SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Feeler: 03' SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Feeler: 03' SL55

Hey Guys,

I would like to ask you guys for some honest opinions here. Recently my #8 piston went bad (currently at 90 PSI) and I am currently seeking a used motor complete so I can put my car back to stock, with the exception of the conversion body on it already, and part out all the aftermarket stuff including selling parts from my old engine (block, heads, Supercharger, intercooler, Surge tanks, etc). I figuered I can get the most money by parting it out and selling the car stock.

Now my question to you guys, how much would be a reasonable price to accept for my car "as is" condition? I know it would take the right buyer but I do have a couple inquires right now and I just wanted to get input. Any help is appreciated

2003 Mercedes SL55
09' + Mercedes Conversion
Satin/Matte pearl white paint "Lambo Balloon White"
100,000 Miles
19' HRE P47 Wheels
EvoSport Drilled/Slotted Lightweight Rotors
Renntech 82mm Throttle Body Complete kit
ASP 180mm Pulley
Mercedes SLR Fuel Injectors
Custom C&R Racing Heat Exchanger w/Spal fans 30 x 8 x 2
2 X Meziere Pumps
Custom 5 gallon Rear Reservoir tank w/steel braided lines
Custom LT Headers complete w/X-pipe
Quaife LSD
Evosport Phenolic Spacer
Renntech Toe Links
Renntech V3 Lowering Module

**Completely replaced ABC Suspension w/rear struts 3 years ago ($8k+)**

Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Sorry to hear this bad news about piston #8. You did a very nice conversion however, it's still 2003 with 100K miles. The modes don't really add up much value so you might want to remove and sell them separately. At the current condition, IMO worth no more than $12K so just fix it and continue drive it. You did a very nice conversion and for the next engine just add the loop fuel to prevent happening again. ABC system was replaced already 3 years ago so not adding much value in here. If you fix the engine, the car should worth $28k. Anyway, you got a nice car and good luck with your decision !
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Car won't be worth more than 25k with 100k. I seen a 04 with 67k on it going for around 29k. I would just keep it and drive it till it dies at this point.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM

SL55 AMG EC Stage 5 Beast / ESS S/C E92 M3
If you do part it out I might be interested in some parts. That said FIX IT & KEEP IT!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Your in a tough spot.

If the engine was in top shape, how long would you keep it?

Many of the mods are going to be difficult/impossible to swap out. And unfortunately the ones you could would be worth a fraction of what they cost you. Honestly I don't think the hassle is worth what you would get.

You have spent tons of money building a very unique and specific ride.

In the vast majority of these cases it is always better to fix it and drive it for awhile. Then decide what to do.

Either way you know your not getting anywhere close to what you have into it.

What about building the engine?
Perfect time to upgrade to the big blower on big boost and start chasing 9's.

That option, while costing another big chunk of change, is probably the only way you are going to feel good about this.

On the other hand if you are just sick of the hassle and bored with the ride, just dump it ASAP for whatever you can get and just erase her from the memory banks.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM

2004 SL55
Has your buddy gotten the ruckus off of his jeans and recovered from getting run over by the pit bike? I hope he's okay.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
your car is worth about 15k as is.

good luck
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Sal is/was a pioneer for this platform. Whatever you decide, good luck brotha! That is one of thee baddest SLs to ever run down the strip.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Sorry to hear this bad news about piston #8. You did a very nice conversion however, it's still 2003 with 100K miles. The modes don't really add up much value so you might want to remove and sell them separately. At the current condition, IMO worth no more than $12K so just fix it and continue drive it. You did a very nice conversion and for the next engine just add the loop fuel to prevent happening again. ABC system was replaced already 3 years ago so not adding much value in here. If you fix the engine, the car should worth $28k. Anyway, you got a nice car and good luck with your decision !
Thanks for reply. I didnt include in my mods list but to make this more of a mystery is that I do have looped fuel rail. I havent ran my car hard since the "Airport Runs" a year ago or so. Maybe after years of 1/4 mile runs + highspeed airport runs it was slowly getting worst?

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Car won't be worth more than 25k with 100k. I seen a 04 with 67k on it going for around 29k. I would just keep it and drive it till it dies at this point.
Thanks for reply. Drive it till it dies LOL. Honestly I can see your point. The amount of money I will get versus just keeping it in the garage at this point might make more sense.

Originally Posted by RAWAMG
If you do part it out I might be interested in some parts. That said FIX IT & KEEP IT!
Cool. I have some inquiries on parts and will keep you in the loop. I should have a better idea on what I want to do next week.

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Your in a tough spot.

If the engine was in top shape, how long would you keep it?

Many of the mods are going to be difficult/impossible to swap out. And unfortunately the ones you could would be worth a fraction of what they cost you. Honestly I don't think the hassle is worth what you would get.

You have spent tons of money building a very unique and specific ride.

In the vast majority of these cases it is always better to fix it and drive it for awhile. Then decide what to do.

Either way you know your not getting anywhere close to what you have into it.

What about building the engine?
Perfect time to upgrade to the big blower on big boost and start chasing 9's.

That option, while costing another big chunk of change, is probably the only way you are going to feel good about this.

On the other hand if you are just sick of the hassle and bored with the ride, just dump it ASAP for whatever you can get and just erase her from the memory banks.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks for reply If the engine was in top shape I've always said to myself that I would never sell my car but with cylinder #8 going bad has me thinking other wise. I guess I am kinda sick of it and over it modding, repairs, shop visits, etc. Had the car for 8 years now and been modded/driven hard since then. This is longest I've ever owned a car so I guess this repair of cylinder #8 was a long time coming. Got some thinking to do.

Originally Posted by BobLibSL55
Has your buddy gotten the ruckus off of his jeans and recovered from getting run over by the pit bike? I hope he's okay.

Mercedes SL55 AMG vs Mercedes C63 AMG My bro gets run over by pit bike - YouTube
LOL Nice find. Not my buddy but Im glad he survived the incident.

Originally Posted by alx
your car is worth about 15k as is.

good luck
Thanks for post. If you are right then it doesnt look like I will sell as is.

Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Sal is/was a pioneer for this platform. Whatever you decide, good luck brotha! That is one of thee baddest SLs to ever run down the strip.
Thanks bro The way this thread is going it looks like my only options are either part out and sell or just keep the sucker in my garage. We'll see
Old 04-05-2013, 07:43 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Absolutely. Selling as is is worst case. You have some expensive parts tacked on a broken car. This makes them pretty much worth zero.

My advise is fix engine and keep it. It has already lost all the money it will lose and I am sure there is a lot of blood, tears and money into that thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Hell of a car brotha, sad to see it go. I actually have your black clk and Hoosier slicks. What's nice about your car that people may not have thought about is, banks will still loan full retail value regardless of the motors condition. That is huge in terms of finding the right buyer wanting to build the bottom end from the get go. I would not give the car away bro, be patient and you should do ok. I would be interested in the block if you part it out.

Last edited by chawkins2001; 04-05-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Problem is no bank will touch a 10 year old car.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by alx
Problem is no bank will touch a 10 year old car.
+1
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Fix it, it's a nice car!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 Wagon, E550 Conv
Some credit unions will still finance it as long as the buyer has strong credit
Old 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Smalone01
Some credit unions will still finance it as long as the buyer has strong credit
7 years is the max fo most credit unions. And they will require a pre- purchase inspection which this car as is will not pass.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Take time out - put in the garge for now - buy another car just to get around and next year you will look differently ........... you have a very beautiful car ...... the time and money spend on it should not be wasted ...... from my point of view it's invested even if number 8 it's gone........... good luck
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by alx
Absolutely. Selling as is is worst case. You have some expensive parts tacked on a broken car. This makes them pretty much worth zero.

My advise is fix engine and keep it. It has already lost all the money it will lose and I am sure there is a lot of blood, tears and money into that thing.
Haha Yup thats the truth right there.

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Hell of a car brotha, sad to see it go. I actually have your black clk and Hoosier slicks. What's nice about your car that people may not have thought about is, banks will still loan full retail value regardless of the motors condition. That is huge in terms of finding the right buyer wanting to build the bottom end from the get go. I would not give the car away bro, be patient and you should do ok. I would be interested in the block if you part it out.
Thanks bro. You really have my drag setup? I dont remember to well did I sell them to you LOL? Anyways glad to see that setup is still hitting the payment

Yeah I have come to my senses. Was upset about the whole #8 going bad but had time to sit back and think so no fire sale. Unless I get offered an amount that is reasonable in my eyes, but most likely be unrealistic in other peoples mind, I would now much rather just have it in my garage and buy another Benz. Especially at the values noted above in this thread, its a no brainer and rather keep car.

Originally Posted by Hulk
Fix it, it's a nice car!
Thanks brotha. I am seriously starting to lean towards keeping it after taking some time to cool off.

Originally Posted by amok55amg
Take time out - put in the garge for now - buy another car just to get around and next year you will look differently ........... you have a very beautiful car ...... the time and money spend on it should not be wasted ...... from my point of view it's invested even if number 8 it's gone........... good luck
Thanks for reply "Time Out" taken. Now I got to find a daily replacement.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM

SL55 AMG
All PM's replied to. At this point guys I am willing to sell only at a resonable price up until I find an engine and/or start repairs then I will just keep it.

Thanks for all the replies, PM's and honest opinions. Appreciated
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Would these be them

Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Would these be them

LOL. Looks like them