SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2010 SL63, OR AM V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Audi S5
2010 SL63, OR AM V8 Vantage

Hey Guys,
Just joined the amazing forum today.
I've never owned a mercedes, but lately I have been very very interested in the new SL63. I'm considering getting one, but I have been very confused picking between SL63 and AM V8 Vantage..
I would really love to hear from you guys...
I personally love the SL63 a lot, but I'm only worried if I would still like it when the next generation SL is produced in a couple years (I would not like to pay 150K and have it look outdated in 2 or 3yrs).
All of your opinion, photos, videos, advice...... will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
IMO the SL and the AMV8 aren't comparable if you take the driving characteristics into account. Drive 'm both to see what suits you best. Drive both the AMV8 manual and automatic (I personally prefer the manual over the 'robotronic').

Of course, in the looks dept. the Aston Martins are hard to beat, especially with the 'new&improved' SL looks...
Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I would think that the AM V8 will most likely change in 3 years as well ..
Old 10-10-2009, 04:35 PM

IDE TAKE THE AM
Old 10-10-2009, 04:46 PM

2018 SL 65 AMG 2017 GLE 63S 2015 RAM RT
Go the SL63!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
IMO you wont get the same performance out of the AM as you will out of the SL..

That being said, you won't get the interior quality from the SL that you will get from the AM...

Furthermore, I think AM has more of an exotic appeal to it in this country as opposed to the SL which is regarded as more mainstream...

If you want to be noticed, and want the smell of a handcrafted interior, get the AM...

If you want a sleeper with a bit more tech, get the SL...

Just my thoughts!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I have an SL55 and a AM V8 Vantage, and they are not really comparable.

Both can be driven regularly. The SL is the muscle car. The AM always feels special. Both are great, but very different.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 PM

'05 C55
I recently drove an AM V8 Vantage and the SL63 will destroy the AM in the acceleration category, if that matters....

Needless to say, the AM sounded great but was so shockingly slow that I chose not to buy it. It is truly a beautiful car though both inside & out.
Exotic look, exotic sound, Honda performance. (o.k...o.k....Honda with a VTECH...)

Last edited by E63PWR; 10-10-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:41 PM

LS430
^^That's been the issue with the baby Aston, amazing looks, interior and 380hp 302ft-lbs For 2009+ they did stroke the V8 up to 4.7L from 4.3L, now yielding 420hp and 346ft-lbs of torque. The 2009 car now is as fast as an E9x M3 or 4.2 R8 (C&D got a 12.7 1/4 mile out of it). The old 380hp car got 13.5 in the 1/4 mile and a 5.0-5.1 0-60, I wish they gave it more power to begin with, looks amazing, smells amazing, but doesn't go like amazing (especially when even a C55/C32 can demolish it, don't even want to know what a C63 will do to it).

BTW, I see that the OP owns an S5, the V8 before the 2009 model year is only as quick as your S5. If you're going to step up in all categories such as looks and interior refinement; speed should be upgraded as well. I'm hoping the AM V8 you're looking at is atleast a 2009 if not the car is only as fast as your current S5.

Last edited by E55AMGFan; 10-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by E55AMGFan
^^That's been the issue with the baby Aston, amazing looks, interior and 380hp 302ft-lbs For 2009+ they did stroke the V8 up to 4.7L from 4.3L, now yielding 420hp and 346ft-lbs of torque. The 2009 car now is as fast as an E9x M3 or 4.2 R8 (C&D got a 12.7 1/4 mile out of it). The old 380hp car got 13.5 in the 1/4 mile and a 5.0-5.1 0-60, I wish they gave it more power to begin with, looks amazing, smells amazing, but doesn't go like amazing (especially when even a C55/C32 can demolish it, don't even want to know what a C63 will do to it).

BTW, I see that the OP owns an S5, the V8 before the 2009 model year is only as quick as your S5. If you're going to step up in all categories such as looks and interior refinement; speed should be upgraded as well. I'm hoping the AM V8 you're looking at is atleast a 2009 if not the car is only as fast as your current S5.
There is far more to performance than straight line grunt. My AM is an incredible car..... different than the SL, and a totally different driving experience.

It all depends what you are looking for. In my experience as a track instructor, most people who are driving 500hp cars, can barely control a 100hp Civic. A 380hp AM can be as much fun (or more) than a 500hp car... it all depends on 'operating system' behind the wheel.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Martinez
Hey Guys,
Just joined the amazing forum today.
I've never owned a mercedes, but lately I have been very very interested in the new SL63. I'm considering getting one, but I have been very confused picking between SL63 and AM V8 Vantage..
I would really love to hear from you guys...
I personally love the SL63 a lot, but I'm only worried if I would still like it when the next generation SL is produced in a couple years (I would not like to pay 150K and have it look outdated in 2 or 3yrs).
All of your opinion, photos, videos, advice...... will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
At the end of the day it's up to you.
But as other members will tell you, I love my SL63.
I have driven a DB9 but wasn't impressed. The ride was not as good as I expected, and it felt stodgy. The 63 by comparison feels quite nimble.
I have had my SL63 for 8 months, and I still get a thrill every time I drive it.
You vever get used to it's fabulous sound, my radio is almost de-funct, as there's the way it changes gear. I have had E55,SL55 and CL65 and in my opinion this is the best all round car. Go buy it!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 PM

LS430
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
There is far more to performance than straight line grunt. My AM is an incredible car..... different than the SL, and a totally different driving experience.

It all depends what you are looking for. In my experience as a track instructor, most people who are driving 500hp cars, can barely control a 100hp Civic. A 380hp AM can be as much fun (or more) than a 500hp car... it all depends on 'operating system' behind the wheel.
I understand that Dino, I love the prestige and looks of Aston and in no way was bashing what it is. Like many said, it's all about preference, best thing is for the OP to test drive both and make a decision, all in all, in the end you get what you want.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 AM

2009 Audi S5
Thanks everyone for all your very well enjoyed comments.
The point of my post was not really to compare the SL63 to AM Vantage as i clearly understand both are 2 different cars.
Personally, I wanted to hear your perspectives on owning a mercedes over time. I have been changing cars a lot because i get tired once the model is revised (i feel outdated). A friend of mine who drives Only MB cars explained to me, the only reason he is able to keep them for a long time is because he never gets tired of an MB design.
I want a car i would be a able to enjoy for a reasonable time even when there's a new/revised model. I also like great driving experience, craftsmanship and luxury, yet a bit understated.
I have an idea of what i want, but i needed to hear from you guys (fortunate MB/AM owners) to help me completely solidify my choice and opinion.
Once again thank you for responding, I'm still looking to read more and more comments/opinon.
I'm happy to be a part of this great forum!

Last edited by Martinez; 10-12-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Martinez
Thanks everyone for all your very well enjoyed comments.
The point of my post was not really to compare the SL63 to AM Vantage as i clearly understand both are 2 different cars.
Personally, I wanted to hear your perspectives on owning a mercedes over time. I have been changing cars a lot because i get tired once the model is revised (i feel outdated). A friend of mine who drives Only MB cars explained to me, the only reason he is able to keep them for a long time is because he never gets tired of an MB design.
I want a car i would be a able to enjoy for a reasonable time even when there's a new/revised model. I also like great driving experience, craftsmanship and luxury, yet a bit understated.
I have an idea of what i want, but i needed to hear from you guys (fortunate MB/AM owners) to help me completely solidify my choice and opinion.
Once again thank you for responding, I'm still looking to read more and more comments/opinon.
I'm happy to be a part of this great forum!
Unfortunately we all get tired driving the same car. Normally after 6 months
my mind is drifting through the mags looking at new cars.
However I have had my SL63 for 8 months, the suns out here in the UK although it's cold. So roof down. air scarf on, oh! that noise and off
to work in a car that's even more exciting to drive than when new!!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
Check this out - I was lucky a friend of mine had an AM Vantage and we went for a cruise. Mine is a 55 tho, both our cars are lowered with rims so the look is a bit diff from stock, mine silver, his dark silver.

We went for a 30 mile cruise and switched cars each way.

Attention:
The SL definitely gets more looks. Even that this AM was very nice with Rims, I guess that it just blends in a bit much with a bigger coupe and a little more under the radar. I would def. notice it, also mine is a 55 so maybe a 63 would get a bit more looks.

Speed:
SL definitely faster, we didnt do any real race, just quick pulls here and there.

Interior:
AM is nicer. Just more refined overall. Love the manual. A bit smaller than SL. However the 63 interior is a bit more refined than the 55.

Overall:
I like both and would purchase both if I had a chance, but I dont so the SL it is for me. The AM will def. give that "people that know whats up" will notice. SL just general public, more "hater" looks in the SL especially with top down. People tend to respect larger AMG's, not many ricer flybys and so on, the AM if noticed I'm sure would get "egged on" by some.

Just what happend that day and IMO.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 150shot
Check this out - I was lucky a friend of mine had an AM Vantage and we went for a cruise. Mine is a 55 tho, both our cars are lowered with rims so the look is a bit diff from stock, mine silver, his dark silver.

We went for a 30 mile cruise and switched cars each way.

Attention:
The SL definitely gets more looks. Even that this AM was very nice with Rims, I guess that it just blends in a bit much with a bigger coupe and a little more under the radar. I would def. notice it, also mine is a 55 so maybe a 63 would get a bit more looks.

Speed:
SL definitely faster, we didnt do any real race, just quick pulls here and there.

Interior:
AM is nicer. Just more refined overall. Love the manual. A bit smaller than SL. However the 63 interior is a bit more refined than the 55.

Overall:
I like both and would purchase both if I had a chance, but I dont so the SL it is for me. The AM will def. give that "people that know whats up" will notice. SL just general public, more "hater" looks in the SL especially with top down. People tend to respect larger AMG's, not many ricer flybys and so on, the AM if noticed I'm sure would get "egged on" by some.

Just what happend that day and IMO.
Sounds like you had a great day.
It's my dream to have a garage stocked with supercars, so you can drive
a different car each day.
However there is one thing against AMG's, to me my car is the dogs nuts, but
Mercedes is known not particularly for high performance cars. they make vans
and commercial vehicles. Ferrari, Porsche,Aston,Lotus,Lamborghini,TVR,
and even Maserati and Jaguar are thought of as sports cars, and none make commercial vehicles, but I might be wrong.
I have a Mercedes SL63, just doesn't sound as good as I have a Lambo!
Still as I said it doesn't bother me, I have IMO the best, a SL63.