SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Need a little SL55 Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 GTC Edition 50
Need a little SL55 Advice

Hey everyone,

I've been searching for a used SL55 for a few months now and need some advice from those of you who have experience with this incredible machine.

If you were given the option of these two cars, which would you choose? Why?

Unfortunately, there are no nice SL55's around where I live in South Florida, so I'm forced to look out of state. These are the best cars I have found around my budget (~60k).

First nominee:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=272996850
2006 SL55 CPO
030 performance package
black/berry interior (how does the red interior wear? It looks very sexy...)
only 9.5k miles (likely babied its entire life)
Carfax shows "corporate" owner for 1 month/1k miles, followed by private owner for the rest of the time. Factory wrranty still has 10 months + 1 year for CPO.

Owned in Michigan/Massachusetts (but possibly to only have been driven during good weather due to the extremely low miles for the model year?) I'm a Florida man (sorry for being naive), but what do I have to worry about a car that was owned in snow climates?

Second nominee:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=271516300
2007 SL55
black/black
25.3k miles (likely a daily driver)
Carfax shows 1 owner by lease
Owned in Louisiana
Factory warranty has 14 months left.

I plan on getting an extended warranty with either car. Both cars are equipped with roughly the same options (keyless go, parktronic, pano. '06 has 030PP while '07 has trunk closer and carbon fiber trim). Does the 030 PP significantly stiffen the suspension? Is it worth it? I don't plan to track the car.

I've read that distronic is an indispensable option from some and from others a waste of money. Am I correct in that distronic completely modulates the gas/brake pedal for you? Will it bring the car to a complete stop and then go again?

Now for some more questions
Does anyone have any driving experience between an 05/06 SL55 and the newer 07/08 SL55's? I'm sure some of you have upgraded over the years I've read the press release and know they "improved" the steering feel, ABC gen II, updated front fascia and rear tail lights, etc. Can anyone comment on the actual driving experience?

For those of you with an '07, any less chance for an ABC failure/leak? I've read that the components were simplified while maintaining similar ride comfort...has this helped with the common problem these cars have? How about the rattling roof? I've driven 1 SL55 before, a 2006, and it was an absolute blast. However, the roof on that car rattled terribly.

Sorry for all the questions. I've waited a long time for a car like this and am very excited by the whole process. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Now that's how you post a "which one" question. Well done.

I can't speak to all of your questions, but if it were me, I'd take the 2006 with no miles on it. 9K miles is nothing and the 22 months of warranty are invaluable.

Not to mention, black w/berry is absolutely mouth watering.

When I was looking for an SL, I looked at a bunch. I found there to be a big difference between cheap and nice. I ended up with the absolutely cleanest SL600 available for sale in the country and paid more for it. I flew half way across the country and drove it back, if that tells you anything.

Since you can't kick the tires on these cars, the one with the lowest miles is mostly likely going to be the best kept. I mean, it's not even ready for it's first oil change technically.

Get the first one, save a few grand and drive the ever living snot out of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am always VERY skeptical of cars with very very low miles, lets say that car is 4 or 5 years old and hasnt actually had its first oil change? thats not good at all. sitting for very long periods of time are bad on seals and gaskets, the cars that sit forever tened to be troublesome in my opinion. just my .02

im in south florida too, i looked at a bunch, wht sold me on mine was the 2 years of warrant remain and ok miles at 30 something k. i actually might sell mine if you are interested. pm for details
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
I use the Distronic ALL the time. Most interesting game I play is, I set it at 70 in Wenatchee and try to go all the way to Seattle not touching the brake. Best I have done is to Monroe when I had to stop for a light. Mine will go from 70 to 30 following the car in front no problem (if you have the guts). I love Distronic!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM

2004 SL55
How about an '04? 22k miles and 15k less than your budget!! LOL

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1537508152.html

Don't mind the posted price, can't trick mbworld members into paying that, I'll let it go for mid 40's =)
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Not a bad price on the '04. I'm with GFEAR, I don't like cars that sit. He's absolutely right about the seals and lubricants. Plus that means even the gas has sat for a while which gets corrosive. If you can drive it before you by try to find one of the member who can look at it. I like cars that have been driven by a responsible driver.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
There's no way to tell that it's been sitting stagnant. Maybe the previous owner lived 2 miles from work. Maybe it was a second or 3rd car that got driven once a week. Both of those scenarios will have no ill effects on the car.

Now, if it was driven 9K miles in the first 6months of it's life, and has been on the shelf since, that's a different story.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
There's no way to tell that it's been sitting stagnant. Maybe the previous owner lived 2 miles from work. Maybe it was a second or 3rd car that got driven once a week. Both of those scenarios will have no ill effects on the car.

Now, if it was driven 9K miles in the first 6months of it's life, and has been on the shelf since, that's a different story.
Agreed, I bought my '04 in '08 with only 7k miles on it. I've driven exactly 15k miles to date with nary a problem (sans tcu, but that's electronic and essentially a recall item). It was a weekend car for the 1st owner and well taken care of. It really is a coin toss, though. Best to get a feel for the seller of the car, to see if he's savvy enough to know how to maintain a garage queen.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I prefer cars with a bit higher miles with a clean service history and good documentation. Best if you know the prior owner well (brother, friends, family etc...)

very low mile cars scare me....the national avg is 10K miles/yr .... so even a car with 30-50K miles on it is fine if it's a few years old, the car is driven on highways mostly, and it has a desirable service record history with all services documented/verified.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM

2018 GTC Edition 50
Thanks for the replies so far, fellas

Anyone have any comments on the driving experience between the 2006 and 2007's?

The 2006 both intrigues and scares me. 9k miles could mean the car was absolutely babied and in mint condition. It could also mean it sat around for months at a time as you all mentioned and will be a nightmare to own now. Unfortunately the seller of the 2006 is a dealership so I don't think I will get any information about the previous owner/how the car was driven.

Thanks for the car offers, but red is a bit too much for my style and I'm really looking for a my2005 and up.

Hmmmm
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Sunir
I prefer cars with a bit higher miles with a clean service history and good documentation. Best if you know the prior owner well (brother, friends, family etc...)

very low mile cars scare me....the national avg is 10K miles/yr .... so even a car with 30-50K miles on it is fine if it's a few years old, the car is driven on highways mostly, and it has a desirable service record history with all services documented/verified.
I agree, very low mileage cars that are a few years old worry me. I bought
a CL65 4 years old with 12k miles. Loads of niggly things went wrong in the first few months, luckily covered under warranty. My best car was a 2 year
old E55 with 48k on the clock, no problems, nice car.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
'06 w/030 package is the choice!

You should be able to research the service/warranty history of the car. It should have annual fluid changes and inspections, especially if the milage is low.

Last edited by IngenereAMG; 01-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 PM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
'06 w/030 package is the choice!

You should be able to research the service/warranty history of the car. It should have annual fluid changes and inspections, especially if the milage is low.
+1 on that! I wish I had waited around for an 030 pkg version, just for the aesthetic appeal alone.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM

2018 GTC Edition 50
The 2006 SL55 030 isn't looking too good at this point...

I inquired with the dealer and got the following information:

Apparently the car was originally a "demo car for an MB executive, before we sold it to a client" It was a demo car for approximately 1.5 months and the first 1000 miles.

I asked for the maintenance history but the dealer wouldn't provide it. Pretty interesting when they clearly advertise "Please remember to ask for this vehicle's complete Pre-Owned Portfolio which includes a full CARFAX and maintenance history." Apparently, the portfolio for this car only consists of "carfax and pictures."

I asked if the sales rep would look through the service history and tell me of any fluid changes. I received the following response: "I looked through the maintenance history and could not find an oil change. I can tell you however, that the person who owned this car has bought many cars from us and is known for taking extremely good care of his cars. He's well know to everyone here, and there has never been a question of not doing the right things for his cars. Also, please keep in mind this car is Certified Pre-owned and is warrantied to Sept. 29, 2011 or 100k
miles."

What do you all think about this new information? There is a big difference between taking good care of a car's exterior/interior and a car's mechanical components.

Edit: Spoke with the sales rep I was dealing with and have a bit more info. The car has never had a service performed. Only warranty work was a rear window seal leak, performed in 12/09. Thoughts?

Last edited by cryhavok; 01-07-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: more information
Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
My FSS goes off every 12 months for the "A" (alt to B) service. The brake fluid is changed every two years. So if they say "it's not time for service" they are not observing the recommended MB service by time. JMHO

Originally Posted by cryhavok
The 2006 SL55 030 isn't looking too good at this point...

I inquired with the dealer and got the following information:

Apparently the car was originally a "demo car for an MB executive, before we sold it to a client" It was a demo car for approximately 1.5 months and the first 1000 miles.

I asked for the maintenance history but the dealer wouldn't provide it. Pretty interesting when they clearly advertise "Please remember to ask for this vehicle's complete Pre-Owned Portfolio which includes a full CARFAX and maintenance history." Apparently, the portfolio for this car only consists of "carfax and pictures."

I asked if the sales rep would look through the service history and tell me of any fluid changes. I received the following response: "I looked through the maintenance history and could not find an oil change. I can tell you however, that the person who owned this car has bought many cars from us and is known for taking extremely good care of his cars. He's well know to everyone here, and there has never been a question of not doing the right things for his cars. Also, please keep in mind this car is Certified Pre-owned and is warrantied to Sept. 29, 2011 or 100k
miles."

What do you all think about this new information? There is a big difference between taking good care of a car's exterior/interior and a car's mechanical components.

Edit: Spoke with the sales rep I was dealing with and have a bit more info. The car has never had a service performed. Only warranty work was a rear window seal leak, performed in 12/09. Thoughts?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 AM

ML63, ML320
No oil change or brake fluid for that matter in 3-4 years? I guess that I would pass. Besides, I prefer the 19s on the '07 and the carbon trim. I use my trunk closer all the time since I am in and out of my car a lot and my briefcase is there, I like the second button that closes the trunk and locks the car. Very convenient.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
sitting still fluids in a car without proper change/flush intervals is not good. what's worse is you don't know how the car was driven...these cars perform and last when they are driven relatively well (not stoplight to stoplight) I mean high speed for long periods of time in a relatively high rpm range, that keeps the seals proper, carbon to a minimum, and rotating assy and other engine vitals freshly lubricated.

If your looking for an 06 or 07 I'd try to get tomething with at least 20 - 30K miles ...just my opinion...others may disagree
Old 01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Remember, you are dealing with a 'sales geek'. Generally, these guys only care about closing the next deal and have no interest in cars. In could be widgets or broom handles, instead of cars.

Ask to speak with the sales manager and push the issue for documentation on the 030 car. What the sales guy is telling you is that the customer takes great care of his cars, but there are no records to that effect. Therefore, the owner either ignored the FSS or he didn't take care of it or they are too lazy to look things up. I think that this car is worth pushing the issue a bit. If there is still no documentation, walk and keep looking.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:43 PM

07 SL55, 1954 Corvette, 09 E350
2006 SL55 has 493 hp and 2007 has 510 hp. Also the 030 option has several items that come with it and the list was around 14,000.00. See another post where I posted the prices for 2007 030.

Choices, Choices. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by GOODENUF; 01-10-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
GFEAR, that's a beautiful car!