SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New SL55 owner with warranty question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55
New SL55 owner with warranty question

I just recently bought a 2004 SL55 with 11,000 miles. Ive read that these cars can be a tough on the pocket book when it comes to repairs and Im considering a warranty, but since the miles are low Im wondering if its worth it.

I live in SW Pa and given the climate the car will probably be in storage for at least 3 to 4 months a year, plus its not going to be a daily driver when its out of storage. Im anticipating driving it around 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year maximum.

However Im reading where you can spend major $$$ in repairs and these cars seem to break quite a bit.

Also Ive been reading where people a sinking as much as 10K/yr into repairs. I m new to the MB brand and I know MBs are pricey, but what could go wrong to warrant such high repair bills?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Dodge Viper, 2006 SL55
I don't think that mileage is a factor in determining whether or not to get an extended warranty. When I purchased my '06 SL55 four years ago, it was still under factory warranty and my thinking was everything that could go wrong would go wrong within the 3-year window left on the warranty. About a month prior to it expiring, I purchased an extended warranty just in case. I am not the type of person that buys that sort of stuff but from reading other forum members' problems, I purchased it. Guess what?, I had to use it last month. Total cost was $4200, which exceeded the cost of the extended warranty. If this were a Japanese car, I wouldn't even bother recommending an extended warranty but these SLs are very pricey to repair and not the most reliable IMO, but that is the price we pay to drive one of these.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:59 PM
nir

2008 s63
Agreed - They are expensive to maintain, and you should buy a warranty, soon because come December 31, you lose the opportunity to be insured with a good company and b2B, as most have a max of 7 years to insure bumper to bumper.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:13 PM

SL65
Get a warranty. You'll enjoy the car more because you'll worry less. I've been down the road with expensive cars and 'surprises' can water your eyes. Get the warranty.........

Best wishes......
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM

2004 SL55
Thanks for your replies.

Now where do I start? What are some reputable companies that everyone here uses?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 PM

SL65
My car came with a MBZ warranty, but (following my own advice) I bought an additional warranty from Bruce Mendel (sp?) who represents, among others, NAC, or National Auto Care.

I don't have Bruce's info handy, but if you do a search here you'll find it....along with glowing recommendations from other members.

Congratulations on your purchase. I've owned a lot of high end cars and I must say....the SL55 seems to be the best of both worlds.

P.S. I have no connection with Bruce or NAC other than customer.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 PM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by migg48
My car came with a MBZ warranty, but (following my own advice) I bought an additional warranty from Bruce Mendel (sp?) who represents, among others, NAC, or National Auto Care.

I don't have Bruce's info handy, but if you do a search here you'll find it....along with glowing recommendations from other members.

Congratulations on your purchase. I've owned a lot of high end cars and I must say....the SL55 seems to be the best of both worlds.

P.S. I have no connection with Bruce or NAC other than customer.
Thanks. Ill be searching a lot as I should get this wrapped up by year end according to NIR. I'll definitely check out Bruce and NAC.

And I agree about the SL. The car was actually my wifes idea. Shes always been a fan of the SL series and I am an American V8 kind of guy myself. Out of sheer ignorance, I always thought of MB as strictly a luxury brand and wasn't fully aware of their performance side, until I started researching the SL55's and SL600's.

We found our SL55 locally 3 weeks ago and Ive never looked back. The car is an amazing blend of what we both like: the luxury of MB with all of the torque, power and deep V8 grumble that I crave. My only wish would be for a manual transmission...but then my wife wouldn't be able to drive it...but maybe thats a good thing
Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM
nir

2008 s63
We had to go to another after market warranty (the mechanic) that i will be testing this week), since my car did not qualify. I will let you know how they perform. Bruce Mendel could not help me with coverage because of the 7 years, but he was very responsive. He does fidelity(platinum) and NAC (pinacle) i beleive. his info is Bruce Mendel <brucem105@comcast.net>. I also got quote from Diana - B & T Marketing <diana@bntmarketing.com>., but because of the 7 years, she could not provide info. She was great at sending me the actual contract i would be buying, which i highly recommend. Our "Mechanic warranty" cost $3,792 platinum plan, covers for 36 months or 36000 miles. you can brek out payments interest free with all the warranties. Good luck and im me if you need the contact info for the insurer i bought warranty from. I did 6 months of research before we bought ours. Yours should be cheaper because of miles and year.

Last edited by nir; 10-05-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM

2005 SL 55
so what did you guys wind up doing? Who did you go with and how much.