SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Nightmare at the Drag Strip yesterday.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Dont feel bad I was in reverse when i overstepped the tree sensor
I completely forgot about BC I was talking to the race steward
I did a perfect burnout too, tires all sticky waiting for the second yellow

Imagine my surprise and the announcers too.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Dont feel bad I was in reverse when i overstepped the tree sensor
I completely forgot about BC I was talking to the race steward
I did a perfect burnout too, tires all sticky waiting for the second yellow

Imagine my surprise and the announcers too.
LMAO, Thanks Brother.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
charles. this is embarrassment at the track:
hint: watch the M5. I saw this inperson (i was at the track that day racing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvXV...e=channel_page
Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by jturkel
charles. this is embarrassment at the track:
hint: watch the M5. I saw this inperson (i was at the track that day racing).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvXV...e=channel_page
Yeah, that is truly embarrassing. Hey question, When i'm at the track right, my ESP indicator lamp should display on the dash, this means that it is off after I press the ESP button correct? Than in order for me to place my ABC on comfort and in Dyno mode, I need to ensure that the red indicator lamp is out on the ABC, that is actually the regular driving mode and not the sporty mode correct? So, I'm thinking from what I am being told that this is how I run my car at the track along with not gunning it at the launch and only lightly feathering the throttle till I gain decent traction.

Now I do understand that the ESP when engaged, will appear when traction is lost and that the brakes will apply automatically to whichever wheel loses traction from the road surface, however I need to be cautious with the ESP not being engaged, were as the car can go out of control if too much torque is being applied at one given time. Am I correct with my assumptions? I also have not been driving with my ABC on sport mode either, is that a screw up or should it be on regular, were I believe will place me in comfort mode and also the Dyno mode? The owners manual does not really make this clear to me.

Last edited by charles pearson; 06-23-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by charles pearson
Yeah, that is truly embarrassing. Hey question, When i'm at the track right, my ESP indicator lamp should display on the dash, this means that it is off after I press the ESP button correct? Than in order for me to place my ABC on comfort and in Dyno mode, I need to ensure that the red indicator lamp is out on the ABC, that is actually the regular driving mode and not the sporty mode correct? So, I'm thinking from what I am being told that this is how I run my car at the track along with not gunning it at the launch and only lightly feathering the throttle till I gain decent traction.

Now I do understand that the ESP when engaged, will appear when traction is lost and that the brakes will apply automatically to whichever wheel loses traction from the road surface, however I need to be cautious with the ESP not being engaged, were as the car can go out of control if too much torque is being applied at one given time. Am I correct with my assumptions? I also have not been driving with my ABC on sport mode either, is that a screw up or should it be on regular, were I believe will place me in comfort mode and also the Dyno mode? The owners manual does not really make this clear to me.
Charles:

In order to place the car in dyno mode there is a very specific procedure, and I believe that this thread will show you the way. Just remember to be careful, because YOU are now in control!

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...dyno-mode.html
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Charles:

In order to place the car in dyno mode there is a very specific procedure, and I believe that this thread will show you the way. Just remember to be careful, because YOU are now in control!

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...dyno-mode.html
Dino, thanks,but I have questions brother.

1) How do I come out of Dyno once I am finished???
2) What are the benefits of Dyno Mode?
3) Do you reccommend Dyno mode?
4) Is that how you race?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
IMHO there is no reason to be in dyno mode unless you are on the dyno. Turning ESP off will net you the same straight line performance.

Here is a link on how to activate dyno mode in an SL55.
https://mbworld.org/forums/1862280-post1.html

Here is a VIDEO of how to put an E55 in dyno mode. Should basically be the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFHlDn-hw1s

BONUS video of Eisenmann Exhaust on an SL55! Nice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpYEjJayTo
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 PM

K, thanks, but I plan on putting her on the Dyno machine, I don't think she will Dyno unless I put her in the Dyno mode. I might be wrong, but I really believe that my instrument cluster will light up like a Christmas Tree if I Dyno her without putting her in Dyno mode, better yet I need to know how to reverse the procedure.

By the way, I am still waiting for that pump, I already have my tools gathered together to do the job inside of my garage, LOL I am excited..
Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
you can do a dyno just fine without being in dyno mode
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Charles,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but the reality is your times are not a result of the car "not being designed" for the drag strip, they have to do with your car lacking HP as other members had indicated. You actually cut a sub 2.0 second 60' on your first pass which actually isn't too shabby, but you definitely do not have the MPH (horsepower) to run really good times.

You definitely need to have your pump changed and should also look into adding a heat exchanger. There may not be any shops immediately near to you if you do not feel capable of doing the job, but you should have it done by someone well trained as when adding a heat exchanger you will have to open up your cooling circuit and you want to avoid getting any air bubbles in your system.

Overall it seems like you are going to have to put some effort into getting the car to run right and with limited local resources it may be challenging. You should dyno the car before and after to make sure that your car is in fact running properly and you should also back up those dyno's with trips to the drag strip.

Good luck...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fantasm
you can do a dyno just fine without being in dyno mode
Ok, thanks I don't think that i want to play around with the Dyno mode procedure, knowing my luck I will be driving down the road and and my front bumper will just fall off for no reason at all.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Charles,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but the reality is your times are not a result of the car "not being designed" for the drag strip, they have to do with your car lacking HP as other members had indicated. You actually cut a sub 2.0 second 60' on your first pass which actually isn't too shabby, but you definitely do not have the MPH (horsepower) to run really good times.

You definitely need to have your pump changed and should also look into adding a heat exchanger. There may not be any shops immediately near to you if you do not feel capable of doing the job, but you should have it done by someone well trained as when adding a heat exchanger you will have to open up your cooling circuit and you want to avoid getting any air bubbles in your system.

Overall it seems like you are going to have to put some effort into getting the car to run right and with limited local resources it may be challenging. You should dyno the car before and after to make sure that your car is in fact running properly and you should also back up those dyno's with trips to the drag strip.

Good luck...
Thanks Marcus, I will look into the heat exchanger soon and than I will attempt to ship my car out on the next available stage coach.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
contact BrianS on the board here or pm me for his phone number. he can work on your car in MT Airy md and do the work.