SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2005 SL55 stop running... now loud tapping noise...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 IS350C
It's all good... I am not to riled up... I like all the feeed back! I am told the tapping is all but gone from the car as the last time my Machanic started it to move it into the garage for the night he said it all but went away. I hope to hear from the MB tech (non MB dealer) tomorrow and will get it checked out by them and see what it what. I am still thinking something in the super-charger as I did not hear the loud whining noise that it always makes when you start these SL55 beasts.... But I am not going to guess and will just have it checked out by people that know these cars. I drive a company car so my SL55 is just for fun so it is not like I need it back tomorrow... But it sure is a heck of a lot of fun to drive and like most of you I like the grin you feel coming over your face when you put the peddle down.

I hope everyone that celebrates had a very Merry Christmas today! I know I ate way to much food today!

Enjoy the rest of the holiday!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL 55 and a GT 3000 vr4 Here's my car: http://home.online.no/~ludvs/index.cfm
The loud whining noise is the transmission pump starting up to get pressure to the gearbox.
I read it somewhere here, I didn't know before, so that's one less thing to worry about at least.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 AM

2011 IS350C
Originally Posted by rune solem
The loud whining noise is the transmission pump starting up to get pressure to the gearbox.
I read it somewhere here, I didn't know before, so that's one less thing to worry about at least.
That is strange as I started it again when it was delivered to the MB mechanic and the whining noise is not there when I start it but the transmission works as it moves? Tapping noise was still there. It gets looked at tomorrow by the technician. I will post their findings tomorrow as soon as hear from them.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM

2011 IS350C
Just an tiny update to report as they still have not had time to work on the car much.

The car runs and the tapping goes away but when you try to take it above the Supercharger kick-in RPM (2500?) it then starts to sputter out. They think the Supercharger clutch might be bad.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Hmmmm, it's weird, I doubt it's the sc pulley, do you see it broken?

If it is the sc pulley don't buy a brand new one I have an oem that I could sell you
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM

2011 IS350C
Originally Posted by Hulk
Hmmmm, it's weird, I doubt it's the sc pulley, do you see it broken?

If it is the sc pulley don't buy a brand new one I have an oem that I could sell you
Nothing is visible to the eye. They want to take it apart and look at it first. After that they can force the super charger on by the MB computer diagnostics system? They should have some answers to the problem by mid week... At least I hope they do.

Thanks for the offer on the pulley.... I might just take you up on that if that turns out to be all that is wrong.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM

2011 IS350C
Ok, so I am trying to decide on the best engine to drop into my 2005 SL55. I found two in florida, one from a 2003 SL55(68k miles) and the other from a 2006 CLS55 (40K miles) with a $250 price difference between them. I want an engine that will drop right into the car with no need to swap-out and wire harnesses or other parts to save time and money on the swap.

Will both of these engines drop right in or is the one out of the 2003 SL55 my best bet?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight
Ok, so I am trying to decide on the best engine to drop into my 2005 SL55. I found two in florida, one from a 2003 SL55(68k miles) and the other from a 2006 CLS55 (40K miles) with a $250 price difference between them. I want an engine that will drop right into the car with no need to swap-out and wire harnesses or other parts to save time and money on the swap.

Will both of these engines drop right in or is the one out of the 2003 SL55 my best bet?
So what was the verdict? Looking for an engine, it doesn't sound good.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM

2011 IS350C
Unhappy

Originally Posted by BobLibSL55
So what was the verdict? Looking for an engine, it doesn't sound good.
The turbine in the blower broke apart during high RPM's and parts of the metal went down into the engine... So time to just swap out the motor.... Not good at all.....
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg

i would be under the assumption you would be good either way. i don't know much at all about the cls, but i would assume from a manufacturing standpoint, it would be the same. if there was anything different externally (internally should be the same), you could just swap those parts over from your existing motor pretty easy. try to find anything about history and go with gut feeling.

i have been contimplating a crazy project. i would be willing to pay you it's weight in aluminum and shipping for the blower housing. it's for a project when i blow my motor up. haha. actually, now that i think about it, you want to sell your eaten up engine?

Last edited by overZealous1; 01-23-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55
The turbine in the blower broke apart during high RPM's and parts of the metal went down into the engine... So time to just swap out the motor.... Not good at all.....
Oh man that sucks. Good luck getting everything straightened out.

About a month ago, I was googling info on the 55K engine and one of the links was for a fresh engine that was for sale. Thought that it said $3150 and remember thinking that it wasn't too expensive (actually really cheap) but then soon realized that I missed a zero and it was $31,500!

So I can imagine you're going to be dropping a lot of dough.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM

2011 IS350C
Originally Posted by overZealous1
i would be under the assumption you would be good either way. i don't know much at all about the cls, but i would assume from a manufacturing standpoint, it would be the same. if there was anything different externally (internally should be the same), you could just swap those parts over from your existing motor pretty easy. try to find anything about history and go with gut feeling.

i have been contimplating a crazy project. i would be willing to pay you it's weight in aluminum and shipping for the blower housing. it's for a project when i blow my motor up. haha. actually, now that i think about it, you want to sell your eaten up engine?
I am not doing the work thus why I want it to be a direct swap with no parts exchanged... For example if the wiring harness is not the same then the blower has to be pulled off the new engine as part of the harness runs under it. Since it is costing me $80 an hour I want it fast and painless.

I am able to sell off the old engine so Pm me if you really want it and I can provide the location of it so you check on shipping charges.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by BobLibSL55
Oh man that sucks. Good luck getting everything straightened out.

About a month ago, I was googling info on the 55K engine and one of the links was for a fresh engine that was for sale. Thought that it said $3150 and remember thinking that it wasn't too expensive (actually really cheap) but then soon realized that I missed a zero and it was $31,500!

So I can imagine you're going to be dropping a lot of dough.

Good luck.
alot of shops think that the same clearances that work for every other motor in the world, need to be made "special" for a mercedes or insert exotic name here.
an engine block does not know it was cast with a mercedes emblem, or a kia emblem or any other emblem. it just is what it is. yes, some go through more CHECKS, to reach a closer tolerance on bearing clearance, but for overhead cam engines most of the time goes into the intial setting of the valves. it basically comes down to what is called "blueprinting" in more common terms. blueprinting is simply adhearing to the manufacturers spec on clearances engineered for each part. mass assembled motors do not get this.
in your example, it seems someone paid for, or are trying to charge a 500% mark up of what it actually costs.
i have been working with a great machinist for close to 20 years. i still chose to assemble the motors in order to provide a quadruple check on tolerances. he checks twice, i check twice but for me in a consummers position. he has been spot on every single time. that is service incredible in this industry! machining equipment does not care the name on the block, it is the operator that creates the tolerances.

my little rant is for the simple reason for people to get more knowledge and to not pay retarded prices from dealerships and have "certified techs" that could bairily fix their way out of a wet paper bag and get charged top dollar by people who have no idea what they are doing.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
I am not doing the work thus why I want it to be a direct swap with no parts exchanged... For example if the wiring harness is not the same then the blower has to be pulled off the new engine as part of the harness runs under it. Since it is costing me $80 an hour I want it fast and painless.

I am able to sell off the old engine so Pm me if you really want it and I can provide the location of it so you check on shipping charges.
there is one vacuum line that does go under the blower. so it may or may not be pulled on the engine in question. if it was me in your position, i would gamble that merc tried to make the engine assmbly as modular as possible. that works out best for you, but, there may be a simple bolt here or there that is longer or holds a bracket that may differ in each chassis.

my plans right now are to blow my motor up with nitrous. after that, a new twin turbo set up. a complete core motor that needs new internals and eaten up blower leaves me the bare building blocks.

sending pm.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
alot of shops think that the same clearances that work for every other motor in the world, need to be made "special" for a mercedes or insert exotic name here.
an engine block does not know it was cast with a mercedes emblem, or a kia emblem or any other emblem. it just is what it is. yes, some go through more CHECKS, to reach a closer tolerance on bearing clearance, but for overhead cam engines most of the time goes into the intial setting of the valves. it basically comes down to what is called "blueprinting" in more common terms. blueprinting is simply adhearing to the manufacturers spec on clearances engineered for each part. mass assembled motors do not get this.
in your example, it seems someone paid for, or are trying to charge a 500% mark up of what it actually costs.
i have been working with a great machinist for close to 20 years. i still chose to assemble the motors in order to provide a quadruple check on tolerances. he checks twice, i check twice but for me in a consummers position. he has been spot on every single time. that is service incredible in this industry! machining equipment does not care the name on the block, it is the operator that creates the tolerances.

my little rant is for the simple reason for people to get more knowledge and to not pay retarded prices from dealerships and have "certified techs" that could bairily fix their way out of a wet paper bag and get charged top dollar by people who have no idea what they are doing.
if anything i have found german school of engineering to prefer looser tolerances, run thicker oil and generally behave like an american bad boy vs japanese tighter than your *** tolerances and running thin oil...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Hi DigitalNight

Sorry to hear this ........ any thoughts of why it happened?

Maybe this is one of those you have been looking at? http://www.ebay.com/itm/221175660100...DXX:IT&vxp=mtr

I have been looking at this for some time and thinks the engine looks very nice .... compared to my own .... looks like it has been good taken care of.

This should be a direct swup)))) ... but get the VIN from the seller and talk to MB - then you will be sure. Also they can tell you how long the job will/should take ..... I just took mine out and will estimate a change of a engine by people that know what they do ... two days max and then you drive out of there ...........

my plans right now are to blow my motor up with nitrous. after that, a new twin turbo set up. a complete core motor that needs new internals and eaten up blower leaves me the bare building blocks.

sending pm.
your simply bad with a BIG B OZ

Last edited by amok55amg; 01-24-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: forgot a link .....
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Well - like vultures we are ....... if OZ only need the engine for twin-turbos, then I will like to give you an offer on the blower ........
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by amok55amg
Well - like vultures we are ....... if OZ only need the engine for twin-turbos, then I will like to give you an offer on the blower ........
i need the case too! lol. well, just the runners specifically. suppose a stock sl500 manifold would work too.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM

2011 IS350C
Hi DigitalNight

Sorry to hear this ........ any thoughts of why it happened?

Maybe this is one of those you have been looking at? http://www.ebay.com/itm/221175660100...DXX:IT&vxp=mtr

I have been looking at this for some time and thinks the engine looks very nice .... compared to my own .... looks like it has been good taken care of.

This should be a direct swup)))) ... but get the VIN from the seller and talk to MB - then you will be sure. Also they can tell you how long the job will/should take ..... I just took mine out and will estimate a change of a engine by people that know what they do ... two days max and then you drive out of there ...........

your simply bad with a BIG B OZ
Yep, that is the one I am looking at. I have sent them two messages via eBay and called there number twice but get voice mail and left message. Hope they get back to me soon......
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Contact shardul DK
He will straighten you out with no games
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM

2011 IS350C
Originally Posted by Hulk
Contact shardul DK
He will straighten you out with no games
I do not have his contact info. You were going to give him the link to this thread last I heard in your PM....
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM

2011 IS350C
A look inside the blower at the turbine issue:

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Think theres an issue with the photo .......
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM

2011 IS350C
Think theres an issue with the photo .......
There you go... I re-sized it for you!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
I do not have his contact info. You were going to give him the link to this thread last I heard in your PM....
PM sent with my cell number

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2005 SL55 stop running... now loud tapping noise...