SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Looking for a radar detector.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, CLK550
I have the 9500ix and it has saved my @$$ a few times. The upside is the Redlight/Speedtrap camera alerts. It's a Ford/Chevy thing Passport or V1 you can't go wrong.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 PM

An Amg
Thats a posibility.

Originally Posted by soulsearcher
I recommend the Passport SRX/9500 series.
I have had many. Here is my experience for u to consider.
First, I am going to assume that your budget is in line with your car.

Detection and false alarms are not the priority. While your higher priced brands do have an edge in these areas based on the many comparison tests (do your own research), keep in mind your number one priority is effective laser shifting (jamming). Most cops are using lasers because they are not usually detected by driver detection devices, unless aimed at that vehicle and by that time it’s too late. With radar, the "whole world" is alerted to a potential cop in the area.

Considering the risks, invest in a PROFESSIONALLY installed system that has a laser shifter OUTSIDE THE CAR (remote system).

Case-in-point:
Officers are trained to aim the laser (infrared) at the front license plate. Not your dash or mirror where most non-remote detectors sit. Good chance your laser detector will never "see it" unless cop has a shaky hand and elevates the beam to your dash. Not a risk worth saving a few hundred bucks over
Laser beams from an officers laser gun at 1000 feet expands to 2 feet only unlike a radar beam which blanket an area the size of the Atlantic. Think of a radar beam as a cone - narrow at the radar antenna and widening as it heads for the horizon. Even the narrowest of radar beams - 11 degrees - is 38 feet wide when 200 feet down the road and 57 feet wide at 300 feet away. Some radar units transmit a beam as wide as 24 degrees. By the time a radar beam is several hundred feet from a patrol car, the microwaves are blanketing an area as wide as an expressway.
In fact that’s one of reasons radar is going the way of the dinosaurs for departments that can afford to replace it. It often can be challenged in court by the well-to-do who can afford a “clever” attorney.
Make your decision wisely if you have a heavy a foot. My choice has saved me many-a-headaches, including at least 3 times in the last year, were the officer was aiming directly at me. The shifters in the front “saved” the day with the exception of my near heart attacks each time.

Wow thanks for all the info ill definitely check that out.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
First, I am going to assume that your budget is in line with your car.
LMAO
Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by F1Bobby
I have the 9500ix and it has saved my @$$ a few times. The upside is the Redlight/Speedtrap camera alerts. It's a Ford/Chevy thing Passport or V1 you can't go wrong.
Fortunately, use of laser speed guns is limited. There are accuracy issues with these devices and they require that the "gun" be aimed at you. Of course, this has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with money. I keep the POI's updated so I know where the cameras are -- which are blatantly unconstitutional and have been challenged many times. Again, it's only about the money. The downside of radar for the cops is testicular cancer - much higher incidence for cops that use radar speed traps.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:11 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by jbondox
LMAO
+1

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
JK is right! At the end of the day its about revenue generating not safety!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by F1Bobby
JK is right! At the end of the day its about revenue generating not safety!
Yes that is so true, and unfortunately it makes me not have any respect for them at all.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Aren't they illegal in NY?

regardless, I'd go with a V1, but don't rely on them 100%, always lookout for cops- your eyes and gut feelings are your best bet haha