SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Doing the right thing sucks sometimes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Doing the right thing sucks sometimes

All thats running though my head the past day and onto today is the words "Stop! Stop! Stop!" As I yelled them.
Here's the story, Thursday night, I head out to dinner and drinks with my lady, my brother and my brother's girl. I valet the my car at the bar/restaurant. After dinner we all start having drinks. We decide to take a taxi to another bar to cut loose and maybe play some shuffle board. After a while, some more friends show up and it makes for a good night. Beers, shots, more beers. By the end of the night, I new I had to much to drink so I call this designated driving service that takes you and your car home at the same time.

I cab it back to my car with my lady. The DD driving service shows up. My lady is friends with the guy who runs the service so she hops in his car, and I hop in my SL with the DD. He puts it in drive and before he even hits the gas I'm yelling "Stop! Stop! Stop!" He doesn't stop and puts my rim right into the curb. In fact the curb stopped us. I hope out and use my cell phone as a flashlight and sure enough my 20" HRE is all jacked up. I just kind of walked away to be by myself.

My lady takes over, By saying " You guys have know idea how much those wheels cost?" They reply "I think you can buff that out?" I come back from my walk across the parking lot and say "there is no way in Hell that can be "buffed out." Then the other great one was. "You should contact the Bar, looks like a lot of people hit that curb." At this point I kinda drunk so I thought it would be best if I just shut up, before get any more upset.

I hop back in my SL and on the ride home the guy kept talking to me about it, but I was pretending to be asleep so maybe he would stop taking and just get me the F home.

I just washed my car up today for a show and shine out at Speedworld Dragstrip with the guys from Dyno-Comp. I must have looked at my wheel for 20 minutes.. Hearing myself say "Stop! Stop! Stop!" I may have been drunk, but even I knew you couldn't take the turn out of the parking space that sharp when you are right *** next to a huge curb. In fact even being drunk I could have pulled the car out of the space and still not hit the curb.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Hooley...are they going to cover the cost for a new wheel or repair?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Damn Mike, it sucks when bad things happen to one of the good guys. Things could've been a lot worse, had you gotten behind the wheel though.

Contact user B. Gorman on here for repair. By all accounts, he does great work and has great pricing.

Feel for ya, bro.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 sl55
they must have been drunk too

No offense but those are not surface scratches . They should have insurance for things like that. Sounds like they do a great service but they are liable IHO. If they refuse then get it fixed and take them to small claims court.
Good Luck

PS shuffle board ? Did I miss this as the latest trend?? (Smile)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
If it makes you feel any better at all, just come drive SOBER in Atlanta for an hour or so. and ALL four wheels will look like that driving straight down the road. Our roads are so bad, and what passes for road repair around here is a large steel plate. There are thousands of them on Atlanta roads. I had to send one of my F430 HRE wheel into HRE for a new barrel just yesterday. No curbs, just a drive on our lovely roads.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
An easy thing to do.I have done it. One of my renntechs has a nick in it. Hard to keep any car perfect if you drive it. Fix it and go on. I would not lose a friend or make an enemy over a wheel.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Crap happens. They do a good service. and I will continue to use them. It just bothers me a little, when I tried so hard to take care of these wheels. I don't go through drive though. I always go in. I air dry my rims with a pump after washes. after I got a dog 5 years ago, I gave up on having a nice yard, so the car is my little space i like to keep as nice as I can. I'm just happy we have a wheel tech at Dyno-Comp that is very familiar with assembling 3 piece wheels and has all the equipment to make sure the fix turns out perfect. Looks like I'll be making a call to HRE Monday. I'm sure the guys at the DD service will work something out for me, they are good guys.

In the end it might come down to learning how to drive a nice car. If some one doesnt drive one, they dont know how to treat one. Meaning, going crazy slow over speed bumps at a slight angle. Dodge all pot holes. Don't go through drive though windows. Don't go through car washes, hand wash only. Don't try to fit your car in a small parking space. Those sort of things. If I was driving my pickup truck. I wouldn't care about a lot of those things. So maybe for people that drive a normal car every day they don't really think about that stuff.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt
If I were you I would at least ask them to cover half the expense for repair - they woudlobviosuly have a policy on damage done by their drivers - do you know what it is?