SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SL65 R230
Traction Control - ESP disabled and going into limp mode at WOT can also come from a dying comfort battery in the trunk. I experienced this on my car. With new battery problem was solved...

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Traction Control - ESP disabled and going into limp mode at WOT can also come from a dying comfort battery in the trunk. I experienced this on my car. With new battery problem was solved...

Good luck!
Yup... I found the same exact thing to be true Excellent point to bring up..
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
Any more updates?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
yeah it made a bagillion hp & they all lived happily never after..
Edit: I'd be shocked to see a dyno from this showing even 600 whp..
Old 06-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Just waiting for space to open up at my shop, they did tuning for the Weistec SL63 for wanna go fast last week of may, current they have 2 Alpha 7s GTRs, 1200 whp GTR, and a wide body 997 GT3 taking up space in the shop trying to get ready for Mpact I asked if they have space from 24th to the July 4th weekend but I won't know till Monday/Tuesday, If not it goes in after the 6th for sure.

I mean I already posted a dyno of exhaust and intake with tune doing over 600 whp so idk what the jabs are for. I mean I at least am getting progress on my build unlike someone here who kept talking for years about about big turbo kit and in the end bashed the same tuner for years of empty promises.

I at least did something with my car most people on this platform rarely try instead of being all talk about a kit that never got done in the end. I mean this is the same bashing over and over, you talked out cutouts couldn't be done on our platform and sure enough I did with proof, you talk about how and engine drop cost 4k of labor, um wrong again idk where you got that number but its 20 hr book time on Alldata which is a reliable source shops use to calculate labor cost so people don't get screwed over paying these so called 4k labor cost. You can get the engine removed, heads removed, heads cleaned, and everything re installed at 41 hour book rate. Plus my car isn't my top priority in my life.

Your the last person to talk on this thread after what 3-4 years of a big turbo kit that never got done cause in the end you called Speedriven a load of BS. In the end considering its only been 10 months on this project compared to your 4 years I think I made a lot more progress. But you don't see me calling you out for years of sh*t that never got done.

I mean if it doesn't work at least I tried, Its more then you can say Thericker with your big turbo build.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by V12TTenthusiast
Just waiting for space to open up at my shop, they did tuning for the Weistec SL63 for wanna go fast last week of may, current they have 2 Alpha 7s GTRs, 1200 whp GTR, and a wide body 997 GT3 taking up space in the shop trying to get ready for Mpact I asked if they have space from 24th to the July 4th weekend but I won't know till Monday/Tuesday, If not it goes in after the 6th for sure.

I mean I already posted a dyno of exhaust and intake with tune doing over 600 whp so idk what the jabs are for. I mean I at least am getting progress on my build unlike someone here who kept talking for years about about big turbo kit and in the end bashed the same tuner for years of empty promises.

I at least did something with my car most people on this platform rarely try instead of being all talk about a kit that never got done in the end. I mean this is the same bashing over and over, you talked out cutouts couldn't be done on our platform and sure enough I did with proof, you talk about how and engine drop cost 4k of labor, um wrong again idk where you got that number but its 20 hr book time on Alldata which is a reliable source shops use to calculate labor cost so people don't get screwed over paying these so called 4k labor cost. You can get the engine removed, heads removed, heads cleaned, and everything re installed at 41 hour book rate. Plus my car isn't my top priority in my life.

Your the last person to talk on this thread after what 3-4 years of a big turbo kit that never got done cause in the end you called Speedriven a load of BS. In the end considering its only been 10 months on this project compared to your 4 years I think I made a lot more progress. But you don't see me calling you out for years of sh*t that never got done.

I mean if it doesn't work at least I tried, Its more then you can say Thericker with your big turbo build.
lol hit a nerve ehh you've been on their back, back, back, burner on list of things to get done for what? a yr + now? When did you post a legit dyno showing 600 whp on your 65? last progress u showed was a dyno POST all these mods @ 580 something whp I cant control speedrivens FALSE CLAIMS & BS promises lol my local Dealership quoted me between $3500-$4500 to remove & install turbs/manifolds not making it up klown dik

Please show us/me this 600+whp POST IE after ALL eng/head etc etc work was completed I remember you slobbering on wishing to NET 700-800+ whp after ALL this Frankensh_t mod list that has/was ALREADY TRIED BY ANOTHER MEMBER 5 yrs ago he only saw 580-600 whp you'll NEVER see a TRUE 700-800 WHP W/out REAL TURBO SWAP IE GT30-GT35'S but that too seems as Speedriven ONLY PRODUCED 1 real Sl65 showing that hp no matter what they say (they've had umpteen big turbo builds other customers don't post on the web is utter BS)

Marcin kept that poor guys SL for 2-3 yrs before supposedly finally finishing it & actually had to detune it as the power wasn't reliable @ 800 whp so detuned to 700 odd whp & that was utilizing GT30's w/real manifolds ala' shorty style headers you'll never see that type of power w/out those upgrades the TINY RESTRICTIVE STK MANIFOLDS wont support it, even if you could get a gt30 bolted to lame cast manifolds it causes catastrophic backfires (direct quote from Marcin the great) enjoy living in your dream world you're so far from the 1st to try any of these mods please stfup ALL you know about the subject is what EC tells you which is obviously next to nothing..

Ohh ya your cut outs are not in the same PRE CAT LOCATION I & OTHERS TOLD YOU COULDN'T BE FITTED, you had your shop install them way down stream post cats big fukn deal who wants that?? the idea is to get more power & superior engine notes by installing cut outs BEFORE THE CATS.. Again showing your superior knowledge on the subject claiming you did this lol..

Last edited by Thericker; 06-21-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I wish my IATs were that low, I'm not getting a reading below 160-170 at wot. And this was during 40-50 degree weather. I'm hoping its the pump and and the 02 sensors. I'm honesty surprised to see Star go so in depth to the problem of the O2s, they either gave the age/corrosion error or electrical fault error for each of the O2s, Got the big F error for the IC pump. I'm hoping by this week I when I fix the 02s, IC pump and Conductor Plate I can see if that fixes the issue or I need to keep looking?

If that doesn't fix it then maybe its a boost leak but I didn't hear any loud whistles. A boost leak should make alot of noise right?
A glimpse of your know how on anything related to these rigs, you thought/think you find boost leaks by tracking down loud whistles

& the only Post Dyno you mentioned (didn't even post it so who knows if this is even true? was as I remembered 580 whp, what BS are you smoking saying you made 600 anything?

Best I got is 581 timing is pulling really bad. I tried poping the filters off thinking maybe its an intake problem like I had when I did a new exhaust and stock airboxes which dropped to 490s at the time. But no filters just gained 3-5 hp so that wasnt it. When it pulled on the dyno the CEL pops up on WOT runs. The only know problems I know of so far are all 4 02 sensors are bad, rear dont matter but the front controls the fuel tirm. Tested the IC pump and its just done, which Im kinda getting pissed being my 5th pump now to buy and might try that meizere pump (however you spell it). That and the conductor plate is toast at this point.

I ordered all the parts today should see them prob midweek. I got more dyno time next friday and hopefully will see what it does. If I get lean readings still then I might have to check the injectors and swap the fuel filter. Only other thing I can think of after fixing all that is maybe a boost leak but I dont hear any loud whistles.

Im really hoping its the 02s and the pump thats holding back timing. I did some more data logging today and tested at cold start in 40 degree weather with coolant temp at 160 but it quickly shot up to 195-205 and at 1 point even to 211 and that was only after 15 mins. Crusing at 60-70 mph only dropped it to 185s, but basicly ive been driving with a really heat soaked car without knowing it lol. By next week when I get all the bugs taken cared off should either solve the problem or narrow what I need to address next
Old 06-21-2015, 05:07 PM

06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Dude can you read? I said I posted the 600+ whp with intake, exhaust and tune, and even then you bashed it, even tho other 65 owners posted same 635-645 whp gain on a Dynojet. Then when I compared what Zax got you called BS, even Speedriven chimed it with a dyno sheet of 700 whp on pump gas with exhaust/intake/tune/billet turbos which they also show on there website.

Really getting your labor quotes from a dealer? Who installs any performance stuff at the stealership besides the basic? I don't claim to know everything but getting quotes from the dealer? And saying stuff can't be done like cutouts on our platforms or hitting 700 whp when your own tuner you been behind for so long said it's been done with billets. I mean I'm not the one who gave the down payment for 3+ years and in the end didn't get anything out of it, I mean who does that?

All you do is bash on peoples threads thinking you know everything, Maybe your car is number one priority but everyone else that I keep in touch with the forums know I'm busy with my masters degree, work, getting married, and building my house. You can talk all you want but telling me how I just believe stuff I told, sounds like someone I know would took that bait and held on for 4 years. So before you bash on other peoples stuff take a look at your own progress. Your the only D bag on the R230 threads that bashes everyone and we all know it, you don't see anyone acting like there 15 on this R230 section talking crap about other peoples cars.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Dude can you read? I said I posted the 600+ whp with intake, exhaust and tune, and even then you bashed it, even tho other 65 owners posted same 635-645 whp gain on a Dynojet. Then when I compared what Zax got you called BS, even Speedriven chimed it with a dyno sheet of 700 whp on pump gas with exhaust/intake/tune/billet turbos which they also show on there website.

Really getting your labor quotes from a dealer? Who installs any performance stuff at the stealership besides the basic? I don't claim to know everything but getting quotes from the dealer? And saying stuff can't be done like cutouts on our platforms or hitting 700 whp when your own tuner you been behind for so long said it's been done with billets. I mean I'm not the one who gave the down payment for 3+ years and in the end didn't get anything out of it, I mean who does that?

All you do is bash on peoples threads thinking you know everything, Maybe your car is number one priority but everyone else that I keep in touch with the forums know I'm busy with my masters degree, work, getting married, and building my house. You can talk all you want but telling me how I just believe stuff I told, sounds like someone I know would took that bait and held on for 4 years. So before you bash on other peoples stuff take a look at your own progress. Your the only D bag on the R230 threads that bashes everyone and we all know it, you don't see anyone acting like there 15 on this R230 section talking crap about other peoples cars.
Hey pull ur head outtta ur ***, the dyno ur referring to doesn't count 1 bit Sherlock, let me jog ur memory, you removed the ENTIRE OEM INTAKE/AIRBOXES to falsely skew that dyno gain @ 600 whp, I & others told you it would go badly backwards w/heatsoak once you tried SHUTTING THE HOOD w/no intakes.. & to redyno you NEVER REPORTED BACK OR EVER SUBMITTED A REAL LEGIT 600 WHP DYNO W/HOOD CLOSED.. Try closing ur mouth now as you're obviously completely lost as far as modifying ANY car period lol busy ehh? you look more caught up & busy spewing utter BS on things you know ZERO ABOUT, but please edify me further on modifying V12's by removing any air intake & tracking down boost leaks looking for loud whistles lol ur soo lost just quit..

Last edited by Thericker; 06-21-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:26 PM

Dude other people with 65s with same mods got the same results, Racehorse managed to have the same mods and got the same results.

Really cap locks? Sounds like someone angry sounds like someone doesn't like to hear the truth

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
You guys are nuts!!!! Let him build his car and then we will see what he actually gets. It seems like you guys forgot how to look at naked ladies on your computer...There is alot more out there on this here internet.LOL Anyway, almost all builds take previous success and try to tweak a little more out of it. Fabricators have their own approach as do tuners, so who knows what the variations will produce. Hopefully we will have trap speeds to compare since all the dyno talk back and forth becomes meaningless and discredited. Good luck with the remainder of the build.
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Race Horse said it right. Great thread from V12Enthusiast, let him make the build and share it here with us.Good Luck!
Originally Posted by F1BHP
Thericker you say you are trying to help but you are just dampening the enthusiasm of a fellow members build. Let's see what the outcome is then we can comment on the results. Good luck to all.
Originally Posted by r_martin126
Seems like more than a few of us think your a pest. Just copy and paste a few more spec sheets and leave out your comintary from now on.

You know who you are.
Dude page 2-3 just dedicated to you, no one cares what about you commentary obviously. Sure we might see this on C63 or E55 forums of this bickering back and forth, but on the SL55/63/65 it's just you dude.

Sorry to burst your bubble a whistle sound can be symptom of a boost leak, just search any turbo car thread. The fact that Dan at Mach V who's been in the business for decades and has well know rep in the DMV area told me about that, yeah I think i'll listen to his advice.

Finally a post from your boys

Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Seeing our name tossed around a lot in this thread so here is some clarification on the numbers aspect. This is base boost on pump gas.

For various reasons, not all information is available to the general public but you should get a pretty good idea of what is going on if you know how to read these.

As previously stated, Jody's runs were done on pump gas 5+ years ago and a lot has changed since then.
And also posted on there website, under package 3

http://speedriven.wpengine.com/65-series-biturbo-amg/

It obviously seems no one wants to deal with you so going back to all of page 2-3 that was dedicated to you, if all you have to say is no productive crap then like everyone that said it, you can just keep it to yourself
Old 06-21-2015, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Dude other people with 65s with same mods got the same results, Racehorse managed to have the same mods and got the same results.

Really cap locks? Sounds like someone angry sounds like someone doesn't like to hear the truth

Dude page 2-3 just dedicated to you, no one cares what about you commentary obviously. Sure we might see this on C63 or E55 forums of this bickering back and forth, but on the SL55/63/65 it's just you dude.

Sorry to burst your bubble a whistle sound can be symptom of a boost leak, just search any turbo car thread. The fact that Dan at Mach V who's been in the business for decades and has well know rep in the DMV area told me about that, yeah I think i'll listen to his advice.

Finally a post from your boys

And also posted on there website, under package 3

http://speedriven.wpengine.com/65-series-biturbo-amg/

It obviously seems no one wants to deal with you so going back to all of page 2-3 that was dedicated to you, if all you have to say is no productive crap then like everyone that said it, you can just keep it to yourself
ur quoting a rep from the DMV??? omfg I stand corrected.... you are the single most uninformed helpless SOB I've ever come across on any forum or in the real world.. I had numerous boost leaks & NONE made a whistle noise, they're basically vacuum lines the only way you'd get a whistle is from a malfunctioning BOV or stk Diverter valve.. NOT happening from a conventional boost leak thru broken/cut vacuum lines that connect ALL the boost thru our entire eng bay which are the most common boost leaks found on these v12's the lines in Q are simple thin tubing that gets brittle & cracks easily over short time when coupled to the enormous under hood heat these motors produce..

Now onto Speedrivens supposed 700whp other customers had to utilize full exhaust including cat free dwn pipes, full speedriven big IC'r package w/CAI, Trunk reservoir filled w/ice, hi octane 100+ ECU tune & manipulation of the Diverter Valves making the turbos hold more boost for much longer... Marko did this w/his prior CL65 & listed running 29-30 psi & only made 690 rwhp..

DON'T believe their 700 whp dyno is ONLY RUNNING pump gas 92 in their area or on base boost & only using stg 3 Funny NO existing customer has ever reported 700 whp or shown a dyno w/700whp w/just those mods, absolute lies period, but your a newb & know dik about cars, seriously you quote a DMV rep as an expert on turbos & boost leaks Hell Marcin openly lies w/that 700whp chart he doesn't even list fuel system upgrades inc all upgraded Injectors etc etc

Last edited by Thericker; 06-21-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:36 PM

Wow if that's the case then what took you 4 years to finally get your money back after being so supportive over the years now you call them Speedriven BS, this is the same guy who said they were the experts in V12, either they always been BSing or they always been experts which is it lmao. But you see it your self they said pump gas 700 whp.

The fact that you gave someone your money to someone for 4 years for a bag of promises, is the biggest laugh. Even today you still got that big turbo kit in your comment, sure I might of paid for something that might not of worked if it doesn't but at least I got something out of it, better than letting my deposit sit for 4 years that could of been spent somewhere else for a better return. If I'm funny your hilarious. I mean who does give someone there money for that long and gets nothing is the funniest thing I heard.

But the fact of the matter is you add nothing productive just your bashing back and forth and we all post to back it up no one cares in the end what Thericker is constant bashing. These threads are meant to discuss among members and share findings, not to bash them every second they can get whether its about peoples opinion about the wheels they get, the body kits they buy, what other people do to there looks or mods, its just one unproductive thing out of another from you all.

I mean we could of all joked about how 4 years you gave Speedriven your money, how you were there biggest cheerleader on so many forums, calling them the experts in V12s. But no one on this section did. We all either wanted to see you pull through or hope for the best in the end. But I think more enough people are thinking what I'm saying, and some already have, just keep your comments to yourself no one cares more, all you do is bash.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Wow if that's the case then what took you 4 years to finally get your money back after being so supportive over the years now you call them Speedriven BS, this is the same guy who said they were the experts in V12, either they always been BSing or they always been experts which is it lmao. But you see it your self they said pump gas 700 whp.

The fact that you gave someone your money to someone for 4 years for a bag of promises, is the biggest laugh. Even today you still got that big turbo kit in your comment, sure I might of paid for something that might not of worked if it doesn't but at least I got something out of it, better than letting my deposit sit for 4 years that could of been spent somewhere else for a better return. If I'm funny your hilarious. I mean who does give someone there money for that long and gets nothing is the funniest thing I heard.

But the fact of the matter is you add nothing productive just your bashing back and forth and we all post to back it up no one cares in the end what Thericker is constant bashing. These threads are meant to discuss among members and share findings, not to bash them every second they can get whether its about peoples opinion about the wheels they get, the body kits they buy, what other people do to there looks or mods, its just one unproductive thing out of another from you all.

I mean we could of all joked about how 4 years you gave Speedriven your money, how you were there biggest cheerleader on so many forums, calling them the experts in V12s. But no one on this section did. We all either wanted to see you pull through or hope for the best in the end. But I think more enough people are thinking what I'm saying, and some already have, just keep your comments to yourself no one cares more, all you do is bash.
Jeez ur a blowhard do u ever STFUP? I mean I thought you were soooo busy w/the finer pursuits in life vs scrawling ur life story in ur Farzi broken English Here's ur quote from what an hour ago??
I'm busy with my masters degree, work, getting married, and building my house.
Add reading some Chilton repair manuals & educate yourself before posting again
*http://www.chilton.cengage.com/

PS what shady web based mail order bride site did you use to find a Fiance'? lol I've only talked w/you over the web briefly & already considered shooting myself, I can't imagine any normal woman willingly marrying you...

Last edited by Thericker; 06-21-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SL65 R230
Thericker...

Please stop this bull**** and bashing here. It is enough now, for my taste.

Let this guy make his build - and he is right: There are more important things in life than cars. This is only talking hobby.No reason to get this personal.

Just , my 2 cents...
Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
Thericker is at it again??? Sean must make a negative comment on every post!

Thericker/Sean needs to get a life! He has over 9,000 posts on this site alone... Is it just me or is 9,015 long posts on one site a little excessive from one person?

This forum is for discussions by guys who are just trying to improve, repair and/or learn more about the R230s....

Porting and Polishing is a time proven performance upgrade. How much HP will be realized from the M275 no one knows at this point. But it sure as hell will not hurt anyone if V12TT wants to spend his time and money trying something new! What will Sean say if there is a 50HP gain?

R&D is always a trial and error approach to testing design changes to find out what works and what does not. Lots of designs on paper show no HP gains but in the real world net huge improvements!

People thought Jim Hall was out of his mind putting a wing on a race car in 1966... Obviously we all learned putting a wing on a race car was a huge mistake? Yeah right!

If 10 years ago I told Thericker a Diesel would someday WIN LeMans outright (repeatedly) I bet Thericker being an absolute authority on everything mechanical would have said that is IMPOSSIBLE! And that I was absolutely out of my mind, Crazy... But the folks at Audi must not have gotten that memo...

Thericker standing on a soapbox AGAIN screaming "that will never work" is ridiculous.

We should all ignore his comments.

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 06-22-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
Thericker/Sean needs to get a life! He has over 9,000 posts on this site alone... Is it just me or is 9,015 long posts on one site a little excessive from one person?

This forum is for discussions by guys who are just trying to improve, repair and/or learn more about the R230s....

Porting and Polishing is a time proven performance upgrade. How much HP will be realized from the M275 no one knows at this point. But it sure as hell will not hurt anyone if V12TT wants to spend his time and money trying something new! What will Sean say if there is a 50HP gain?

R&D is always a trial and error approach to testing design changes to find out what works and what does not. Lots of designs on paper show no HP gains but in the real world net huge improvements!

People thought Jim Hall was out of his mind putting a wing on a race car in 1966... Obviously we all learned putting a wing on a race car was a huge mistake? Yeah right!

If 10 years ago I told Thericker a Diesel would someday WIN LeMans outright (repeatedly) I bet Thericker being an absolute authority on everything mechanical would have said that is IMPOSSIBLE! And that I was absolutely out of my mind, Crazy... But the folks at Audi must not have gotten that memo...

Thericker standing on a soapbox AGAIN screaming "that will never work" is ridiculous.

We should all ignore his comments.
So why don't you follow your own advice & ignore me? Instead of sticking your big snout in here wailing like a child, moaning for me to get a life etc Like you're any type of roll model around here lol Wasn't it you who took it upon yourself to attack my build 3-4 yrs ago, you called Misha to ask about my build, then lied about me having totalled my car etc??? You're a real piece of work guy, I had to get the mods to remove your incorrect slanderous posts against me/& my SL ? Remember yet.. Ohh holy one? You went off for no good reason except that I wouldn't sell you my stock AMG body panels etc??? Hypocrite

AMG-Driver you're correct, & I'm sorry for reacting & will cease etc... I shouldn't of reacted to the OP's clear misinterpreting my innocent joke on this thread never baring fruit so to speak well.. That is until Exmalibu chimed in I guess that's enough fruit for the day..

Last edited by Thericker; 06-22-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Thericker
So why don't you follow your own advice & ignore me? Instead of sticking your big snout in here wailing like a child, moaning for me to get a life etc Like you're any type of roll model around here lol Wasn't it you who took it upon yourself to attack my build 3-4 yrs ago, you called Misha to ask about my build, then lied about me having totalled my car etc??? You're a real piece of work guy, I had to get the mods to remove your incorrect slanderous posts against me/& my SL ? Remember yet.. Ohh holy one? You went off for no good reason except that I wouldn't sell you my stock AMG body panels etc??? Hypocrite

AMG-Driver you're correct, & I'm sorry for reacting & will cease etc... I shouldn't of reacted to the OP's clear misinterpreting my innocent joke on this thread never baring fruit so to speak well.. That is until Exmalibu chimed in I guess that's enough fruit for the day..
Here you go again, upsetting other members, you have good knowledge
but if people don't agree you lay into them.
Take it easy, and just beg to differ, we are all here for fun and chat, let's
not turn it into a slanging match.
S8.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Porting and polishing can absolutely cause a decrease in hp. It is not always a good thing. The biturbo V12 is limited on the turbo and exhaust manifold side of the engine.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are right. rough surface can transfer fuel mixture better, however on
modern high tech fuel injected heads polishing it is better.
S8
Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Porting and polishing can absolutely cause a decrease in hp. It is not always a good thing. The biturbo V12 is limited on the turbo and exhaust manifold side of the engine.
I'm 100% with you on this one. You can't just take a dremel to a head and expect to gain power. Air flow is really tricky and requires an expert. Its almost like an art! You can easily lose power doing it wrong. Its not just about volume, it's velocity. I'm having a set of heads ported by one of the best right now. Will see what it does later. Unfortunately I don't plan on dynoing and I didn't do a before so the track will have to tell the story. That's what matters to me

Last edited by blackbenzz; 06-23-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Back in the Cosworth days, polishing the head did not give more power, but
it allowed you to run more boost without detonation , and generally the
engine felt smoother.
S8
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by sound 8
Back in the Cosworth days, polishing the head did not give more power, but
it allowed you to run more boost without detonation , and generally the
engine felt smoother.
S8
Ok if you say so
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL600
Keep up the good work V12 and don't let the haters get you down. I'm new to the MB world coming in from years on the SupraForums. I am a little more than taken a back by the level of discourse on what I thought would be a more genteel and refined group. Since I'm new to the board, and looking to stand on the shoulders of giants, I welcome the R&D and advancement of understanding you bring to the table.

Keep us informed in excruciating detail!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by gwelliott
Keep up the good work V12 and don't let the haters get you down. I'm new to the MB world coming in from years on the SupraForums. I am a little more than taken a back by the level of discourse on what I thought would be a more genteel and refined group. Since I'm new to the board, and looking to stand on the shoulders of giants, I welcome the R&D and advancement of understanding you bring to the table.

Keep us informed in excruciating detail!!!
Nice to see a fellow Texan with a V12TT.

Last edited by shardul; 06-24-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I might have missed it, who did the port work on your heads?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work