SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Performance Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55
SL55 Performance Question

Hi I have a stock 03' SL55 and was wondering what is your guys opinion on who would your prefer to "work" on your car (ie RENNtech, EVOsport, etc.) So I guess I'm kinda taking a poll. Also Veloce Performance was the only company that I talked to that mentioned a TCU they told me that I would not "feel" the full potential just by doing the ECU that the tranny needs to be programmed as well, any thoughts or insight would be helpful (Dino stay out of this one JK). Thanks in advance.

Danny.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Allow me to chime in....

The RennTech offers max SAFE power with every day reliability...

There are plenty of packages to give you what you are looking for...

I have done PLENTY of renntech cars, with all happy customers!

There are packages up to 620hp/630tq....

Either the Regular ECU/Pulley

or

Extreme ECU/Pulley and the cooling system to start
Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM

2003 SL55
Originally Posted by TuneTime

I have done PLENTY of renntech cars, with all happy customers!
Any TCU? Any Thoughts? Has anyone done a TCU?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Originally Posted by tmo1113
Any TCU? Any Thoughts? Has anyone done a TCU?

TCU's are done usually on the 600 cars... Not on the 55's.. I asked RennTech this question awhile back, im having a senior moment and cant quite remember the answer...I'll get the info for you... But Knowing them, if anything is good from the factory they leave it alone.

I have built and driven plenty of Renntech 55's from stages 1 thru 6, with no TCU changes.... in which one of the E Classes went 11.4 on a set of toyo tires....

We just did a 08 CL600 that includes the TCU...
Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Hi I have a stock 03' SL55 and was wondering what is your guys opinion on who would your prefer to "work" on your car (ie RENNtech, EVOsport, etc.) So I guess I'm kinda taking a poll. Also Veloce Performance was the only company that I talked to that mentioned a TCU they told me that I would not "feel" the full potential just by doing the ECU that the tranny needs to be programmed as well, any thoughts or insight would be helpful (Dino stay out of this one JK). Thanks in advance.

Danny.
Danny,

Of course any evosport dealer (or us directly) will tell you our wares are the best for you, just like any Renntech dealer (or them directly) will say the same.

Net/net - based on any different chassis you may find differnt tuners offer different options and compromises. If you look around and talk to our many cusotmers, you will find the vast majority happy. I am sure the same can be said for Renntech. They are a quality company as well.

However, I will ask you to look at value. We are a US based and 100% run company. All of our engineering and manufacturing is done here in the US. I believe this gives us a bit of a competitive edge on pricing and on the abuility to maximize performance with quicker turn-around time as we are not out-sourcing or importing our parts.

Dollar for dollar, I would have no problem saying that you will get more with an evosport purchase than with any other brand.

Now, all that being said (yes, that was my "pitch" if you will), the best advice I can give you or anyone else in your shoes is to find a good local shop that you can trust. This is key, as a faulty installation of even the best part will fail. So you must have someone that is good and trustworthy.

Second, just pick up the phone and call us and Renntech. Get a feel for the people and the products.

Either way, I think that you are going down a fun road - the 55 is a great car and can really be turned into a beast with the right mods!

thanks
Brad

PS - as for TCU, the jury is still out, and it will be in fairly soon. However, my point is not to delve into details of what might be good for your individual desires on this thread, but am happy to do so in email or on the phone.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I know that I was asked to not respond, but I have to clarify Danny's original statement about not 'feeling all the power' without the TCU. This is only true on our ECU/pulley cars because of the torque that we are making. The stock TCU settings will tend to limit the 'fun' in those cars. But if you want to enjoy quicker shifting, no automatic upshifts, etc. then the TCU upgrade will work with either set up very well.

OK, I'll shut up!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I'd suggest you do a search on the tuners you are looking into. Plenty of reviews on this forum.

I personally see the happiest posts with the following tuners: VRP, Evosport, Renntech, and LET. MHP is the new guy in town but seems to be into the 63 engines currently.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:53 AM

2003 SL55
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I know that I was asked to not respond, but I have to clarify Danny's original statement about not 'feeling all the power' without the TCU.
I Wrote (Dino stay out of this one JK) JK= Just Kidding not sure if you knew that or not I just didn't want to come off as being a jerk.

Okay I'll be doing my homework some more and got a little light shed on the TCU, its a little bit funny that almost no one talks about the TCU that's one of the main reasons I posted this thread.
Well thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
I Wrote (Dino stay out of this one JK) JK= Just Kidding not sure if you knew that or not I just didn't want to come off as being a jerk.

Okay I'll be doing my homework some more and got a little light shed on the TCU, its a little bit funny that almost no one talks about the TCU that's one of the main reasons I posted this thread.
Well thanks for the info guys.
MHP is doing TCU for the 63 platform currently...and I believe working on the TCU for the 55 platform as we speak.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Originally Posted by otoupalik
Danny,

Of course any evosport dealer (or us directly) will tell you our wares are the best for you, just like any Renntech dealer (or them directly) will say the same.
I chose to be a RennTech dealer, that has to account for something, i could of picked anyone of you guys...

Its different if i was renntech saying we are the best...
Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Ok, since you opened the door...

Please list the experience you had with "all us guys" before you decided to be a Renntech dealer? I am interested to see what basis you made your decision on.

It is really no different then Renntech saying it BTW. You are financially tied to customers thinking that Renntech is the way to go. And there is nothing wrong with that, but lets just call a spade a spade. So for you to say that what you sell is the best is no surprise nor is it any different then any other manufacturer saying that they offer the best or any dealer saying they offer the best.

FWIW, we started as a reseller and manufacturer as we felt that there was a significant amount of improvement that could be made compared to the parts existing in the marketplace. 8 years later we are being compared to Kleemann, Brabus, Renntech, etc. - all companies that are far older then us. So regardless, I think we are doing a good job.

Now, back to what I told the OP - do your research and find people you trust. It sounds like you will be happy with the mods regardless of which tuner you use!

Thanks
Brad
Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
Originally Posted by otoupalik
Ok, since you opened the door...

Please list the experience you had with "all us guys" before you decided to be a Renntech dealer? I am interested to see what basis you made your decision on.

It is really no different then Renntech saying it BTW. You are financially tied to customers thinking that Renntech is the way to go. And there is nothing wrong with that, but lets just call a spade a spade. So for you to say that what you sell is the best is no surprise nor is it any different then any other manufacturer saying that they offer the best or any dealer saying they offer the best.

FWIW, we started as a reseller and manufacturer as we felt that there was a significant amount of improvement that could be made compared to the parts existing in the marketplace. 8 years later we are being compared to Kleemann, Brabus, Renntech, etc. - all companies that are far older then us. So regardless, I think we are doing a good job.

Now, back to what I told the OP - do your research and find people you trust. It sounds like you will be happy with the mods regardless of which tuner you use!

Thanks
Brad
You opened the door with your first line in your first post.... and for me to respond any further would be a waist of time for the both of us.. lol...

But on a side note, i have bought a few EvoSport Products and have installed even more... Their products are very nice... With no issues that i have seen...
Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sl500
tcu upgrade vs. sprint booster chip?

cant a sprint booster chip be used to compensate for the throttle lag vs. an expensive tcu upgrade? correct me if im wrong
Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by kennethcole79
cant a sprint booster chip be used to compensate for the throttle lag vs. an expensive tcu upgrade? correct me if im wrong
No...the ECU tune does what a sprintbooster does and much much more.

TCU upgrades tend to mess with shift points and how hard you might want it to shift...I believe they can also be used to change torque limitations and even add features like rev matching downshifts.

TCU tunes are tricky because they can roast your tranny if done incorrectly.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 AM

2007 Väth SL65 AMG. 2007 BMW Alpina B5s. 2007 BMW M6.
Originally Posted by Timeless
No...the ECU tune does what a sprintbooster does and much much more.

TCU upgrades tend to mess with shift points and how hard you might want it to shift...I believe they can also be used to change torque limitations and even add features like rev matching downshifts.

TCU tunes are tricky because they can roast your tranny if done incorrectly.
"rev matching downshifts"..?!
Who does those..? RENNtech, EVOsport or what..?
I could be VERY interested in a TCU, if that's included..!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by maxabo
"rev matching downshifts"..?!
Who does those..? RENNtech, EVOsport or what..?
I could be VERY interested in a TCU, if that's included..!
I believe MHP was working on that. He (Andy) is a sponsor here.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Almost a Member!

'09 SL65 BS, '08 SL65 AMG, '08 CLK63 AMG BS, '08 CL65 AMG, '06 Viper SRT10, '06 F430, '04 Gallardo
I took my Black Series to RENNtech and was quite happy with their work as it made my car both much quicker and louder. I also had them do work to the body such as installing new Black HRE 20" P40s, smoking taillights, blacking out emblems, tinting windows, etc... so my car is now silver with a black trim all around. I don't know too much about evosport but I did hear that they do some good work, especially with the Black Series which is why it took me a while to decide who I wanted to go to.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by AMG_Black
I took my Black Series to RENNtech and was quite happy with their work as it made my car both much quicker and louder. I also had them do work to the body such as installing new Black HRE 20" P40s, smoking taillights, blacking out emblems, tinting windows, etc... so my car is now silver with a black trim all around. I don't know too much about evosport but I did hear that they do some good work, especially with the Black Series which is why it took me a while to decide who I wanted to go to.
You took your car to Renntech? Your profile says you are in Ca.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM

AMG_Black, do you have any pictures that you can post of your black series car??