SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Boostane Octane Boost-Tried and Tested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
Boostane Octane Boost-Tried and Tested

We tried the Boostane Octane Booster and have had some really incredible results. Since we are in California and suffer from horrible 91 Octane fuel, we were searching for a decent solution. Unlike most Octane boosters, the Boostane app (available on IOS and Android) helps you determine how much octane booster you need to add to your gas. Download the app for free on your smartphone to try it out.

I would recommend buying a case of octane booster and leaving it in the box in your trunk and add it to your fuel every time you fill up.

We have tested this on the dyno and it makes great power with California fuel.

We sell this by the can and the case. If you are coming to use our dyno I suggest that we throw a can in after all your power runs to see what kind of horsepower and torque you are leaving on the table by not using this stuff. Everyone that has tried it on the dyno has bought a case when they left.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

If you want to purchase some and try it for yourself please feel free to stop by our shop in SoCal.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Can you post some before/after dyno runs?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 sl55
why not just use toluene?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Let me guess....you sell this snake oil?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by herpderp
why not just use toluene?
Just how safe is toluene mixed in fuel? I buy it a 55 gal drum at a time for our high performance paint operation. Just wondering if I could turn a bit of it into a safe fuel additive. By the way, as far as handling of toluene in a paint operation, let's just say it is some nasty *** chit.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 PM

2005 sl55
Originally Posted by cal1
Just how safe is toluene mixed in fuel? I buy it a 55 gal drum at a time for our high performance paint operation. Just wondering if I could turn a bit of it into a safe fuel additive. By the way, as far as handling of toluene in a paint operation, let's just say it is some nasty *** chit.
I personally have not used it. I'm more of a 'spray it with meth' kinda guy.

There are countless threads to be read with just a little googling regarding toluene, and proper mixing instructions.

I've read a number of them, and toluene seems like a better alternative than MMT based octane boosters.

interesting paragraph from the toluene wikipedia page

Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula 1 fuel restrictions
Yep, they had to reduce the Toluenes octane rating to meet f1 specs. REDUCE. because it's SO AWESOME!

Also, Toluene rocks because its so cheap, and those little bottles of octane booster that claim to raise effective octane usually do it in .1 increments, like 91.0 to 91.3 octane, not 91 to 94, in a 50L tank, at least that's my understanding.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Toluene is really good at dissolving stuff. I would want to make sure it doesn't dissolve important stuff in the fuel system. I can certainly buy it cheap.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:26 AM

2005 sl55
Okay, this is neat.

https://www.quora.com/Horsepower-Wha...oline-in-a-car

Dude talks about toluene specifically, and how it may be present in our gas already.

Toluene is one of the higher-value molecules already in use in many gasoline blends. The main benefit is that it's an octane booster that does not dilute the energy content of the gasoline like ethanol does. It's a C7 aromatic molecule, which means it contains a lot of energy and vaporizes easily, but not so easily that it's an air pollutant like lighter benzene (C6 aromatic) and butane (C4) molecules, which percolate out of unsealed gas tanks and contribute to smog.

The tricky thing about adding aromatics is that the total quantity in your fuel shouldn't exceed about 30%, which is the sum of all the benzene, toluene, and xylene put together. Many regular gasoline blends already contain significant amounts of aromatics -- up to 30%! -- so there's no simple way to tell how much more you can safely add. As it happens, the higher quality gasoline blends (which supposedly includes Shell and Chevron gas but don't quote me on that) already contain a lot of toluene and xylene. Adding toluene is more likely to improve low-octane gas than high-octane gas.

A rule of thumb floating around the internet is that you can safely add 10% toluene to your gas without causing engine issues. So that would increase your 93 octane gas to (93 * .9) + (114 * .1) = 95.1 octane.
To answer your original question about it being in the fuel system, Is our fuel system safe for e85? I'd bet e85 is far more corrosive and hard on the fuel system than 10-20% toluene.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Cool stuff, thanks. I will be looking into this more. Since I moved to the middle of nowhere Wisconsin, I can no longer get 93. I had to reflash a 91 tune. I still have access to toluene, xylene, and other solvents that could be mixed into a killer octane booster. One interesting thing about the gas up here is that I can get 0 ethanol 91 octane gas. More energy in a gallon of gas plus kicking the octane up could make for some nice fuel.

I recall reading something about how using toluene dries out the combustion or something like that. I know the hydrogen in gas combines with O2 from the air to make water. With toluene it would make less (I think). Not sure how that impacts the engine.