SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Turbo Size's and Make question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modded CL65
Turbo Size's and Make question?

Hey does anyone off the top of there head remeber if what the sizing of the 65 turbos are and the make? I cant find the information off hand at the moment but if I remember right I was thinking they are a 25mm garret intergal turbos? Is that correct? Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by Malones Perf.
Hey does anyone off the top of there head remeber if what the sizing of the 65 turbos are and the make? I cant find the information off hand at the moment but if I remember right I was thinking they are a 25mm garret intergal turbos? Is that correct? Thanks
Those are Borg-Wagner K24 turbochargers.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned

Modded CL65
Originally Posted by DCMETRO22Z
Those are Borg-Wagner K24 turbochargers.

Thanks for your help and info!! Are you sure that is correct information? I am looking at upgrading the existing turbo's and there sould be alot of options out there for the kkk turbos as the porsche's run the K24's. Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM

E320
Originally Posted by Malones Perf.
Thanks for your help and info!! Are you sure that is correct information? I am looking at upgrading the existing turbo's and there sould be alot of options out there for the kkk turbos as the porsche's run the K24's. Thanks again!

Yeah I' sure
Speedriven offers a package with upgraded turbos.

There are 3 companies wich can upgrade your turbochargers.

MKB : Overpriced European Crap

Brabus : Overpriced European Crap

Speedriven : Great Company http://tuningbible.com/?page_id=1158
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Yeah I' sure

^^^^^^^^ on point as usual
Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SL65 R230
Yeah I' sure

@Professor DC Metro22Z

I don't write often here in the American Forum, but if I read such a bull**** I can't resist. MKB and Brabus is overpriced, correct. But its tested Quality and you can drive without any problems pedal to the metal on sustained rides on the German Autobahn! Not only for Cruisin or Quarter Mile like in the US. Everyone can install bigger Turbos, but only a few can make it last on the German Autobahn. And the testing is expensive. Speeddrivens package will NOT last here in Germany at least not in the SL600. I know some secrets you don't know but will not tell them because you write such bull**** like 'European Crap'.I would recommend to try it with Speeddriven and wish you good luck or even better change to a US-Car if you think Europeans build crap...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM

E320
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
@Professor DC Metro22Z

I don't write often here in the American Forum, but if I read such a bull**** I can't resist. MKB and Brabus is overpriced, correct. But its tested Quality and you can drive without any problems pedal to the metal on sustained rides on the German Autobahn! Not only for Cruisin or Quarter Mile like in the US. Everyone can install bigger Turbos, but only a few can make it last on the German Autobahn. And the testing is expensive. Speeddrivens package will NOT last here in Germany at least not in the SL600. I know some secrets you don't know but will not tell them because you write such bull**** like 'European Crap'.I would recommend to try it with Speeddriven and wish you good luck or even better change to a US-Car if you think Europeans build crap...
May I ask what makes you think Speedriven products are'nt suited for Highway use ?

Concerning the SL600, brabus offers 4 kits,

T13, 6.3; 6.3S ; 6.3R

Each one is overpriced and do not offer a single Intercooling upgrade, wich is the first thing to care when you modify the Benz V12TT.

Speedriven will offer you the power of the 6.3r kit for half of the price of T13 kit.

The only cars fitted with brabus expensive products I've seen are in Middle east or Russia, People who spend their money without caring for efficiency.

Americans are experts at buying things. If they don't buy brabus products it's simply because that is some overpriced crap.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

SL65 R230
American's maybe experts in buying things for the american market.My SL600 was tuned by another German Quality Tuner, not MKB or Brabus. He has excellent connections to MB and AMG Factory Engine development.He knows how far you can go without changing engine internals of the M275, to stay safe and reliable in the longrun and even on the German Autobahn. From what I see Speeddriven does not know this. This is the difference of German Quality Tuning and American Tuning. By the way, every serious German Tuner offers Intercooler Upgrades for the M275, although they do not mention it on their websites. Some clients in Europe want their engine look like stock, mainly for warranty reasons.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 PM

E320
American's maybe experts in buying things for the american market.My SL600 was tuned by another German Quality Tuner, not MKB or Brabus. He has excellent connections to MB and AMG Factory Engine development.He knows how far you can go without changing engine internals of the M275, to stay safe and reliable in the longrun and even on the German Autobahn. From what I see Speeddriven does not know this. This is the difference of German Quality Tuning and American Tuning. By the way, every serious German Tuner offers Intercooler Upgrades for the M275, although they do not mention it on their websites. Some clients in Europe want their engine look like stock, mainly for warranty reasons.
Can you post pictures of your car ?

What has been done exactly and by who ? Carlsson ? VÄth ?

Don't feel offended by my words. I'm happy to have a technical debate with you.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Strong words from someone that doesn't know what info I acually have. Little info you might not know. Well actually DO NOT know for sure is couple months ago we sent our billet turbo kit along with intercooler to the middle east to install on a car that had the brabus storker motor, that apparently had loads of R&D done to ended up throwing a rod out the side of the block. So long story short they put in a stock 600 motor in its place, put our parts on it and made more to the tire than the Brabus motor made at the crank. AND IT STILL HAS NOT BLOWN UP.

I have taken these motors apart, gone through them and maybe we here in America see things differently, but I do not see a reason to go with any internals until we exceed the 1000whp mark
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM

E320
Originally Posted by Speedriven
Strong words from someone that doesn't know what info I acually have. Little info you might not know. Well actually DO NOT know for sure is couple months ago we sent our billet turbo kit along with intercooler to the middle east to install on a car that had the brabus storker motor, that apparently had loads of R&D done to ended up throwing a rod out the side of the block. So long story short they put in a stock 600 motor in its place, put our parts on it and made more to the tire than the Brabus motor made at the crank. AND IT STILL HAS NOT BLOWN UP.

I have taken these motors apart, gone through them and maybe we here in America see things differently, but I do not see a reason to go with any internals until we exceed the 1000whp mark
Ahahahahah the story tells everything...

Speeddriven for the win...
Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Ahahahahah the story tells everything...

Speeddriven for the win...
+1...The man has spoken.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 156 Posts
SL55, S500
AHA this thread.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Here's a SECRET for ya lol.....

@Professor DC Metro22Z

Hmm what were you saying about Brabus being end all great yack, yack... This guy just completed the whole Enchilada of Brabus mods to 06' SL65 & well read on.. (full thread here)
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ed-killer.html

Originally Posted by khalifa61
transmission speed sensor failed already!!!!! let the break downs begin 1900$
Originally Posted by khalifa61
i have finnaly bought the sl65 that i was askin about the engine before and all i can say is its FAST!!!!! it has a t6.5s engine conversion plus a cat delete,and another ecu remap reaching almost 800hp that means wheel spin at 130kms/h.

here is a vid of my sl63 running against the brabus.bad quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVGmPNemLNE
upto 220kms/h

more pics soon
Doesn't look like much vs N/A SL63 curb weight is 4600-4700 higher than reg SL65 or 600 by few 100 lbs (they sound nice but that's it, SL63 is a high to @ best mid 12 second 1/4 mile auto, @ about 110-112 mph)

SPEEDRIVEN for the "W"

Last edited by Thericker; 02-07-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 AM

SL65 R230
@all

It is not my job here to speak for every single tuning company in Germany.
I know that I have chosen one of the Best of the WHOLE Market. I am very satisfied and I have Zero problems and my car has seen over 200 MPH quite often.

Some Companies here in Germany are also better than the other. I am not a fan of Brabus, because they are really overpriced. I would never have chosen them for my car. But if they get enough Clients from different markets it is o.k. for me. I can live with that.

@Speeddriven

I don't know your company in detail, but I assume that the German Company AMG will NOT tell the real secrets to a little American Tuner because of many reasons. Even only 1 or maybe 2 Tuners in Germany have insight into the AMG Company. Some worked there before. These are good kept secrets.

That you handle 600 and 65 the same (upgradewise), shows me, that some secrets still have not reached the American Tuning Scene.

I wish you all the best, but don't underrate German Engineering. After all these phantastic cars were built and designed in Germany.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 AM

E320
@all

I know that I have chosen one of the Best of the WHOLE Market. I am very satisfied and I have Zero problems and my car has seen over 200 MPH quite often.

Some Companies here in Germany are also better than the other. I am not a fan of Brabus, because they are really overpriced. I would never have chosen them for my car. But if they get enough Clients from different markets it is o.k. for me. I can live with that.

@Speeddriven

I don't know your company in detail, but I assume that the German Company AMG will NOT tell the real secrets to a little American Tuner because of many reasons. Even only 1 or maybe 2 Tuners in Germany have insight into the AMG Company. Some worked there before. These are good kept secrets.

That you handle 600 and 65 the same (upgradewise), shows me, that some secrets still have not reached the American Tuning Scene.

I wish you all the best, but don't underrate German Engineering. After all these phantastic cars were built and designed in Germany.

The fact that your satisfied with your German ECU tuning has nothing to do with Speedriven

Speedriven is chasing the big numbers, transforming those MB cars into street monsters still retaining confort.

Those "Secrets' you are talking about are BS intended to make the customer swallow the bill.

Seriously, there are two things funny on this earth.

- Jim Carrey in " Me, Myself & Irene "

- A Brabus Pricelist.

Another exemple.

V12 Godspeed'car... A masterpiece of Mercedes Aftermarket engineering.

Brabus does a similar project and call it the MEGA EV12 TURBO ROCKET and sell it for a Half million dollars to Oil-heads and russian Mobsters.

Speedriven did a better job, without talking so loud.

Last edited by DCMETRO22Z; 02-08-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
@all

@Speeddriven

I will agree with you to some extent that I do not have full access for all the AMG info, but I have enough contacts to where I recieved the data that I needed to make my decisions as what we need to do with these cars.

We handle the 600 and the 65 in a similar manner because we do not believe that a customer should have to pay more for a tune on a 65 because he paid more for the car, like some tuners do. These is no reason that a 65 tune should cost more than a 600 tune. Both cars run same map structure, same eprom, same processor. You can even wipe the vin and swap ecus between the 2 cars.

There are 2 600s in the states and 1 in the middle east that we have hardware/tunes on that are making more hp to the tire than most tuners make at the crank. All are still runing stock internals. Maybe Mercedes built a better motor than they think
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
@all

@Speeddriven

AMG-Driver: Your posts are ignorant @ best, Marcin/Speedriven, should be given some respect... The man's EARNED IT..

@Professor DC Metro22Z

(I'm very impatient & been bugging Marcin to take my $$ for his latest upgraded Turbo kit for months) The man is STRAIGHT UP HONEST & anomaly in the Tuning World, (he wont take a red cent until everything is tested/scrutinized/Ad Nauseum..)

I've know plenty of disreputable Past/Present Tuners who'd NOT only taken my Deposit for said kit, they'd take 2 DOZEN more deposits for parts not even fabricated or in remote vicinity of Production faze parts, that are ready to actually SHIP..

I've bought very little from Speedriven & still been kept in the loop of ALL latest Dyno's/info/pictures/etc.. He is very busy, but will ALWAYS get back to you (I've definetly pestered the man & have huge respect for the way he handles it & more importantly his business acumen)

PS... The parts I have bought/used from Speedriven have worked flawlessly, my TCU tune in particular has been on the SL600 for over a year, zero problems (even going to Dealership for unrelated Warranty repairs didn't raise so much as an eyebrow w/Warranty Inspectors Speedriven keeps everything looking as OEM/STOCK as possible)

Last edited by Thericker; 02-08-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Originally Posted by Thericker
AMG-Driver: Your posts are ignorant @ best, Marcin/Speedriven, should be given some respect... The man's EARNED IT..

(I'm very impatient & been bugging Marcin to take my $$ for his latest upgraded Turbo kit for months) The man is STRAIGHT UP HONEST & anomaly in the Tuning World, (he wont take a red cent until everything is tested/scrutinized/Ad Nauseum..)

I've know plenty of disreputable Past/Present Tuners who'd NOT only taken my Deposit for said kit, they'd take 2 DOZEN more deposits for parts not even fabricated or in remote vicinity of Production faze parts, that are ready to actually SHIP..

I've bought very little from Speedriven & still been kept in the loop of ALL latest Dyno's/info/pictures/etc.. He is very busy, but will ALWAYS get back to you (I've definetly pestered the man & have huge respect for the way he handles it & more importantly his business acumen)

PS... The parts I have bought/used from Speedriven have worked flawlessly, my TCU tune in particular has been on the SL600 for over a year, zero problems (even going to Dealership for unrelated Warranty repairs didn't raise so much as an eyebrow w/Warranty Inspectors Speedriven keeps everything looking as OEM/STOCK as possible)
I must also meantion my case.... I send my (SL600) ECU and TCU for few weeks ago and he don't accept my payment before he had tune my boxes... and when that was done he gave me a signal that now everything is ready for shipping and after that I paid the work.
Today the ECU and TCU arraiwe Sweden..... with the new circulation pump... Yes he is busy but he have anser my questions every time...
Thank you Marcin!!!!

Juha
Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 AM

SL65 R230
@Thericker

I don't think my Posts are ignorant. I simply do not comment if one Tuner says the Engine of Tuner X has blown. I know this business for too long.

This always ends in "Dirty Talk".

I have not heard of any serious problems from the mentioned company, and even if there should have been a problem in a single circumstance, you have to carefully analyze what was the reason for it. There could be a lot of reasons, e.g. missing or too much oil (be careful with the oil-level-sensor)
or another part had a failure which has nothing to do with the tuning itself.

However, I have nothing against Marcin/Speeddriven, he seems to be a good guy and I wish him all the best with his company, as I said before.

But I know for sure, that here in Germany there are various MB-Tuners who know their business in depth and near perfection.

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 02-10-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 PM

N/A
@Thericker

I don't think my Posts are ignorant. I simply do not comment if one Tuner says the Engine of Tuner X has blown. I know this business for too long.

This always ends in "Dirty Talk".

I have not heard of any serious problems from the mentioned company, and even if there should have been a problem in a single circumstance, you have to carefully analyze what was the reason for it. There could be a lot of reasons, e.g. missing or too much oil (be careful with the oil-level-sensor)
or another part had a failure which has nothing to do with the tuning itself.

However, I have nothing against Marcin/Speeddriven, he seems to be a good guy and I wish him all the best with his company, as I said before.

But I know for sure, that here in Germany there are various MB-Tuners who know their business in depth and near perfection.
I know this is an older thread. Yet, the topic is "timeless", as there is
always new folks seeking what is "best" for their Benz.

To AMG-Driver: It's not so much that you're ignorant or not---
for we are all "ignorant" of something...no question.

So the real question becomes are you AWARE that you're speaking
from ignorance on a specific subject.

In this case, I believe your actions prove TheRicker correct in his
assessment of you. Why?

You cleary spoke in hippocricy, as in one breath you state that you
"know" what Marcin knows. Yet, in another, you state, you don't
know Marcin... HUH?

Do you realize how ignorant that is of you to state?

Also, how would you "know" the knowledge base of another human being?

Heck, even we don't know the extent of our own knowldege-reservoir, much less someone elses. So you're practicing ignorance for your statement of hippocricy.

Lastly, I don't think those in-the-know in U.S, thinks that there is no good quality German tuners---as you think we do. That's not the point that which you first commented on this thread.

I believe the point here is that FOR THE MONEY----vs performance
VALUE, that the "Brabus types" are not up to par with Speedriven.

Kind of like the comparison, if I go to Sizzlers Steakhouse and pay
$13.99 for a steak--it's good for what it is. But, if I get that same
steak at a Peter Lugars Steakhouse for $100; then...FOR THE MONEY,
my Lugar's expeience would be "Crap".

In closing, you still haven't posted up your Benz as requested from
another poster here. You still haven't shown what you "think" you know,
while Speedriven and her customers has that PROOF.

So the badge of "ignorant" stuck on you by TheRicker---is more
rightly so---than not.

-R
Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Steady on guys, no need to get so heavy with each other.
I don't know who makes the best tuning kits, but one thing is for sure,
they, Brabus, Carlsson , Kleeman, Rentech are all Veeeeery expensive.
I just fitted a Johnson pump and had a re map costing me around 500 quid,
Kleeman wanted 15000 dollars for this ( perhaps that included intercoolers)
also Brabus wanted 5 grand for just a re map.
So after a re map what next can I do to my 65, intercoolers
I doubt if I can get them in England, so recommends please, all things will
be considered.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Originally Posted by sound 8
be considered.
I'm gone order next Speedriven intercooler kit + HE exchanger + the IC pump + 200 Cell cats with new down pipes. I have already ask an offer. 10-12 working days and then they send the parts to me.
I have an SL600.

Juha
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by sound 8
be considered.
"Veeeeey expensive"---exactly. More important than that---low value.

I've done hours of research, and as well, wasted $10's of thousands
in the past on big name tuners.

To me it's about performance, $ AND service--VALUE. So:

1.for Stage 1's, EuroCharge, Jerry

2.for stage 2 and higher, Speedriven.

However, it's probably best to speak with a Speedriven vendor
because Speedriven's serviice (communication) isn't as good
as their products yet.

So I would speak with a quality Speedriven vendor like
Accel Auto Center, 647 427 3942, Igor.

Igor communicates well, and knows what VALUE means.

-R
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM

SL65 R230
@ Got the Benz

When I am in a good temper and you are nice to me, maybe I will make a High-Speed Video or at least GPS-Proof of my SL65 on the German Autobahn.

But before I will do this, I will get a set of new (special rated) tyres, because this run is going to be VERY FAST.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Turbo Size's and Make question?