SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: OEM motor mounts manufacture????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
OEM motor mounts manufacture????

Anybody know who’s the OEM manufacture for MB motor mounts?

I have a sneaking suspicion it’s Corteco …… http://www.corteco.com/en/products/vibration-control/
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
I have heard it is corteco, although bilsteins are the same thing, if you are making power motor mounts won't last you a year anyway whether you go oem or aftermarket
Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM

What do you mean they wont last a year? Are you hinting to a upgraded motor will kill the motor mounts?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Haha, if your car is making say 560wtq, guess what your mounts whether be oem or bilsteins won't last you a year if you push her,lol
Best way is to put new mounts and strap the engine down and then you will never need mounts again
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 AM

Got it ....

It was not Corteco ....... its SGF

http://www.sgf.de/uppics/Datenblaett...rie_englis.pdf

I mixed it up ... this is the OEM for the flex coupling from transmission to the shaft .......
Attached Thumbnails OEM motor mounts manufacture????-imgp1113.jpg  

Last edited by amok55amg; 01-27-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: brain shut down ......
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I was told over and over it was corteco, regardless, if you are making lots of wtq, oem or bilsteins will wear out quick, you need to strap the engine down and you will never need new mounts again
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
i am entertaining making solid mounts for mine. will be looking into it more. from the looks of the stock mount, it should be easy to do.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by overZealous1
i am entertaining making solid mounts for mine. will be looking into it more. from the looks of the stock mount, it should be easy to do.
Originally Posted by Hulk
I was told over and over it was corteco, regardless, if you are making lots of wtq, oem or bilsteins will wear out quick, you need to strap the engine down and you will never need new mounts again
Yes and it probably is Corteco .... I was mixing things up ... brain shut down due to extensive MB - 24/7 -the pic. I posted was the flexible coupling between the transmission and the drive-shaft ......
For the engine mounts theres nothing to be found on them that gives away the manufacturer .... I wrote to Corteco but no answer - as expected - I have now bought Corteco for 2/3 of the price that MB charge.........

Strapping down and solid mounts are you serious? Don't you tear the bridge/chassis apart over time? also vibration and noise in the cockpit ...... those hydraulic mounts are there for a reason - I think .....
Attached Thumbnails OEM motor mounts manufacture????-imgp1075_zps29bb5a5e.jpg   OEM motor mounts manufacture????-imgp1095_zps883c6d1e.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
yup, the hydraulic mounts are there for a reason. for a stock car with stock hp. start getting lots more power and they start failing. no, you will not tear apart the chassis. i have gotten into these discussions with internet engineers for years now and the fact is there is not one single failure i could find on the entire internet based on using solid mounts. sure, you will get a touch more vibration, but, you still have the subframe bushings too that take most of that up. the plus side is alot better throttle response due to engine twist limited. it is almost a must if you are running a complex twin turbo set up. engine rocking around so much over time pops off charge pipes.
i have made them for nearly every high hp car i have owned and never a single issue. it is a must in any type of competitive racing. hate to lose a race because your stock engine mount failed.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
My fab guy has strapped down a few e55s and no issues, some have actually gone on for a long time without replacing mounts

Kustom will be strapping his down too because he has to change them as well so when he puts in the new ones it will be his last time

That's one sl55
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Btw guys, you Guys here in the sl55 section should listen to OZ he knows his stuff, he's like the mad scientist lol
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Haha, if your car is making say 560wtq, guess what your mounts whether be oem or bilsteins won't last you a year if you push her,lol
Best way is to put new mounts and strap the engine down and then you will never need mounts again
My SL is making 540 wtq. I have been through 3 sets in 5 years. The first year, I dragged a fair amount and the mounts lasted about a year. I think I am probably at about 2+ on the current set, but I drive the car 7 months a year and tend to hit WOT from a roll these days.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Btw guys, you Guys here in the sl55 section should listen to OZ he knows his stuff, he's like the mad scientist lol
looks like i have atleast one person fooled! hahaha. jk.

i started reading engine building and suspensions at about 11-12 years old, read most other automotive books by about 15, and since my first car (the crazy 67 camaro i still have that some have seen pics of) at 15 yo i have only ever had to pay to have machine work done and mounting tires. nearly 25 years of building engines, painting, body, and crazy projects has been an up and down road!
all the newer computer stuff makes it hard to master lots of different cars though. these forums REALLY cut down on the learning curve times luckily.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM

My fab guy has strapped down a few e55s and no issues, some have actually gone on for a long time without replacing mounts

Kustom will be strapping his down too because he has to change them as well so when he puts in the new ones it will be his last time

That's one sl55
hmmmm - you guessed - how do you "strap it down" ? ... getting a pic. with some turnbuckles ....... your laughing now?

looks like i have atleast one person fooled! hahaha. jk.

i started reading engine building and suspensions at about 11-12 years old, read most other automotive books by about 15, and since my first car (the crazy 67 camaro i still have that some have seen pics of) at 15 yo i have only ever had to pay to have machine work done and mounting tires. nearly 25 years of building engines, painting, body, and crazy projects has been an up and down road!
all the newer computer stuff makes it hard to master lots of different cars though. these forums REALLY cut down on the learning curve times luckily.
you got me too OZ ..... the Wizard of OZ ............. ha ha ha - just there for the right leg to kick ................. not funny? - all new to me and luckily it's not my day-to-day car ..... so I got time and this is "learn by doing"! my only experience was/is a Jeep Cherokee ..... what a experience - we have a hate-love relationship ............ if you can have this with a car ....
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by amok55amg
hmmmm - you guessed - how do you "strap it down" ? ... getting a pic. with some turnbuckles ....... your laughing now?

you got me too OZ ..... the Wizard of OZ ............. ha ha ha - just there for the right leg to kick ................. not funny? - all new to me and luckily it's not my day-to-day car ..... so I got time and this is "learn by doing"! my only experience was/is a Jeep Cherokee ..... what a experience - we have a hate-love relationship ............ if you can have this with a car ....
i have strapped engines down with a few links of chain and then to a part of the existing engine mount. the stock merc mounts though you couldn't do the same exact thing. the solid mounts would be so easy though. from the looks of it, a couple 3" dia 1/8"-3/16" wall tubing, cut one end at correct angle, then weld ends on with a nut welded to the inside.

i have love hate relationships with any car i have owned. i spent hundreds or thousands of hours building them up, then never want to drive them because i am scared some jerk off will hit me and then i will have to do it all over again!! i hate, i mean hate, doing things twice!! usually i get done building them and put it up for sale right away. then, i don't drive it because i don't want to wreck a car i have up for sale and want to keep pristine! it is a vicious cycle. just wait, it will happen to the sl also. lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG EC Stage 5 Beast / ESS S/C E92 M3
I have a feeling I will be needing all y'alls help on this one soon with my latest build
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 AM

That's one sl55
So; strapping down an engine you keep the original mounts and then you use chain/wire or similar - maybe even the turnbuckle I mentioned before? any possibility of pics.?

i have strapped engines down with a few links of chain and then to a part of the existing engine mount. the stock merc mounts though you couldn't do the same exact thing. the solid mounts would be so easy though. from the looks of it, a couple 3" dia 1/8"-3/16" wall tubing, cut one end at correct angle, then weld ends on with a nut welded to the inside.
Yes - it's a (to use your words) a "no-brainer" to make solid mounts for this SL ...... not sure if I will need any of this since I'm not going to the race track (theres no to be found around here) but it's certainly something I will keep in mind.
Was looking yesterday if it was possible to mount two sets of original mounts ....... didn't look impossible ...... but have to wait and see how much space the headers will take.

Last edited by amok55amg; 01-30-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by cal1
My SL is making 540 wtq. I have been through 3 sets in 5 years. The first year, I dragged a fair amount and the mounts lasted about a year. I think I am probably at about 2+ on the current set, but I drive the car 7 months a year and tend to hit WOT from a roll these days.
Cal1 - if you go for solid mounts, then I will make them to you - stainless if you like .....
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM

SL55 AMG EC Stage 5 Beast / ESS S/C E92 M3
+1

I might be interested in these as well
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by amok55amg
Cal1 - if you go for solid mounts, then I will make them to you - stainless if you like .....
Thanks amok. I wonder how solid would feel vs the liquid filled? I'm thinking you would maybe feel the engine more at idle, but not at speed. I notice the stock MMs are aluminum. I just happen to have a set sitting in my basement.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
i came up with a pretty good design the other night so you would not have to get the angle cut perfect or induce more stress. you just hinge it in the middle via a single bolt. 2 identical halves that pivot on a center bolt. lock center bolt down once engine is in and a rest.

similar in design to this, but could be made much simpler.
http://www.wdtrade.com/productimage/2014/3543.jpg
Old 02-02-2013, 03:15 AM

i came up with a pretty good design the other night so you would not have to get the angle cut perfect or induce more stress. you just hinge it in the middle via a single bolt. 2 identical halves that pivot on a center bolt. lock center bolt down once engine is in and a rest.

similar in design to this, but could be made much simpler.
http://www.wdtrade.com/productimage/2014/3543.jpg

I was thinking more a solid aluminum axles with the same seats on top and bottom as the original mounts ....... made by CNC machinery ...... not do-it-yourself but it's where the "heart" of you beast are resting so .... I have this 3D scanner guy lined up for the headers and exhaust piping and he could take this at the same time ........ maybe out of subject here but you ones had a link on Mandrel bending - with a video - I simply cant find it again ......
Old 02-04-2013, 06:28 AM

124.052 230.374
i might be blind but

i think the hydro OEM mounts provide a greatly unappreciated comfort factor that makes up a large percentage of that classic 'Mercedes Feel' and as a professional tech whos probably changed out MM's on 100's of mb's over the years my vote is to retain the stock cuz ive never seen ANY MB engine thatwas difficult to do that job but my knowledge stops at the 07 model yr when i left the deal.. did u say subframe mounts..the 03 sl55 sitting on the lift right now has nutyhing but a 1/8 in thick rubber washer the only things i remember using front subframe mts was thoseold 107 bodies..ive nevr seen a hydro MM fail because of hi power that wasnt worn out to begin with..i miust be getting old to say i like the hydro ride lol
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM

2003 SL55 AMG
My 2003 SL55 needs the motor mounts and the transmission mount changed out. Was going to schedule the service with my mechanic here in Laguna Beach.

what should that cost me? Any one have an idea?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Go with the bilsteins since they are good as well and half the price

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: OEM motor mounts manufacture????