SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Something is Missing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something is Missing...

Yes, the SL55 is one of the most complete packages around, but there is something missing, or rather not missing that would make it so much better.

Of course, its weight! If the SL lost a good 2-300 kilos, it would be able to compete with some of the other 'real' sports cars. My question is, has nobody ever produces leightweight components for the SL? Something like a carbon fibre bonnet. Yes ripping some almost useless electric motors would save weight too.

All the lightweight cars have even lighterweight parts to be replaced, but the SL of all cars, as far as i know does not. I am hoping somebody out there can prove me wrong, as I could only dream of an SL weighing 1500kg.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:13 AM

hey I don't know if they are some lightweight components for the sl55k on the market but I have a solution :

buy a new slk 55 and supercharge it!!!!

handle better, faster, cheaper, lighter and with the 7G tronic !!!

Old 02-16-2004, 07:45 AM

lol, now why didnt i think of that! Pity its adapted the SLR nose though, as i dont like it, but i wonder if it could handle all that power? How does the SLK rate in features compared to the SL?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:49 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
The reason why porsche/ferrari weigh so less is that they use extensive alumunium and no sound insulation or toys.

Now Mercedes makes the safest cars, they use heavier metals, also aluminum production is costly, and there are 140 motors in each top of the line Mercedes, ony ONE of which, is the engine.

You want a 300kgs lighter SL?

Buy the SLR, there is no substiture for that car...other than another supercar...
Old 02-17-2004, 01:31 PM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Maybe it's just me...but I've had an R107 and now an R230. One aspect of each of these cars as compared to their counterparts that was a huge deal for me WAS the weight. I like the feel of the car having power but not feeling like a cross wind might blow me off the road. The weight of the car makes me feel much more comfortable "tossing" it around; I know that there is something there behind me to assist in it's stability.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Gunther, it's not just you. I like the weighty feeling also.

I suspect that a high percentage of the SL owners are satisfied with the sporty grand touring luxury feel of the SL. The weight to feel solid, power to push the extra weight arround and the safety sytems to help manage the extra momentum.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:50 AM

sure the SL might have a comfortable 'weight' feel, but once you get to the twisties, it just cannot change direction instantaniously like a ferrari or porsche. Also, loading power into the engine causes wheelspin, whereas a ferrari would just grip and go. This is why it is so hard to make the SL go faster than it already can. And for those who care, it becomes a real fuel guzzler too.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I have Ferraris and I've had Porsches as well as some race cars and I find that the SL55 is brilliant even with the weight.

In fact when I have had the SL at the track (aside from some snide looks from the hard core trackies thinking, "what's this poser doing here in an SL")....the car has absolutely embarassed everything out there...on the straights AND in the corners. The only 2 cars that I have a "challenge" with in the adanced street car group are both heavily modified and on slicks are a C5 Vette and a 993 Turbo....but the SL is bone stock and on street tires.

One does have to adjust one's turn in point as compared to a lighter car but given it's ability as well as how well it's equiped it is a fantastic car. Sometimes it is almost too good! The difference as I see it is in the involvement. With my Indycar as well as the Ferraris there are no driver aids and they have to be 'driven' with skill, whereas the Merc has so many driver aids and electronic stuff that it is really tough to get it wrong.

I've run away from 996's, 360's and 550's on twisty roads so don't sell the 55 short.

Even Ferraris these days (360, 550, etc) have driver aids so it's not a fault of Merc to have them....but I suggest trying the SL with the ESP off...if you want to test your skill! It can be a handful....but very rewarding when you get it right....just like a perfectly executed double clutch downshift in an F or P car.

Accept the SL55 for what it is.....a great, well developed car. I wish that we in the US had access to all the AMG extras that the rest of the world can get!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:12 PM

what are the AMG extra's not available in the U.S???? appart from designo???
Old 02-20-2004, 04:07 AM

Well as i do not own an SL (i wish), or having ever driven one, i am happy to see that there are people who still think the SL is a great drive even with its weight. I have just heard so many negative comments about its weight and all, so i guess the SL is still by far my favourite car!

P.S I have also heard many negative comments on the brake-by-wire brakes, what is you opinion on this?
Old 02-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
R171 looks hot.. AMG that is
Old 02-21-2004, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with vraa ... the R171 (the new SLK) looks hot!

I suspect it will never beat an SL in performance, luxury or handeling. It is not ment to. However it does look great!

A vast improvement over what seemed to be a stunted product for the SLK in the past!

SLK owners ... enjoy!
Old 02-21-2004, 03:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

ChrisB, I am seriously ready to ask my dad to put his name on the list for a AMG R171 for me, I'll drive it around for I believe it is three or four years, then my sister will get it. It makes very good sense in all aspects, but I'm afraid it'll be more than 60k

R171 however, can never touch the R230 in it's honor and prestige, it's another story. Different set audience.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vraa
I am seriously ready to ask my dad to put his name on the list for a AMG R171 for me.
"then my sister will get it. It makes very good sense in all aspects, but I'm afraid it'll be more than 60k "

I doubt if any one will be complaining.

Go for it!
Old 02-21-2004, 03:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

No one but my dad! I don't think he'll like me having a faster car and same with my sister. But I just don't like the looks of any of the other R171's without the quad exhaust!
Old 02-21-2004, 06:30 AM

a agree, although i have only seen pics of the AMG versions of the R171, at first i wasnt to keen, put its really growing on me. I am very interested to see how it will compare to the SL in terms of performance and comfort.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe the next series of SL will have some carbon fiber elements. Following the lead of the SLR.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by ChrisB
Maybe the next series of SL will have some carbon fiber elements. Following the lead of the SLR.
Instead of the next series of the SL, I think they should make it the next series SL AMG. There's no reason why my dad has to sacrifice luxury for weight. He doesn't go racing, but the guy who gets the AMG version of any car, must be doing something with all that power
Old 02-23-2004, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree the SL is a great car - a peerless luxury GT - which offers great day-to-day usability. But, ultimately, the driver aids get in the way to dull the driving experience for the enthusiastic driver.

It's a supremely competent car which can flatter the driver into thinking they are a lot better than they are and it's easy to arrive at a corner going far faster than you really should. Even SL55s have to obey the laws of physics and once you run out of grip or visibility, you're in trouble.

The problem with the SL55 on the road is that the car is never the limiting factor; on a straight road, you are limited by how much you are prepared to break the speed limit; on a twistie, you are limited by how far you see ahead to be able to stop. The SL55 will happily take you round a corner far faster than you can stop from when you find there's a tractor-trailer blocking the road.

Driver enjoyment for me comes from driving and mastering a car which is LESS competent, because you are more likely to discover its foibles and limits. That's why I love my Ferrari - 9 years old - but still delivering a sublime driving experience when I want it. Not something for every day but when I want to be in touch with the car and the smell of the hot engine and ticking of the exhaust after a run, there's no substitute.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally posted by Twinturbo
Well as i do not own an SL (i wish), or having ever driven one, i am happy to see that there are people who still think the SL is a great drive even with its weight. I have just heard so many negative comments about its weight and all, so i guess the SL is still by far my favourite car!

P.S I have also heard many negative comments on the brake-by-wire brakes, what is you opinion on this?
The brake by wire has virtually the same feel as any assisted system. The SL55's brakes are superb...I have however overheated them at the track...I assume...as the brake light and 'slow down' message came up....but I never experienced brake fade. So I'm not sure what the deal was.

Anyway....great brakes!
Old 03-04-2004, 05:48 AM

Interesting to see from someone as much of a driver who has taken the SL55 to the track. What exactly do people who dont like the sytem complain about?

P.S OVerheating, i wonder if those brembo carbon ceramic brakes will help this and, from what i have read on ceramic brakes, improve feel