SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Need help on part numbers badly. Performance front bumper..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55 AMG
Need help on part numbers badly. Performance front bumper..

Someone decided to crack my front bumper completely so its being replaced and I want to change it for the 55 performance front.

This is the front bumper I want but it seems crazy expensive!

http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-Mercedes...QQcmdZViewItem

I dont know if there is a part number for the entire front bumper as in the ebay link or if I have to buy the bumper, fog lights and mesh all seperately?

Im in the UK so I dont know if there is a difference between Euro / US bumper part numbers?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Thats a 07 SL65 front bumper, and it has the grills and lights. You also need the 07 3 louver grill. It is the best update to have. I dnt know what it csts in euro. But if you bought it all used here, it would be 1000 to 150. But very hard to find any used. New it would be in the 3000 range.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Chris-W
Someone decided to crack my front bumper completely so its being replaced and I want to change it for the 55 performance front.

This is the front bumper I want but it seems crazy expensive!

http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-Mercedes...QQcmdZViewItem

I dont know if there is a part number for the entire front bumper as in the ebay link or if I have to buy the bumper, fog lights and mesh all seperately?

Im in the UK so I dont know if there is a difference between Euro / US bumper part numbers?

Any help greatly appreciated.
I am about to have my bumper replaced with the performance package front bumper. There are many more parts that you will need to buy other than the bumper cover, grill, lower mesh and the fog lights. You will need to get the parts that go behind the bumper cover ( frame/reinforcement) and many bits and pieces. The cost to do mine with paint and labor is $4,500.

There is a difference between the US and European bumper. The European version does not have the side marker lights.

If you are going to do this I would suggest that you get the 2008 bumper. The reason for this is that the protective rub strips are molded into the bumper versus earlier years where they are separate.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Sl55 Amg
i have the same bumper on my 06 sl55 and it looks great
much much better looking than the original
if you can get it you ll be very pleased like me
Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dietpepsi
i have the same bumper on my 06 sl55 and it looks great
much much better looking than the original
if you can get it you ll be very pleased like me
There is a difference in the 06 vs the 08 , 07 bumper. The 08,07 has the the additional gills on the side vents and the grill has 3 bars vs the 4 on the 06 and prior grills.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM

sl55 AMG
If I was just to purchase a 2003 sl65 front bumper with all the mesh/ fog lights etc etc would that fit straight on?

What are the extra bits you are refering to that go behind the bumper?

Does anyone have an exploded shot of all the parts Id need?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I was just to purchase a 2003 sl65 front bumper with all the mesh/ fog lights etc etc would that fit straight on?

What are the extra bits you are refering to that go behind the bumper?

Does anyone have an exploded shot of all the parts Id need?
There is a frame that holds the reinforcing bar on. The bar holds on 2 pieces that looks like styrofome but it is much stronger. There are clips, washers, a different bracket for the fog lights, etc. Go to your dealer and they will be able to help you. There is a web site that I think is called EPC.net or EPC.com.that gives you exploded views of the various components on different MB cars. I have the URL on my computer at my office and I will send you the proper URL tomorrow. This is what my body shop used to order the parts but they did conferr with the dealer. As I said there is more than meets the eye.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:54 PM

sl55 AMG
Originally Posted by lkirchner
There is a frame that holds the reinforcing bar on. The bar holds on 2 pieces that looks like styrofome but it is much stronger. There are clips, washers, a different bracket for the fog lights, etc. Go to your dealer and they will be able to help you. There is a web site that I think is called EPC.net or EPC.com.that gives you exploded views of the various components on different MB cars. I have the URL on my computer at my office and I will send you the proper URL tomorrow. This is what my body shop used to order the parts but they did conferr with the dealer. As I said there is more than meets the eye.
That would be great.. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That would be great.. Thanks for the help!
Here is the url: www.epc.startekinfo.com/epc/home.jsp.

You will have to subscribe to gain entry. The first year of your subscription is free. If the link does not work try a Google search on Star Tek because sometime it can be frustrating to gain entry.