SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Check engine, transmission, slow, HOT MESS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check engine, transmission, slow, HOT MESS!

I've got a 2005 SL55 and something major is wrong... the check engine light would come and go periodically, especially after not driving it for a few days and the transmission would be stuck on one gear and that gear feels really slow (not a normal first gear). Before the randomness of this, it would happen only when I was in manual mode and would push the engine hard. Now the check engine light won't turn off and it's pretty much stuck in that slow speed and in one gear. It also makes this high pitched sound at a certain RPM.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? If you could recommend a mechanic familiar with our cars in Southern California that could diagnose this, that would be really appreciated too.

Thank you
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 AM

Anybody
Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
for something so serious wouldnt the best bet be to take it to a dealer or ring one straight away rather than wait on a forum for an answer??
Old 02-23-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick1975
for something so serious wouldnt the best bet be to take it to a dealer or ring one straight away rather than wait on a forum for an answer??
Have an appointment tomorrow at 11am, but thought I'd get some ideas so that I can go with a little knowledge. It would not only help me, but others who use these forums to search for answers. I found on other threads and forums that people have experienced this when the following went wrong: valves were sticking in the transmission valve body assembly, transmission fluid leak out, valve body electrical unit fault, or transmission control unit was faulty. We'll see what they say tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
When you try to move forward, does it feel like it's starting out in 3rd or 4th gear? Is the tranny slow to engage or disengage drive/reverse?

This sounds like limp mode and would happen to me at the track every once in a while. Try disconnecting the rear battery for an hour or so.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
When you try to move forward, does it feel like it's starting out in 3rd or 4th gear? Is the tranny slow to engage or disengage drive/reverse?

This sounds like limp mode and would happen to me at the track every once in a while. Try disconnecting the rear battery for an hour or so.
It does feel like it's starting out in 3rd or 4th gear - and it stays in that same gear. When I put it in drive, it kicks hard.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DoctorJeff
It does feel like it's starting out in 3rd or 4th gear - and it stays in that same gear. When I put it in drive, it kicks hard.
So, a couple of times at the track, I'd get this same phenomena after doing a burnout. When I scanned the code, it came back with "incorrect gear ratio", and threw a TCU fault. The car would be stuck in 3rd gear, and would be very unresponsive switching from Reverse to Drive, etc...

I would clear the code, and unhook the rear battery, and all was well with the world. Goes into a sort of "limp mode"

Gonna sound weird, but do you have OEM sized wheels and tires? The reason I ask is, if the overall wheel and tire diameter is off from front to back, or not what the computer is expecting, it can do really weird stuff.

Sounds like you have an appt at the dealer, so as soon as they hook it to SDS, it should be pretty straight forward what the problem is.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Trending Topics

Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
I had the EXACT same problem almost 2 weeks ago. car was stuck on 2nd gear. Put the car from P to R or D, and the car just kicks real hard and i was experiencing power loss. Took the car to the dealer, it was some electronic fault. took them just a few hours to the fix the problem, and its back to normal now.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys - car is back to normal, shifting perfectly. I was told the car was "puking" transmission fluid and the electric unit kit/speed control and transmission filter had to be changed. Also, unrelated to this issue, found the control arm bushings were broken and had those replaced.

I got extremely lucky finding this service center that took care of the issues - I was very worried being out of warranty with an issue like this but the owner of this shop does the service himself and knows these cars very well. The place I took it to is called The Mercedes Center in Van Nuys (www.themercedescenter.com) and the owner's name is Vatche. I haven't dealt with anybody in this industry that is as ethical as him - the guy raised the car and showed me all the problems, then text message and emailed me pictures of the parts as they were removed to be replaced, and pricing is very reasonable (everything was diagnosed and price agreed to before he proceeded with the job). There were a few minor things that he fixed along the way at no extra charge either. I'd highly recommend them if you are in the Los Angeles area and need something done outside of warranty.

Have a great weekend
Old 02-26-2011, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the feedback guys - car is back to normal, shifting perfectly. I was told the car was "puking" transmission fluid and the electric unit kit/speed control and transmission filter had to be changed. Also, unrelated to this issue, found the control arm bushings were broken and had those replaced.

I got extremely lucky finding this service center that took care of the issues - I was very worried being out of warranty with an issue like this but the owner of this shop does the service himself and knows these cars very well. The place I took it to is called The Mercedes Center in Van Nuys (www.themercedescenter.com) and the owner's name is Vatche. I haven't dealt with anybody in this industry that is as ethical as him - the guy raised the car and showed me all the problems, then text message and emailed me pictures of the parts as they were removed to be replaced, and pricing is very reasonable (everything was diagnosed and price agreed to before he proceeded with the job). There were a few minor things that he fixed along the way at no extra charge either. I'd highly recommend them if you are in the Los Angeles area and need something done outside of warranty.

Have a great weekend

Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Sounds like it may have had the infamous leaking trans connector. When it starts leaking, ATF will wick up the wiring harness all the way to the TCU, which sits in the passenger side footwell. If left unattended, it can harm the TCU.

Is that what happened to yours? Are you referring to the TCU when you say "electric unit kit/speed control"?

When I pulled my TCU to get it tuned, I found a tiny amount of ATF on the outside of it. Sure enough, I had a leaking trans connector. Mine didn't exhibit any problems, and it was only a minor leak, thank goodness.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Sounds like it may have had the infamous leaking trans connector. When it starts leaking, ATF will wick up the wiring harness all the way to the TCU, which sits in the passenger side footwell. If left unattended, it can harm the TCU.

Is that what happened to yours? Are you referring to the TCU when you say "electric unit kit/speed control"?

When I pulled my TCU to get it tuned, I found a tiny amount of ATF on the outside of it. Sure enough, I had a leaking trans connector. Mine didn't exhibit any problems, and it was only a minor leak, thank goodness.
Thank you! I'm 99% sure that is precisely what it was it because he did go in through the passenger side footwell and the electronic control module/TCU is what he mentioned. So glad it was a relatively minor issue.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 218 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
Thank you! I'm 99% sure that is precisely what it was it because he did go in through the passenger side footwell and the electronic control module/TCU is what he mentioned. So glad it was a relatively minor issue.

Yeah guys. For the record, the trans connector is something we all know to check and replace on any Mercedes. I'm surprised you were able to buy the car (assuming used) with no one having pointed that out as a notorious problem. But the Q&A here is instructive as to how the car will act if it gets it panties in a bunch over it.

Thanks.

maw
Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
Convertible

Hello I was looking on web bc this weekend my top became very very slow to open..It is so slow it is like hitting pause..I figured the heat since it was 103 yesterday could of had an effect. I have an sl55 2003 the model that breaks down..I have been lucky for most part ..Is this a power shortage or does this top have fluids that need to be checked
Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by mathew2012
Hello I was looking on web bc this weekend my top became very very slow to open..It is so slow it is like hitting pause..I figured the heat since it was 103 yesterday could of had an effect. I have an sl55 2003 the model that breaks down..I have been lucky for most part ..Is this a power shortage or does this top have fluids that need to be checked
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, the roof system in our cars is hydraulic.

I've not experienced the slow motion that you've described. Hope you have good luck sorting it out!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM

SL55
Sounds like a hydraulic leak, these cars are notoriouse for the front roof lock cylinder to leak... mine exhibited the same symtoms and I had to replace the cylinder assembley...
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Originally Posted by mptolomey
Sounds like a hydraulic leak, these cars are notoriouse for the front roof lock cylinder to leak... mine exhibited the same symtoms and I had to replace the cylinder assembley...
someone get this man a dictionary, stat!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 AM

sl55
Originally Posted by mptolomey

Thank you all for your responces.. I am sure it is real cheap to fix! I am being sarcastic because nothing in this car is cheap..
Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM

SL55
That's what I get for PUI... a long day on the water....
Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM

SL55
If memory serves me correctly, I believe the part was around $300… Now installation will be $$$ as the lines are removed at the pump assembly in the trunk. It took me most of the day to do the R & R myself.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:50 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by SL55K
I had the EXACT same problem almost 2 weeks ago. car was stuck on 2nd gear. Put the car from P to R or D, and the car just kicks real hard and i was experiencing power loss. Took the car to the dealer, it was some electronic fault. took them just a few hours to the fix the problem, and it’s back to normal now.
what was the fault ? Thanks
Old 05-28-2023, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts
95 SL600
He hasn’t been in here for 5 years or so, this is a 12 year old thread.