SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Shock boots?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL55,2006 ML350
Shock boots?

Just had my new 2007 SL55 in for safety inspection to license it. They told me my shock boots are ripped. I wasn't there to look. Can you buy these separately and how hard to install? I have pretty good mechanical skills and sure lots of unemloyed mechanics in my city. I would hope you don't have to buy the 700 dollar shocks just to fix ripped boots?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Unfortunately boots are not a separate part.

http://www.parts.com/parts/2007/MERC...T%20SUSPENSION
Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 PM

2007 SL55,2006 ML350
Ok so you are saying to replace the boots have to pay lke 4000 bucks for shocks? The car has like 30000 miles on it..? And how many hours labor to replace shocks..

Wow this car is likely going up for sale tomorrow. That is absolutely retarded. I might as well wrap the boots up with ducktape ..there has to be some simpler fix for ripped boots or maybe he was not talking shock boots but something else at dealership . I wasn`t exactly there to see.

So is it normal for the boots to rip in 30,000 miles....
And if so for that price might as well keep driving on them the way they are if my duct tape don't work then not really out anything.
Or should invent a simple repair kit. Some clamps some rubber that goes over the old boots..how hard could that be.

Last edited by ALLANBROWN; 02-25-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
i would give dealer a try first. parts.com does not list every last single part for our cars.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 AM

2007 SL55,2006 ML350
Originally Posted by overZealous1
i would give dealer a try first. parts.com does not list every last single part for our cars.
Ok cause thougth they were saying they could get boots. Also not sure though if any problem yet with my shocks. And as said would think could wrap them up with something , clamp something over the cracks .

So you sure have a lot of mods done to your car must be a rocketship!

Maybe should do a poll no here to see who would buy their sl55 again . Am I just overworrying about some of this stuff that can go wrong. My car only has 30,000 miles on it after all.

I found some good site should link to it that had tons of tips and fixes and things for the SL55 and guess some of the sister cars. Ways to save money ,fix things yourself. I am pretty wealthy but that don't mean want to throw my money away.

I am new to these German machines . Only owned my ML350 for 10 months or so. I am old domestic guy and really most of my domestic stuff was pretty reliable, pretty easy to find parts for and pretty easy to fix myself most of the time.

I hope things work out with my SL really do. But not prepared to be putting out thouands every year just to keep it on the road. If that is true of these cars then guess back to the domestics or maybe some Japanese stuff. Trying some of that this year as well.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
my car should be a rocketship, if i ever stop working on it and actually drove it!! lol

a huge plus is knowing how to work on cars to start with. if you can do your own troubleshooting and labor, it isn't all that bad. i have had other low production or rare cars so i am definately used to the parts prices though.
btw- my shock boots have some tears also. lol. let me know what you find.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by ALLANBROWN
Just had my new 2007 SL55 in for safety inspection to license it. They told me my shock boots are ripped. I wasn't there to look. Can you buy these separately and how hard to install? I have pretty good mechanical skills and sure lots of unemloyed mechanics in my city. I would hope you don't have to buy the 700 dollar shocks just to fix ripped boots?
Mine are starting to tear as well....dont want to change suspension just to fix the shock boots though!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Parts.com uses the same epc net that the dealers use. Unless there is an aftermarket source for boots they are not available as oem stand alone replacements.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

SL55 AMG & BMW F10
Just buy Arnott remanufactured shocks maybe:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/sea...el=67&year=151
Old 02-26-2013, 12:35 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RonnieRenaldi
Just buy Arnott remanufactured shocks maybe:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/sea...el=67&year=151
the arnotts are an excellent choice. come with lifetime warranty and are cheap.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ CL-CLASS
Originally Posted by alx
the arnotts are an excellent choice. come withlifetime warranty and are cheap.

Thanks for the recommendation! Of course we like to think they are "LessExpensive" not Cheap ; - )

BTW: Forum members can use code MBSAVE12 for up to 10% off your order (Max savings $75,not including shipping or core deposit). Use it during checkout from the Arnott Web Store or by calling our Customer Service Reps at 800-251-8993 Mon - Fri 8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon

I found some good site should link to it that had tons of tips and fixes and things for the SL55 and guess some of the sister cars. Ways to save money ,fix things yourself. I am pretty wealthy but that don't mean want to throw my money away.

I am new to these German machines . Only owned my ML350 for 10 months or so. I am old domestic guy and really most of my domestic stuff was pretty reliable, pretty easy to find parts for and pretty easy to fix myself most of the time.

I hope things work out with my SL really do. But not prepared to be putting out thouands every year just to keep it on the road. If that is true of these cars then guess back to the domestics or maybe some Japanese stuff. Trying some of that this year as well.

Uh-huh....

Out of warranty, you better be prepared to spend 3-4K a year in maintenance to own one of these cars. True story.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Ok cause thougth they were saying they could get boots. Also not sure though if any problem yet with my shocks. And as said would think could wrap them up with something , clamp something over the cracks .

So you sure have a lot of mods done to your car must be a rocketship!

Maybe should do a poll no here to see who would buy their sl55 again . Am I just overworrying about some of this stuff that can go wrong. My car only has 30,000 miles on it after all.

If you're a do-it-your-self man then you will need this:

EPC - Mercedes Benz Electronic Part Catalog - you will find almost every part on every MB model ever made - you access MB mainframe on-line and it cost about 23€ a year - it's a MUST - http://service-parts.mercedes-benz.c.../portal.action

Your SL55AMG STAR Service original MB DVD service and repair manual - this will save you thousand and thousand of big bucks - this is the same as MB technician use in there workshop when working on your car ..... you order and buy it at your local MB - it's a MUST http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9124

Then this one is also nice to have ..... it's not a must but pretty good to see whats new, does it fit to my car etc.: https://odus.mercedes-benz-accessories.com

Hope this is useful
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

A das setup is also a requirement. It will contain also all necessary troubleshooting info.