SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: trunk lid not closeing /possible pse pump problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
trunk lid not closeing /possible pse pump problem?

Trunk lid doesnt close fully, will not do automatic lock down position.
But after manually working with the lock mechanism it started working again. Then worked 5 or so times and stopped. I had to pull the pse pump fuse and reinsert it to reset the fault.
it will work 5 or 6 times then quit again.
It is also making a prolonged vacuum sound at the lock after it clamps down. Maybe 5 to 7 sec. I dont think it was doing this before.
Has anybody had trouble with the trunk lock or pse pump ??
Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
trunk lid not closeing /possible pse pump problem? If you are hearing a vacuum noise at the trunk latch area, then the vacuum port has came apart. This is common on CL's, you will need a new trunk lid latch assembly.

Contact you local dealer or give us a call at 800 992 3694. If your a preatty good DIY you can install it yourself, otherwise if you are located in the SF/Oakland area, swing by the shop and we can install it for you. As well as anyother service/performance items you might need or want.

Happy Benzing!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for your response.
I fixed this problem yesterday, and didnt cost anything. I asked MB and 2 other shops about this and all answered the vacuum noise indicated a leak in the vac system parts in the latch assembly. All said to replace it. ( one unit, $375)
I took everything apart to see exactly what was leaking. I finally found a split in one of the plastic tubes that pipes the vacuum to different places in the mechanism. It was in a spot I could coat the split with epoxy and seal the whole little tube.
So this elimated the leak and cured the problem.
If you do have a vacuum sound around the latch mechanism, or the auto lock down wont function, and a trunk lid not closed warning, this is most likely caused by the lock mechanism. You can completely replace it, or dissamble it and look it over good and try to find the source of the air leaking. If you happen to have a bad part, the 3 vacuum canisters and electrical switch are available seperately and have good 220 part #s on them.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Mine is not closing, but I don't have vacuum noises. You mentioned the fuse. Where is the fuse for this?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

behind pass seat, in storage comp. take out false bottom. its 20a fuse.

If all your other vac mechanisms are working it should be the latch assembly that is bad. Youll have to diagnosis it. Make sure there is vacuum getting to it on the yellow tube.
There is 2 electrical switches in it and 3 vac modules and lots of mechanical arms and moving parts.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G63, 360CS, CLK63 BS, 997.2TT, 328D
Originally Posted by okbarnett
Thanks for your response.
I fixed this problem yesterday, and didnt cost anything. I asked MB and 2 other shops about this and all answered the vacuum noise indicated a leak in the vac system parts in the latch assembly. All said to replace it. ( one unit, $375)
I took everything apart to see exactly what was leaking. I finally found a split in one of the plastic tubes that pipes the vacuum to different places in the mechanism. It was in a spot I could coat the split with epoxy and seal the whole little tube.
So this elimated the leak and cured the problem.
If you do have a vacuum sound around the latch mechanism, or the auto lock down wont function, and a trunk lid not closed warning, this is most likely caused by the lock mechanism. You can completely replace it, or dissamble it and look it over good and try to find the source of the air leaking. If you happen to have a bad part, the 3 vacuum canisters and electrical switch are available seperately and have good 220 part #s on them.
I'm experiencing your exact problem with the trunk closing right down to pulling the 20 amp fuse and making it work. Now my question is where do i find these hoses you speak up to check for leaks are the located on the trunk lid under the carpet? Let me know want to get to the bottom of this.

Justin
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 57 Likes on 14 Posts
08 ML350, 2011 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by JBFMCAR
I'm experiencing your exact problem with the trunk closing right down to pulling the 20 amp fuse and making it work. Now my question is where do i find these hoses you speak up to check for leaks are the located on the trunk lid under the carpet? Let me know want to get to the bottom of this.

Justin
Check out my post here..
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...w-fix-diy.html

-Nick
Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 SL55,01 acura cls,05 lotus elise RIP
I had this same issue.
I took it to my local independant on Monday and he replaced the pump.
The CSC warranty saved the day again.
If you have warranty i would just have the pump replaced.