SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Lowering Links - PICS & Measurements

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55 AMG
Cool SL55 Lowering Links - PICS & Measurements

Hey All!

Finally got around to posting this. I have full details below if you want to copy this height exactly.

I bought the links from here on eBay (username: aptires) $100 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310681653052?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ships out of Tampa, Florida and got here within a week for me in West Palm. Originally I was going to make my own, but after going to ACE Hardware and pricing out the kit to assemble at around $80 in parts, then having to measure heights and all, it's not worth it. Just buy them on eBay, you'll be happy.

"aptires" links on ebay - don't mind bottom left showing attached bolts, it is not included or needed. All ends just pop on to your car's ball joint units.

Comes with a great instruction manual and pictures. Really great thing is they come preset for a 1inch drop all around. If you turn the head twice around it will lower it 1/4th" lower. So in this case, I turned the heads on the front links 4 times longer, and the rears 4 times shorter. This equalled to about 1.5" drop all around.

Installation wise, I did it all completely by hand and some pliers. Both front and rear you don't even need to take the wheels off. Installation time Approx. 30min.

Fronts - Fronts you just jack up the car a little bit and when the wheels sags down a bit you can pop off the stock links. They are seen right on top and behind the wheels. Put the included rubber gromets on the cars ball joints, and clip on the new links. Very easy.

Rears - For these you need to jack it up and get under the car. They are located on your rear control arm. They say you have to remove the plastic covers, covering the rear control arms, but I didn't. I undid the plastic as much as I could without popping off tabs, it just kind of wraps around the control arm and you can unwrap them by hand a bit. Then, for the little rubber gromets you have to install on the ball joints, I just took my pointer and index finger and just barely got it through the hole (you'll see what I mean when you get down there). Slipped them on and then click the links on and good to go.

This is how that looks on a car with 19" wheels.

I'm pretty happy about the height. Riding wise it's a bit stiffer and maybe a bit bouncier in relation. Height wise I haven't scrapped the ground yet, it rides just about the height of curbs. You will hit them at this height, but the bumper will still ride over them (scratching bottom of your bumper at most). I have a front lip coming in soon so I will update on how this all sits with that installed.

Feel free to ask any questions! Glad to help!
Old 07-26-2015, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Thanks for all the info. How does it look when the ride height is set at the highest setting?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:32 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Thanks for all the info. How does it look when the ride height is set at the highest setting?
No problem! It sits about the same as low-mid setting was before.

With the standard 1" drop the manual says your highest setting is what medium was before.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
SL65 AMG
Accurate write up, nice job. I did the links years ago and they met my goals. Like you said the ride is a little bouncier and stiffer but manageable. I'm switching to elm here soon so I'm curious how the ride compares to links.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Lower the front another inch and you're golden !
Old 07-28-2015, 12:00 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by euphoriaDSM
Accurate write up, nice job. I did the links years ago and they met my goals. Like you said the ride is a little bouncier and stiffer but manageable. I'm switching to elm here soon so I'm curious how the ride compares to links.
The ride will be exactly the same.

Originally Posted by MTV10
Lower the front another inch and you're golden !
It actually leveled itself out more since the install and running through the height adjustment a few times. I'll take more pics soon.

Last edited by FlyinFINN; 07-28-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Ive bought 2 sets from ap, and they are as good as any there are. I hope you also have your car aligned after you do this mod to the suspension. The problem with the r230 camber adjustments is a major design flaw with the car. Your camber eats up the tires quickly. Lower it and it makes it worse. You will need to buy the adjusting camber bolts for the front, $75 at dealer, and nothing can be done for the rear. Align the car sa good as possible. You should drive on the highest setting, this maximizes the camber, so align it at the highest setting and this will tell you how, bad, or good the camber is. (but it will be bad)
Old 07-31-2015, 02:20 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by okbarnett
Ive bought 2 sets from ap, and they are as good as any there are. I hope you also have your car aligned after you do this mod to the suspension. The problem with the r230 camber adjustments is a major design flaw with the car. Your camber eats up the tires quickly. Lower it and it makes it worse. You will need to buy the adjusting camber bolts for the front, $75 at dealer, and nothing can be done for the rear. Align the car sa good as possible. You should drive on the highest setting, this maximizes the camber, so align it at the highest setting and this will tell you how, bad, or good the camber is. (but it will be bad)
So no rear camber kits/ adjustable control arms are available for R230? Sounds like an opportunity, I can get them made.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

many have tried and failed, many have produced the parts and none have published any alignment sheets to prove they made a adjustment on the alignment. If you want to buy a 1000 to 2000 dollar item to improve the camber Plus add labor, , you could have bought 3 sets of tires. Its like making a $1000 mod to improve gas mileage, you could pay 30 cents a gallon for gas, over a 10 year period instead
Old 08-01-2015, 08:36 PM

SL55 AMG
many have tried and failed, many have produced the parts and none have published any alignment sheets to prove they made a adjustment on the alignment. If you want to buy a 1000 to 2000 dollar item to improve the camber Plus add labor, , you could have bought 3 sets of tires. Its like making a $1000 mod to improve gas mileage, you could pay 30 cents a gallon for gas, over a 10 year period instead
It's a pretty simple adjustable part. I'll get on this soon.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:25 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550

THERE IS ONLY FRONT AND REAR TOE ADJUSTMENT OEM !

We manufacture “precisely adjustable” Front – Camber and Caster plus Rear – Camber (with extra Toe) adjuster kits.

Similar to what was fitted prior to the mid 90’s.

Kits to suit virtually every Mercedes 1968 to 2015 including all R230 models.

These unique K-MAC patented design replacement bushing kits provide for the 1st time single wrench, precise “ongoing adjustment capability” – on car, accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack!

Resolving once and for all (no going back to dealers or alignment shops or constantly changing tire brands) steering pull, costly, premature edge tire wear – the result of altering height, fitting wide profile tires, wheels, load carrying or curb knock damage. While on race days being able to increase track width and negative Camber to go deeper into the corners with more traction and braking response.

FRONT BUSHINGS have up to 4 times the adjustment of the inaccurate (one only position) Camber bolts and also replace the 4 highest wearing bushes with twice the load bearing area. They eliminate the OEM air voided, oil filled bushes yet retain 2 axis movement. Result is improved brake and steering response.

FOR THE REAR SIMILAR - again can adjust Camber for more even tire wear – then fine tune for maximum traction on track days. Kit includes extra Toe adjustment to compensate for the new Camber facility.

W230 Front Camber and Caster kit #502216K $480
Rear Camber (and extra Toe) #502526K $480

Current promotion for MB World members USA/Canada delivery - $30 one kit or $40 front and rear (normally $70 one kit, $80 front and rear). Can pay by Visa, MasterCard or PayPal.

See link for latest 2015 catalog Audi to Volvo – World’s largest range. http://K-mac.com/mercedes/
Old 08-12-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
As an alternative to lowering links, can't the dealer just adjust the settings to lower the car?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:53 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by SLSL55AMG
As an alternative to lowering links, can't the dealer just adjust the settings to lower the car?

I don't have any personal experience with that. However, whether you do links, a module, or Mercedes doing it - it's all the same thing.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

to have it done by the dealer has poor results. Almost everybody that had it done, the car will eventually return to stock height on its own, the modules accomplish the same thing as links by electronics but cost 10x more. the links can be adjusted by you at home when ever you want. for 0$
Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08' SL55 amg
Kudos to you guys who managed to pop off the stock links. I just gave up trying for fear of breaking the plastic sensor arm or bending the top bracket more than I did.
Maybe mine are corroded since my car has 55k miles and it's been in the N.E.
all it's life. Anyway, someone else can take a turn at this since I'll sell the new links for $60.00 shipped. I payed $100.
I'll add a pic.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08' SL55 amg
These are the links.
Attached Thumbnails SL55 Lowering Links - PICS & Measurements-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
Why does the ABC not freake out with the links, does it not recognize that the car has been forced lower?
Old 09-07-2015, 11:18 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by F1BHP
Why does the ABC not freake out with the links, does it not recognize that the car has been forced lower?
It doesn't know. All the links do is is trick the ABC into thinking it is too high, so it lowers the car as a response.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM

SL55AMG / E55AMG
Has anybody measured the length of the new links. I am making my own and was wondering how much to shorten them by to drop the back end by 1.0".
Thanks
Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just adjust them 5mm at a time and test. the fronts go longer not shorter
Old 04-14-2017, 09:32 AM

SL55AMG / E55AMG
Thanks that will give me a good starting point.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 SLK 320
Originally Posted by FlyinFINN
Hey All!

Finally got around to posting this. I have full details below if you want to copy this height exactly.

I bought the links from here on eBay (username: aptires) $100 shipped: 2003 12 Mercedes Benz SL Class Adjustable lowering Kit Links Suspension eBay

Ships out of Tampa, Florida and got here within a week for me in West Palm. Originally I was going to make my own, but after going to ACE Hardware and pricing out the kit to assemble at around $80 in parts, then having to measure heights and all, it's not worth it. Just buy them on eBay, you'll be happy.

"aptires" links on ebay - don't mind bottom left showing attached bolts, it is not included or needed. All ends just pop on to your car's ball joint units.

Comes with a great instruction manual and pictures. Really great thing is they come preset for a 1inch drop all around. If you turn the head twice around it will lower it 1/4th" lower. So in this case, I turned the heads on the front links 4 times longer, and the rears 4 times shorter. This equalled to about 1.5" drop all around.

Installation wise, I did it all completely by hand and some pliers. Both front and rear you don't even need to take the wheels off. Installation time Approx. 30min.

Fronts - Fronts you just jack up the car a little bit and when the wheels sags down a bit you can pop off the stock links. They are seen right on top and behind the wheels. Put the included rubber gromets on the cars ball joints, and clip on the new links. Very easy.

Rears - For these you need to jack it up and get under the car. They are located on your rear control arm. They say you have to remove the plastic covers, covering the rear control arms, but I didn't. I undid the plastic as much as I could without popping off tabs, it just kind of wraps around the control arm and you can unwrap them by hand a bit. Then, for the little rubber gromets you have to install on the ball joints, I just took my pointer and index finger and just barely got it through the hole (you'll see what I mean when you get down there). Slipped them on and then click the links on and good to go.

This is how that looks on a car with 19" wheels.

I'm pretty happy about the height. Riding wise it's a bit stiffer and maybe a bit bouncier in relation. Height wise I haven't scrapped the ground yet, it rides just about the height of curbs. You will hit them at this height, but the bumper will still ride over them (scratching bottom of your bumper at most). I have a front lip coming in soon so I will update on how this all sits with that installed.

Feel free to ask any questions! Glad to help!
Hey just curious is you needed to realign the car since dropping it ? I see it was mentioned
but I was curious how things worked out for you.
Also what model wheel is that your running. I had similar wheels on my Clk55 years ago. Always liked them.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

anything you do to the suspension you have to get it realigned. But on an older car you also need to get the adjustable camber bolts for the front. This will straighten up the front really well. The rear wont ever be adjustable unless you get the adjustable bushings
those wheels look like replica MB performance pkg wheels
Old 03-03-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Man those 19's look like 20's for some reason. Looks great.

Quick question, are all R230 lowering links the same? I just bought a 2005 SL600 and I'm looking to drop it about 1.25" all around, thanks.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
05E55-05CL500-02E430
Originally Posted by FxFormat
Man those 19's look like 20's for some reason. Looks great.

Quick question, are all R230 lowering links the same? I just bought a 2005 SL600 and I'm looking to drop it about 1.25" all around, thanks.
they are the same