think you will.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-14-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
NSM

SL65
Unfortunately, I have no pet brand. I own way too many to be attached to one of them...

I agree wholeheartedly with open and objective discussion.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
I have been reading this thread for a few days now, and I haven't been able to respond as I have been on probation... This is my opinion- If you can do without the (most of the time) useless crap in an MB get the Corvette. That car wil make you believe in god, no matter what religion you will begin to believe in, if you throw an Athiest behind the wheel he will know that man couldn't have built the ZR1 on his own. On the other hand, the stiffness of the ZR1 will drive you nuts on a day to day basis, but your getting something that can literally outrun the octane that fuels it in the quarter mile for 100k (check TopGear, and that was the Z06). But if you want something that the wife (if you're married) wont moan and ******** about, get the SL. My final verdict in this case- save the extra 70k or so that the 65 will run you and get the ZR1. If its too rough for you, switch it up in a few years and pocket the saved money. And my personal opinion is that no matter where you live a ZR1 wil be more scarce than any 65.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???