SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: best day in my life SL65 BS, AND SLR 722s at Fletcher Jones Chicago

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
Now you can see why it takes so long to change the oil or do anything that requires access to the underside of the car.

That is a proper flat bottom and diffuser that produces downforce.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by tasho3
hahaha, past the design of the car, the sound is the first thing you are most faced with. how can a car enthusiast not care about the music the car brings to his ears?!
I turn the radio on.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Oliverk
sorry I don't care that much what my mercedes sounds like. I'm over the "i need to hear the exhaust" phase of my life.

I
Aren't you only in your early 20s?

Why are you a member at a car enthusiast's site? Your only purpose here seems to be to take cheap shots at people that you would never do in a "real life" situation.

OP- great pics. Thanks and don't mind this kid

-Rob

Last edited by transferred; 05-08-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
Very nice cars!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by transferred
Aren't you only in your early 20s?

Why are you a member at a car enthusiast's site? Your only purpose here seems to be to take cheap shots at people that you would never do in a "real life" situation.

OP- great pics. Thanks and don't mind this kid

-Rob
Rob,
I am 25. I did the fast loud car thing already. It gets tiring hearing the exhaust. Now I like it quiet.

I'm on an "enthusiast" forum because I enjoy discussing technical aspects of mercedes vehicles. I don't like all MB's and I think in general, most of the people on this site have absolutely horrific taste in just about everything.

You don't know me, nor do you know what I would or would not say to anyone. If someone was discussing how awesome the SLR was, I would tell them point blank, that its one of the ugliest benzes ever made.

Sorry I don't hold back for the benefit of the delicate psyches of some members.

-Oliver
Old 05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

SL600
Rob,
I am 25. I did the fast loud car thing already. It gets tiring hearing the exhaust. Now I like it quiet.

I'm on an "enthusiast" forum because I enjoy discussing technical aspects of mercedes vehicles. I don't like all MB's and I think in general, most of the people on this site have absolutely horrific taste in just about everything.

You don't know me, nor do you know what I would or would not say to anyone. If someone was discussing how awesome the SLR was, I would tell them point blank, that its one of the ugliest benzes ever made.

Sorry I don't hold back for the benefit of the delicate psyches of some members.

-Oliver
Everything makes sense now.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Rob,

-Oliver
Oliver,

a fair response. I did not mean to insinuate I knew you, but let's be honest, you really think you'd speak the way you do on this site to people face to face? I'm thinking nasty comments like "best day in your life was seeing 2 benzes?" No way you'd say that to a stranger when they were clearly exaggerating.

At least be honest that you puff it up online...

-Rob
Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by transferred
Oliver,

a fair response. I did not mean to insinuate I knew you, but let's be honest, you really think you'd speak the way you do on this site to people face to face? I'm thinking nasty comments like "best day in your life was seeing 2 benzes?" No way you'd say that to a stranger when they were clearly exaggerating.

At least be honest that you puff it up online...

-Rob
Rob, perhaps I would word things differently, and perhaps I didn't pick up on the OP's exaggeration, but if someone was excitedly talking about how the best day of his life was seeing two mercedes, i would absolutely question it.

the birth of a child, graduating from a prestigious university, getting married, buying your first home, etc are more the things that I associate with "best days of one's life".

I wouldn't call it puffing, but perhaps I would be less abrasive.

Oliver
Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by tasho3
you are welcome. and yes pictures don't do it for this car, its absolutely stunning and perfect in every way...
tasho3, thanks a bunch for the pictures...... they are very well appreciated (at least by me)

Those two cars are the two best street supercars Mercedes has ever produced
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
If someone was discussing how awesome the SLR was, I would tell them point blank, that its one of the ugliest benzes ever made.

-Oliver
Sorry, but I completely disagree with your statement above. I think the SLR 722 is by far the best looking vehicle Mercedes has ever built. And not only best looking car, I flat out think the SLR 722 is the best car period. Aside from being over-priced, the car is almost perfect:

- Great Handling..... (tested by top gear and different magazines and most drivers agreed that it sticks to the ground very well).

- Great Engine Performance.

- Great Exterior Design (very stylish, elegant, and exotic).

- Great Interior (very luxurious, very comfortable, but still very sporty).

- Great Exhaust Sound

- Great Technology And Engineering
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Sorry, but I completely disagree with your statement above. I think the SLR 722 is by far the best looking vehicle Mercedes has ever built. And not only best looking car, I flat out think the SLR 722 is the best car period. Aside from being over-priced, the car is almost perfect:

- Great Handling..... (tested by top gear and different magazines and most drivers agreed that it sticks to the ground very well).

- Great Exhaust Sound

thank you thank you thank you

Oliver: if i made the title to this thread so catching because i like this cars so much, do you really think i care about your negative opinion?! seriously just drop it and go on ihatemylife.com or something like that. nobody cares about what you have to say.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
the birth of a child, graduating from a prestigious university, getting married, buying your first home, etc are more the things that I associate with "best days of one's life".
Well, to each its own. But each day there isn't a child of mine born is one of the best days of my life. Marriage I couldn't care less about. And my first home I flipped for a $40K profit 10 years ago before ever moving in.

I wouldn't call spotting two Mercedes the best day of my life just yet, but for me it surely still would be a lot better than your described best day.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by sprins
Well, to each its own. But each day there isn't a child of mine born is one of the best days of my life. Marriage I couldn't care less about. And my first home I flipped for a $40K profit 10 years ago before ever moving in.

I wouldn't call spotting two Mercedes the best day of my life just yet, but for me it surely still would be a lot better than your described best day.
LOL!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
SLR
Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the pics tasho3. I think that is a pair of intense autos.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by sprins

well we all have our preferences, so there isn't much I can say about your scenario aside from that I disagree.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by MB_Forever

- Great Exhaust Sound

sticking to the ground well is great. Handling feel is another story. GT3RS> slr in handling feel by 3 miles.

Engine performance, agreed

Exterior design is garbage. Cluttered, stupid vents and slats, SOFT TOP, awful awful tailights, etc.

The interior is absolute GARBAGE at the price point. Even top gear pointed this out. It is hideous and just plain cheap.

exhaust sound? as noted, I don't care.

Technology and engineering? maybe but I don't see it.

Carrera GT> SLR
Ford GT> SLR
GT3RS or GT2> SLR
Murciealago> SLR

shall I go on?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Jag XKR
sticking to the ground well is great. Handling feel is another story. GT3RS> slr in handling feel by 3 miles.

Engine performance, agreed

Exterior design is garbage. Cluttered, stupid vents and slats, SOFT TOP, awful awful tailights, etc.

The interior is absolute GARBAGE at the price point. Even top gear pointed this out. It is hideous and just plain cheap.

Carrera GT> SLR
Ford GT> SLR
GT3RS or GT2> SLR
Murciealago> SLR

shall I go on?
Wait hold on -- Are you kidding me?

OK the interior is absolute garbage according to you, have you ever sat in one? According to your info you have a 2005 S500, a probably less than $20K car, I'm pretty sure the interior of the SLR is very very nice in comparison, and if you bring up the Porsche 911 GT3RS, that interior is worse. Face it, these kinds of cars do not put interior comfort at a high level, they put SPEED and EXHAUST note at a high level, unless you are dealing with Italian vehicles in which passion and Italian design call for the interior to be top notch. Ford GT's interior isnt better than the SLR either.

Stupid vents and slats on the exterior? THATS THE PURPOSE OF A SUPERCAR. I'm sorry if its not as practical as your S500, but guess what, supercars are supposed to be flashy, have ridiculous tailights, vents and slats for both performance and for show, its a supercar, its not supposed to be a regular vehicle, it needs to stand out. What did you expect an SLR to look like, an SL with an R at the end and thats it?

Also, have you driven a $500K SLR and a the Porsche? I don't know how you can quote the handling feel of these cars unless you have driven one. Also, porsche's are supposed to be about handling, Mercedes about speed and torque, If I am correct.

Exhaust sound is a BIG BIG part of a car in the high performance supercar realm, if you don't care for exhaust note, ridiculous styling, and want a plush and comfortable interior, then you cant APPRECIATE a supercar, its like having a 16 year old buy a Rolls Royce, they'd much rather have a fast car instead of a Rolls Royce to loft around, I'm surprised at the age of 25 someone wants a comfortable, safe, quiet car to drive around in.....

But I agree with one thing you said: I'd never buy one, cause Lambos and Ferraris are much better in my book
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM

SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
IN A WORD! 365GTB/4! A FERRARI V12 THE MOST AMAZING EXHAUST SOUND EVER!

Having owned, driven and raced a 427 Cobra (CSX 3127) , a Ferrari Daytona 365GTB/4, and numerous vintage Porsches I think the SLR in a true classic and among one of the ultimate supercars.

Owning and driving an SL65 is amazing but I cherish the thought of soon owning the SLR ROADSTER. I think the car looks amazing. I loved the coupe design but am not a closed car person. The second I saw the SLR Roadster in Monterey at the Vintage car races I knew I had to have one... They are very Retro and styled like the vintage and world class 300SLR. This was in the intended design hence the name SLR. The Retro design was also the case with the Ford GT the BMW Z8 and even the Rolls Phantom.

The sound of an exotic car is NOT a determining factor but is important to most of the people who buy this type of machine. I do not want a race car sound for my daily driver but the song of a high performance engine is amazing! ...
To someone a bit younger who does not understand or appreciated the amazing sound of a Vintage V12 Ferrari at speed is something that cannot be explained. Being part of a race with numerous V12 Ferraris at high speed is truely a sound I will cherish forever. Whaaaaaaa..Whaaaaaaaa...Whaaaaaa...Whaaaaaaaaaaaa

"RAADIO!..... You never gonna get no raadio... You gonna listen to di beautiful MUSIC of di engine!"

Enzo Ferrari 1964

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 05-09-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

SL600
Because you've driven both right?

'nuff said.

Carrera GT> SLR
Ford GT> SLR
GT3RS or GT2> SLR
Murciealago> SLR

shall I go on?
Interior is cheap? Not going to bother trying to refute that ignorant statement.

SLR is faster then Carrera GT (as top gear proved)
SLR is faster and more comfortable then the Ford GT (as top gear proved, again)
GTR3 isn't even a supercar.
Even a properly driven E55 can give a Murcielago a good run. SLR would destroy it.

Yes, I think you need to continue. I'm baffled by your stupidity.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
Having owned, driven and raced a 427 Cobra (CSX 3127) , a Ferrari Daytona 365GTB/4, and numerous vintage Porsches I think the SLR in a true classic and among one of the ultimate supercars.

Owning and driving an SL65 is amazing but I cherish the thought of soon owning the SLR ROADSTER. I think the car looks amazing. I loved the coupe design but am not a closed car person. The second I saw the SLR Roadster in Monterey at the Vintage car races I knew I had to have one... They are very Retro and styled like the vintage and world class 300SLR. This was in the intended design hence the name SLR. The Retro design was also the case with the Ford GT the BMW Z8 and even the Rolls Phantom.

The sound of an exotic car is NOT a determining factor but is important to most of the people who buy this type of machine. I do not want a race car sound for my daily driver but the song of a high performance engine is amazing! ...
To someone a bit younger who does not understand or appreciated the amazing sound of a Vintage V12 Ferrari at speed is something that cannot be explained. Being part of a race with numerous V12 Ferraris at high speed is truely a sound I will cherish forever. Whaaaaaaa..Whaaaaaaaa...Whaaaaaa...Whaaaaaaaaaaaa

"RAADIO!..... You never gonna get no raadio... You gonna listen to di beautiful MUSIC of di engine!"

Enzo Ferrari 1964
i can't thank you enough for your kind words! i m only 22 and i fully understand what you mean even tho i never driven any of this cars, but its enthusiasts like you that i look up to when it comes to cars, again THANK YOU!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Akademiks

'nuff said.

Interior is cheap? Not going to bother trying to refute that ignorant statement.

Even a properly driven E55 can give a Murcielago a good run. SLR would destroy it.

That picture about of the Brabus just show's, perfection perfected if that makes sense
Old 05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
My V12 sounds a little different.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by hdtv22
Wait hold on -- Are you kidding me?

OK the interior is absolute garbage according to you, have you ever sat in one? According to your info you have a 2005 S500, a probably less than $20K car, I'm pretty sure the interior of the SLR is very very nice in comparison, and if you bring up the Porsche 911 GT3RS, that interior is worse. Face it, these kinds of cars do not put interior comfort at a high level, they put SPEED and EXHAUST note at a high level, unless you are dealing with Italian vehicles in which passion and Italian design call for the interior to be top notch. Ford GT's interior isnt better than the SLR either.

Stupid vents and slats on the exterior? THATS THE PURPOSE OF A SUPERCAR. I'm sorry if its not as practical as your S500, but guess what, supercars are supposed to be flashy, have ridiculous tailights, vents and slats for both performance and for show, its a supercar, its not supposed to be a regular vehicle, it needs to stand out. What did you expect an SLR to look like, an SL with an R at the end and thats it?

Also, have you driven a $500K SLR and a the Porsche? I don't know how you can quote the handling feel of these cars unless you have driven one. Also, porsche's are supposed to be about handling, Mercedes about speed and torque, If I am correct.

Exhaust sound is a BIG BIG part of a car in the high performance supercar realm, if you don't care for exhaust note, ridiculous styling, and want a plush and comfortable interior, then you cant APPRECIATE a supercar, its like having a 16 year old buy a Rolls Royce, they'd much rather have a fast car instead of a Rolls Royce to loft around, I'm surprised at the age of 25 someone wants a comfortable, safe, quiet car to drive around in.....

But I agree with one thing you said: I'd never buy one, cause Lambos and Ferraris are much better in my book
To start, I've driven a 360, an slr (admitted only for about 10-15 min), a gallardo, GT3RS and 996/997 turbo.

As to your comments about my car, its possible that its fallen below 20k, but I happen to enjoy the designo 220 interior. That said, I have no clue what the car I drive has to do with my thoughts on the SLR.

that is not a nice or attractive interior. That aluminum trim looks cheap and thats just the start of it. The GT3RS interior isn't mind blowing, but its msrp is also about $320k less, so perhaps some of that is allowable. That said, material quality is easily as good as the SLR. I'm not even talking comfort (the slr was comfortable enough), I'm talking about appearance and quality.

Once again, exhaust note means nothing to me. I simply don't care. If the car was powered by a silent electric engine, I would not be upset.

Amazing, even lamborghini, which has typically had the most outlandish of exterior designs did away with all those slats and vents. They went with a clean design and its far better than their earlier junk.

I said nothing about being as practical as my s500. That said, I don't think supercars require fugly tailights. The SL is a much cleaner design. Let me guess though, supercars need automatic transmissions?

As I mentioned, yes I"ve driven both (porsche was more indepth than the slr) and the SLR had the slightly numb off center steering wheel common on MBs and ultimately the feel was lacking.

MB about speed and torque? I'm not sure. Certainly not what I look for in an mb.

I can appreciate a supercar, I don't consider the SLR to be one. The autotragic, the awful styling, and the unimpressive handling feel make it a fast grand touring automobile, and nothing more.

Why wouldn't a 25 year old want a stylish, comfortable, softly sprung, quiet, and comfortable vehicle. I work long hours and don't want to come back to some loud uncomfortable vehicle. I have a weekend car that offers a very high level of performance. No need to have some compromised sedan to drive daily.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Akademiks

'nuff said.

Listen ********, if all I wanted was a fast car I could keep my mustang.

There is more to a car than speed.

Drive a GT3RS and tell me it isn't a supercar. It embarrasses every MB ever made in almost every way, except straightline speed.

MB can't build sports cars, period!

Unlike the modern 20-something exotic owner, I have no interest in drag racing and find it absolutely retarded how focused people are on straightline speed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: best day in my life SL65 BS, AND SLR 722s at Fletcher Jones Chicago