SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: If you have an aftermarket heat exchange and/or pulley/tune on your SL55 step in ASAP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
If you have an aftermarket heat exchange and/or pulley/tune on your SL55 step in ASAP

Hey guys, so I was down at TVT Design, they are a forum vendor, and installed the cm030 pump along with k&n air filters today (great guys to work with btw).

I want to do a pulley and tune soon on my SL55 but we were discussing how the heatsoak and the supercharger shutting off is an issue.

They recently did an E55 with a full exhaust, 180mm LET pulley, LET tune, Kleeman headers. The car broke the bolt on 55k record with 485 whp and 595 tq I believe.

Well when he went to the track he was running right around 185 temps which is right around supercharger shutoff. That owner is going back for a heat exchanger they custom made for him.

But While they were under the car installing my cm030 pump the SL has a smaller heat exchanger than the e55 does stock.. which obviously helps the e55 get better power, etc. In addition because of this the heat exchanger that they made for the E55 won't fit on the SL. Well I live 12 minutes from the shop so we are looking to prefab something for me. And they are hoping to be able to sell H/E to the whole community if it can work out.

So as we were going over the car, and possible locations, the SL is really cramped compared to the E55.

So my question is: If your SL55 has a heat exchanger what kind is it, and what are the dimensions and where did you fit it?

Question 2: For the guys with SL55s who have a pulley and tune, where do you live, what pulley size, and do you have issues with the supercharger shutting off? I dont want to do a pulley/tune and freakin have the supercharger shut off ever other WOT burst, etc.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Who in their right mind would run a 180mm pulley without a H/E???

Hyedon Motorsports recently did a H/E kit on an SL55, and EVOSport offers a H/E for the SL55 as well.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
I was told just the opposite that the SL55 has a bigger factory IC than other V8K cars. In the SL the factory IC core is between the engine radiator and the A/C radiator from what I've been told; if such is the case then running an additional IC core bumper mounted in series would be a way to avoid heat soak.

I am interested in what you guys come up with; and subsequently what you have available. I'm in MD not too far from NJ so that helps...does your shop specialize in mb's ...got a link to their website?

thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost

Hyedon Motorsports recently did a H/E kit on an SL55, and EVOSport offers a H/E for the SL55 as well.
Hi Marcus...any more info on that Hyedon Motorsports H/E? Shop info/location etc...web link...I'm looking for some H/E help as well...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
I was told just the opposite that the SL55 has a bigger factory IC than other V8K cars. In the SL the factory IC core is between the engine radiator and the A/C radiator from what I've been told; if such is the case then running an additional IC core bumper mounted in series would be a way to avoid heat soak.

I am interested in what you guys come up with; and subsequently what you have available. I'm in MD not too far from NJ so that helps...does your shop specialize in mb's ...got a link to their website?

thanks
tvtdes********

not really all that done on the site, but you can call then from the number on the site. they are a sponsor here.

im talking about the heat exchanger not the intercooler. the heat exchanger isn't as wide on the SL like the e55
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost

all the evosport stuff says W211 E55 on it..
Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 PM

LS430

thanks
I heard the same info as well, I thought the SL55 had a better heat exchanger vs. the rest of the 55k cars.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55AMGFan
I heard the same info as well, I thought the SL55 had a better heat exchanger vs. the rest of the 55k cars.

When Tony was under the car, and looking at measurements that is not what he said.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
We have a fair amount of experience with this issue. Our goal is to maximize performance, keeping the modifications and the costs under control. That is very much our mission.

I think for the average enthusiast who wants to enjoy his car, it is entirely possible to improve the performance of these engines, keep them reliable and not get crazy with modifications and costs. However, there are guys that want to drag race, etc., that are going to require a bit more work.

Using a 180mm pulley will absolutely require the use of improved cooling, whether you live in AZ or AK. Frankly I am surprised that they weren't able to get more power. I don't know who writes their software, but with the increased boost that is being made because of the 180mm pulley, their software should mate to the level of boost and take advantage of it. If the software isn't right, the car will bleed off much of the boost

We do all of our pulleys custom for each client, depending on what they want, and we write software accordingly to work with the particular level of boost that the pulley will generate. Generally speaking, in my experience. 172mm seems to be the area where above that there are cooling problems, and below that, there aren't.

If there aren't cooling issues, the SC will not shut off.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 PM

pick up
Looks like you're in a hurry man...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
The SL55's stock cooling setup is actually quite good. My SL55 hot lapped back-to-back 11.4 second 1/4 miles on a 175mm pulley with no supplemental cooling.

Improving the SL55's cooling is also real easy: just mount a second heat exchanger under bumper and connect it in series with the first one along the lines of the W220's cooling setup. More info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/3453069-post25.html

If your guy thought the SL55 heat exchanger was small he must have mis-measured it. No big deal. Stuff like that happens. In particular if he was attempting to measure the HE from underneath the car he might not have realized how tall it is.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jmf003
The SL55's stock cooling setup is actually quite good. My SL55 hot lapped back-to-back 11.4 second 1/4 miles on a 175mm pulley with no supplemental cooling.

Improving the SL55's cooling is also real easy: just mount a second heat exchanger under bumper and connect it in series with the first one along the lines of the W220's cooling setup. More info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/3453069-post25.html

If your guy thought the SL55 heat exchanger was small he must have mis-measured it. No big deal. Stuff like that happens. In particular if he was attempting to measure the HE from underneath the car he might not have realized how tall it is.
When you say mount a second, meaning leave the stock one and add a second one that will fit next to it, same positioning?

Also what kind for the 2nd h/e?

Last edited by InTheBenz0; 05-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by InTheBenz0
When you say mount a second, meaning leave the stock one and add a second one that will fit next to it, same positioning?

Also what kind for the 2nd h/e?
Yes, leave the stock heat exchanger in place. The SL55's heat exchanger is behind the bumper, between the engine radiator and the air conditioning radiator. The supplemental heat exchanger gets mounted below the bumper in front of the stock heat exchanger. Check out the diagrams in the link that I posted.

I have a VRP supplemental heat exchanger. It works great but it's not listed on the website so Victor may not be selling them any more.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by jmf003

This is the same set-up as the S55? Completely didn't realize it went the entire height of the radiator. That makes for a completely different thought process. Yes a supplementary HE would be the most practical.

I read your post, are running the OEM pump? I'm extremely impressed with your numbers regardless, but even more so if that is the case.

Much appreciate the info!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Hi Marcus...any more info on that Hyedon Motorsports H/E? Shop info/location etc...web link...I'm looking for some H/E help as well...
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...on-motors.html

Pictures of the EVOsport setup on an SL55 as well...

-m