SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: BIG MISTAKE -- SL55 v. BOXTER S -- BOOOOO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
What was the outcome of this?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
IMO Boxter = Mazda Miata with a Porsche logo
Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C280 - Going to replaced with SL 55
Talking

Originally Posted by bjr7141
...for the first time since he had a modded to christ dodge stealth in high school...
The Dodge Stealth was the **** in the early 90s
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
There is a fair bit of insecurity here. About the last thing I think about when buying a car, is what someone I don't know or care about thinks. It's about the driving experience.

If you haven't driven a boxter S, you are missing out. It is a absolute brilliant driver's car. Also, listening to everyone talk about how poorly the SL55 handles is very telling about the skill levels. The last time I was instructing, the instructors got their own session to have a bit of fun, and while out with the SL55 with the instructor group, the SL55 made short work of an NSX, GT3 and kept pace with a Z06 (until the brakes gave up the ghost. Don't underestimate the SL55.

Every car is different and requires adjusting of one's technique in order to extract the most performance. If the boxter S is a chick car, I want to hang with those girls.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Well said IngenereAMG...well said.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
There is a fair bit of insecurity here. About the last thing I think about when buying a car, is what someone I don't know or care about thinks. It's about the driving experience.

If you haven't driven a boxter S, you are missing out. It is a absolute brilliant driver's car. Also, listening to everyone talk about how poorly the SL55 handles is very telling about the skill levels. The last time I was instructing, the instructors got their own session to have a bit of fun, and while out with the SL55 with the instructor group, the SL55 made short work of an NSX, GT3 and kept pace with a Z06 (until the brakes gave up the ghost. Don't underestimate the SL55.

Every car is different and requires adjusting of one's technique in order to extract the most performance. If the boxter S is a chick car, I want to hang with those girls.
Dino with all due respect you are wrong. An SL55 will not trump a GT3 on a road course, period. All things being the same - car mod level as welll as same driver.

I've been racing competatively since '04 in BMW CCA and NASA GTS all over the east coast, midwest, and Canada and instructing as well for many different orgs (inc. MB, PCA, Ferrari etc...) so I have driven many of these cars, including the ones you mentioned. The SL has legs on the straight aways and is manageable through the corners with throttle steer. Corner entry push is emminent, severe brake fade, and less then great feedback are all traits of the SL...this is undeniable.

Again, the SL is not horrible out there on a circuit (it's managable and can be drivne fairly quickly, but the same driver would put down faster laps in a GT3 for example). No matter how you want to play it - it's just not a Porsche and even lacks the connectiveness of a BMW, plain and simple. The SL is a brilliant roadster, and epic GT cruiser, and a gorgeous chassis with tremendous history, grace, and power...it's the epitome of mercedes glory - all that I agree AND I love the SL....BUT it's not the best choice for a road course car.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG

Originally Posted by Sunir
Dino with all due respect you are wrong. An SL55 will not trump a GT3 on a road course, period. All things being the same - car mod level as welll as same driver.

I've been racing competatively since '04 in BMW CCA and NASA GTS all over the east coast, midwest, and Canada and instructing as well for many different orgs (inc. MB, PCA, Ferrari etc...) so I have driven many of these cars, including the ones you mentioned. The SL has legs on the straight aways and is manageable through the corners with throttle steer. Corner entry push is emminent, severe brake fade, and less then great feedback are all traits of the SL...this is undeniable.

Again, the SL is not horrible out there on a circuit (it's managable and can be drivne fairly quickly, but the same driver would put down faster laps in a GT3 for example). No matter how you want to play it - it's just not a Porsche and even lacks the connectiveness of a BMW, plain and simple. The SL is a brilliant roadster, and epic GT cruiser, and a gorgeous chassis with tremendous history, grace, and power...it's the epitome of mercedes glory - all that I agree AND I love the SL....BUT it's not the best choice for a road course car.

I will have to agree. If the GT3 got beat by an AMG SL then it was most likely a driver issue. As they say in the correct circles: If you want your car to be faster - let me drive it.