SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: How fast do you go 55SL owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 55 AMG 2003
How fast do you go 55SL owners?

I was wondering , since in the states going too fast could mean jail time and loosing your car this means that there really isn't any sense getting a SL 55
I mean what's the sense in looking at food when your hungry and cant touch it?
In Europe you get a ticket in
Most countries. This means you can buy your freedom in life basically and that most European governments like ****** have no principals and can be bought ( free drugs and prostitution as long as you pay taxes) prostitutes who pay taxes
Anyways I was just curiouse , I drive my SL 55 fast. I knew what the car could do, i bought it for that reason. I drive it fast daily. Now i dont do any crazy stuff in city that would endagoure kids of anything but the freeway is mine
The totall rush every single time!
Share your thoughts, how fast do you go? And if you dont then Please explain why you bought the car at all?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
There is no point to having these cars unless you go fast!

My motto is a day under 100, is like a day without sunshine!

One of the reason I founded Veloce Performance was to get rid of the speed limiter on the SL55. btw...... If you are derestricted, your SL55 will do 202mph!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
As fast as possible
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 AM

SL 55 AMG 2003
I love these guys
But no sounds from anyone else yet who doesn't think one should break the speed-limit with the 55
I know they exist. Go to Monte Carlo. You see old farts driving a 500 000 dollar car that you could run faster.
Ive seen them in the Netherlands all the time. you would expect a country next to Germany to allow you to go faster than 120 km /hour.
its 80 - 100 and 120 everywhere . They had this big debate weather to tune that up to 130 km / hour. The law just made it after a year of negotiations. You believe this? its a joke. I think the parliamentarians just finally made that law so they can escape faster when the euro collapses.
thanks a lot. 130 ! thats 10 km more I do about 200-250 every day. (km/hour)
if you stay under the 50 km too fast rule then they cant take your licence.
you just need to watch your rear view. watching cops all the time is actually what leads to most accidents. and not only the cops , we have these camera everywhere that take expensive pics from your tail
but the good thing is, you also only get €30 extra ticket if you ignore a stop sign.( the sign itself, not doing crazy stuff) so i get way 9/10 times. when they give me a stop i usually turn in the nearest street and then just hit the kick-down. Im long gone buy the time they turn. now that's turning something negative into something positive in your life al Laughing my as off. i love this car
Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
i think the fun is not how fast can you go, but how fast can you get to (slightly above) the speed limit

besides, there are roads where the conditions and knowledge of the landscape allows you to go pretty fast without really risking of getting pulled over.

and lastly there are race tracks. sign up for a track day and take your amg to the track. you will appreciate you car so much more and will learn a thing or two in a fairly safe environment. despite being a little porky all amgs work really well on the track and deliver the grins if not being particularly fast or competitive.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM

SL 55 AMG 2003
Originally Posted by alx
i think the fun is not how fast can you go, but how fast can you get to (slightly above) the speed limit

besides, there are roads where the conditions and knowledge of the landscape allows you to go pretty fast without really risking of getting pulled over.

and lastly there are race tracks. sign up for a track day and take your amg to the track. you will appreciate you car so much more and will learn a thing or two in a fairly safe environment. despite being a little porky all amgs work really well on the track and deliver the grins if not being particularly fast or competitive.

now that would be OK if everybody knew how to drive. Since many don't ( specially Porsche drivers who are not used to the weight of back engine yet ) if they crash in your AMG = NO insurance. Race track= your won risk
no matter how well you drive.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I pretty much employ alx's method of having some fun. There are lots of good freeway on ramps that allow for nearly 0 to 80 runs. I then quickly brake back down to freeway speeds. I also like to roll up on the ramp more slowly , look over to see someone in the lane I will be entering next to me, then mashing the throttle and enter the freeway multiple car lengths ahead of them.

Another great place for fun are the many local drag strips. Nobody seems to respect the SL until they see the high 11 flashing on the board at the conclusion of the 1/4 mile run. I used to go to a track in the middle of the Indiana corn fields. It wasn't uncommon for me to be the only non-American iron out there. I never got any respect until after walking a few vettes or GTOs or whatever. Most of the cars were running high 12s and 13s which is very respectable.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 55rider
now that would be OK if everybody knew how to drive. Since many don't ( specially Porsche drivers who are not used to the weight of back engine yet ) if they crash in your AMG = NO insurance. Race track= your won risk
no matter how well you drive.
a novice class track day is fairly safe. no passing is allowed unless signaled so and you ride with an instructor.

crashes during novice track days are very rare. ending in the kitty litter is about as bad as it gets.

i would go 120 on the racetrack rather than 120 on the highway any day of the week.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM

a few cars, few bikes,04 SL55
As fast as I can without getting nail
Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
My friends , You are not talking about the
Nurbergring. Ive been there with M3 ( hate BMW now) i saw 6 or 7 crashes totall loss, 2 caught fire . One idiot on à bike broke his back And just for no reason some 85 year old **** took my mirror of with his Peugeot 206. I still cant understand what the **** he was doing there that day.
No rules. Pros novice, old ****s in peugeots and Bikers on the same track and im sorry to have to say this, Woman too !
watch out for my next posting if you like racing. i bet this is gonna cause a discuussion

Last edited by 55rider; 12-06-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Choose a smaller track which is more regulated. The ring is an unregulated zoo.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I love these guys
But no sounds from anyone else yet who doesn't think one should break the speed-limit with the 55
I know they exist. Go to Monte Carlo. You see old farts driving a 500 000 dollar car that you could run faster.
Ive seen them in the Netherlands all the time. you would expect a country next to Germany to allow you to go faster than 120 km /hour.
its 80 - 100 and 120 everywhere . They had this big debate weather to tune that up to 130 km / hour. The law just made it after a year of negotiations. You believe this? its a joke. I think the parliamentarians just finally made that law so they can escape faster when the euro collapses.
thanks a lot. 130 ! thats 10 km more I do about 200-250 every day. (km/hour)
if you stay under the 50 km too fast rule then they cant take your licence.
you just need to watch your rear view. watching cops all the time is actually what leads to most accidents. and not only the cops , we have these camera everywhere that take expensive pics from your tail
but the good thing is, you also only get €30 extra ticket if you ignore a stop sign.( the sign itself, not doing crazy stuff) so i get way 9/10 times. when they give me a stop i usually turn in the nearest street and then just hit the kick-down. Im long gone buy the time they turn. now that's turning something negative into something positive in your life al Laughing my as off. i love this car
I remember when driving in Europe was actually fun, and half the reason I went there. But it seems that the social engineering communist politicians that have overspent other people's money that they have been entrusted with are doing what they do in the US. Raise revenue any possible way they can.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - they let some women on that track. One is called Sabine Schmitz

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ring-taxi-duty

Nurbergring. Ive been there with M3 ( hate BMW now) i saw 6 or 7 crashes totall loss, 2 caught fire . One idiot on à bike broke his back And just for no reason some 85 year old **** took my mirror of with his Peugeot 206. I still cant understand what the **** he was doing there that day.
No rules. Pros novice, old ****s in peugeots and Bikers on the same track and im sorry to have to say this, Woman too !
watch out for my next posting if you like racing. i bet this is gonna cause a discuussion
Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 PM

BMW
There is no point to having these cars unless you go fast!

My motto is a day under 100, is like a day without sunshine!

One of the reason I founded Veloce Performance was to get rid of the speed limiter on the SL55. btw...... If you are derestricted, your SL55 will do 202mph!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM

2004 SL55
Ive had my SL 55 about 3 months and driven it about 700 miles. The fastest Ive been is 120. Although Im sure I will go faster eventually, it really isnt that important to me. Living in SW Pa there aren't many wide open and flat spaces to safely go much faster.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 AM

SL 55 AMG 2003
I would say that s lot of the rush has to do with accaliration speed, not top spead. One of the things that ennoys me is when people see my 55 and ask "how fast does it go?" instead of being more interested in the 0-100 (0-60mph) stats
Traffic prevents bothe
Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
Take the car to the limit at times here, ofcourse here in the middle-east we do have heavy fines, some fines above ($400) and/or impounding of your car for a night or two. But we do have a couple of roads that lead to the desert, cold nights supercharger screaming = hell lot of fun.
We do have the Formula 1 track here to rip our cars apart, SL55 in my opinion is more of a autobahn missile. Even with the traction on, on the F1 track the car still manages to slip at high turns, and when the traction is off its just going sideways. But the car does manage fly once i hit the straights! And my brakes are from Evosport, much much better than the standard AMG rotors i had
Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
Cool! What country are you in ?
Can you post a pic of your Evosport brakes for us to see?
Could you tell a bit more about the brakes? why do you think they are much better than the standard AMG ? In what way?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
For me it is about flying around people when I feel like it or deciding that the person riding my bumper should not be able to read my license plate. And there is the occasional stop light on the way to my girlfriend's house that has something approaching a quarter mile of flat road on the other side that leades to a long, winding uphill. If conditions are right I will bury the pedal in the carpet at the green light and let the 55 roar until I hit the base of the hill at about 100 and then coast up for a little as cops someties wait half way up the hill when most people are speeding on by.

Z
Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
I regularly hit peak speeds of 145-155 mph. Bear in mind then these are peak speed and only last a few seconds. The roads here are not that smooth and there are few very long straights where you can see far enough ahead to be able to maintain such speeds with confidence. Call me cautious, but I don't take blind curves or hills at high speed if I can't see whether there will be a car, pothole, cop, etc. on the other side. Even at those speeds, the car is still pulling hard and asking for more.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
Call me cautious, but I don't take blind curves or hills at high speed if I can't see whether there will be a car, pothole, cop, etc. on the other side. Even at those speeds, the car is still pulling hard and asking for more.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%
Going in corners you can't see at high speed is stupid suicide and had nothing to do with being a good racer
Old 12-07-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55

Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
Originally Posted by carlsturm
Yeah - they let some women on that track. One is called Sabine Schmitz

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ring-taxi-duty

Im more of a Senna fan
Hè would have hated the 55, loved woman on the race track as long as they would hold up à sign in bikini
I love woman just keep them off race tracks
Old 12-08-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
Cool! What country are you in ?
Can you post a pic of your Evosport brakes for us to see?
Could you tell a bit more about the brakes? why do you think they are much better than the standard AMG ? In what way?
Im from Bahrain! Stabbed right in the center of the middle east hahaha

I have a couple of pics before installing them on, I'll post them right away. Well the brakes are drilled and slotted, the braking is better than the standard AMG's (and they are way cheaper than the AMG brakes). Much larger too (Front: 360mm / 14.2 inches) (Back: 330mm / 13 inches)
The reason I had changed the brakes at first were because my standard AMG rotars started to crack, I contacted Simon @ Evosport and he had helped me out select the perfect rotors. I took the drilled and slotted one. The braking of the Evosport brakes are somewhat as good as my 575M Maranello's braking but theres just one small problem, the pads ware off fast after hard usage! (what slotted brakes usually tend to do) The evosport brakes were just an add on, I am using my standard calipers and use the same brake pads, so that was a big help.

These are two pictures, front and back

Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Thought I would update my new top speeds after doing this years Gumball 3000. Our GPS verified top speed was 172 mph on a long flat straight piece of highway between Santa Fe and Las Vegas. We were running with some friends in an SLS and 458. The car speedometer was indicating close to 180. High speeds of between 150 and 165 were sustained on that run for several minutes as there was no traffic and we maintain distance between cars. It was definitely one of the more exciting drives I've ever done to say the least. The day before was the longest of the rally and we drove from Kansas City to Santa Fe. The roads were so good and devoid of traffic that there were times we wouldn't go below 100 mph for up to an hour and would be cruising in a group of around 10 cars all lined up at a steady 120-140 mph only slowing down to about 100 mph when passing slower cars in the left lane. There was never any weaving through traffic and our group took turns between leading the pack, hanging in the middle, and bringing up the tail end. Fast but safe driving

Last edited by sbenus; 08-22-2012 at 02:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: How fast do you go 55SL owners?