SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Aventador leaves me a bit puzzled...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Aventador leaves me a bit puzzled...

But no in the dust. Thats whats so puzzling to me.

Driving today I was just checking my email on my cell phone when a Lamborghini Aventador (white) pulls up on the freeway slowly passing me at my 65mph pace. I was quick enough to switch to the camera and snap a pic. Normally I would just continue along not stressing my car out on a 108 degree day. Plus I has 14mpg showing left in the gas tank. I honestly could not help myself, but to toy a little bit. I mean this is an Aventador, and it will never happen again. I opened the cutouts and had to get on it a little bit.

While my car makes a sound with the cutouts open loud enough to pop the roll bar up and scare the crap out of you. I'm pretty sure he heard me. Honestly that was enough to get his attention as I slow down and he catches up.

Now he tries to give me the business and I thought for sure he would. Even in my modded state, (pulley, headers, tune). It was simply not the case. To be honest I felt I was starting to inch away.

This is what left me puzzled. Here we have a heavy SL55 with some mods. Going against the latest greatest exotic car from Italy. A $400K vs $44K. 700hp vs my maybe 650hp (crank). The only thing I could think was forced Induction won the day. As the 108 degree temps must have really tanked the N/A V12 in the Aventador. Really there is no way on paper it should have been like this.

I've been beat by a new camaro, so I didn't think I had a chance in Hell. I just wanted to see the thing go. I think I called all my car buddies and said "you're not going to believe this." If I didn't experiences it and someone told me, much like I'm telling you. I would think its BS. However its real, and I don't think of my SL as a very fast car. I mean it will run 11's, but thats nothing when you look at other AMG's.

Now looking back at some other awesome cars I've killed over the years in my AMG's. Vipers, M6's, R8's, Aston Mrtn, Porsche, now a Lambo Aventador. Some might not call it a "W", but I sure am, because I sure didn't loose.

Not sure I'm sold on the idea its the driver, because I'm nothing special, Push peddle = go. Didn't look like he missed a shift. I couldn't hear crap except my car, because my cutouts were open.

Here is the pic I snapped. (dont mind the clock, its way from not being synced with my aftermarket headunit)

Old 06-01-2012, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Can we get a good video of our exhaust with cut outs open and closed??
Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 07 MB GL450
Are you sure he was trying and going all out? I thought the hotter temperatures would affect/heaksoak your Supercharged engine more than a N/A V12...

Otherwise this is REALLY hard to believe. Nothing against you. Beautiful cars going at it! Awesome.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
The only thing I could think was forced Induction won the day. As the 108 degree temps must have really tanked the N/A V12 in the Aventador.
good showing

but the above statement is simply not correct in my experience. f/i motors suffer far more from hot weather than n/a ones...
Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I thought these ran mid 10s at like 13x in the quarter. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I read somewhere.....
Old 06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

This is why Im so lost for words. When I got home I did a google searched the car. 700hp 10s at 130+. I have no idea if the guy was fully on it or not, but I sure was lol. All night I was thinking about it. Asking myself and friends their take on it. Was the guy not fully on it. Mas he just making me feel good? (it worked) There was a point where the lambo was right beside me and I was at WOT, thats when I inched slightly away. the other time he was right on my bumper. This is why I was like "No Fn way". I wish someone was their to see it. I'm a realest, so my mind thinks something was up. whatever it was made me feel warn and fuzzy inside.

One of the other things that puzzles me is. why get on it and be side by side with me only to keep pace. If it was me I would have ended the little race real quick. Making a statement of sorts. Then again I'm not the other guy. When I let off and hit the brakes he zoomed right by me. So there is no question he was giving it something, how much is clearly debatable. I know I was giving it my all. I hope I get a chance to do it again in a little safer environment. Chances of that happening are slim.

If the guy let me get the W, if it was such a thing. I thank him, because it felt pretty damn good.

Last edited by MBH motorsports; 06-01-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM

2014 AMG E63S, 2006 XK8 victory edition convertible, 2006 supercharged trailblazer SS, 2001 E430
I doubt he was fully on it but it is a possibility i guess. Keep in mind, 1/4 mile times include the launch. Its a whole different ball game when starting from a roll. With that said, I think the Lambo shoulda took you either way.... Dig or a roll. Thanks for sharing regardless

EDIT: Also, the driver of the Lambo might not have known how to drive it. A buddy of mine has a Ferrari and it took him a while to get used to winding it up far enough to get/keep it in it's power band.

Last edited by nizzle; 06-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM

I thik the guy was following his break in procedure.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
I wanna know what new CAMARO beat ya
My SL600 with flash tune is faster than both my Lamborghini and Porsche turbo S in straight line from 35 to 100.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by alx
good showing

but the above statement is simply not correct in my experience. f/i motors suffer far more from hot weather than n/a ones...
Pretty sure it's the other way around. where we have a system creating some form of atmosphere and N/A engine does not. If hot dry air crates an effect on the engine, mimicking altitude. A F/I engine should loose less power than that of natural aspiration.

Case in point (extreme). In WWII warbirds were struggling to make power at altitude until the supercharger was introduced.

So with the supercharged engine vs a N/A engine the air coming into my engine is more dense than that of an engine that is not compressing the air.

All engines will loose power in the heat, thinner air, or altitude. It's just that some will loose more. Like an N/A engine that has no atmospheric aid. It takes in whatever air is available. Where are the air from a F/I car is compressed no matter what the temp. So even though we both got 108 degree air coming in my car was able to at least charge that thinner air to a degree. Where his was not.

Funny with all the talks I had about it last night, no one mentioned the break in period until now. That might make the most sense to me. I know I wouldn't risk it with a 400K car, if the motor wasn't broken in.

I've toss around the idea of the guy only giving me enough to get the job done. (I do that when I toy with lesser powered cars, Only giving enough throttle to make a slight display). Then maybe the guy realized this isn't exactly a stock SL55. By then the race was over. Keep in mind we are talking about maybe 7 seconds of racing. I'm pretty sure I got on it first, so in that short time, its hard to quickly over take a pretty quick car in such a short time frame.

I agree something must have been up, but that small glimmer of maybe there wasn't surely made me smile. Totally made my day yesterday.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by AZBENZ-CTSV
My SL600 with flash tune is faster than both my Lamborghini and Porsche turbo S in straight line from 35 to 100.
I tried to give that Camaro all I had, He did jump me a little bit, but I was not catching him. That car was not stock and it was crazy fast. Fast enough that I gave up on a very desolate road that you could go 180mph and no one would know. The fastest car I've ever toyed with. I'd rather say I lost to a lambo than a camaro, but I was clearly out gunned.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by AZBENZ-CTSV
Tuned SL600 > than lightly modded SL55.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Pretty sure it's the other way around. where we have a system creating some form of atmosphere and N/A engine does not. If hot dry air crates an effect on the engine, mimicking altitude. A F/I engine should loose less power than that of natural aspiration.

Case in point (extreme). In WWII warbirds were struggling to make power at altitude until the supercharger was introduced.

So with the supercharged engine vs a N/A engine the air coming into my engine is more dense than that of an engine that is not compressing the air.

All engines will loose power in the heat, thinner air, or altitude. It's just that some will loose more. Like an N/A engine that has no atmospheric aid. It takes in whatever air is available. Where are the air from a F/I car is compressed no matter what the temp. So even though we both got 108 degree air coming in my car was able to at least charge that thinner air to a degree. Where his was not.

Funny with all the talks I had about it last night, no one mentioned the break in period until now. That might make the most sense to me. I know I wouldn't risk it with a 400K car, if the motor wasn't broken in.

I've toss around the idea of the guy only giving me enough to get the job done. (I do that when I toy with lesser powered cars, Only giving enough throttle to make a slight display). Then maybe the guy realized this isn't exactly a stock SL55. By then the race was over. Keep in mind we are talking about maybe 7 seconds of racing. I'm pretty sure I got on it first, so in that short time, its hard to quickly over take a pretty quick car in such a short time frame.

I agree something must have been up, but that small glimmer of maybe there wasn't surely made me smile. Totally made my day yesterday.
Correct. Altitude has more effect on n/a cars than f/I cars. If you tell me the altitude and blower ratio i can even calculate exactly what the effect is.

However n/a cars lose less power in hot weather because they are less prone to detonations and the resulting timing retard. F/ I cars are far more sensitive to heat soak and hot intake air as detonation conditions are much easier to obtain. After all they do run higher final compression due to boost. To add insult to injury at 100 degrees ambient te n/ a iat will be 100-120. The f/I motor will be seeing 180 in few seconds of wot even with large h/e and/ or properly sorted intercoolers.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt
I think he trolled you.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63, ML320
Originally Posted by iAMGod
I think he trolled you.
I agree. Road and Track, for example, has the Lambo with 0-60 in 2.7, 0-100 in 5.8, and 10.4 in the 1/4. No way my heavy SL55 is going to do 0-100 in 5.8 seconds unless I drive off a cliff.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM

2004 SL55
This is why I dislike racing on the street.

Was he racing or wasn't he? Was he nervous and a bit hesitant? Was he caught off guard and just as he was about to catch you, you quit and called it a win? Where did you start? Where was the finish line?

These things are best handled on the strip. You know why you're there. He knows why he's there. Definite starting line. Definite finish line. Definite winner. Definite loser.

I was frantically searching YouTube for a clip I once saw. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was a ricer "racing" an SS Camaro from a red light. The poor guy in the Camaro had no idea he was racing and when the light turned green, the Jap car took off like a bat out of hell leaving the unsuspecting Camaro sitting there. You can hear the driver saying "Smoked!"

Really?

Really?
Old 06-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
n/a
Clearly he was not racing... 130+mph traps would simply put buslengths on you.

Most likely he is in break-in mileage and not revving over a certain RPM or even going full throttle at all.

The aventador is a beast, even the SL65 Black series would not be able to keep up in a full race.