SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: best day in my life SL65 BS, AND SLR 722s at Fletcher Jones Chicago

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
Having owned, driven and raced a 427 Cobra (CSX 3127) , a Ferrari Daytona 365GTB/4, and numerous vintage Porsches I think the SLR in a true classic and among one of the ultimate supercars.

Owning and driving an SL65 is amazing but I cherish the thought of soon owning the SLR ROADSTER. I think the car looks amazing. I loved the coupe design but am not a closed car person. The second I saw the SLR Roadster in Monterey at the Vintage car races I knew I had to have one... They are very Retro and styled like the vintage and world class 300SLR. This was in the intended design hence the name SLR. The Retro design was also the case with the Ford GT the BMW Z8 and even the Rolls Phantom.

The sound of an exotic car is NOT a determining factor but is important to most of the people who buy this type of machine. I do not want a race car sound for my daily driver but the song of a high performance engine is amazing! ...
To someone a bit younger who does not understand or appreciated the amazing sound of a Vintage V12 Ferrari at speed is something that cannot be explained. Being part of a race with numerous V12 Ferraris at high speed is truely a sound I will cherish forever. Whaaaaaaa..Whaaaaaaaa...Whaaaaaa...Whaaaaaaaaaaaa

"RAADIO!..... You never gonna get no raadio... You gonna listen to di beautiful MUSIC of di engine!"

Enzo Ferrari 1964
I can appreciate your point of view, although I ultimately disagree.

At least you don't get defensive when someone doesn't love your favorite supercar.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Oliverk
There is more to a car than speed.

Drive a GT3RS and tell me it isn't a supercar. It embarrasses every MB ever made in almost every way, except straightline speed.
Well, not in the comfort department. A roadtrip in a GT3RS might not be as relaxing as in for example an SL65 AMG.

I completely agree with you that there is more to 'sportscars' than straight line speed. But there also is more to a 'sportscar' than hardcore track perfomance.

And then there is the personal preference: I'd take an SLR722S roadster over any other car. Besides, embarassment is for the insecure.

MB can't build sports cars, period!
MB builds some of the best all-rounders, period.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:08 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Hey tasho, thx for posting

Share much of your enthusiasm for perf cars since I was a small kid and even today when I look back and admire any car I'm driving (even my humble 65 after my usual ~2 mile urban commute)

To each his own; we all have different budgets, driving tastes and roads....and these change dramatically over course of one's life

Am a minimalist and hate to have more than one car in my garage for both daily commuting and wkend enjoyment; for me, that car is '09 CL65 until '10 CL65 arrives; have owned and/or test-driven nearly every perf car on planet and find CL65 works best for me, but don't really care if that's every other guy's one and only choice (or if people on street can differentiate it from a CL550 or an Acura or a Solara)

Several cars like GT2 or 599 are rather fascinating cars to drive, but know many guys who own all kinds of interesting new F/P (and have had Veyron in past) but mysteriously choose to drive some new AMG CL/SL/S (non-SLR and non-Blk) on both wkdays and wkends; funny how that works....
Old 05-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLR722,SL63AMG
25 year old clueless opinionated kid decides to blast the SLR and you guys are trying to beat some sense into him lol ?
Not going to happen and not worth the effort.
But and a big but, he is entitled to his opinion as flawed as it may be.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
My opinion is flawed only because you own the car, of course you are going to think its the best thing in the world. If you like it, great! I don't, and that hardly makes me "clueless"
Old 05-09-2009, 08:34 PM

SLR722,SL63AMG
I couldn't care less if you like the car or not .There isn't a single car that is perfect for everyone's taste and what turns one's crank might not cut it for the next person.
What makes you clueless are the uneducated opinions behind the comparisons with the other cars . Clearly you have had very little experience with different exotics .
Old 05-10-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
sticking to the ground well is great. Handling feel is another story. GT3RS> slr in handling feel by 3 miles.
It sticks extremely well to the ground and handles absolutely phenomenal. The car was rated number 1 on the top gear track when it first came out. Granted, the GT3RS may handle better than the SLR, but not by much, or at least not by as much as you seem to be implying

Exterior design is garbage. Cluttered, stupid vents and slats, SOFT TOP, awful awful tailights, etc.
The vents make the car look even more aggressive, but as others have mentioned, they are essential in allowing the V8 monster underneath the hood to breath and cool off better. Also, not all SLRs have soft top. You can decide to get a hard top or a soft top; it's your choice.

The interior is absolute GARBAGE at the price point. Even top gear pointed this out. It is hideous and just plain cheap.
We were talking about the SLR 722 interior. Here is a picture of the interior of the SLR 722..... I personally don't think the regular SLR interior is bad at all, but the SLR722 interior is definitely better.

That interior does not look cheap from any angle. As you can see, there is carbon fiber everywhere, alcantara, suede, and pretty much absolute perfection on every curve and everything else. MB builds some of the nicest interiors.

Technology and engineering? maybe but I don't see it.
You may not see it, but the engine and the car employ some of the most advanced engineering technology around.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I'm not going to respond to every point individually, but you seem to struggle with the difference in handling and handling feel. Slalom speed and skidpad grip have nothing to do with how the vehicle feels. The slr felt heavy and a bit sloppy to me with some numbness in the steering.

Regardless of whether all slr's have a vert or not, the fact that a 500k vehicle has a soft top is disappointing.

I've never cared for carbon fiber on any vehicle interior, but I agree that the 722 has a better interior than the standard model. The design of the SL interior is better to me. But I'll grant you that this interior looks less cheap. Still doesn't scream $500k vehicle to me, but I digress.

Please describe what magical technology is employed in the engine?

a 3v SOHC v8 with a lysholm positive displacement V8 is not exactly mindblowing. The dry sump oiling system is a good move, but you can get that in a $75k corvette, so I'm not exactly blown away by that.

Perhaps I can be educated here, because I'm not aware of any other impressive engine technology.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze7LX...eature=related

Interesting. Also, in this video, you can see some of the interior pieces I don't approve of, like the esp button area which actually has blank button covers. Thats not what I want to see in my top of the line $500k vehicle
Old 05-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

SL600
Listen ********, if all I wanted was a fast car I could keep my mustang.

There is more to a car than speed.

Drive a GT3RS and tell me it isn't a supercar. It embarrasses every MB ever made in almost every way, except straightline speed.

MB can't build sports cars, period!

Unlike the modern 20-something exotic owner, I have no interest in drag racing and find it absolutely retarded how focused people are on straightline speed.
Get the f**k out off your high-horse you tool.

Yeah, why focus on straight line speed? I'm sorry, but really, I can't recall the last time I raced anyone around LA like it's Laguna Scea. Turn left on Broadway and quick right on 6th!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Akademiks
Get the f**k out off your high-horse you tool.

Yeah, why focus on straight line speed? I'm sorry, but really, I can't recall the last time I raced anyone around LA like it's Laguna Scea. Turn left on Broadway and quick right on 6th!
Unlike yourself, I don't have to prove anything to anyone, so I don't street race.

you shouldn't be racing anyone around LA or anywhere else. Street racing is dangerous, childish, and stupid

grow up.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Rob,

I think in general, most of the people on this site have absolutely horrific taste in just about everything.

-Oliver
Seems like reason enough to find a new playground, why punnish yourself mingling in here with people that you really can't stand?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

SL600
Unlike yourself, I don't have to prove anything to anyone, so I don't street race.

you shouldn't be racing anyone around LA or anywhere else. Street racing is dangerous, childish, and stupid

grow up.
Yup. Who races for fun? Clearly, everyone who races does it to prove something.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by LSM777
I agree, the SLR is butt ugly....and to have an automatic trans!!!?? On a sports car!!??....come on....
What about the porche's tiptronic? Double clutches autos shift faster than their counter part manuals. Get use to the computer age.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by m_berman
What about the porche's tiptronic? Double clutches autos shift faster than their counter part manuals. Get use to the computer age.
Porsche's PDK (not tiptronic, important distinction) has a manual transmission that is actuated by the paddle shifters, not an automatic.

The SLR has an automatic.

That said, while the clutchless manuals may be faster, you lose a lot of the experience in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Many
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze7LX...eature=related

Interesting. Also, in this video, you can see some of the interior pieces I don't approve of, like the esp button area which actually has blank button covers. Thats not what I want to see in my top of the line $500k vehicle
So you care about "blank buttons" and not how a car sounds? Interesting...
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by ////AMG
So you care about "blank buttons" and not how a car sounds? Interesting...
yes. I'm an interior *****. You would think that for $500k, mercedes could have created a new part that doesn't includes blanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
yes. I'm an interior *****. You would think that for $500k, mercedes could have created a new part that doesn't includes blanks.
Although I generally disagree with your definition of 'fun' and 'best day of ones life' I must agree with you here. Mercedes (and McLaren) could have gone a bit more out of their way to address this.

Same for the SL series though, the blank buttons should not be there.