SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 Quaife Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
SL65 Quaife Review

So I haven't had time to put my LSD when I purchased it last month until this week when I was fixing both my struts. It cost about 1300 for the SL65 LSD and will take about 8 hours of labor.

Make sure you either buy the installation kit from Quaife for this LSD or make sure your parts guy at Mercedes gets you the right carrier bearings. (Mine gave me 2 different sets and both were two small) If your lucky and your bearing on your stock LSD is still good you can use that otherwise you can't finish until you get that part.

Both your OEM seals will prob will done the moment you pry them out so you will need new seals.

Use the DIY Thread, it will save you a lot of time as the book time is 14 hours and they want you to drop the whole axle, but with the DIY thread you can save 6 hours and not drop the whole axle.

After I had it installed and did a few pulls on some empty roads near my shop I can say the car hooks 1000x times better, don't have to be as gentle in the throttle as much anymore starting in first gear and you wont a crazy fish tail as much.

Was it worth it? Yes the 2 grand was worth it for this upgrade. It even handles a lot better in the bends. The LSD helps keep the car very straight.

Next upgrade is Renntech Toe Links as they are the only ones who make them for the R230. I'm really curious with the LSD and Toe Links I'll prob have 0 fish tails.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
That's good to know, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Faraz, I checked Tracking #'s on IC's I sent you, says you got them right?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
Where is the DIY post for the Limited slip?

Where is the DIY post for the Limited slip?

Saving 6 hours sounds great...
Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTS-V
Originally Posted by V12TTenthusiast
So I haven't had time to put my LSD when I purchased it last month until this week when I was fixing both my struts. It cost about 1300 for the SL65 LSD and will take about 8 hours of labor.

Make sure you either buy the installation kit from Quaife for this LSD or make sure your parts guy at Mercedes gets you the right carrier bearings. (Mine gave me 2 different sets and both were two small) If your lucky and your bearing on your stock LSD is still good you can use that otherwise you can't finish until you get that part.

Both your OEM seals will prob will done the moment you pry them out so you will need new seals.

Use the DIY Thread, it will save you a lot of time as the book time is 14 hours and they want you to drop the whole axle, but with the DIY thread you can save 6 hours and not drop the whole axle.

After I had it installed and did a few pulls on some empty roads near my shop I can say the car hooks 1000x times better, don't have to be as gentle in the throttle as much anymore starting in first gear and you wont a crazy fish tail as much.

Was it worth it? Yes the 2 grand was worth it for this upgrade. It even handles a lot better in the bends. The LSD helps keep the car very straight.

Next upgrade is Renntech Toe Links as they are the only ones who make them for the R230. I'm really curious with the LSD and Toe Links I'll prob have 0 fish tails.

Seems like your jumping around. What ever happened to your intake issue? Still on stock air box?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Bring it to MIR on the 28th! I might go tomorrow if you want to roll
Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I have only heard good things about the toe links. It sucks though that EvoSport is out and the only option are pricey RT toe links.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Originally Posted by Thericker
Faraz, I checked Tracking #'s on IC's I sent you, says you got them right?
Yep got them on Thursday now I'm working out how to do to the plumbing and referring to pics Brabus posted

Originally Posted by ttboost
Seems like your jumping around. What ever happened to your intake issue? Still on stock air box?
No more stock air box using a custom 3 Inch intake for now, but will be fabbing a few more different types of intakes. Did the LSD since I was waiting for the shop to have time to fix the 2 front struts. (Warranty down time and waiting on Arnott struts to arrive).

I tried doing a dyno run with bad struts and the car would do a crazy rodeo at high speeds so we thought it was best to wait till the ABC was fixed which was on Thursday. But car is ready to go for dyno next week

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Bring it to MIR on the 28th! I might go tomorrow if you want to roll
I didn't get a chance to read this until today. But I'll def bring it out by the 28th everything seems good to go, Ill port out the TB s little which wont take long, and a trunk tank is pretty simple but I will see if I get my new top mount inter coolers ready to go by then or not but if it's not ready I'll wait to finish them and get a few passes. Also should have a Q16 tune ready by then

Originally Posted by cal1
I have only heard good things about the toe links. It sucks though that EvoSport is out and the only option are pricey RT toe links.
I found a vendor that still has Evosport Toe Links but they want the same cost for Renntech. I know if the Renntech Toe Links go out at least I can go complain at someone but if the Evosport go out I'm out of luck. I'm gonna try to see if I can haggle the price down