SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2005 sl55 v. 2006 sl65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Expedition
NEED GUIDANCE !!!!!!

Need some help from experienced owners. I have been wanting a speed toy for the wife and weekends. Had always wanted an Aston Martin but they just don't seem to be worth the dollars. Have now narrowed choices to a 2005 SL55 with 39K miles v. a 2006 SL65 with 53K miles. No warranties but clean cars with good records. Is there a maintenance issue with either over the other and is the V-12 dependable? I drove the 55 and it was amazing, the 65 is in another town close by but it is only $6500 more than the local SL55. I guess to me the SL65 looks like a better deal but maybe might be more of a maintanence issue? Could use some help from the experts. WOuld like to make a purchase by the end of the year or early next year if these fall through.

Last edited by jkwaters2; 11-18-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Better Title
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 C55 AMG - 2018 340i - 2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
You WILL want an extended warranty with either car. These cars break and break fairly often. They are so complex and have so many features that it is unavoidable.

Look into options from Fidelity, NAC, and Easycare (in that order). You want the top of the line warranty plan with a small deductible.

The SL65 power delivery is smooth...like a powerful private jet. The torque comes on instantly so you never really feel a violent pull. Instead, the car shoots forward and the speedometer rises at a rate that seems unrealistic as everything around you turns into a blur.

The SL55 has a more violent delivery. While it too has a ton of torque, the torque comes on a bit more gradually and you actually feel more of the acceleration. Stock for stock, the SL65 is significantly faster, but I find the power delivery of the SL55 more fun because it is violent and I prefer the angry sound of the supercharged V8.

My advice, drive both. See what you like better.

If this car is going to be driven by the woman you love, I'd be tempted to go with the SL55 over the SL65 unless she is a retired F1 driver. The SL55 should be plenty fast for her, and the SL65 is so fast it is downright dangerous, especially since the speed of the SL65 kinda sneaks up on you.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM

98 Expedition
My wife and I both drove the SL55 and it was as you say, a thrill of a take-off. And I understand what you are saying regarding the SL65; make's perfect sense from all that I've read today on these forums. But is the price too good to pass up on the 2006 SL65 at $46K v. the SL55 at $39K even though there are an extra 13K miles on the 65?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Lukas made some very good points and he's owned an SL55, get the warranty. JKW, you and the wife would probably enjoy the 65, the power delivery is more refined. The 55k is like a light switch, its either on or off, but its a lot fun when on. A tuned SL65, is a different animal.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM

SL55, ML500 and E350
I would let my SL55 go for 40K and it has less than 50K on it, most of which I have put on it in the last yer driving between San Clemente and San Diego.

I love this car and I am a big fan of Ferrari and Lamborghini but I was annoyed by a trcked out Gallardo with a Tubi exhaust on Scottsdale Boulevard by the whinning noise he kept making from first to third gear.

In the Porsche world this is exactly why you need to be very careful of the after market exhaust that you purchase.

So I decided to show him what he was up against. All I had to do was drop a cog, step on it and move to the left before I ran up the car in front of me, which was at least 3 to 4 car lengths in front of him.

When I put my foot down within a second I was up the car in front on me's butt and my mind was still thinking about stepping on the peddle. Not only did I shut down the Galardo and had his (20+ year younger) girl friend looking at him in disbelief but I scared the **** out of myself as to how fast this car actuallly is.

I am sending it to Brabus for winter upgrades this week and expect it back in the spring with a whole new look, sound and performance. If I get rid of it it will be only because I what the best version of it I can get.

It may be a production car but it is the best production car on the road. SL65 is for the man in all of us but I agree it may be over the top for any lady other than Danika.

Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Lukas made some very good points and he's owned an SL55, get the warranty. JKW, you and the wife would probably enjoy the 65, the power delivery is more refined. The 55k is like a light switch, its either on or off, but its a lot fun when on. A tuned SL65, is a different animal.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM

230 06' SL65 AMG
You may have made your purchase already but I faced a similar dilemma a few months back. I own a CL55 and I was looking to buy either the SL55 or SL65.

The power is immense on the SL65 (when it's opperating at full strength and from my 6 months of ownership it won't always be up to specs) The 55 engine is pretty bullet-proof when compared to the 65.

With that said, the 65 is just a different animal when it comes to power and delivery. First and second gear are pretty much designed to shred tires, then when you start hitting 3rd gear and up, you will really feel big difference between the cars. The 65 just starts to dominate at this point.

One other item of note is the brakes on the 65 vs the 55. The 65's brakes are immensely superior to the 55.

I'm happy with my choice in going with the 65, but i've also planned for double the maintenance costs.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
+1
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
I had a SL55 for a few years, then a SL63 and now I have a SL65. To me
there is no doubt the 65 is decidedly quicker than them all. It has real
grunt, it makes you feel invincible.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by LukasBMW
You WILL want an extended warranty with either car. These cars break and break fairly often. They are so complex and have so many features that it is unavoidable.

Look into options from Fidelity, NAC, and Easycare (in that order). You want the top of the line warranty plan with a small deductible.

The SL65 power delivery is smooth...like a powerful private jet. The torque comes on instantly so you never really feel a violent pull. Instead, the car shoots forward and the speedometer rises at a rate that seems unrealistic as everything around you turns into a blur.

The SL55 has a more violent delivery. While it too has a ton of torque, the torque comes on a bit more gradually and you actually feel more of the acceleration. Stock for stock, the SL65 is significantly faster, but I find the power delivery of the SL55 more fun because it is violent and I prefer the angry sound of the supercharged V8.

My advice, drive both. See what you like better.

If this car is going to be driven by the woman you love, I'd be tempted to go with the SL55 over the SL65 unless she is a retired F1 driver. The SL55 should be plenty fast for her, and the SL65 is so fast it is downright dangerous, especially since the speed of the SL65 kinda sneaks up on you.
The above advice from LukasBMW was spot on.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM

SL65
FWIW, I have an '05 SL55 and I've owned a 65 as well. I think the 55 is the smarter buy. It is as fast or faster at low speeds and costs one heck of a lot less in every area. The cost of a brake job on the 65 was, if I recall correctly $2500. You can do a 55 for a third of that.

Having said all that, I've injured my back and bought an SUV, so I will be selling my 55. It's Designo Graphite, panorama roof, Bluetooth, no keyless go, no damage ever, still under MBZ warranty, plus I have an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty beyond that to 70K miles or late 2016, so no worries for the next owner. Car currently has 41K miles, dealer serviced, senior driven. This car has had no problems whatsoever. Bulletproof, actually.

If interested email migg949@gmail.com, make an offer. I'm also selling an '04 Corvette w/30K miles, similar options and condition.