SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Marcus's SL65 Build Thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
wow, simply amazing the SL63 spoiler looks good.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 S500
sound clips of the exhaust!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I know everyone is going to ask for a sound clip. I've tried making one, but it's a joke, it doesn't really give a good representation. When you start the car (V12 cars only), and the wastegates are opened to allow exhaust gas to bypass the turbos and hit the cats... the car sounds absolutely amazing, and it is a lot louder than stock. When the wastegates are closed and the car is idling normally, it's only very slightly louder than stock. Light throttle, it's definitely noticeably louder... and full throttle... well, let's just say it's a terrifying symphony that in my mind, suits the car extremely well.

It's the perfect balance IMO... at idle, the car is still very quiet... but once you go WOT... talk about grinning ear to ear.

For some who really want to keep that total sleeper "persona" - straight pipes aren't for you. Straight pipes on the 65 are for people who don't mind their 600hp monster actually sounding like it's packing some power.

-m
I have been salivating looking at your tailpipe pictures (and shocked about all that crud on your fenders - you really drive that thing rain or shine ) and your comments - just makes me wish somebody would make a really nice active exhaust flipper a la Z06. Sitting on the fence on this one, but I am glad we have bold members like you on this board that are willing to push the envelope - the price we pay to drive something so exclusive is the fact there is very little experimenting to glean from.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by CA_E55
I have been salivating looking at your tailpipe pictures (and shocked about all that crud on your fenders - you really drive that thing rain or shine ) and your comments - just makes me wish somebody would make a really nice active exhaust flipper a la Z06. Sitting on the fence on this one, but I am glad we have bold members like you on this board that are willing to push the envelope - the price we pay to drive something so exclusive is the fact there is very little experimenting to glean from.
LOL, now I'm embarassed! I don't drive the car in the winter, but yes, I do get caught in the rain with it. The flash exaggerated things a bit, but honestly, the every-day drivability of the 65 was one of it's greatest traits and really helped it edge out the other cars I was considering.

I had a Z06 with the factory "flipper" - and pulled the fuse within 24 hrs of taking delivery (which keeps the muffler bypass open constantly). I honestly understand the idea of keeping things civil, but honestly, even with the muffler deletes this car isn't totally ridiculous. At idle, it's very reasonable, and at cruising speed there's some drone but overall the sound is so befitting of a TWIN TURBO V12 with 600hp that I just would never go back to stock. This car has over 700lb/ft of torque and I don't find any harm in letting it thump it's chest with a little bit of throttle.

If you ever find your way to the windy city, I'd be more than happy to let you hear it/test it in person.

-m
Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Väth SL65 AMG. 2007 BMW Alpina B5s. 2007 BMW M6.
I know everyone is going to ask for a sound clip. I've tried making one, but it's a joke, it doesn't really give a good representation. When you start the car (V12 cars only), and the wastegates are opened to allow exhaust gas to bypass the turbos and hit the cats... the car sounds absolutely amazing, and it is a lot louder than stock. When the wastegates are closed and the car is idling normally, it's only very slightly louder than stock. Light throttle, it's definitely noticeably louder... and full throttle... well, let's just say it's a terrifying symphony that in my mind, suits the car extremely well.

It's the perfect balance IMO... at idle, the car is still very quiet... but once you go WOT... talk about grinning ear to ear.

For some who really want to keep that total sleeper "persona" - straight pipes aren't for you. Straight pipes on the 65 are for people who don't mind their 600hp monster actually sounding like it's packing some power.

-m

Here's an old "cold start clip" I found from my first SL600 that I "straight piped" two years ago
(only done it with S600 TT before, but with GREAT results there too).

This is the very same car from youtube, and in earlier threads here on mbworld, btw...
http://www.garaget.org/video/ts0c0ddbhg55

I can honestly say, that NOBODY will ever regret they had this job done to their V12 TT..!
Go for it!

Last edited by maxabo; 05-02-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
The exhaust tips on these cars are polished stainless. They are easily cleaned and repolished. Use a mild rubbing compound. Not necessary to use heavy duty, the finer will make a brighter finish. And just polish and rub untill they are all shiny again.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
Your SL65 is gorgeous...Great work and whoever did the exhaust took time in cleaning up the welds, I like his style.....Whats next? Any videos of the car in action?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Some airbox information...

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...-airboxes.html

-m
Old 06-08-2009, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Heat Exchanger Arrived... Lookin' good!

Welds look sweet...

Nice and big too (business card put there to give you an idea of size)...

Some other cars around the shop... (Noble and my SL )

C63 on the dyno...

More to come...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Heat Exchanger Arrived... Lookin' good!

Welds look sweet...

Nice and big too (business card put there to give you an idea of size)...

Some other cars around the shop... (Noble and my SL )

C63 on the dyno...

More to come...
Marcus...looks great! What is the timetable for install and have Al post some pics, too.

PS I'm ready whenever Al is ready with another HE!!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
What a difference a good tech makes.

For the past year I have been struggling with lowend power on my 65. It was the absolute strangest thing I've ever seen. Below 4500rpm my car was a pooch. We tried a bunch of different remedies - water pump, heat exchanger, boost leaks, etc., etc., - nothing helped.

I did a before/after dyno with the new heat exchanger and CM30 pump, no gain in power (will post dyno if people are interested). Pictures of the heat exchanger installed also to follow... crappy phone pic for now.

I then began discussing the more "in depth" possibilities that remained and the potentially expensive repair bill they could carry (thank you MB Extended Care). The trouble with even having MB Extended Care is that we had to approach a low-power issue that was giving no codes - the proof was in my Dyno #s and my trap speeds (117-118). Enter nick55, a very talented V12 tech, and we formed a game plan. We were gonna target software first, since most of the mechanical stuff - barring the more in-depth stuff - we have eliminated.

Nick spent a few days going over the software in the car and found the proverbial rats nest. Old code, and even some SL600 coding in there. An update/correction of all the software... and, well, the results were staggering...

Yes, the blue was before, and the red was after. No, I did not get an ECU tune from a tuner, this was the difference between a car w/ messed up factory software, and a car with CORRECT, UPDATED factory software. We all dropped our jaws in amazement.

Driving the car afterward was crazy. Rear end going all over the place and a serious kick in the pants performance wise put a huge grin on my face. Now it's time to hit the drag strip...

The saga continues...

-m
Attached Thumbnails Marcus's SL65 Build Thread...-heat_ex.jpg  

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 08-15-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Oh, and I almost forgot... few new SL glamour shots...

(this was pre-heat exchanger install)

-m
Old 08-15-2009, 06:20 AM
ree

211.020 - E 280 CDI
Beautiful car with stunning mods - and it sounds like hell…
Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 AM

2003 SL55, 1999 Lexus LS400
I was going to ask about that 446.2 RWHP, that's over 26% drivetrain loss from the 604 crank hp rating!

Then I saw a couple posts ago the new dyno... I'm surprised no one asked before you posted that. The new 487.9 rating suggests just over 19% drivetrain loss assuming the 604 hp rating from MB is correct
Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Broker
I was going to ask about that 446.2 RWHP, that's over 26% drivetrain loss from the 604 crank hp rating!

Then I saw a couple posts ago the new dyno... I'm surprised no one asked before you posted that. The new 487.9 rating suggests just over 19% drivetrain loss assuming the 604 hp rating from MB is correct
The reason no one asked is because it is widely known that Dyno Dynamics (DD) dynos (as listed on the graphs) read much lower (about 10%) than a Dynojet. A 446rwhp on a DD is probably pushing around 495rwhp on a Dynojet.

Tom
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Took the time this weekend to hit the dragstrip. Wanted to verify that my car was running properly after my recent "updates" that were made to the factory software, as well as verify my recent, fairly strong dyno #s.

Dragstrip conditions were relatively good, with DA coming in around 1600ft. I thought track prep was great and was able to crack off some great 60' times on my 20" Pirellis (didn't even lower tire pressure, wanted to make REAL street setup passes). Was able to make 3 passes, with my best being 11.5 @ 120.79mph. Other two passes were an 11.8 and 12.0

I think it's important to note that my car was doing 96mph in the 1/8th which to me and my experience shows that this car has a LOT left in it. From my dyno graphs you can see that the car is being held back from it's true potential with the factory load limiters on the top end and once we do a tune I think this car will definitely respond very positively.

At the very least, even though the factory puts the reigns on these cars, my recent software fixes have had a great effect on the car and it's without question running well for being mostly stock (Except for the heat exchanger). Thanks again to nick55... I can b.s. around about how great the car feels all day, but now with a dyno run and an 11.5 second pass I think the CAR has proven that these fixes were not theoretical... but very real indeed.

-m
Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 PM

I'm reallly happy for you that car is gorgeous it even looks fast standing still!! Pat.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I'm being a bit premature in this unveiling but I am simply too happy with the way things turned out to hold back.

I present to you, "the impossible", the first SL65 in the world with BBS CH-Rs. We did a 20x9 and 20x10.5 setup, running 255/30/20 fronts with 305/25/20 rears (Pirelli Pzero). I would like to first thank CPT for orchestrating this endeavor, because without them this would not have happened. This required a good solid week of back and forth since BBS Germany swore these wheels wouldn't fit. CPT went to bat for me measuring and even ordering a wheel from BBS to test fit. It worked out great. I'd also like to give a shout to komp55 for the catchphrase he coined when he put BBS wheels on his E55 - "A Return To Quality"

This is my 4th set of BBS wheels and I have the absolutely highest regard and respect for them as a company. No HRE, Monarch, 360 Forged, or whoever comes close to the level at which BBS stands. I'm not saying other companies do not make quality wheels, but BBS is BBS. Half of the Formula 1 teams run BBS wheels. They are found in OEM applications around the world. They, truthfully, stand alone. I don't mean to make this sound like a BBS commercial, but I feel it's important to voice my opinion and give some context.

The bottom line is, with my Carlssons being difficult to repair (one piece forged aluminum), expensive to replace (~2500 a pop), and difficult to obtain, they proved not to be practical wheels for everyday use. They are good wheels but more suited for a lower-mileage, sunday drive type of application IMO.

We just did a small shoot on Sunday and I don't have all the edited shots yet... but I do have one edited shot along with one unedited shot for everyone to take a gander at. When the shots are done in processing they will be posted... again I couldn't be happier.

-m
Old 10-07-2009, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -

-m
Looks Awesome Marcus!

Excellent choice, well done!
Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 AM
mf1

2003 sl 55 amg, 2010 RRS TDV8
Absolutely "M.A.R.V.E.L.L.O.U.S." Congrats !
Old 02-27-2010, 11:41 PM

Lexus LS430, SL55

-m

Awesome picture
Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG

-m
I think this could be one of the most perfect pictures of the R230 I've ever seen. You and Jon need to do a photo shoot together for the black beauties

There are indeed some very very nice cars on this forum....
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
So, any updates?????

Nick
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
A little update... the interior trim is out of the car (no pictures yet), including steering wheel, for a CF treatment courtesy of DCT Motorsports. In addition to that, we are working on a tune for the car, finally, now that she's running like she is supposed to. I will keep you all posted.

-m
Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
A little update... the interior trim is out of the car (no pictures yet), including steering wheel, for a CF treatment courtesy of DCT Motorsports. In addition to that, we are working on a tune for the car, finally, now that she's running like she is supposed to. I will keep you all posted.

-m
Marcus...that is going to look nice! DCT does great work and it will be great!!!! PM me if you can share some details on your tune...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Marcus's SL65 Build Thread...