SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Tune & DR Only SL65 MIR Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65
Tune & DR Only SL65 MIR Results

First I want to say thanks to the great group of MB guys at MIR, it was my first trip to the strip with the 65 and I learned a lot by watching them! Tons of pointers, couldn't have asked for better company.

Although I haven't had a chance to dyno the car post tuning I have MHP v3 CDT (ECU & TCU Tuning), drop in BMC filters, and C63 wheels (thanks guys!) with Nitto 18" DRs out back.

I made about 7 passes learning the car (for some reason the burnout was a real pain lol), but in the end I got my best pass in the worst air of the day, which made me happy.

This is a full weight 2006 SL65 Designo with 3/4 tank of half 93, half 100 (I miscalculated fuel consumption otw to MIR doh!). No skinnies or lightweight wheels, just what's posted.

Overall I'm very happy and I think if we can get the 60's down it will run 10s, especially considering it was 74F at the time of this pass and DA was
+1249'!!!!

I would love to put this monster in the 10s with just filters, tuning and DRs!

Thanks again for a great day guys!

Andy from MHP was there taping and he got mine on video as well, I will post as soon as he sends me a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVw-JPAxrH0

Last edited by JHDavis; 02-19-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Nice results!

Yeah, you've got a few tenths you can probably shave out of your 60' time.

I went to MIR for the get together in 09 and had a blast meeting the guys out thataway.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Fantastic times! We could've had epic side by side drags, had I been able to make it.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
Definitely smoking times man , If you could get those 60's down you could very well hit 10's IMO
Old 02-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Banned

SL65
Originally Posted by jmf003
Nice results!

Yeah, you've got a few tenths you can probably shave out of your 60' time.

I went to MIR for the get together in 09 and had a blast meeting the guys out thataway.
jmf, thanks for the kind words! The MIR crew is fantastic, even the drag strip owner is super nice, out there working with the rest of his guys. It was a beautiful day, just a tad hot for racing but better than snow!

Any suggestions for lowering my 60'? I'm going to get custom drag wheels made which will help but other than that? Do you leave ABC on/off? What about ride height?

600/65 guys, what rpm do you leave at? Auto sport mode or manual? I left in auto all day.

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Fantastic times! We could've had epic side by side drags, had I been able to make it.
I've been following your car and times and first congrats!!! I would have loved to have had the chance to run with you, would have made for some great racing as you said. Maybe next rental!!

Originally Posted by m4xm1l10n
Definitely smoking times man , If you could get those 60's down you could very well hit 10's IMO
Thank you sir! From past cars dragging is all about the 60, just need to figure out how to lower it. Tried some things yest but haven't figured it out just yet.

Thanks guys!!!

One more question, how hard or easy is it to cut the cats out of this car? Or would I need a whole new exhaust?

Last edited by JHDavis; 02-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by JHDavis
Any suggestions for lowering my 60'? I'm going to get custom drag wheels made which will help but other than that? Do you leave ABC on/off? What about ride height?
One more question, how hard or easy is it to cut the cats out of this car? Or would I need a whole new exhaust?
The W211 drag race sticky (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...acing-how.html) has good advice but to summarize how I launch:

- ESP off (I've also launched in dyno mode but it didn't make much difference for me)
- Ride height high
- Left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator
- Release the brake and ease into the throttle at the same time
- Take about 1 second to reach wide open throttle (less with drag radials)

You're basically trying to ride the accelerator right up to the point where ESP would kick in if you gave it any more throttle. (ESP off is a bit of a misnomer; ESP can engage even with ESP off.) You'll probably be able to find that line with just a bit of practice.

On your cat question, you definitely do not need to replace the entire exhaust and can either straight pipe or use high flow cats instead.

Good luck! Enjoy!!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Pinto
nice... i've never been to the track...would like to try out my S55
Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: SL65 Times

Congrats on the times, with your trap speed you should be able to get into the 10's.

I'm going to make one of the MIR events this season, finished up getting my SL ready for Summer season, she is looking/running great.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 PM

SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
How were you launching your SL65?

I know you had DRs and a tune but a perfect launch on the SL65 is very difficult to master... You seem very close!

I have read on the V-12s with a tune there is a very fine line between realizing the absolute max performance because the MBs electronics often will fight back and dial boost/timing down trying to protect the drivetrain from the new excessive power/torque...

Did you have issues with the ESP fighting you or did the DRs control the wheel spin enough? You stated burn-outs were a pain...

What were you doing to get those results in an SL65?

1. Trans mode?

2. ESP on or off?

3. Stomp on throttle or roll-on power?

4. Launch RPM?

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 02-19-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned

SL65
Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVw-JPAxrH0
Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

SL65
Originally Posted by jmf003
The W211 drag race sticky (https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...acing-how.html) has good advice but to summarize how I launch:

- ESP off (I've also launched in dyno mode but it didn't make much difference for me)
- Ride height high
- Left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator
- Release the brake and ease into the throttle at the same time
- Take about 1 second to reach wide open throttle (less with drag radials)

You're basically trying to ride the accelerator right up to the point where ESP would kick in if you gave it any more throttle. (ESP off is a bit of a misnomer; ESP can engage even with ESP off.) You'll probably be able to find that line with just a bit of practice.

On your cat question, you definitely do not need to replace the entire exhaust and can either straight pipe or use high flow cats instead.

Good luck! Enjoy!!
Awesome sir, thank you so much!!! I had ABC on, lowest position for suspension. ESP off and dyno mode make no diff (to me either tried that at least). Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by NCE500
Congrats on the times, with your trap speed you should be able to get into the 10's.

I'm going to make one of the MIR events this season, finished up getting my SL ready for Summer season, she is looking/running great.
Thank you! Hope to meet you out there. I think we can crack 10s at 130 as is but ripping the cats out sounds sooo tempting. Wanna hear more of that TT V12!

Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
I know you had DRs and a tune but a perfect launch on the SL65 is very difficult to master... You seem very close!

I have read on the V-12s with a tune there is a very fine line between realizing the absolute max performance because the MBs electronics often will fight back and dial boost/timing down trying to protect the drivetrain from the new excessive power/torque...

Did you have issues with the ESP fighting you or did the DRs control the wheel spin enough? You stated burn-outs were a pain...

What were you doing to get those results in an SL65?

1. Trans mode?

2. ESP on or off?

3. Stomp on throttle or roll-on power?

4. Launch RPM?
You know I experienced the exact issue on launch and during burnouts. ESP stepped in even though off. It seemed like when burning out unless the rpms were high enough before touching the brake the ESP would just kill power. Launch was tricky too but I think the DRs helped there although my 60's were not good IMO at least.

Auto/Sport

ESP off

brake torqued to 2000rpm then stomped

Thanks guys! Huge help!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Auto/Sport

ESP off

brake torqued to 2000rpm then stomped

Thanks guys! Huge help!

Be careful with the what I've highlighted. With the amount of torque that we put to our rear wheels at such a low RPM, our axles scream for mercy.

If you trailored the car to the track, then by all means, have at it. But if you drove it there, you might want to leave off-idle, to insure that you'll be able to get home. Your times will won't be as good, but it's all about having fun first. Snapping an axle in one of these bad boys, is not fun. Almost every one of us, that races the V12TT platform, either has already snapped one or more.

BTW, next time, try RAISING the ABC to highest level. That will allow for more rear end squat on launch.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 02-19-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM

SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
I think that the SL65 has stronger axles then the SL600

When I checked the axle part numbers the SL65 had a different number then the SL600/SL55 etc. I assume that the SL65 axles are stronger plus the SL65 has the Limited Slip that should divide the torque to both wheels...

No doubt that the axles are under EXTREME stress but having SL65 parts might be a little better but still probably the weak link in the drive train...

I have not read that anyone has broken the SL65 axles. That does not mean that there may not be lots of them in 2 pieces in the tuners trash bins...
Old 02-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

SL65
Be careful with the what I've highlighted. With the amount of torque that we put to our rear wheels at such a low RPM, our axles scream for mercy.

If you trailored the car to the track, then by all means, have at it. But if you drove it there, you might want to leave off-idle, to insure that you'll be able to get home. Your times will won't be as good, but it's all about having fun first. Snapping an axle in one of these bad boys, is not fun. Almost every one of us, that races the V12TT platform, either has already snapped one or more.

BTW, next time, try RAISING the ABC to highest level. That will allow for more rear end squat on launch.
Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll take what I can get from the ranking champ! I did drive it there 460 miles each way, way better fuel economy than I thought, which was part of the too much fuel left in tank problem LOL!

What rpm do you launch at?

Raising the susp makes sense for weight transfer, why that didn't occur to me at the track I'll probably never know. Oh well, lots of stuff to work on improving for the next trip. Thanks again.

When I checked the axle part numbers the SL65 had a different number then the SL600/SL55 etc. I assume that the SL65 axles are stronger plus the SL65 has the Limited Slip that should divide the torque to both wheels...

No doubt that the axles are under EXTREME stress but having SL65 parts might be a little better but still probably the weak link in the drive train...

I have not read that anyone has broken the SL65 axles. That does not mean that there may not be lots of them in 2 pieces in the tuners trash bins...
Thanks for the heads up, I wonder if my dealer's parts dept. manager could figure it out?

Thanks again guys, keep the advice flowing!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You might be right about the SL65 axles being stronger, I'm not certain. I witnessed Camdon, in his tuned SL65, snap one last summer. I do know that Stephen snapped one in his S65, the last time out with us, he snapped 2 or 3 in his S600, Jay snapped 1 or 2 in his CL600, and I think Marko may have snapped one in his CL65.

Makes sense that the SL65 get stronger ones though, and the LSD will help.

Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll take what I can get from the ranking champ! I did drive it there 460 miles each way, way better fuel economy than I thought, which was part of the too much fuel left in tank problem LOL!

What rpm do you launch at?

Raising the susp makes sense for weight transfer, why that didn't occur to me at the track I'll probably never know. Oh well, lots of stuff to work on improving for the next trip. Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up, I wonder if my dealer's parts dept. manager could figure it out?

Thanks again guys, keep the advice flowing!
It's easy to forget. There's already so much involved in just getting these cars to do a proper burnout. If you're lucky, it won't go into limp mode. But yes, raising the car up, is going to be your best bet for better weight transfer. Oddly enough, my quickest time was in the normal ride height mode.

I tend to leave off-idle most of the time. The other times, I'm just bringing the revs up enough to take the slop out of the driveline. I don't think I've ever left over 1300 RPMs or so. I'm scurred.

I see you're in Ohio. I can only assume you'll be at Timmayfest in June?

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 02-19-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

SL65
You might be right about the SL65 axles being stronger, I'm not certain. I witnessed Camdon, in his tuned SL65, snap one last summer. I do know that Stephen snapped one in his S65, the last time out with us, he snapped 2 or 3 in his S600, Jay snapped 1 or 2 in his CL600, and I think Marko may have snapped one in his CL65.

Makes sense that the SL65 get stronger ones though, and the LSD will help.
Thanks for the heads up either way, it's definitely something to think about in these heavy cars. Since we're talking about it how much are axles for these things?

It's easy to forget. There's already so much involved in just getting these cars to do a proper burnout. If you're lucky, it won't go into limp mode. But yes, raising the car up, is going to be your best bet for better weight transfer. Oddly enough, my quickest time was in the normal ride height mode.
Yes the burnouts made me look like a moron no question about it. If I didn't get enough wheelspin going before hitting the brake to hold the car the engine would just bog. Track officials looked at me like I rode the bus lol. Never had this problem before, welcome to a MB TT V12 eh?

I tend to leave off-idle most of the time. The other times, I'm just bringing the revs up enough to take the slop out of the driveline. I don't think I've ever left over 1300 RPMs or so. I'm scurred.

I see you're in Ohio. I can only assume you'll be at Timmayfest in June?

Gotcha, I definitely need to play around more with launch rpm and technique, 1.79 is pathetic for a car with this much torque. One of the naturally aspirated C63s was cutting 1.58s, crazy!

Yes definitely will be in attendance for that event, are you coming out? I'm sure we'll be back at MIR before then but will be nice to meet whenever it happens.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Supra
Awesome pass! that mph is really hauling the mail

Jay
Old 02-19-2011, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Excellent times! If you leave a little harder say hello to 10's.

In terms of axles, I had about close to 25 passes on my previous CL65 and everytime it left the line I could have sworn I was going to brake an Axle but false alarm. I was one fo the lucky ones not to tow it home. I was putting 920+ rwtq by the way.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

SL65
Originally Posted by Philly Single
Awesome pass! that mph is really hauling the mail

Jay

Thank you! Hopefully we'll get some better air next trip out too.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

SL65
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Excellent times! If you leave a little harder say hello to 10's.

In terms of axles, I had about close to 25 passes on my previous CL65 and everytime it left the line I could have sworn I was going to brake an Axle but false alarm. I was one fo the lucky ones not to tow it home. I was putting 920+ rwtq by the way.

Thank you, 920rwtq+ is just crazy!! Good to know you had a good amount of passes in without breakage and that kind of torque.

Definitely my number one goal is nailing the launch for next time.

LOL I forgot to mention on my first pass and every subsequent one the rollbar popped up on launch, scared the **** out of me thought I got rearended by a 7 second car or something. After a few passes I just left it up. Anyone know how to get around that? LOL!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:55 AM

18 Titan XD 13 Cayenne TT 13 BMW HP4
Good info in here and congrats on the runs. I'm just curious if anyone has tried doing a second gear burnout to spin the tires up so they don't have a chance to grab, but gather heat. I used to have to do that with a slick setup on another car.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

SL65
Originally Posted by the head
Good info in here and congrats on the runs. I'm just curious if anyone has tried doing a second gear burnout to spin the tires up so they don't have a chance to grab, but gather heat. I used to have to do that with a slick setup on another car.
Thank you!

Yes, well I tried and it worked half the time lol. It seems like at least to me, if you don't get the revs up high enough in 1st before shifting into second, even though there's a ton of torque at 3000rpm the car will bog due to ESP pulling timing?

2nd gear burnouts are the norm for the rest of the world but I need more time figuring it out in the SL lol. So much to remember before making a pass, whatever happened to kick, pull, bang, screech?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Banned

SL65
Hey another quick question for the drag racers, I noticed the car was shifting into 4th right before the line (maybe 100-200') which definitely kills ET.

So my question is does anyone use manual mode? Would seem as if you hit the shifts you would run quicker and faster right?

Please let me know your thoughts guys!

Also redynoing tomorrow post ECU and TCU tuning (only change). Will be running the same Mobil 93 octane I ran on the dyno stock.

Here are my stock (with BMC filters) graphs:

Any predictions?

My C6 Z06 made 438rwhp SAE on 93 on the same dyno stock then 488rwhp SAE after a tune and cai.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
[quote=JHDavis;4528775

[I] "Yes the burnouts made me look like a moron no question about it. If I didn't get enough wheelspin going before hitting the brake to hold the car the engine would just bog. Track officials looked at me like I rode the bus lol. Never had this problem before, welcome to a MB TT V12 eh?" [/I]

Hey I couldn't agree with you more about the burn outs. I was having the same problem with trying to keep them spinning and braking at the same time, and that was with street tires. I was wondering if just staying in the water and getting them spinning to a much higher speed maybe when I spun up to dryer pavement they would get a little hotter without just stopping right away. But then again I don't know how the axles would like that, especially with sticky tires.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

SL65
[quote=RaceHorse;4530763]
Originally Posted by JHDavis;4528775

[I
"Yes the burnouts made me look like a moron no question about it. If I didn't get enough wheelspin going before hitting the brake to hold the car the engine would just bog. Track officials looked at me like I rode the bus lol. Never had this problem before, welcome to a MB TT V12 eh?" [/i]

Hey I couldn't agree with you more about the burn outs. I was having the same problem with trying to keep them spinning and braking at the same time, and that was with street tires. I was wondering if just staying in the water and getting them spinning to a much higher speed maybe when I spun up to dryer pavement they would get a little hotter without just stopping right away. But then again I don't know how the axles would like that, especially with sticky tires.
Exactly!!! So annoying having the car fight you when trying to burn out. Good thinking on spinning harder out of the water box, that may be the solution or at least part of it. Nice suggestion!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Tune & DR Only SL65 MIR Results