SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 R230 white "SBC BRAKE service Brake visit workshop" erorr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, SL500, SLK320, ML320, CLK 430
SL55 R230 white "SBC BRAKE service Brake visit workshop" erorr

Hi guys, got this error a while back, wondering if its the count down timer on the sbc unit? I checked my brakes for wear, the rear are a litle low and the rotor faces are very smooth , not rough but will need to be changed / turned as they are not flat faced if that make any sense? if i run my fingers across them i feel and can see little valleys, soft as butter but I know they are not as they should be (not like my front brakes), will our cars sense this some how? If it is the counter has anyone tried the counter reset tools sold on amazon or ebay/ have one i can use (for a deposit) till I can buy a new sbc unit?? I get an rpm specific vibration that has been there since i got the car and well before this error light turned on. ANy help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
you could get the warning because of low fluid, or pad wear sensor, or some fault in the pump. depends on how many miles on the brakes, wear of the pads, or not them at all, may be in the pump system.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
On my E55, I got this message just past 100,000 miles. It requires replacement of the SBC unit. Apparently they tend to fail catastrophically and it is therefore a wear part. A very expensive wear part.

It's at my indy right now.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 PM

Brake error

Originally Posted by tscales
On my E55, I got this message just past 100,000 miles. It requires replacement of the SBC unit. Apparently they tend to fail catastrophically and it is therefore a wear part. A very expensive wear part.

I have been researching this, apparently there is a counter built in that triggers too early, I spoke with my mb dealer service advisor and they told me it likely just needed to be reprogrammed/reset. I started to search for "reset SBC counter" and there seems to be a way to reset the counter yourself. If and when it fails you will still have braking power, all hydraulic less the SBC features. I would call your indy before they charge you more than necessary. I found a seller for the sbc rest counter. Ive read people getting close to 200k on them. (I don't think I will shoot for 200k though)

Last edited by Sarc1218; 09-16-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

SBC is a "brake by wire" system. I guess you can call it a wear part, but it does not have signs of wear like say pads and rotors. As such MB/Bosch established a service threshold based on mean time to failure one would presume. MB will replace all SBC units free so long as they have not been in service longer than 10 years. Many of us are beyond that, but thought I would throw it out.

By the way, have your indy read codes for you if he hasn't already. If he can't tell you what they mean, send me a PM. I will pull the info on them for you.

Originally Posted by Sarc1218
I have been researching this, apparently there is a counter built in that triggers too early, I spoke with my mb dealer service advisor and they told me it likely just needed to be reprogrammed/reset. I started to search for "reset SBC counter" and there seems to be a way to reset the counter yourself. If and when it fails you will still have braking power, all hydraulic less the SBC features. I would call your indy before they charge you more than necessary. I found a seller for the sbc rest counter. Ive read people getting close to 200k on them. (I don't think I will shoot for 200k though)
I am far from an expert on the "service threshold reached" issue with SBC, but have done a fair amount of research on it. I have yet to come across anything about the counter triggering too early. As best I can tell, the unit records brake actuations certainly not mileage. Apparently 300,000 actuations is the threshold.

The counter can be reset using a STAR DAS system. There are also dongles being sold out there that will reset the unit. I replaced mine because after fully researching everything SBC does for our cars, I felt it was the only safe thing to do. Others have chosen to reset at there own risk. Do consider the horsepower and weight you will be dealing with if forced to slow down with the back up system only. Expect the peddle to feel almost dead and pedal travel will likely extend all the way to the floor. Oh, and it only applies braking pressure to the front brakes. Could be tons of fun to have SBC fail going around a corner on a cool wet night when the need for a panic stop arises out of nowhere.

By the way, no disrespect, but if your SA advised you that the "service threshold reached" issue just triggered to quickly or just needs to be reset, he is an idiot IMO. If MB knew he was advising customers like that, they would likely fire him. MB wants nothing to do with SBC other than to replace it on their dime if it is less than 10 years in service or replace it on your dime otherwise. Anything else could bring on a massive lawsuit. And trust me. They are coming anyway. Just wait until someone with a reset SBC unit takes out a minvan full of kids because of SBC failure. The driver will say "I hit the brakes but the car would not stop." MB will be on the hook right along with the driver.

Sorry to come off like a dick on this. It is just my opinion and I am very concerned about it.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
Stupid me.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lego
Stupid me.
Huh???
Old 09-20-2015, 02:36 PM

Brake, service brakes error! !!

Thanks for all the replies guys, isn't the brake wear error different? Doesn't it actually say something like "brake wear" I own 5 MB's and I recall the pads on my E500 (or maybe it was my CLK) got low once and the error actually said something about "wear". I'm Active duty , make a comfortable living but far from rich. That being said Mercedes are my passion/hobby and I do all the work on my cars myself my buddy who was a former Mercede tech who used to help me was KIA. So now the forums have been my go to. I love this community! I guess it's about time I put one of my 4 wheeled kids up for adoption and invest in a DAS and a Misha for my SL55 . If it does indeed turn out to be the sbc, anyone know where I can get a good low mileage/rebuilt unit (if they are rebuildable) also are the ebay Das laptop packages any good?
Old 09-20-2015, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Thanks for all the replies guys, isn't the brake wear error different? Doesn't it actually say something like "brake wear" I own 5 MB's and I recall the pads on my E500 (or maybe it was my CLK) got low once and the error actually said something about "wear". I'm Active duty , make a comfortable living but far from rich. That being said Mercedes are my passion/hobby and I do all the work on my cars myself my buddy who was a former Mercede tech who used to help me was KIA. So now the forums have been my go to. I love this community! I guess it's about time I put one of my 4 wheeled kids up for adoption and invest in a DAS and a Misha for my SL55 . If it does indeed turn out to be the sbc, anyone know where I can get a good low mileage/rebuilt unit (if they are rebuildable) also are the ebay Das laptop packages any good?
been meaning to post this for anyone who might hit the service threshold and still be in the 10 years. I know of a few lucky ones.

Yep! the brake wear codes are different.

Regarding DAS Xentry. I bought mine from a forum member. There are tons of them on ebay. You should be able to find a decent one.

Regarding SBC, the cheapest I have seen them is $790 after core at oediscountparts.com The part number is 009431271288. They are all re-manufactured Bosch units if I am not mistaken.

Really sorry to hear about your buddy, by the way.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Just missed it by 'this much'.

I chose to replace it on my E55. The savings to delay wasn't worth my fear every day that my wife drove it with kids in the car.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Just missed it by 'this much'.

I chose to replace it on my E55. The savings to delay wasn't worth my fear every day that my wife drove it with kids in the car.
EXACTLY!!!
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by cal1
EXACTLY!!!
Love how things fail, a few months after the extended warranty.....anyway, 790.00 isn't too bad, I may go that route. Going to take it to an indy to get the actual code read, I may be fretting over a brake switch , which I heard has been known to trigger the same dash error. Man I really need to invest in a DAS / SDS /Xentry I'm sure the return would be worth the money spent.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Love how things fail, a few months after the extended warranty.....anyway, 790.00 isn't too bad, I may go that route. Going to take it to an indy to get the actual code read, I may be fretting over a brake switch , which I heard has been known to trigger the same dash error. Man I really need to invest in a DAS / SDS /Xentry I'm sure the return would be worth the money spent.
For your sake, I am really hoping it is something simple like a brake switch. Funny how so many people are having failures within a few months of the end of the warranty period.

I will say this, the DAS Xenty is worth every penny IMO. Even if you end up using an Indy or dealer to do the work for you, the piece of mind you get is worth it. My system proved out "service threshold reached" (SBC) after doing a bunch of research, I determined the job was over my head. I called the dealership and told them the codes and asked them for a quote. When they got the car, they confirmed I was right and replaced per quoted. Although the job was not cheap, I felt confident they were not blowing smoke up my ****.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Xentry

You are the man Cal ) brings a lot of confidence when a guy knows what he's talking about ... and yes you are right - the most important thing on a vehicle that can move is the breaks: y
Old 06-02-2018, 04:55 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Splitting hairs

I had a white brake warning, about 6 months ago, At the same time I took it in for D service, they told me they updated the SBC, advisor wasn’t specific and the tech had left already, to get specifics. Anyway reading various posts I don’t think the SBC counter is being reset by MB, but the end of life threshold be being moved up, from 300K to 600K, and it makes sense not to reset the counter because how would rhe next service tech know if the counter was reset or not. There is no shared repair database between Dealers. Don’t jump on me for semantics, but there is a big dangerous difference between resetting a counter and resetting a threshold.