SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Speedriven BOV: Why 6 Holes are Better Than 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Speedriven BOV: Why 6 Holes are Better Than 3

Speedriven formally introduced the world to their billet aluminum diverter valves (commonly called “blow-off valves“, or BOVs) a few short weeks ago, but the first versions of these clever parts were first put on cars in late 2013, and have undergone over a year of high-octane, real-world testing. The parts have proven their durability- but what is it, exactly, that makes them so clever?

For starters, the factory BOVs used by Mercedes-Benz and AMG on their twin-turbocharged V12 cars are made of plastic. It’s a high-quality plastic, of course- but as the first generation of twin-turbo V12 cars starts to get on in years the plastic is starting to show signs of age, especially around the bolt-holes. Speedriven’s BOVs are machined from aircraft-grade aluminum, which is significantly more durable.

On the factory units, the stem is molded into the plastic “cap” of the diverter valve. This stem can crack and break during service (as shown in the photo, above), and a failure at that point means the entire BOV would need to be replaced. On Speedriven’s BOVs, the stem is, itself, made of high-strength metal, and is threaded into the cap such that- if the stem ever did break- it could be easily replaced without the need to replace the entire BOV assembly.

Finally, the factory BOV from Mercedes features 3 bolt-holes, which perform the dual tasks of holding the two main parts of the BOV together against the force of the mechanism’s internal spring and bolting the assembly to the car. This arrangement means that, in order to install the BOV, the technician has to awkwardly press the BOV parts against the turbo while, at the same time, keeping the bolt-holes aligned with the corresponding threaded holes in the turbo, inserting the bolt, and, finally, screwing in the bolts. That’s a lot to do with only two hands!

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY

The billet Speedriven BOV design has 6 holes instead of 3, which allows the technician to properly place the seals and springs inside the BOV while the assembly is on his bench. Once assembled, the Speedriven BOV is now infinitely easier to install onto a waiting turbocharger.

The Speedriven BOV sounds a lot better, too.

You can see some of the design drawings for Speedriven’s billet aluminum BOVs, below. Once you know what you’re looking at, you can see that it’s clearly a better mousetrap component than the factory Mercedes unit- and, let’s face it: you deserve smarter parts.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Umm.. I'm a little stumped here.. Are there EVER going to be any advancements on releasing the Big Turbo upgrades? You said early last year, you were just waiting on Tial to make some custom Housings to complete your custom Garrett turbos/wheels? on GT30 setups & I was next on the list & would get mine ASAP..

Looks like we shouldn't expect anything to do w/Big Turbo setups?? Just more little parts like Billet oil pans? Billet idler pulley's? & your latest Billet BOV's?

Last edited by Thericker; 03-17-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Thericker
Umm.. I'm a little stumped here.. Are there EVER going to be any advancements on releasing the Big Turbo upgrades? You said early last year, you were just waiting on Tial to make some custom Housings to complete your custom Garrett turbos/wheels? on GT30 setups & I was next on the list & would get mine ASAP..

Looks like we shouldn't expect anything to do w/Big Turbo setups?? Just more little parts like Billet oil pans? Billet idler pulley's? & your latest Billet BOV's?
Hi, Ricker (Thericker?). There's been some different people moving in and out of the front office over the last few months, so you hay have gotten lost in the shuffle. Are you still interested in the bug turbo build? If so, PM me or send me an email- jo@speedriven.com I'm back at the big desk and will make sure you get the info. you need.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Anodized in gold and black ...

Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Yeah you can put it that way I've been promised this big turbo kit for going on 3 yrs now, Marcin knows me lol.. I've been told what you just said too many times I'm truly over it now thanks..
Old 04-17-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 s65 amg
S65 BOV vid or sound clip

You have a video or a sound clip of the difference with your BOV's installed? I'm very interested in a pair for my s65
Old 07-14-2015, 05:47 PM

2008 S600, 2011 Ducati 1198
Old 07-14-2015, 05:49 PM

2008 S600, 2011 Ducati 1198
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
Anodized in gold and black ...

True, a video would be great!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65
I have these installed on my car. No video or sound clip yet, but they sound great!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
SL63, GTR
Originally Posted by boostd
I have these installed on my car. No video or sound clip yet, but they sound great!

Did you install these yourself or have a shop do it? It took me a good 3 hours just to get the stock plastic BOV's out from underneath of the car on a lift. Now I don't see any way possible to install the new ones with the supplied internal hex head bolts. The new BOV's are much taller than the stock units and there's just no way to get any kind socket, allen key, wrench, etc in that extremely tight space to tighten them now. It was hard enough getting the stock units out in that space and now it's even smaller or more limited since the new units are taller.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Diverter valves are just difficult. Use allen head bolts.

Still don't see the point of these things. There are lots of things to worry about on V12TT's, but these aren't high on the list. Its the diaphragms inside the valves that usually fail.

Speedriven BOV:  Why 6 Holes are Better Than 3-diverterdiaphragm_zps67105146.jpg

Nick
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
+1 for a video clip and also any possibility for this on the M157 motors?
Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65
Originally Posted by B Feelgood
Did you install these yourself or have a shop do it? It took me a good 3 hours just to get the stock plastic BOV's out from underneath of the car on a lift. Now I don't see any way possible to install the new ones with the supplied internal hex head bolts. The new BOV's are much taller than the stock units and there's just no way to get any kind socket, allen key, wrench, etc in that extremely tight space to tighten them now. It was hard enough getting the stock units out in that space and now it's even smaller or more limited since the new units are taller.
It's so tight up there. I was able to get the driver side diverter in but wasn't able to tighten it laying under the car. I finally caved and just had my shop do it. I'd say to save yourself the frustration and pay someone else to do it for you.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Banned

Speedriven
We've done it through the hood- not from under. If you have install issues, call the shop. I'll have a tech try to talk you through it.