SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
the automatic transmission and vario roof - both of which are not available on the ZR1...The ZR1 will be a beast of sports car, but the SL should continue the tradition of GT open top motoring
Yes, this has been all duly noted previously. One car is a true supercar with lightweight advanced composites (carbon fiber), paddleshifters and fixed roof construction while the other is a heavy, automatic, luxury GT cruiser, with yes, features like a power hardtop convertible, etc. These cars are not in competition with one another. Their target market is entirely different. Also mentioned was the collectors factor. ZR1 will have a huge novelty advantage. And Barrett Jackson will confirm that Corvette is king of the collectibles.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-22-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by c2jones
Quality (reliability/defects) issues were in no way limited to the lesser priced models. The higher priced models had more than their share of mishaps as well. This was what made all this so repulsive and antagonizing to many MB owners. Even if one spent well north of $100K, this was far from assuring that one would not be plagued with setbacks. A notion of MB's efforts to compete in a budget market is really not at all the factor here.

I don't think you could necessarily produce records to show that the C-Class was more problematic than the upper class models. Surely there were more C-Class vehicles on the road as MB had record sales with C-Class. But per ratio, not sure your position would hold up. (We personally had less issues with our C's than our E's, and we saw this to be the case amongst other fellow MBCA members and various MB car meets.) While at dealerships, I noticed many S, SL and CL vehicles in for service and the service managers confirmed the frequency. I would say that MB's electrical issues did not necessarily play favorites amongst models, although the previous ML seemed to have an abundance of problems.
I think its just cool that a english teacher can afford a 2005 E class MB
Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM

05 E500
I think its just cool that a (an) e English teacher can afford a 2005 E class MB
You copied the whole posting to say this? Glad you think its cool. It goes to show you that what one affords has little to do with their educational merit, doesn't it? You prove that.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 PM

'04 SL55,'07 S550,'06 E55

this thread is too funny its apples and oranges....corvette vs sl65, the price difference is almost 100K....the class difference as in if you were going to a nice restraunt is a nonfactor as the SL wins hands down....and the wow factor as if you were at a nightclub is hands down in favor of the SL.....the corvette is faster in a straight line who cares, can you massage your butt doing 150 in a corvette? Can you drop the hardtop in 15 seconds on a corvette? Can you have beautiful leather and a nice sound system without plastic bits in a corvette? Exactly the SL cost more for a reason, they're in the same class 0-60 wise but thats where the comparison ends. I really can't believe the corvette is in the $100K range now its almost laughable.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM

05 E500
the corvette is faster in a straight line who cares, can you massage your butt doing 150 in a corvette?
This shows how primitive and out of touch you are. The days of Corvettes just being straightline cars have been over for several years now. Your perceptions are extremely dated and reveal your mindset. There is not a roadcourse in the world that ZR1 would not be more than a match for SL65 - anywhere, anytime.

As far as massaging one's butt at 150 MPH. Ah, this takes the cake. If this is a priority to you, then you truly don't know what a supercar is and you'll never have a clue there. If the Corvette guys could read this one, they would see MB people like you as pampered fools, not serious performance enthusiasts. What a joke.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-22-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:23 PM

that red one
This shows how primitive and and out of touch you are. The days of Corvettes just being straightline cars have been over for several years now. Your perceptions are extremely dated and reveal your mindset. There is not a roadcourse in the world that ZR1 would not be more than a match for SL65 - anywhere, anytime.

As far as massaging one's butt at 150 MPH. Ah, this takes the cake. If this is a priority to you, then you truly don't know what a supercar is and you'll never have a clue there. If the Corvette guys could read this one, they would see MB people like you as pampered fools, not serious performance enthusiasts. What a joke.
Agree completely c2jones

Just for kicks, I had my uncle who owns a Z06 and my husband who owns a Viper skim through this thread - they both laughed their a$%'s off
Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM

CLS63, GLK350
You copied the whole posting to say this? Glad you think its cool. It goes to show you that what one affords has little to do with their educational merit, doesn't it? You prove that.
Very true, we hire guys like you for your e merit
Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM

2006 CLK350
So who cares if the ZR1 is faster in a straight? Well what do you care about then? I know the MAJORITY of us wouldnt be able to go 170mph around a ring and live. The BOTTOM LINE is, you're getting a 100K car than can out perform supercars that cost way more (even the "cheap" f430, or the gallardo are both 2.5x's the price) . I would definitely recommend the ZR1 if you're looking for a performance car. I still stick by my original recommendation, get the ZR1 for the days you want to go fast, and a new 09SL550 for the days you want to roll around in something more refined. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM

'04 SL55,'07 S550,'06 E55

the nissan gt-r can run circles around a murcielago or a f430 or an sl65 but you know what i guarantee you that 99.99% of owners will not even exceed 150 in their cars. I've had an SL55 for over a year now and while I consider myself a performance guy I'm not too crazy about killing myself. I enjoy the acceleration of my car as much as anyone but does that mean I'd trade my SL55 for a nissan Gt-r or a corvette z06? Absolutely not because the mercedes or ferrari possess something the Gt-R and Z06 will never have its called class. Im not gonna argue this point any further over a forum its ridiculous buy the new vette or GT-R and go 185 mph all day long for all i care. I never said theres anything wrong with a vette its just that I said I'll take my mercedes and cruise and take the front spot in the valet at the best restaraunt Id like to see a vette or Gt-R do that!

Last edited by DannyM383; 04-22-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
As a Vette fanatic I can't read these posts and not stick up for my home team. My first thought is..a SL65? Your kidding right? The closest competition from Benz would be the SLR, not in price but in performance. Then I would like to add that for all those that feel the Vette is another cookie cutter car from G.M. keep in mind that the Vette is built in a specific plant in Bowling Green Kentucky and only has the Cadillac XLR (sister car) being built in the same plant. In the case of the ZR1 the engine is hand built by a single person just as the AMG engine is. But, all that doesn't matter if your blinded by the big star on the front of your car, no matter what someone says your going to have your opinions which is fine, this is a free country after all.

More on the original topic of this thread, might you consider a Z06 instead of a ZR1? Honestly the Z06 is the better all around car, the ZR1 will be one mighty beast when unleashed but its going to go fast in straight lines, the Z06 will most likely carve circles around it and the rest of the competition.

By the way..if your looking for an interesting read there was an article in Car and Driver last year about a Vette test mule car that they took on an off road trip to the Yukon. The car had been a test mule for quite some time, had different engine and drive train setups and yet still made it through an off road trip (many of the roads were nothing more than gravel and sometimes mud roads) without a hiccup. Try that in your SL ha ha.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...vorces_feature
Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by DannyM383
the nissan gt-r can run circles around a murcielago or a f430 or an sl65 but you know what i guarantee you that 99.99% of owners will not even exceed 150 in their cars. I've had an SL55 for over a year now and while I consider myself a performance guy I'm not too crazy about killing myself. I enjoy the acceleration of my car as much as anyone but does that mean I'd trade my SL55 for a nissan Gt-r or a corvette z06? Absolutely not because the mercedes or ferrari possess something the Gt-R and Z06 will never have its called class. Im not gonna argue this point any further over a forum its ridiculous buy the new vette or GT-R and go 185 mph all day long for all i care. I never said theres anything wrong with a vette its just that I said I'll take my mercedes and cruise and take the front spot in the valet at the best restaraunt Id like to see a vette or Gt-R do that!
+10 I think what we have in this discussion is guys that are looking at pure bang for the buck versus class for the buck that includes performance. I would never consider a ZO6 or a ZR1 for the reasons you have mentioned.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
As a Vette fanatic I can't read these posts and not stick up for my home team. My first thought is..a SL65? Your kidding right? The closest competition from Benz would be the SLR, not in price but in performance. Then I would like to add that for all those that feel the Vette is another cookie cutter car from G.M. keep in mind that the Vette is built in a specific plant in Bowling Green Kentucky and only has the Cadillac XLR (sister car) being built in the same plant. In the case of the ZR1 the engine is hand built by a single person just as the AMG engine is. But, all that doesn't matter if your blinded by the big star on the front of your car, no matter what someone says your going to have your opinions which is fine, this is a free country after all.

More on the original topic of this thread, might you consider a Z06 instead of a ZR1? Honestly the Z06 is the better all around car, the ZR1 will be one mighty beast when unleashed but its going to go fast in straight lines, the Z06 will most likely carve circles around it and the rest of the competition.

By the way..if your looking for an interesting read there was an article in Car and Driver last year about a Vette test mule car that they took on an off road trip to the Yukon. The car had been a test mule for quite some time, had different engine and drive train setups and yet still made it through an off road trip (many of the roads were nothing more than gravel and sometimes mud roads) without a hiccup. Try that in your SL ha ha.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...vorces_feature
Based on what you value in a performance vehicle you need to drop the Vette and go with the new nissan GTR. looks like it will run circles around the vette for the same bucks.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by michbenz
Car and Drivers 10 Best 2008

PORSCHE? Yup!
BMW? Yup!
CORVETTE? Yup! For 7 straight years.

You need to pass your thoughts on the their editors because they apparently overlooked the interior issue that you find so all consuming when they made those 7 consecutive awards. Don't forget to ask why MB missed the list and get back to all of us when you find out. Inquiring minds want to know.
Apparently you haven't been reading and/or paying attention to the discussion here. For what Car and Driver likes the Corvette for it is deserving of their award. Performance wasn't in question here. Oh the art of paying attention.

M
Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 AM

05 E500
Based on what you value in a performance vehicle you need to drop the Vette and go with the new nissan GTR. looks like it will run circles around the vette for the same bucks.
My goodness. This must be MB fanatics night at the zoo or something. (For those just tuning in, they're not all like this.) This thread pertains to SL65 and the ZR1 Corvette. (They are really not in the same buyer category, but somehow we're off in a tangent about quality and value.) As far as value, the ZR1 has no equals (including GT-R). ZR1 exhibits true supercar performance at any price, especially the pricing its offered at. It also will be a solid car with exceptional, advanced features as discussed previously here.

Being that some here keep citing GT-R (as their handy pocket tool to counter the Corvette), let's keep things in proper perspective. The GT-R will be a great budget rocket, but its no ZR1, of course. It was not targeted for that. GT-R is hoping to stay near Z06 - it has no illusions of staying par with ZR1. GT-R has 480-hp and is a hefty 3858 pounds. This car weighs 696 pounds more than a Corvette Z06 - that's 22% more! Z06 has a potent 505 horses and its considerably lighter than GT-R. Translation: GT-R will have its hands full with Z06.

But the 100 horsepower per liter of ZR1? Please. ZR1 will produce greater than 620 horsepower (some say close to 635) and more than 600 full pound-feet of torque. It'll produce more power than the Corvette C6.R that races at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with championships aplenty. ZR1 is well above the legs of GT-R. (Sorry, I know some of you wanted to undermine ZR1 further with the bang for the buck scenario of GT-R.)

Finally, ZR1 is devastatingly fast, but it's also intended to be civilized. It's available with a head-up instrument display, power-adjustable seats, high-end audio and Delphi's smooth-riding MagneRide suspension dampers. It's no raw-boned racer. 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units. (Standard equipment on the 1,000-hp Bugatti Veyron.)

Too many of you are grossly underestimating the ZR1. You have much to learn. Let's see these cars for their unique purposes for which they were built. Few production cars could dream of matching this car's track numbers, and the few that may are priced many times into the stratosphere.

Last edited by c2jones; 04-23-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 AM

05 E500
By the way..if you're looking for an interesting read, there was an article in Car and Driver last year about a Vette test mule car that they took on an off road trip to the Yukon. The car had been a test mule for quite some time, had different engine and drive train setups and yet still made it through an off road trip (many of the roads were nothing more than gravel and sometimes mud roads) without a hiccup. Try that in your SL ha ha. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...vorces_feature
Very solid point here. Fitting article.

(BTW, off-topic, you have one of the sharper R Series I've seen.)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:50 AM

05 E500
Car and Drivers 10 Best 2008
Performance wasn't in question here.
Being tops with C&D does not conclude that they favor performance over quality. They would affirm that they looked at everything altogether and made overall selections.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 AM

05 E500
I'll take my mercedes and cruise and take the front spot in the valet at the best restaraunt Id like to see a vette or Gt-R do that!
Did I say feeding time at the zoo or what? Do you have any idea how trivial and pompous you present with such antics? And many of Corvettes have their share of valet parking "front spots." (This is getting as outlandish as it gets. Shame, this was a very productive and worthy discussion.)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay. All cars are the same then; there are no luxury cars and bargain cars. One should expect the same features, appointments and premium luxury in all cars even if one costs twice as much or more than another. I was thinking that luxury cars came with lush appointments because they're looking to distinguish themselves from non-luxury cars and acquire higher expenditures upon said cars. Silly me. Wonder then why people would pay more for one over another and find status in one over another if they are all presented to be the same...
Guy you're confused. Severly. You're the on here talking about a Corvette on a MB board trying to draft some lame argument about how the Corvette compares when it doesn't. Neither the Corvette or a Mercedes compares to each other at what they do best. Again, what is the point of this ridiculous discussion?

I find your perspective highly erroneous, but you have a right to it. We have fundamental differences here.
Thank you, likewise I find yours to be nothing more than an excuse making session for GM. Again, what is the point of this ridiculous discussion?

The build quality in ZR1 will be more than adequate, especially considering what one is getting for that price. You're altogether too caught up in being bathed in luxury. You should never stray from a luxury car then. But for those looking for a supercar with astonishing performance characteristics similar to exotics costing several times as much, all for $100K, the ZR1 fits this bill perfectly. The car is built with advanced composite and aluminum (racecar like) features and yet is street-legal and has many nice driver-friendly features for the price. Quite a deal indeed. But its not for you. That's fine. But its quality is fine; fit, finish and everything.
You just don't get it do you? A Porsche is not a luxury car, it is sports car that shames a Corvette in build quality. Please quit trying to act like the ZR-1 is going to be built oh so much better than a regular Corvette. I see no indcation (other than wrapping all that plastic in leather) that it will be. Like I said before, FORGET LUXURY CARS, THERE ARE OTHER SPORTS CARS THAT ARE BUILT BETTER THAN A CORVETTE. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Again, you're trying to give the Corvette a pass on having a plastic hell of an interior and lousy seats and other ill-build items because it can perform. That is the basis of your whole argument and it doesn't wash.

Chevrolet is the lowest tier of the GM brands, sir. (You keep throwing in references to Malibu, and expect MB appointments from ZR1 [despite the fact that they're offering a supercar with a factory warranty for that price] so I simply reminded you that Corvette is from Chevrolet - a bargain performance division on the bottom of the GM family, not a luxury brand.)
So what! A 100K car is a 100K car, don't care who makes it. When a company, any company asks a projected 100K for a car, they upgrade it all the way around, not just the performance. If the Corvette is so much a "Chevrolet" then why are you here? A Chevy is nothing compared to a Benz.

Of course none of these makes offer a supercar for this price. None! These makes (two owned by Ford until just recently) were known for their plush interiors and fit and finish, but don't even mention reliability. The joke with Jaguar and Aston was that one always needed two: one to drive while the other was in the garage. But you give less consideration to all that, just as long as it presents as sweet luxury, you'll make do with the rest.
Wrong again. That was the joke with a Jaguar, they're reliabilty improved greatly under Ford. Aston-Martin doesn't bother itself with surveys so I don't know how "reliable" an Aston-Martin is now. Likewise for you long as a car is reliable it can built like a tin can and long as it peforms it doesn't have to feel like a 100K car, it can have the same slapshod built of a mere "Chevrolet".

Again, if you want pure luxury and a pure supercar all for $100K, you're asking too much. Go take a C-Class to RennTech or someone and see what they can do for your combined $100K (including cost of vehicle).
Lost. What is the point of this statement?

Maybe they'll install a jet engine into your beautifully lush, premium leather motor carriage. Just kiss your factory warranty goodbye. For most people, what ZR1 offers all inclusive for that price, is rather fair. It will feel every bit worthy of $100K and a whole lot more when you ask it to do what it was designed to do.
May as well with the one-track, one-sided view you have of a 100K car.

I know this and I have fully detailed this to you over and over again. The build quality is not so dissimilar that that the other factors (like reliability) should not weigh in. This was the point and it stands. I mean exactly what I say and say exactly what I mean.
No it doesn't. A Porsche Boxster has a better build and it is in similar price neighborhood.

But many of us do not regard the ZR1 interior as "cheapo" whatsoever. This is your personal obsession. Ragged edges and fit and finish issues? Both Corvette and pricey Benzes (costing TWICE as much) have had issues in this regard from time to time.
Yep, many don't...and this means what exactly? Benz HAD issues with this, Corvette still does. Big Difference. Having an interior worth of the asking price is not an obsession, it is very fair expectation. Now overlooking this because of performance is fine, but don't come here and tell me that a Benz is in the same boat now regarding fit and finish because a Benz isn't. Not anymore. Any Benz that costs twice as much as a Corvette now has no such issues. Period.

I don't feel that those things are all that bad on Corvette at all. Sure, Corvette has been under par for many years and still has room to improve.
Sure you don't because you're blinded by performance, which is not really a bad thing, but just as you say I'm to the extreme about fit and finish you're the same way about making excuses for things that wouldn't be tolerated in a Camry much less what supposed to be a world-class sports car. Some of the things I've noticed on Corvettes GM should be ashamed of.

But in the case of ZR1 needing to wrap you in plush utopia for the $100K? Nope. Woefully unfair.
You're right it is unfair, which is why I've never said it should. I said that it should have a better interior than cheaper GM cars. Is that not fair? Is that not reasonable? Everyone else does it, pay more for a more expensive model in their lineup you can feel it from the moment you sit down...why should GM's Corvette be any different? Not saying it should have a Benz/Audi level interior....NO it shouldn't but hell it should be better than a Malibu or CTS. Maybe the C7 will fix this because the C6 didn't.

Its build quality is fine and, considering that it offers all that performance for that price straight from the factory under warranty, my goodness is that a deal. You're truly missing something.
There it is, a grand excuse. No the Corvette's build quality isn't "fine", it is "decent" or "ok", but fine it isn't. Only to a blind GM loyalist, and there are plenty. Considering all the performance it offers.....lets just forget that is still an anywhere from 50-100K car. You just don't get it, most GM loyalist don't. Speed, price, forget everything else.

Actually, Europeans have developed quite an appetite for Corvette. When the ALMS teams go over to Le Mans they get huge fanfare with their street parade promotions.
Really, and how many of them do they buy? I was talking about European reviews of the Corvette, you know the production model you buy and drive home.

You look. My statement stands. (No one started a conversation about Corvette quality. The input on the Corvette side was strictly reactionary to the (often blind MB loyalists...) A comment was made about the quality of MB being better and so on.
Your statement fell many posts ago. You're views on the Corvette are just as blind as any MB loyalist here. MB's build quality is better so you need not have commented in the first place then.

I never said that you dismissed MB's culpability for reliability.
Sure you did, which is why I posted that post from another forum in which I ran down MB's problems in detail.

Only that you regard this as less substantial than the fit and finish aspects and that somehow paying twice the price for fit and finish is a better strategy than getting equal or better reliability for half the price.
In the case of the SL and a Corvette I do. You're getting so much more car with the SL than you are a Corvette, which is really a one trick pony next to a SL. Sure the Corvette is more fun around a track and much cheaper, but you get what you pay for once you have to take in your surroundings. A plastic hell, no thanks. Reliability the SL can't brag about, but they aren't on the side of the road with their hoods up either. The current SL was a mess in the beginning, but lately that hasn't been the case at all.

And, in the case of ZR1, even its performance numbers combined with very respectable reliability all for the $100K somehow does not cut it with you, unless and until it meets YOUR standards in fit and finish, even though the fit and finish angle is far from universal in acceptance and value with most others.
I didn't say it didn't "cut it" with me, I said your excuses didn't. Furthermore we don't know what the performance will be like yet since no has driven it yet. It does cut it with most because they're willing to accept a 100K car with a 30K car build because of its performance.

If one were a true supercar enthusiast and had the $100K to spend, all that fit and finish stuff would seem overly trivial given what one have underneath them for the price.
True, but I'd spend my 100K on something slightly less extreme in performance that doesn't scream cheap anytime I'm not flogging it on a track. Don't get me wrong the ZR-1 will be the bargain of the decade, no doubt. I just don't delete the other aspects of what a 100K car should be because it is a capable performer.

Oh really. You wait and see what a marvel the ZR1 is with proper performance enthusiasts. The "wonders" are all in the performance. I would expect GM to fare well with their projected sales with this relentless bang for the buck. Corvettes in general and ZR1 in particular have all improved in the interior aspect and for those who want more, that leather package will easily suffice. This is not a heavy luxury cruiser - it was never intended to be. What it is, however, is a true supercar offering many modern advanced features all under factory warranty, and all for around $100K. Those with the resources are licking their chops and your type of obsession towards (very disputable) "cheapo" seats and the like will pale into triviality. You'll see.
It already has. The C6 has been winning awards and on various lists for years no. They've all overlooked the same issues you do, until it is compared with other cars with similar performance, then most reviewers come clean about the Corvette's build/quality problems. But yeah they gloss over it like you do, which I don't have a really big problem with, it is the comparision to a Benz in this regard that is downright silly.

Conclusion:

Mechanical gremlins are less important than fit and finish. We do not agree.
Nope we don't, probably never will. Why? Because one company has shown great strides in fixing their problems, and the other has decided to wrap everything in leather for 2008. That isn't progress in the least.

MB as a luxury car and Corvette as a sportscar should be held to the same fit and finish standards for the same money. We do not agree.
Again, I don't why you're not getting this. Forget Mercedes-Benz. Other sports cars for the same money are built better. Does the name Porsche ring a bell. A base Boxster is simply built better. Nissan's GT-R looks to be also and it doesn't cost twice as much in fact it will cost less than the ZR-1. I want to see the ZR-1 smoke it though, but thats another story.

Corvette offers far more bang for the buck. We do not agree.
Sure we do. A Benz isn't a "bang for the buck" type of car as it relates to performance. A Corvette is THE bang for the buck car, or it at least frames the argument.

Is ZR1 worth the money. We do not agree.
Not sure about that either. For 100K you won't be able to top its performance, and if you can stand the Kmart interior then you're good to go.

Are the SL65 and the ZR1 of the same cloth; are they proper comparisons? Let's hope we both agree that they are not. The two are totally different cars designed for totally different consumers.
We do agree, which is why I don't understand why you're still going on about this. You're going to see the Corvette's best attributes and I'm going to see the Benz's and never shall the 2 meet.

M
Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by itswindee
GermanCar1 when you stated this:
Not at all, that isn't the only thing that gives at least the impression of a solidly built car. True supercars aren't judged on interior appointments, but to sit here and say that is acceptable to have a cheapo interior and ragged edges and poor fit and finish just because the car performs is IMO ridiculous, especially when plunking down 100K for a ZR-1. That said I don't expect a Benz/Audi/Bentley/Aston-Martin interior, but I do expect it to be better than any other GM car, which it isn't. I expect it to be at least comparable to other sports cars of the same ilk, which it isn't. A Porsche Boxster shouldn't have a better interior for almost have the cost. Again, you're giving GM a pass for what has been quite frankly up to now, really ****-poor interiors as far as Vettes go.

I'm hoping that you just made this statement to drive home an overly exaggerated point. To make this particular statement: "but I do expect it to be better than any other GM car, which it isn't." is a completely bogus and IMO an ignorant statement. Tell me, exactly how many other GM cars do you or have you owned, driven or been in?
Hilarious. Now you have to own a GM car to know they aren't up to par. Been in and driven plenty of GM cars, know many more that own them. Outside of the new Malibu, CTS, G8 and some others, they still suck. A Buick LaCrosse is a huge embarrasment. Every single Saturn up till last/this year were utter garbage. Panel gaps a mile wide and orange peel like you wouldn't believe. You've got to be kidding me to try to imply that one has to own one to gauge their quality.

I personally traded in a 07' Pontiac GXP for my MB now and I can tell you that the interior was NOTHING comparable to the regular ole' 89', 94' or the 99' Vette I have personally owned and driven. The GXP's interior was as you would say, "junk/cheapo" in comparison.
The Pontiac Grand Prix is a mess of plastic and playscool looking buttons and just a mess in general. Cheap doesn't begin to describe it.

I'm sorry but to make a statement that basically ALL GM cars are created equal in the quality department and in particular the lack of quality in the "blue devil" ZR1 is grossly inaccurate.
Don't be sorry, just be better informed next time. Now tell me exactly how the interior of the ZR-1 is going to be different from the regular Corvettes? Please do tell. Are they doing more than just wrapping the dash in leather or adding some neat logos? What is grossly inaccurate is your knowledge on the subject.

I would bet that, the ZR1 in particular is going to be a very, very fine piece of machinery inside and out.
Yep performance wise, other than that it will be the same old Vette story.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 04-23-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Being tops with C&D does not conclude that they favor performance over quality. They would affirm that they looked at everything altogether and made overall selections.
Guy you're nuts if you think that peformance for the dollar doesn't put the Corvetter over with C&D, otherwise it wouldn't even get mentioned. They're the ones that have complained about its fit and finish for years even going so far as to say it had "junky construction". Performance and price is what gets the Corvette over, not anything about quality.

M
Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did I say feeding time at the zoo or what? Do you have any idea how trivial and pompous you present with such antics? And many of Corvettes have their share of valet parking "front spots." (This is getting as outlandish as it gets. Shame, this was a very productive and worthy discussion.)
Likewise do you see how much of a simpleton you make Corvette lovers out to be constantly making excuses for things that wouldn't be tolerated in a car half the price of a Corvette while touting this "pedal to the metal" mentality about "bang for the buck". It goes both ways.

M
Old 04-23-2008, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I find it funny how some of you have probably never even driven the cars (or similiar cars) you are comparing. I have had very extensive experience with the SL55, 997TT, and Corvette Z06. I know these cars like the back of my hand.

The SL55 was lemon-lawed and had a huge list of problems which MB couldn't fix. The 997TT had a rattle in the door. The Z06, after 2500 abusive miles doesn't have one issue.

The Z06's suspension is more livable than the 997TT. The SL55 is very comparable in drivability, possibly a bit softer. Carving up corners, the Vette takes the SL apart. SL's and 911's interiors were both nicer. The 911 had very firm seats though and the Vette's seats are more comfortable for daily driving. I prefer the nav unit on the Vette over the SL and 911. In speed, its no contest. I'd compare the Z06 speed with the SL65. The 997TT is very very fast as well, but the Z06 is faster.

The SL65 is really the same car as the SL55, just faster in straightline. The ZR1 has a much more civilized suspension, better breaks, more hp, and better looks than the Z06. So, take this comparison as just my honest oppinion.

My choices are Z06 over used SL65.
997TT over Z06.
ZR1 over all of the above.

Also, keep in mind I am a young guy and love the attention and just the feeling of rolling around like a complete badass. If I was ready for the retirement center, I'd maybe go for an SL600 and Renntech it.

I love MB and always will, just the ZR1 is an exotic-slayer and the SL65 is a top of the line luxury GT with a monster engine.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I find it funny how some of you have probably never even driven the cars (or similiar cars) you are comparing. I have had very extensive experience with the SL55, 997TT, and Corvette Z06. I know these cars like the back of my hand.

The SL55 was lemon-lawed and had a huge list of problems which MB couldn't fix. The 997TT had a rattle in the door. The Z06, after 2500 abusive miles doesn't have one issue.

The Z06's suspension is more livable than the 997TT. The SL55 is very comparable in drivability, possibly a bit softer. Carving up corners, the Vette takes the SL apart. SL's and 911's interiors were both nicer. The 911 had very firm seats though and the Vette's seats are more comfortable for daily driving. I prefer the nav unit on the Vette over the SL and 911. In speed, its no contest. I'd compare the Z06 speed with the SL65. The 997TT is very very fast as well, but the Z06 is faster.

The SL65 is really the same car as the SL55, just faster in straightline. The ZR1 has a much more civilized suspension, better breaks, more hp, and better looks than the Z06. So, take this comparison as just my honest oppinion.

My choices are Z06 over used SL65.
997TT over Z06.
ZR1 over all of the above.

Also, keep in mind I am a young guy and love the attention and just the feeling of rolling around like a complete badass. If I was ready for the retirement center, I'd maybe go for an SL600 and Renntech it.

I love MB and always will, just the ZR1 is an exotic-slayer and the SL65 is a top of the line luxury GT with a monster engine.
Congrats on your new ZO6, kwne a guy at the gym that had one and loved it. said he had to put tires on it every 5k miles. Question? you said you like the attention that the ZO6 gives, do you find many people that can tell the difference between a ZO6 and a regular vette? I know its the same with the SL most don't know the diff between the SL500 and SL65.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Congrats on your new ZO6, kwne a guy at the gym that had one and loved it. said he had to put tires on it every 5k miles. Question? you said you like the attention that the ZO6 gives, do you find many people that can tell the difference between a ZO6 and a regular vette? I know its the same with the SL most don't know the diff between the SL500 and SL65.
Tires...I'm not sure. From what I've been told, every 7k miles you should switch them.

Most people don't know the different between the Z06 and regular C6 just because they're not enthusiasts. But anybody who has any idea about these cars instantly recognizes it and will talk to me about it at a redlight or gas station. Lots of girls can see the difference too, like they'll say they love how wide it is and how low the car sits lol. When I went to look at 'Vettes, they had a black C6 and black Z06 sitting right next to eachother and since then, I couldn't ever go back to the C6 lol.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
...Also, keep in mind I am a young guy and love the attention and just the feeling of rolling around like a complete badass. If I was ready for the retirement center, I'd maybe go for an SL600 and Renntech it.

Good comments, Stallion, except for that one about the "retirement center." My kids kind of think I'm ancient at age 49 but I still feel young and spunky.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???