SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Just got SL65 V12 tuned ! but splattering :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
You say you are loading it. I'm surprised that Eurocharged lets you do that. Is there any way that you loaded it wrong or the file got corrupted? Sorry just asking.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65
Originally Posted by aeroman
You say you are loading it. I'm surprised that Eurocharged lets you do that. Is there any way that you loaded it wrong or the file got corrupted? Sorry just asking.
Loaded fine! It is called "Dimsport Mygenius tool" so once you upload to car it says "file writing completed!" Which it did.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:18 PM

How does that work because I think you need to short a chip in the ECU to get the tune to stay or the car will revert to stock. I am a little thin in this area.

Also, in reading online did you follow the instructions exactly as there are plenty of nightmare stories of not.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 PM

SL65
100% followed correctly , and it went through fine. Usually if it fails it says "error" this said " "file writing successful, press ok to continue"
Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 sl65
Coil packs fail, yours were most likely on there way out anyhow.

You listed that you could have sold them before they failed if you knew this would happen...

pre-tune = swap out for new coils = sell old ones on ebay to someone who could use them...

Ebay buyer gets jacked by you and buys your failing coils.

what are you going to do?

1) Are you going to buy them some new coils, pay the labor and shipping.
2) refund the money they gave you for the coils and tell them sorry I jerked you.
3) Keep their cash, tell them they should have read the MB forums.
4) Take the abuse on the forum because they did not research potential failures of the car that they decided to mod.

I'm sure you are a nice guy and would not sell a failing part to a unsuspecting buyer, so put your self in someone else's shoes.

I read you here blasting someone ( I don't know Jerry.. yet) who seems to provide a legitimate service.
Who provided a service to you as was stated and when you replace both coils will provide exactly what you paid for.

Most of the time a couple of hours of research can be worth thousands of hours (or $)of fixing a bad choice.

A good example of this is the recent debacle with the incorrect choice of rim offset and tire size.
If you had researched the correct plus size of wheel/tire/offset you would not be writing of rolling your front fenders lips.
Are you going to blast the tire shop when your paint cracks?

I would say you have more ground there as they sold you the wrong part for your car ..
But only if they installed them. If not its all on you, you pick the parts and should live up to that.

You bought a car that was 200K when new treat it like that or take your loses when it puts a bulls eye on your check book....
Old 02-05-2016, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 sl65
Also do your plugs at the same time a s a bad plug will take out a new coil much faster than a good tune will.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SL65 R230
For me it sounds that the coil packs were already bad before the tuning. Maybe not so obvious like after the tune - but who knows if the "stock" power was completely there.

When they coils are good, they can handle a "normal" tune without any problems.

If new coils are such a big problem now, maybe tuning a former 200K car is not a good idea for you.

V12 maintenance can be expensive, keep that in mind.

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 02-05-2016 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:16 AM

SL65
I paid for this car maybe more then what half of you guys paid for yours, they still resale in Australia $120k so money is not the principal , it is the fact that it has done damage which was not there previously, and if i was informed that the tune will put this kind of stress causing this type of potential failure, I would of almost certainly not gone with the tune! What are people bringing up irrelevant issues up for ? In regards to my front wheels I am getting better handling and I asked for this and the tyre shop said to me these are wider then stock ! which I still proceeded to go ahead with, this isn't even a proper comparison, big tyres can be removed in a day and the tyre shop can exchange if they misinformed me. But two coil packs at $10,400 is a different story. So first know the position the tuners placed me in before saying the tuner is reputable, three other forum members have also had the same symptoms as mine with the same tuner, other members who got there cars at other tuners have not experienced the same issue. Maybe my coils were out on the way, who knows but they were working just fine before the tune. Looks like Ill just have to get new coils end of story, on another note there is another company that says the coil part number is no different whatsoever to the old part number in terms of resistance or parts (as he is the the rebuilder of them) but says a newer part would obviously be in better shape to handle more stress.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:29 AM

SL65 R230
Where are you located in Australia?

International Autohaus St Zetland has a good reputation with tuned AMG's in Australia.

If I were you, I would let them check your coil packs and make a professional analysis of the error codes etc. and maybe they have some coil packs to test if they are causing the problem.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:47 AM

SL65
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Where are you located in Australia?

International Autohaus St Zetland has a good reputation with tuned AMG's in Australia.

If I were you, I would let them check your coil packs and make a professional analysis of the error codes etc. and maybe they have some coil packs to test if they are causing the problem.

Good luck!
I am not far from them maybe 15 mins drive, I might do this cheers. So far I am looking at this as a resolution for my 4 misfire codes , comes much cheaper then $10k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Cas...hUrBvZ&vxp=mtr

also why hasn't anyone on here attempted this and actually done it already ! then posted a DIY coil repair
Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 AM

SL65 R230
15 min. drive to them sounds good to me...

Good luck and cheers.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:22 AM

SL65
15 min. drive to them sounds good to me...

Good luck and cheers.

I hope they are able to isolate the ECU, Coilpacks and IGN module to diagnosis which one or ones are the fault. Do you know if STAR is able to do this ?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 AM

SL65 R230
I would say yes.

Also very helpful is to have experience with these engines, to interprete certain error codes. But I don't think the tune is the culprit, if everything was uploaded correctly.

I have no doubt, that the "brain" behind International Autohaus (of their ECU-Tunes) can help you with this. He is one of the Best in the business and formerly was working from Germany.

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 02-05-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:32 AM

SL65
I would say yes.

Also very helpful is to have experience with these engines, to interprete certain error codes. But I don't think the tune is the culprit, if everything was uploaded correctly.

I have no doubt, that the "brain" behind International Autohaus (of their ECU-Tunes) can help you with this. He is one of the Best in the business and formerly was working from Germany.
there are a few good people around , but its a matter of someone not just straight away assuming its the Coils, it can be numerous things from what I'm researching, even a bad ground on the transformer. And that could have also taken out the coil packs too! no use just going and buying stuff then blowing them up again , or just replacing everything at once is also just a waste of parts and money. I like to get to the exact issue so I learn and stay well informed on my car
Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by lawrence99
Also do your plugs at the same time a s a bad plug will take out a new coil much faster than a good tune will.
Doing plugs without doing coils will also kill them.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65

I had a single cylinder misfire on my previous 996 Turbo. Did the plugs only and ended up with 3 cylinder misfires. New coils later, everything was good.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:35 AM

SL65
car drove fine after plug change, they are Iridium and gaped from factory to spec
Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by SL65MONSTA
car drove fine after plug change, they are Iridium and gaped from factory to spec

My god man get it through your thick Auzzie skull. Your experience is one thing but there are plenty of others here with different experience. My close friend who has a 2009 SL65 with no tune had new plugs put in by the dealer at a cost of $1600 dollars and within a week both coils fried. If you strengthen one part in a chain the weakest part is sure to fail eventually when you push the system.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM

SL65
My god man get it through your thick Auzzie skull. Your experience is one thing but there are plenty of others here with different experience. My close friend who has a 2009 SL65 with no tune had new plugs put in by the dealer at a cost of $1600 dollars and within a week both coils fried. If you strengthen one part in a chain the weakest part is sure to fail eventually when you push the system.
wow thats one way to say " even though you just placed new plugs, its like a chain they can cause extra strain on the rest of the system" American animals , This happened immediately right after I uploaded my tune, get that through your thick head
Old 02-16-2016, 03:30 PM

wow thats one way to say " even though you just placed new plugs, its like a chain they can cause extra strain on the rest of the system" American animals , This happened immediately right after I uploaded my tune, get that through your thick head
Unfortunately with cars that is the way it works sometimes.

I was cranky this morning and meant no offense about the thickheaded comment.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 viper rt-10, 2007 SL65
Boy Oh Boy! All of you on this forum just dodged a bullet. I must say that I trust everything discussed and recommended regarding my type of car as gospel. When I finally recovered my SL600 from my ex, I went on to purchase my now owned SL65. It's been many years since I have been on the forum, so I went back 10 years and read every thread to bring me up to date. Along the way, I found many things that related to my car that I thought would be useful. One of these nuggets was to use Chevron gas and to quit using the cheap Arco gas. Being a higher grade of gas, my car would perform better and have less chance of problems related to cheap gas. Hell, I even bought a container of Techron and added that as an additive to a full tank of gas. I must say, my car did feel more responsive and maybe even a little quicker! Now I know this was all in my head (the placebo effect) but what the hell! I was happy! Before I even got through the initial tank of gas, as I was leaving Costco, I had problems. When I stated my car, it shook violently. As I drove home, it had no power and had a check engine light on the cluster. When I drove it to the dealer the next day, it was again running smoothly but the check engine light was still on. I told the SA I thought it had acted the same as my SL600 when a coil went out. He said that he also thought it sounded like a coil. Both coils had thrown a code and as it was highly unusual for both to go at once, he investigated further. When he called back, he informed me the problem was the fuel pump and he was ordering a new one for me. What was I to think! I had just changed from cheap gas to a higher rated brand. To add to this, I had thrown in an additive that would further define the difference. My car had been running perfectly!Did my friends on the forum forget to tell me if everything was already running fine, leave well enough alone? Should I have gradually feathered in the better gas and given my car time to adjust, and how stupid was it of me to immediately add the Techron without a proper adjustment period? What other things had I done to my car thinking the advice was benign? Now as I was trying to control my emotions wondering if I could ever again trust the advice of what I thought were knowledgeable owners, the SA called back and said the fuel pump was not necessary as the problem was a frayed wire and no parts of any kind were needed. You have all been vindicated! Happy Days! By the way "Monsta". I thought you would get the joke when I said to look for your common sense in your brain stem as this is the primordial brain and mostly involuntary actions are controlled there ( breathing, heart beating, etc.) I'm not sure where common sense is located, but I think a good guess would probably be the frontal lobe area. G-Day Mate!
Old 02-17-2016, 04:28 AM

SL65
Originally Posted by tandan
Boy Oh Boy! All of you on this forum just dodged a bullet. I must say that I trust everything discussed and recommended regarding my type of car as gospel. When I finally recovered my SL600 from my ex, I went on to purchase my now owned SL65. It's been many years since I have been on the forum, so I went back 10 years and read every thread to bring me up to date. Along the way, I found many things that related to my car that I thought would be useful. One of these nuggets was to use Chevron gas and to quit using the cheap Arco gas. Being a higher grade of gas, my car would perform better and have less chance of problems related to cheap gas. Hell, I even bought a container of Techron and added that as an additive to a full tank of gas. I must say, my car did feel more responsive and maybe even a little quicker! Now I know this was all in my head (the placebo effect) but what the hell! I was happy! Before I even got through the initial tank of gas, as I was leaving Costco, I had problems. When I stated my car, it shook violently. As I drove home, it had no power and had a check engine light on the cluster. When I drove it to the dealer the next day, it was again running smoothly but the check engine light was still on. I told the SA I thought it had acted the same as my SL600 when a coil went out. He said that he also thought it sounded like a coil. Both coils had thrown a code and as it was highly unusual for both to go at once, he investigated further. When he called back, he informed me the problem was the fuel pump and he was ordering a new one for me. What was I to think! I had just changed from cheap gas to a higher rated brand. To add to this, I had thrown in an additive that would further define the difference. My car had been running perfectly!Did my friends on the forum forget to tell me if everything was already running fine, leave well enough alone? Should I have gradually feathered in the better gas and given my car time to adjust, and how stupid was it of me to immediately add the Techron without a proper adjustment period? What other things had I done to my car thinking the advice was benign? Now as I was trying to control my emotions wondering if I could ever again trust the advice of what I thought were knowledgeable owners, the SA called back and said the fuel pump was not necessary as the problem was a frayed wire and no parts of any kind were needed. You have all been vindicated! Happy Days! By the way "Monsta". I thought you would get the joke when I said to look for your common sense in your brain stem as this is the primordial brain and mostly involuntary actions are controlled there ( breathing, heart beating, etc.) I'm not sure where common sense is located, but I think a good guess would probably be the frontal lobe area. G-Day Mate!
If my issue just happened on its own I would need to say there is a problem other then the tune that I had installed, and would take your advice , but what happened to me happened a second later after installing tune. "Could it be sheer coincidence?" Or would one point towards the recent adjustment or change they just made to there vehicle to look for answers? I feel like a broken record constantly repeating my experience to people on this forum
Old 02-17-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
I am not far from them maybe 15 mins drive, I might do this cheers. So far I am looking at this as a resolution for my 4 misfire codes , comes much cheaper then $10k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Cas...hUrBvZ&vxp=mtr

also why hasn't anyone on here attempted this and actually done it already ! then posted a DIY coil repair
Dear SL65MONSTA
Not sure why I am even bothering since you were such a "nice person" last time I posted to your thread but there is in fact a write up on how to repair the coils.
From all your other knee jerk responses I will let you find it yourself and save myself another backlash... good luck.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 AM

SL65
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
Dear SL65MONSTA
Not sure why I am even bothering since you were such a "nice person" last time I posted to your thread but there is in fact a write up on how to repair the coils.
From all your other knee jerk responses I will let you find it yourself and save myself another backlash... good luck.
I have not intended to be rude sorry if I have
Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
What make and part number are they?

Nick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Just got SL65 V12 tuned ! but splattering :(