SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 v Porsche v GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by sound 8
lol, sounds like you swallowed a dictionary!
I am hardly cowardly or timid, but let's not have a battle of words, or WHO can write the best post. Sure I like to argue,that's down to my star sign.
However can we forget posts of the past! we will never get anywhere
unless we forrget.Actually, grown,grown I bumped into the guy with the
M3 that gave me hassle that night. He was a really nice guy, his engine was
not modified but he had nitro and uprated springs and Konis with bigger brakes. I could have posted that months ago, but I knew I would get stick
for that. So I thought it best to forget it as most members had until you
brought it up, you have the memory of an Elephant, or you just bare grudges. I don't want to be enemies,to any member, I enjoy the banter
to much.So please change your anthropomorphism ways.
TMCN5, sorry Tom.
Paul.
Kind of selective in both your memory and your logic....you are the one who initially brought up the past. You can't have it both ways...you can not accuse me of mistreating you in the past and then claim that I am living in the past when I defend myself by providing evidence from past posts. I really don't care to pursue the past and I don't bare a grudge against you. I do not view you as the "enemy" either. You can be somewhat abrasive, as can I. But I will not change my "anthropomorpic" ways. I don't care if you change your ways or not.

My original critique of your first post stands. I thought it was a self-serving argument that you feel the SL63 wins because it is a convertible and an undefined sense of "best all around car". To me that sounded like a post justifying your purchase.

Tom
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Kind of selective in both your memory and your logic....you are the one who initially brought up the past. You can't have it both ways...you can not accuse me of mistreating you in the past and then claim that I am living in the past when I defend myself by providing evidence from past posts. I really don't care to pursue the past and I don't bare a grudge against you. I do not view you as the "enemy" either. You can be somewhat abrasive, as can I. But I will not change my "anthropomorpic" ways. I don't care if you change your ways or not.

My original critique of your first post stands. I thought it was a self-serving argument that you feel the SL63 wins because it is a convertible and an undefined sense of "best all around car". To me that sounded like a post justifying your purchase.

Tom
Sorry if I sound abrasive, it's probably to do with the fact I am a Brit.
We are known for being unsociable. However you are a clever and well
spoken person even if you have a superior air!!
I have an extremely active brain, I can't switch it off when I am on any particular subject, there is never nothing ( double negative I think) on my
mind, as you can tell by the times of my posts.No matter what I buy, and
I mean everything I find fault with it after a short time, then I relax and
usually start enjoying it. I was facing big bills to keep my SL55 on the road,
and I was the only person who drove the CL65, more than 2 and for some
reason we always picked the S600. I don't think that the CL65 is a good car
for British roads, sure great for cruising and blowing away people in a straight
line. Most of my journeys involve A and B roads peppered with roundabouts
which the 65 did not excel on.
Any way let's forget cars and just agree to disagree! If you find my threads
somewhat unusual then just say HELLO, it will be nice to hear from you.
Paul
Old 04-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
Every one keeps on about how fast the Porsche Turbo is, much faster
than my SL63 apparently, but there is a ***** in the Porsche's Armour,
it's called Nissan GTR. Modern,high tech 4 wheel drive and as fast or faster
than the Porsche, AND half the price. Neither will be a convertible, comfortable and as good as the SL63 as a complete package.
Just my 2 pennies worth.
Though I know the GT-R is an amazing car, I really have respect for Porsches. I love my Carrera GT and used to own an 05 Turbo S Cabriolet which was an amazing car. Plus I've never been the biggest fan of the GT-R's styling. For now the GT-R can take the Turbos however wait until the 998 comes out. I believe that Porsche will really step up the game with that car, considering that they will be using their new PDK transmission and most likely have significant power boosts.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG1
Though I know the GT-R is an amazing car, I really have respect for Porsches. I love my Carrera GT and used to own an 05 Turbo S Cabriolet which was an amazing car. Plus I've never been the biggest fan of the GT-R's styling. For now the GT-R can take the Turbos however wait until the 998 comes out. I believe that Porsche will really step up the game with that car, considering that they will be using their new PDK transmission and most likely have significant power boosts.
Hi, I have booked a test drive in a Turbo this Thursday, I just need to experience it so I can post my comments. However I was told they are
not taking orders any more for the Turbo becuase the new 998 is being
launched in 2010.The GTR is however brilliant value for money, but I expect
not enough comfort!!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tom, if somebody is watching over your shoulder waiting for you to say
something nice to me... I understand!!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
Hi, I have booked a test drive in a Turbo this Thursday, I just need to experience it so I can post my comments. However I was told they are
not taking orders any more for the Turbo becuase the new 998 is being
launched in 2010.The GTR is however brilliant value for money, but I expect
not enough comfort!!
You will fall in love with the Turbo, no other car has as perfect of a combination of performance, quality, refinement, and everyday drivability as the Porsches. I agree totally with what your saying about the GTR as well, not as much comfort as the Porsches. As for the 998, I'll be first in line to order a new Turbo version of that model.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG1
You will fall in love with the Turbo, no other car has as perfect of a combination of performance, quality, refinement, and everyday drivability as the Porsches. I agree totally with what your saying about the GTR as well, not as much comfort as the Porsches. As for the 998, I'll be first in line to order a new Turbo version of that model.
Hi, I am looking forward to the test drive, the sales guy has promised me a LONG drive. However I am mostly interested in it's cabin seats and ride.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 PM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Question When does the new 998 turbo come out in U.S.?

Does anyone know for sure about when the new 998 Porsche turbo will be released in the U.S.? And is it truly all-new or just a moderate update on the 997 turbo? Any noteworthy upgrades/changes/updates that should be mentioned?

I heard the power will go up from 480 stock to about 530, is this true? And will PDK be available? Direct Injection? Any good audio/navi/tech upgrades/updates that will be important? Thanks guys/girls for the info! :-)
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by SL65amg
Does anyone know for sure about when the new 998 Porsche turbo will be released in the U.S.? And is it truly all-new or just a moderate update on the 997 turbo? Any noteworthy upgrades/changes/updates that should be mentioned?

I heard the power will go up from 480 stock to about 530, is this true? And will PDK be available? Direct Injection? Any good audio/navi/tech upgrades/updates that will be important? Thanks guys/girls for the info! :-)
998 is just a mild revision, not all new
Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 PM

07 SL55AMG
GTR is a very good effort by Nissan - however - it's still a Nissan. That means you will be pulling it up to that dealer, along with the Sentra's for service. Not that I am an elitist, but for the money, do you really want that service experience for the money you will be spending to keep the GTR on the road. And believe me, it will cost ALOT to keep that car moving. Don't believe me, ask the salesperson at the Nissan dealership (and not all Nissan dealerships are qualified to sell and service the GTR) what the costs are. I did, and it's a real eye-opener.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc. are all established and proven near-exotics. There is no real wrong choice, just what works best for a buyer's needs and wants.

For me, I HAD to have a the ability to carry stuff in the car, so the SL - with it's larger trunk, was best for the me. The Porsche, as we all know, can't really carry much, so it was quickly eliminated. The SL has it all for me, so I am very happy to keep the car until something similiar and all new comes out for consideration - preferably from Mercedes Benz!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by novasl
GTR is a very good effort by Nissan - however - it's still a Nissan. That means you will be pulling it up to that dealer, along with the Sentra's for service. Not that I am an elitist, but for the money, do you really want that service experience for the money you will be spending to keep the GTR on the road. And believe me, it will cost ALOT to keep that car moving. Don't believe me, ask the salesperson at the Nissan dealership (and not all Nissan dealerships are qualified to sell and service the GTR) what the costs are. I did, and it's a real eye-opener.

Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc. are all established and proven near-exotics. There is no real wrong choice, just what works best for a buyer's needs and wants.

For me, I HAD to have a the ability to carry stuff in the car, so the SL - with it's larger trunk, was best for the me. The Porsche, as we all know, can't really carry much, so it was quickly eliminated. The SL has it all for me, so I am very happy to keep the car until something similiar and all new comes out for consideration - preferably from Mercedes Benz!
You sound like a snob!! that's ok because I am definitely one.
I think the SL is the most important car to have an AMG badge.
It's competitors come from Porsche,Aston Martin,Ferrari who don't make
saloons/sedans. It's great to have a Mercedes badge, however an AMG
badge on a S,E,CL etc has far more competitors from BMW,Audi,VW,Ford
Vauxhall, the list is endless.I think the SL was the first AMG and it features
on the AMG website at the beginning.However many more people want
a family car that turns into a sports saloon/sedan for the best of both
worlds and the AMG badge says , don't fool with me..!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
You sound like a snob!! that's ok because I am definitely one.
I think the SL is the most important car to have an AMG badge.
It's competitors come from Porsche,Aston Martin,Ferrari who don't make
saloons/sedans. It's great to have a Mercedes badge, however an AMG
badge on a S,E,CL etc has far more competitors from BMW,Audi,VW,Ford
Vauxhall, the list is endless.I think the SL was the first AMG and it features
on the AMG website at the beginning.However many more people want
a family car that turns into a sports saloon/sedan for the best of both
worlds and the AMG badge says , don't fool with me..!
"Yipes" factor - AMG badge + snob =

does that even make sense ...vroom vroom
Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No.. snob equals AMG etc get the picture!!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 PM

07 SL55AMG
Getting off topic a bit, but wanted to go on the record that I am not a snob or an elitist.

My purchase of the AMG was based on the power delivered by the supercharged V8 which could only be obtained in the AMG model. The badge means nothing to me and if the AMG badge wasn't on the car from the factory I wouldn't need it - unlike some who place the badge on a non-AMG sourced vehicle.

Rather, for the $$$ spent, I prefer the service/dealership experience of Mercedes Benz over that of Nissan. There is nothing wrong or lacking with Nissan, just that Mercedes Benz works better for my expectations when we are in this price class.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
im going on record that i am a snob
Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Getting off topic a bit, but wanted to go on the record that I am not a snob or an elitist.

My purchase of the AMG was based on the power delivered by the supercharged V8 which could only be obtained in the AMG model. The badge means nothing to me and if the AMG badge wasn't on the car from the factory I wouldn't need it - unlike some who place the badge on a non-AMG sourced vehicle.

Rather, for the $$$ spent, I prefer the service/dealership experience of Mercedes Benz over that of Nissan. There is nothing wrong or lacking with Nissan, just that Mercedes Benz works better for my expectations when we are in this price class.

I comepletely agree... I'm just a fan of brilliant engineering, and IMO the best engineering right now is German. And I just like what AMG does- give luxury cars one hell of a freaking engine. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with Nissan's cars. They, like other Japansese/Korean cars deliver one hell of a value for the price.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5

Honestly, the best all-around service I have received from a dealer was at the Jeep dealership when I had my Jeep SRT8. I had a BMW M5 (E39), Audi RS6 and now CL65. But hands down, that Jeep dealer was so much more helpful and accomodating than the other dealers. I currently have a great relationship with a Master Tech at a dealership about 50 miles away, but my local MB dealer (2 minutes from my work) had so-so service in the two times I took it there. So I wouldn't write-off the Nissan dealer just because they are a Nissan dealer.

Tom
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
im going on record that i am a snob
Got your flamesuit on? Lol
Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*

I don't care who makes the car when it has performance numbers like it does.
However, with that being said I would never own that car because in my opinion the looks/design are horrid. It does have a big following and the amount of car you get for 75k makes it a great performance bargain for some buyers.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha, give me a break...however it's still a Nissan. You are a BADGE SNOB!!
lol
Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 AM

07 SL55AMG
sound8:

No, I am not a badge snob.

However, you may have a problem with reading comprehension.

Check out my second post above, hopefully they teach you blokes that sort of thing across the pond.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sound8:

No, I am not a badge snob.

However, you may have a problem with reading comprehension.

Check out my second post above, hopefully they teach you blokes that sort of thing across the pond.
OK your not interested in badge names, you are only interested in the quality
and service someone gives you. But I ask you ,would you stick a Skoda badge
on your Merc. As for comprehension, we start school over here at 2.
It's still only a Nissan, that says it all. Most people buy on badge name in all
walks of life so being a snob is no big deal!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
You guys are all car *****, err I mean 'snobs' ...that's it I'm tradin in my sl55 for a Toyota turkle, uh Turcel? with the sport package ....hmmm maybe I'll pick up some TRD badges for it...better yet make that AMG badges!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
You guys are all car *****, err I mean 'snobs' ...that's it I'm tradin in my sl55 for a Toyota turkle, uh Turcel? with the sport package ....hmmm maybe I'll pick up some TRD badges for it...better yet make that AMG badges!
Yeah while your at it, get some chanal perfume, a Fraari,and open a bottle
of coake!! Lol
Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 PM

sl 65 blackseries, 911 turbo, GT-R
I have Gt-R, 2007 Porsche 911 turbo, and 2009 sl 65 Blackseries in my garage. All 3 cars have distictively different feel when I'm driving. However, I do not see or feel the hipes gt-r mania is making. Faster than 911 turbo? I'm not a proffessional driver, but I couldn't take my 911turbo with gt-r. I give credit to Nissan. They tried really hard to make a poor man's porsche and they acheive it. I had M3, M5, and American muscle camaro in my time. I've never regretted buing any of those cars, but I do regret buying gt-r. I let hipes get to me..... It is Nissan's version of tincan wanna be super car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 v Porsche v GTR