SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 First Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 First Drive

I took delivery of my Jasper Blue/alpaca grey nappa leather SL55 last Thursday. Thursday was seriously rainy; Friday a bit better; yesterday and today sub zero Centigrade temperatures. Not ideal for my first week but here’s my impressions.

Awesome is a word Americans seem to use often and the British use hardly ever. Nearly every time it seems to me to overstate the qualities of the product being so described. Very few things in this world are awesome – the SL 55 is.

In Summer 2002 I spent around a couple of hours at the wheel of SL 500’s. I had no opportunity to drive an SL 55. If I had bought a 500 I would have been happy, very happy. If one day I then had the chance to drive an SL55 I would have suddenly realised that I had sadly denied myself the opportunity to own what must be the finest all-round road vehicle available in the world today. The SL 55 may not be quite the finest drivers’ car. That honour probably goes to say Porsche, Ferrari, Zonda, NSX depending on where your heart and allegiance lies. But the SL surely is the finest drop head coupe. And in terms of value for money and cost of ownership, can an SL be beaten by offerings from these manufacturers? Probably not.

I just would not have thought it possible to develop and build a car which, with exclusive nappa leather option, combines the refinement and comfort of a Bentley with the most incredible handling and performance – and a tin top drop head for non rainy days too. After 400+ miles since last Thursday on a variety of UK roads – motorways, city traffic, winding country roads that can often be more pain than fun - it certainly isn’t possible to describe adequately the “SL55 drive”. But how does this “drive” differ from the SL 500?

Let’s start with some figures. The SL500 develops maximum power output of 306 bhp, The SL55 develops 500. The difference, 194 bhp, is around the same power output as a supercharged SLK 230.

So SLK + SL500 = SL55. Interesting.

The SL 350 develops 350 Nm of torque at its maximum power and it is certainly no slouch. The SL55 develops 700 Nm torque - exactly twice the amount. Now we are in “awesome” territory.

What are the main driver differences between the 55 and 500?

1. The AMG suspension gives a taughter, tighter, more immediate feel without any sacrifice in ride quality.
2. Both models have a driver-adaptive gearbox but the 55s auto box seems better mated to the power curve of its engine. Never once so far have I felt I have been in the wrong gear at the wrong time. I felt let down in the 500 several times.
3. The 500s seats are excellent but the AMG seats are even more supportive.
4. Performance delivery is effortless especially the way it just sails past everything else on the road is quite uncanny.
5. And then there’s that noise. As Richard has said on this forum you just hope the traffic lights ahead of you will go red so you have so stop and allow yourself the pleasure of that aircraft-like bellow as you power away.

I should also repeat what has already been said on this forum – don’t wait for Command 2, don’t wait for anything. If you’re in line for a 500 and price is not an issue, upgrade to a 55. I was originally in line for a 500 and changed my mind as my heart was guided by what I read on this forum from you guys. I don’t regret it for a second.

This might seem like sour grapes to those of you who have or intend to buy 500s or 350s. I’m sorry but it isn’t meant to be. Having driven both all I can say is it’s just my two-pennorth. Financially I’m convinced you have made a better decision in cost of ownership terms than me. But I probably will never spend this much money on a car again so I only have the one chance to get it right.

Will post some pictures when the weather is better.

So a wonderful Christmas present. One day I’ll grow up but please God not yet.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
Nice write-up, SL Boy!

Oh how I want one! Especially after reading your prose!

How is the noise level at cruise? My old 911, for instance, would get on my nerves after several hours of highway driving.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by jswedberg

How is the noise level at cruise? My old 911, for instance, would get on my nerves after several hours of highway driving. [/B]
I would say Cruise Noise level at 60 to 70 mph of SL 500 similar to your ML320 - and its mainly tyre not wind noise. SL55 at same level speed slightly more noise from engine and exhaust. SL55 is only loud under acceleration - and then its VERY LOUD.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:16 PM

SL55
SL boy has stated his views much more eloquently than I could have done and I agree with him 100%
Old 01-07-2003, 01:30 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Well thanks a lot, Paul. That review just makes me feel so inadequate, so, so ...well..belittled

I don't know how I can buy a 350 and still remain a junior member of this forum! Too embarrassing by far.....

Your review was just great, mate. Enjoy your car, and keep us all informed. I would love to be able to convert SHMBO by your comments, I'm reading her the review right now!

Wouldn't it be just great if they stopped production next year?

Post pics.!! Tell us if you are pleased with the colour, spec, interior.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Great write-up Paul and I too agree 100%. I've had mine for three months and the pleasure I get everytime I look at it, get in it, drive it has not diminished one bit.

Look forward to your further impressions when the weather improves.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:33 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
Congrats, If you can please add a little more in depth information next time. Your write up lacks adequate information as well as a little short on words. Just kidding, keep it coming and enjoy!
Old 01-07-2003, 08:09 PM

2006 SL55 with 030 Performance Package
Talking

Thats a great review, congrats my nieghbor has the same color combo as you, Jasper/Orian Blue with Ash looks fantastic!

You are making it hard to wait!

AMGBENZ
2000 ML430
2003 SL55 AMG (January 10th 2003 Build Date That is this Friday)
Old 01-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 sl55 AMG
I have had my sl55 for not quite a week yet and I would concur with what has been written so far, but would add that the engine note is what I would call a "smooth bellow". My previous car was a 2000 M5 with Dinan exhaust. That was loud in a different way-it would set off car alarms in the parking garage and if I backed up within 6 feet of another car.

With the SL55, the tone is melodic but powerful, a perfect complement to the brutal acceleration at any speed. However, with the top up, the tone is almost nonexistent, it will never be intrusive or wearisome. Put the top or the window down and you enter a different realm of aural sensibility. It is frankly surprising that German engineers thought enough of the American concept of automotive power that they provided such an engine note and the quad exhaust, but we must br thankful for it.

Rolls- Royce refinement and GTO performance...unbelievable and unbeatable!
Old 01-08-2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Mustard

Post pics.!! Tell us if you are pleased with the colour, spec, interior. [/B]
UK weather no better (light snow today) so here are some pics we took just after the car had been delivered to dealer. It had been raining that morning and pics were taken before pre-delivery cleaning. Will take some more when weather improves.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:08 AM

Colour is Jasper Blue
Old 01-08-2003, 09:10 AM

BMW 535d Touring
That looks very, very classy. Remind us again of the options you had.

Pano Roof?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:12 AM

...with alpaca grey nappa leather. I think jasper and alpaca is a perfect combination. A couple of friends who are Bentley owners say it is fantastic.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I agree, a contrasting colour between outside and in looks great, the alpaca does not work IMHO with brilliant silver. Black/Black is good, but otherwise a contrast is preferable.

See you've got those corrugated floor mats as well, do you have an MB part number?
Old 01-08-2003, 09:16 AM

a closer/better view of the two tone grey. The two colours have been finely judged. I agree not such a contrast as say berry red and black but I think an equally stunning combination.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I also think the nappa leather looks great, worth having providing you're prepared to treat it carefully, not as hard wearing as the regular leather and prone to stretching if, for example, you lean into the car and press down on a clenched fist.... I think Richard had some bad experiences with his previous car.

The contrasting over-stitching also looks great...
Old 01-08-2003, 09:23 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Yes, very nice Paul. Good colour choice, interior great except for the cardboard carpets Jasper strikes a nice balance of brightness and class for the UK, in my view. Am staying with the same. Toyed with Pewter/red or sand for a few er, moments. Second choice to this, tho.

The alu dash looks so much better than the 500 alu - and probably nicer than wood. The 5 spokes set it off perfectly. Its a car you must just feel good driving - a real tour de force and a definite future classic. Beginning to think if they turned off the AMG tap a little more you all would retain huge values for the next five years.

Look forward to more pics when the weather improves up there.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:29 AM

That looks very, very classy. Remind us again of the options you had.

Pano Roof?
No pano roof - I gambled that alpaca interior would be light enough without it and it is very light with top on, no regrets.

Options I went for are parktronic (essential) and nappa leather which I personally think is also essential. Saw standard alpaca and nappa cars side by side and big samples of all other colour leathers at Mercedes designo studio in London and it was an easy decision for me.

Decided to pass on all other options.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:14 AM

Citroen Saxo
I can vouch that it looks every bit and more spectacular in the metal than it does in the pictures... Very well summed up 2! I can't think of a car that rivals it?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:02 PM

The alu dash looks so much better than the 500 alu - and probably nicer than wood. The 5 spokes set it off perfectly. .
For those members who havent seen the SL55 alu dash in a car I should explain it doesnt look quite the same as it appears in these pictures. The pictures look like a smooth, brushed alu finish. It isnt - its a roughish sandcast appearance and feel and thats what makes it so special.

Its the only dash style offered on the SL55 in the UK unless you want to pay extra for a designo wood or stone.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:09 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
sweet ride, good luck, be careful your steering wheel is on the wrong side!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:49 AM

SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
Great colour choice and interior - not sure about those wheels though

It must be a UK Paul thing!

Pleased to hear you are as happy with yours as I have been with mine. When the suns shines the Jasper is a t5otally different colour to the dull and evening colour which I like a lot.

Paul, Nottingham
Japser/Alpaca
Old 01-10-2003, 01:16 PM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
Congrats sweet ride!
Old 01-11-2003, 10:55 AM

1992 Acura Legend LS
Looks real nice mate!
Old 01-12-2003, 04:41 PM

2001 Chrysler Indrepid
Great color combo, blue looks great and is less common. I'm shure you'll have a great time with your new ride!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 First Drive