SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I am Fuming ,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by WDLUGITCH
I do not own a Mercedes-Benz, I own Lexus.
Modifications
GOLD VALVE STEM CAPS!

They still do that?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C240
They did for me, but I'm special!
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Originally Posted by jbec.keane
Am I missing something. Even the MBWorld forums lists the SL models as

R107 1971-1989
R129 1990-2002
R230 2003-2012
R231 2013-

JK
Nope - as I said before: the cars are built on a platform and they make a prototype when developing a new car and they give the cars a number - (the platform) when they are satisfied and decide to put it in production the model gets that designation - hence the SL types it something like the R107 ... then R129 and then the car they built from 2002/03 to 2012 - the one you got - the R230. New SL from 2012 has the "Baureiche 231" and when MB makes a run-down on the models they have made they always show the first model of that particular "Baureiche".

When you have a expensive car as the SL you all should at least spend 30 bucks on a book about the car - or maybe for Christmas:
Amazon Amazon

Also: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_R_230

Hope that will help cool-down
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Man, I miss PRChris.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Once again I have posted something to object to, now I know there are
different cultures here, mainly from USA who are probably apart from me
absolute car fanatics, I would love to live there because of all the tuning
and car mod places. So when I get an Icon brochure showing the SL from
start to current, BUT without my car, no recognition ,no pictures, nothin I tend to get upset, that with the part ex price I got.
Why that gets some of you up tight I will never know.
Thericker you may not like my threads, but at least it gets 3 pages of
replies, good and bad.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WDLUGITCH
It's spelled "privilege." I think you are a little impressed with your own importance. You should seriously consider putting a hose in the tailpipe, extending it into your driver side window, rolling it up, and sitting in your car with engine on. We will, then, hopefully, not see more of your idiotic posts.
Actually in this case it's privilige .
So don't come a MB forum just to pick holes, go drive your MB copy
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
If this is the worst part of your day... you are having a great day!

Maybe they just regret discontinuing such a great car as the SL55! Even car companies make mistakes!!

Smile! It's all good......
Your right, the 55 was a good car, I know I had one. I'm sure they did have regrets stopping the 55, still once you made a mistake you should be man
enough to admit it, it's very sneaky to hope people wont notice.
and thank you for your sensible and balanced reply.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by sound 8
Hello fellow owner, I like you love my car, and in most respects prefer it's
looks to the 2012 model. However sooner or later you will sell it, and for
people who wont know there are 2 different models will become confused.
I can see prices on our model scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
We'll cross that bridge once we get to it, but no sense crying over it now. I woud hope you have sound investments in other avenues that would afford you the loss your going to take on this car and on any car for that matter. I went into this knowing full well of the AMG depreciation curse.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I can't even believe you're proud of a (3) page hate fest

Once again I have posted something to object to, now I know there are
different cultures here, mainly from USA who are probably apart from me
absolute car fanatics, I would love to live there because of all the tuning
and car mod places. So when I get an Icon brochure showing the SL from
start to current, BUT without my car, no recognition ,no pictures, nothin I tend to get upset, that with the part ex price I got.
Why that gets some of you up tight I will never know.
Thericker you may not like my threads, but at least it gets 3 pages of
replies, good and bad.
Originally Posted by Thericker
99.99% of your threads/comments are absolute worthless drivel Do us ALL a favor & chuck your keyboard out the window, then drive over it w/ur precious sl63
Please take (1) of these suggestions w/your keyboard: Preferably the latter
Vid below w/sound is better..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9w...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Thericker; 10-01-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM

sound 8,

Help me out here since I have not seen the brochure to which you are referring. For example, did it present photos of every variant of the R107, the 3rd generation SL that was available from 1971 to 1989, of which there were many?

As I recall, the brochure that accompanied the launch of the R230, the 5th generation SL, only showed one image each of the 4 previous generations and did not show individual variants or face-lifts throughout history.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Your right, the 55 was a good car, I know I had one. I'm sure they did have regrets stopping the 55, still once you made a mistake you should be man
enough to admit it, it's very sneaky to hope people wont notice.
and thank you for your sensible and balanced reply.
Hopefully, we are all enthusiasts. Some things effect people more than others. Obviously, this brochure has irritated you. What irritates me is the massive depreciation.

My SL55 was my first new MB, and it will be my last. Not that I don't love the car. It is brilliant, but a much better used purchase, than new. Unless, of course, you don't mind throwing a pile of money down the drain.

I came from the Ferrari world, where the cars actually retain a fair amount of value (not the new cars, since they have caught on to overproduction), so this MB depreciation thing shocked me. I had the first SL55 in my area, and was offered $50K over sticker shortly after I bought it. I should have sent it down the road.

Send a letter to MB with your concern. It may actually get a response.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 PM

SL55 AMG
Wow...seems different cultures see things differently. Here in the US there are plenty of uptight, self appointed VIPs...but "most" folks over here see that as a negative quality. I suppose with our current commander in chief representing the whole nation with a sense of egotism and arrogance might suggest that America as a whole finds these qualities admirable, however, I propose that most of us do not. Humility might do you a bit of good sound 8. I'm not telling you how to live your life, but dude....seriously? You're bent about a broshure? And in good part because you and your car aren't getting recognized? I guarantee the print of your vehicle, or lackthereof in your case, does not have an ounce of impact on your car's resale value. If you bought your car thinking it was going to hold value or appreciate, you did some poor research and as a successful business owner I hope for your sake you don't make too many decisions along these lines...or it will unlikely remain profitable. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to own my car and that pride comes with knowledge of how hard I worked to save enough to afford it....but I didn't buy it for accalades from others, nor do I think thats a very good reason to buy anything else for that matter. Your posts do read with a sense of self importance that is a put off in my mind, and I think thats enough to elicit some serious criticism from others. Just my two cents. (as a side note...why I felt compelled to waste the time to read all the previous posts and then add to the madness myself, well...I'm not sure. But I did...LOL)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Imawreck
Wow...seems different cultures see things differently. Here in the US there are plenty of uptight, self appointed VIPs...but "most" folks over here see that as a negative quality. I suppose with our current commander in chief representing the whole nation with a sense of egotism and arrogance might suggest that America as a whole finds these qualities admirable, however, I propose that most of us do not. Humility might do you a bit of good sound 8. I'm not telling you how to live your life, but dude....seriously? You're bent about a broshure? And in good part because you and your car aren't getting recognized? I guarantee the print of your vehicle, or lackthereof in your case, does not have an ounce of impact on your car's resale value. If you bought your car thinking it was going to hold value or appreciate, you did some poor research and as a successful business owner I hope for your sake you don't make too many decisions along these lines...or it will unlikely remain profitable. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to own my car and that pride comes with knowledge of how hard I worked to save enough to afford it....but I didn't buy it for accalades from others, nor do I think thats a very good reason to buy anything else for that matter. Your posts do read with a sense of self importance that is a put off in my mind, and I think thats enough to elicit some serious criticism from others. Just my two cents. (as a side note...why I felt compelled to waste the time to read all the previous posts and then add to the madness myself, well...I'm not sure. But I did...LOL)
Hi, and thanks for your comprehensive reply.
It's true Americans and brits often see things differently , and sometimes
taken badly which leads to insults and the like. I have many Amercican family
grandkids, daughter in law , and sometimes we argue othertimes we have
great fun. I call them big head, they call me pompas twit, but there's no bad
feeling, so I don't know why the insults fly on this forum sometimes. I think
the way I put things sometimes sound insulting, but to another English man
it wouldn't. If you said my car was sick, that's an insult to me. I'm really not
pompas, although there are plenty here. I'm just an old scruffy dressed guy
fanatical about cars, since I was 6 I have built up a business, and spend
more than I should on cars. There is one thing though and my wife says I'm
childish regarding loyalty. After 30 years with the same insurance company
with a good record they decided to not renew my SL policy, this really gets
to me, and it's not because my record is bad, in fact it's perfect. Now I have
bought 5 AMG cars in the last 10 years plus a S600 and a C220, and they
send me a brochure with all SL models except mine, I get the same feeling,
like being stabbed in the back by a friend, and the joke is, it's Mercedes I
boast about, I never go posing in the car, quite the oposite. So If my manner
upsets people please take it with a pinch of salt, I never set out to insult
anybody.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hopefully, we are all enthusiasts. Some things effect people more than others. Obviously, this brochure has irritated you. What irritates me is the massive depreciation.

My SL55 was my first new MB, and it will be my last. Not that I don't love the car. It is brilliant, but a much better used purchase, than new. Unless, of course, you don't mind throwing a pile of money down the drain.

I came from the Ferrari world, where the cars actually retain a fair amount of value (not the new cars, since they have caught on to overproduction), so this MB depreciation thing shocked me. I had the first SL55 in my area, and was offered $50K over sticker shortly after I bought it. I should have sent it down the road.

Send a letter to MB with your concern. It may actually get a response.
Thanks, and one day I will own a Ferrari, a 575 with auto, I love the looks.

Secondly you are right again , I loved my SL55, the only reason I sold it was
things were beginning to go wrong, big expense was on the horizon inc
new windshield. My plan is to buy and tune a SL600 or 65.
cheers.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thericker
Please take (1) of these suggestions w/your keyboard: Preferably the latter
Vid below w/sound is better..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9w...e_gdata_player
Hate fest that's great coming from you.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 PM

SL55 AMG
Well...I'll retract my judgement. Lets live and let live. (And...to solve your problem, you could probably have someone print the missing pages you feel were overlooked in the broshure and have MB's brosure rebound to include. You've have a special edition broshure that no one else possesses and then the value of your car would go up).

jk
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Thanks, and one day I will own a Ferrari, a 575 with auto, I love the looks.

Secondly you are right again , I loved my SL55, the only reason I sold it was
things were beginning to go wrong, big expense was on the horizon inc
new windshield. My plan is to buy and tune a SL600 or 65.
cheers.
The 575 would be a much better place to put money than any Merc.

btw..... The 575 doesn't have an automatic transmission. The F1 is actually a manual gearbox with a clutch, etc. It is computer controlled and uses flappy paddles to operate. The 575 does have an 'auto' mode. All that means is that the computer will even select the gears, as well as depress the clutch, etc.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
I may have an explanation for the omission of your beloved SL63 from the latest sale brochure.
As a AMG Private Lounge member, we recently enjoyed an event at Palm Beach Raceway. One of the featured events was a presentation covering the history of AMG and landmark AMG vehicles. According to the presentation, AMG does consider the SL55 an iconic model for them. As far as they are concerned, the SL55 set a new standard of performance and luxury. They even went so far as to say that for some customers, it took the SLS to get some out of their beloved SL55.
I doubt that many here would, all things being equal, choose the REVOLUTIONARY SL55 over the superior SL63. But keep in mind that the SL63, while a nice EVOLUTION from the SL55, did not carry the marque to another level.
Should you wish to return to ownership of the ICONIC SL55, for a small fee I could be persuaded to trade
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 575 would be a much better place to put money than any Merc.

btw..... The 575 doesn't have an automatic transmission. The F1 is actually a manual gearbox with a clutch, etc. It is computer controlled and uses flappy paddles to operate. The 575 does have an 'auto' mode. All that means is that the computer will even select the gears, as well as depress the clutch, etc.
Sorry, I did mean this type of gearbox. I agree the Ferrari would hold it's
price as well, what am I waiting for,, go drive one.
cheers!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GermanCars
I may have an explanation for the omission of your beloved SL63 from the latest sale brochure.
As a AMG Private Lounge member, we recently enjoyed an event at Palm Beach Raceway. One of the featured events was a presentation covering the history of AMG and landmark AMG vehicles. According to the presentation, AMG does consider the SL55 an iconic model for them. As far as they are concerned, the SL55 set a new standard of performance and luxury. They even went so far as to say that for some customers, it took the SLS to get some out of their beloved SL55.
I doubt that many here would, all things being equal, choose the REVOLUTIONARY SL55 over the superior SL63. But keep in mind that the SL63, while a nice EVOLUTION from the SL55, did not carry the marque to another level.
Should you wish to return to ownership of the ICONIC SL55, for a small fee I could be persuaded to trade
Thanks for your explanation. Indeed the SL55 with it's folding tin roof was
an Iconic model, don't forget I had one for 4 years. However the reason
I state the brochure is innacurate is because it should show the SL55 finish
production in 2008 not 2012. This means there must be another model
from 2008 to 2012. It doesn't matter what car it was or how good it was,
or that I had one, the fact is that it exists, but not according to this brochure.
The SL55 if you like was the most iconic of all the SL, however this doesn't
mean other models didn't exist. I am looking to change to a SL600 or 65.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Is this the brochure?

http://sl.mercedes-benz-classic.com/...s.php?lang=en#
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, no that's not the brochure, I have a new computer and I can't down load
photos, I will print some photos of it soon.

Would you believe it, I wrote to Mercedes asking why my car had been
left out, they must be dumb today I got a reply saying and I
qoute "thank you for your recent request for a Mercedes SL-Class brochure
and test drive. " I find that so rude that they can't be bothered to read
the letter, and have the arrogance to think that every communication sent
to them is for a brochure. Thet go on to say a test drive has been organised
when I crossed out request for a test drive on the return card inc in the brochure.