SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: All-Season tires on high HP SL's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
All-Season tires on high HP SL's

I live in a place with cold winters. Summer tires are not an option for me as even in dry conditions, they shouldn't be driven in temps lower than 40*F. Since I plan on driving my SL600 sometimes this winter, and I need tires anyway, I'm considering a set of Ultra High Performance (UHP) all season tires. Right now, I'm leaning towards the new Conti ExtremeContact DWS (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes)

Do any of you guys run your SL in the winter? And if so, can you think of any reason why I shouldn't run that tire? The other option is the Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S, but it's a bit more expensive and an older design.

Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
If you didn't get the 4-Matic option on your Benz, better keep it in the garage and get a cheap Ford Explorer for the snow ;-) My RWD MBs suck on snow and ice.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BeltFedBob
If you didn't get the 4-Matic option on your Benz, better keep it in the garage and get a cheap Ford Explorer for the snow ;-) My RWD MBs suck on snow and ice.
Don't plan on driving her in the snow. I've got the R500 for that. But, I do plan on driving her in dry cold conditions sometimes. Summer tires should not be driven winter, even in dry cold, as they lack the proper additives to remain somewhat soft in sub 40*F temps.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
stay with summers, i made that mistake on my E55 and put those damn P Zero Neros on, horrible traction...your car wont have traction if you stomp on it down low with any tire...ive run summer tires thru our winters on my cl with no issues
Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
I see your in Maryland .. IMO it doesn't get that cold down there in the winter..well comparing it to Jersey where I am. I mostly drive my Honda in winter but if you just pull your car out on special occasions like myself and not your daily vehicle you'll be just fine. BTW I have 20's. However I never pull her out when the roads are snow covered. Just watch your speed and be very careful on turns and you'll be fine
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JAYCL600
stay with summers, i made that mistake on my E55 and put those damn P Zero Neros on, horrible traction...your car wont have traction if you stomp on it down low with any tire...ive run summer tires thru our winters on my cl with no issues
Jay, you say your drove on summers through the whole winter? That's pretty nuts, especially with the power your car is putting down. You do realize, that under 40*, summer tires harden up because they lack the proper chemicals that make them pliable. I'm just afraid of a tire cracking or exploding at high speeds in the bitter cold.

Even though we don't get a whole lot of snow here, we do get cold. Real cold. Not that my SL would ever see a mile of wet winter weather, I'm just worried about the safety of high speed driving on summer tires.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
All seasons for the cold weather months make a lot of sense to me. I drive my SL in the winter (dry days only) and have to really feather the throttle to keep the tires from breaking loose.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Jay, you say your drove on summers through the whole winter? That's pretty nuts, especially with the power your car is putting down. You do realize, that under 40*, summer tires harden up because they lack the proper chemicals that make them pliable. I'm just afraid of a tire cracking or exploding at high speeds in the bitter cold.

Even though we don't get a whole lot of snow here, we do get cold. Real cold. Not that my SL would ever see a mile of wet winter weather, I'm just worried about the safety of high speed driving on summer tires.
yep im on my second pair of tires now, and put 75k miles on my E55 with just summers. Im with you on the tread compound...I can assure you its not going to spontaneously explode man.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
yep im on my second pair of tires now, and put 75k miles on my E55 with just summers. Im with you on the tread compound...I can assure you its not going to spontaneously explode man.
Heh man, instead of crunching the love wagon, why not just buy a cheap
4 wheel drive for the nasty weather
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55 AMG, Range Rover Evoque
I find my SL55 with 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all-season) tyres, perfect for winter weather in Ontario, Canada. I just adjust my driving to the prevailing conditions at the time.

But, remember, winter tyres would be even better (I just feel I don't need them).
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM

06 SL65 AMG, 04 E5004Matic,02 911Turbo (Fluidmotorunion tuned),06 Cayenne S
That's why I drive the 04 E500 4Matic for the winters of Chicagoland...it's a champ in the snow...picked it up last year with 36k miles for only $22k ($72k sticker). XLNT car IMO.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Get a set of Nokian WR (WR G2 is the new model i think) for winter driving and be easy on the gas in "C" and you'll be fine. I used to take of the stop lights in C320 RWD as fast as other folks in SUVs in 3 inches of snow.
With CLK500 it’s a bit harder but still manageable. Better than my girl’s 325I with all seasons.
Just don't plan on cornering fast or racing anyone. They are great in snow, but do not compare to summer performance tires.
My .02
Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by Geo3
I find my SL55 with 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all-season) tyres, perfect for winter weather in Ontario, Canada. I just adjust my driving to the prevailing conditions at the time.

But, remember, winter tyres would be even better (I just feel I don't need them).
+1, I put them on E55 and on my C280 4 Matic. Best all season tire on the market today!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM

2007 sl55 amg,2008 chev dually,yamaha r1,custom harley
Blowout!

Last winter around Dec. it was a nice sunny day, just above freezing and i couldnt resist taken mine out.I have the summer tires on it from factory and guess what,hit a pot hole and she blew apart! Looked into it and the specs were true about the temperature,not to be driving in the cold temps!Headn home once i changed to the spare and saw another one on the side with a blown tire. Our friends in the south have it made
Old 10-06-2009, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Clayton bro..ain't nothing gonna explode around here with our winters or your tires...it takes A LOT more cold temps over much longer durations for tires to harden and even then the polymers will not crack...trust me you'll be fine with your same tires...tire compounds are much more likely to harden (i.e loose overall grip) through many many heat cycles where the temp delta is very very very large...for example taking a soft compound (mild to soft racing slick) and putting extreme heat into it (like racing/competition on a circuit...nothing you can do on the street including spirited driving or runs in mexico) then placing that tire in much much colder place (not MD cold but more like Canadian arctic cold for weeks burrried in snow or ice) and doing that many times day after day...then yes you could effect those tires and they would harden significantly and not perform but even then exploding is a stretch, that has much more to do with the construction of the carcus than durameter of the rubber compound. In your case your tires will not crack or explode period.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM

2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I have never had a problem with my Pilot Sports in cold temperatures in absence of precipitation. They are terrible in heavy rain and any snow whatsoever. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus will be the replacements.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
Clayton bro..ain't nothing gonna explode around here with our winters or your tires...it takes A LOT more cold temps over much longer durations for tires to harden and even then the polymers will not crack...trust me you'll be fine with your same tires...tire compounds are much more likely to harden (i.e loose overall grip) through many many heat cycles where the temp delta is very very very large...for example taking a soft compound (mild to soft racing slick) and putting extreme heat into it (like racing/competition on a circuit...nothing you can do on the street including spirited driving or runs in mexico) then placing that tire in much much colder place (not MD cold but more like Canadian arctic cold for weeks burrried in snow or ice) and doing that many times day after day...then yes you could effect those tires and they would harden significantly and not perform but even then exploding is a stretch, that has much more to do with the construction of the carcus than durameter of the rubber compound. In your case your tires will not crack or explode period.
I hear ya. I don't expect them to spontaneously combust, but what I'm worried about is running a summer tire in temps in the teens. Let's say the car has been sitting for a few weeks in the bitter cold, then I decide to have a 150mph run and hit some sort of hole/bump what have you......

That's what I'm worried about. There's a reason they say that you shouldn't drive on summer tires in temps below 40*, no? Or is that some arbitrary number that someone came up with to sell more tires? Hell if I know.

In the end, I decided on a quality set of high-perf all season tires for my stock wheels. They're on their way to the dealer as I type this. I'll run those in the winter and I'll have a set of dedicated summer tires on some mack daddy wheels for the warm months. Problem solved and I'll have peace of mind in the cold months.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I hear ya. I don't expect them to spontaneously combust, but what I'm worried about is running a summer tire in temps in the teens. Let's say the car has been sitting for a few weeks in the bitter cold, then I decide to have a 150mph run and hit some sort of hole/bump what have you......

That's what I'm worried about. There's a reason they say that you shouldn't drive on summer tires in temps below 40*, no? Or is that some arbitrary number that someone came up with to sell more tires? Hell if I know.

In the end, I decided on a quality set of high-perf all season tires for my stock wheels. They're on their way to the dealer as I type this. I'll run those in the winter and I'll have a set of dedicated summer tires on some mack daddy wheels for the warm months. Problem solved and I'll have peace of mind in the cold months.

Sounds good man...although you'd be fine on a 150 run even on a tire thats been out in the cold (* actually the faster you go and the more transient braking you do the more the rubber core shell and carcus layers heat up)...I think for peice of mind you did the right thing; the worst thing you could do is second guess a decsion at those speeds

when are we getting our cars lowered waiting to see what kinda wheels u have in mind for the SL600...you know how to pick 'em that's for sure...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
Sounds good man...although you'd be fine on a 150 run even on a tire thats been out in the cold (* actually the faster you go and the more transient braking you do the more the rubber core shell and carcus layers heat up)...I think for peice of mind you did the right thing; the worst thing you could do is second guess a decsion at those speeds

when are we getting our cars lowered waiting to see what kinda wheels u have in mind for the SL600...you know how to pick 'em that's for sure...
You have PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55

Did you wind up buying the Contis?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jmf003
Did you wind up buying the Contis?
Yes sir. The new Conti ExtremeContact DWS:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes