SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 AMG - Coil-over Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55 AMG, Range Rover Evoque
SL55 AMG - Coil-over Help Please

I have very happily owned my trouble-free 2003 SL55 AMG for eight years and wish to continue.

For sometime, I have perused the MB forums, especially watching for information on ABC coil-over conversions (with sway bars), to be ready should my car need future ABC replacement. Considering the estimated, rough cost of replacement parts (see below), I may be considering the coil-over option.

The two options that come to mind, are either the SL350 (European SL with MB coil-overs as standard) or the VVK Nordic Car design, both available from Rebuild Master Tech (see below).

However, having contacted Rebuild Master Tech, I am unable to obtain referred contact with anyone who has had either installed and I have not been able to locate any videos of the vehicle driving following conversion. I’m looking for a “street” softer driving feel and just want to know what others have found with their conversion.

Please could anybody provide feedback on their SL55 AMG coil-over conversions?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Attached Thumbnails SL55 AMG - Coil-over Help Please-untitled1.jpg   SL55 AMG - Coil-over Help Please-untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by Geo3; 01-17-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Geo3
I have very happily owned my trouble-free 2003 SL55 AMG for eight years and wish continue.

For sometime, I have perused the MB forums, especially watching for information on ABC coil-over conversions (with sway bars), to be ready should my car need future ABC replacement. Considering the estimated, rough cost of replacement parts (see below), I may be considering the coil-over option.

The two options that come to mind, are either the SL350 (European SL with MB coil-overs as standard) or the VVK Nordic Car design, both available from Rebuild Master Tech (see below).

However, having contacted Rebuild Master Tech, I am unable to obtain referred contact with anyone who has had either installed and I have not been able to locate any videos of the vehicle driving following conversion. I’m looking for a “street” softer driving feel and just want to know what others have found with their conversion.

Very much like to know this too. For the peace of mind whether I should keep this car forever or get rid of it soon.

Thanks,

J
Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
There was a guy who did a VVK set up on his SL55 and it fit 100%. He was in Thailand but idk what happened to him
On a 600/65 is only fits 90%. But I cant compalin it handles well and can take the heavy nose of a 65
Old 02-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Knowing about future possible ABC issues and costs involved, I have been attempting to gather together information on coil-over options with sway/ant-roll bars (see attached PDF with listings and part numbers).

Mercedes-Benz sold their SL350 in rest of the world, but NOT in North America, so it's hard finding these parts here, without personally importing.

Just wondering if anyone in Canada sells SL350 suspension parts?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ABCtoCoilOversMin.pdf (479.6 KB, 199 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Knowing about future possible ABC issues and costs involved, I have been attempting to gather together information on coil-over options with sway/ant-roll bars (see attached PDF with listings and part numbers).

Mercedes-Benz sold their SL350 in rest of the world, but NOT in North America, so it's hard finding these parts here, without personally importing.

Just wondering if anyone in Canada sells SL350 suspension parts?

Thanks in advance.
Hello Geo3,

I am seeking a conversion kit for my 2003 SL55 AMG,
because the ABC system is very expensive in each repair. Therefore, I would like to convert it.
Could you please PM me some photos about the conversion kit installation process and procedures?
also I am confusing how to install the front sway bar in the V8 Kompressor when using the SL350 factory sway bar, could you please give me more details?
In this moment, I prefer install the Bilstein B12 pro kit with Eibach spring, replace the single steering pump, install front & rear sway bar (SL350), and cancel the ABC system in IC with using XENTRY with developer mode.
Could you please give me advice, thank you very much.

with best regards,
Joe
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Chu
Hello Geo3,

I am seeking a conversion kit for my 2003 SL55 AMG,
because the ABC system is very expensive in each repair. Therefore, I would like to convert it.
Could you please PM me some photos about the conversion kit installation process and procedures?
also I am confusing how to install the front sway bar in the V8 Kompressor when using the SL350 factory sway bar, could you please give me more details?
In this moment, I prefer install the Bilstein B12 pro kit with Eibach spring, replace the single steering pump, install front & rear sway bar (SL350), and cancel the ABC system in IC with using XENTRY with developer mode.
Could you please give me advice, thank you very much.

with best regards,
Joe

This is all I have gathered so far so far on coil-over conversions (click on "ABC to coil-overs button") :

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gmacgruer/SL55_AMG.html
Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 AM

SL55 AMG
This is all I have gathered so far so far on coil-over conversions (click on "ABC to coil-overs button") :

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gmacgruer/SL55_AMG.html
Thank you so much Geo3 Love you so much
I had read this attachment, but there were no mentioned about the front sway bar installation process, Did you have installed the front &a rear sway bar in your SL55 AMG? If yes, could you please tell me the parts brand & number?
Thank you so much.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Chu

Thank you so much Geo3 Love you so much
I had read this attachment, but there were no mentioned about the front sway bar installation process, Did you have installed the front &a rear sway bar in your SL55 AMG? If yes, could you please tell me the parts brand & number?
Thank you so much.

Hi Joe,

Part numbers should be in the PDF.

I haven't yet attempted to install yet on my SL55 AMG, but trying to get as much information as possible, in advance.

Information, so far, has been very difficult to obtain, especially any installation "step by step" guides and follow-ups of how owners found their cars to be affected/improved/spoiled afterwards.

I keep on looking......Geo3.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
the vvk kit sway bar is much better. search the forums. they have a very detailed explanation of how their kit and custom made sway bar is a superior option to the sl350 parts.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 PM

2005 Mercedes SL 65 AMG
Also noticed Rebuild Master Tech has started selling the kit, though "out of stock". I consider that an endorsement of VVK's product, since RMT has their own kit.
http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/mer...bc-suspension/
Old 02-10-2022, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
I have very happily owned my trouble-free 2003 SL55 AMG for eight years and wish to continue.

SUBSCRIBED - I'm in the same ABC predicament as you unfortunately as I just got a dealer repair bill of over $6k to replace leaking pump, accumulators and some other ABC items as I'm leaking significant ABC fluid from under the front and getting some low pressure codes here at 72K miles. The ABC system is still functioning but it just keeps leaking about 1/2 liter of fluid ever time I drive the car so I'm torn here about going to throw more $$$ at attempting to repair the ABC or going the coil over route which I've seen many forum members do with various pros/cons but certainly is a more permanent fix vs ABC repair which will ultimately leak somewhere it seems. My SL55 is a 2004 and is driven maybe 1k miles per year as its one of 4 older sports cars I have and drive purely for leisure so the softer ride really isnt an issue to me considering my old Z06 and 996TT ride really firm already.

There seems to be numerous coil over options (Strutmasters, RebuildMaster Tech, VVK, SL350 OEM parts -- per list here from another post ) so I am struggling to determine which is best to go with based on reliability of the coil overs once installed and quality of the coil over kit and its install instructions?

My indy who's done a few of these recommends going the route of the R230/SL350 OEM parts (attached super helpful PDF from another Benzworld member who did this and documented EVERYTHING) and perhaps an aftermarket sway bar but several forum members have given positive reviews of the other kits too....

After reading all of these related SL55/Coil-over threads I'm fully convinced this is the best route for me based on needing reliability more than comfort - but still undecided about which path to go down here... welcome any others feedback who have done this. Thx J

Other helpful SL / R230 coil over threads.....
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...lp-please.html
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/ab...e-faq.2156657/
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ew-s-must.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...kit-works.html
Attached Files
Old 02-10-2022, 01:21 PM

This is the stage I'm currently at with my coil-over conversion on my 2003 SL55 AMG.
All parts are OEM Mercedes-Benz and installed by my local MB dealer almot three years ago. I love the conversion (see my thoughts in attached PDF).

I also have a rear anti-roll/sway bar installed, but yet to get the front one fitted, due to clearance difficulties and getting correct spacers and as the car drives so well even minus the front bar, I'm not in any rush.
The PDF below includes all part numbers, etc.

Attached Files

Last edited by Geo3; 02-10-2022 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
This is the stage I'm currently at with my coil-over conversion on my 2003 SL55 AMG.
All parts are OEM Mercedes-Benz and installed by my local MB dealer almot three years ago. I love the conversion (see my thoughts in attached PDF).

I also have a rear anti-roll/sway bar installed, but yet to get the front one fitted, due to clearance difficulties and getting correct spacers and as the car drives so well even minus the front bar, I'm not in any rush.
The PDF below includes all part numbers, etc.
GEO - thank you so much!! You've done an AMAZING job documenting in detail your path with going OEM replacement (SL350) parts to replace your ABC which is what I am 99% sure is what I'll do. BTW your car looks beautiful in silver which is same as mine but mine is a 04.

Few other questions....

Were you able to get all the OEM parts through your dealer or where there any issues sourcing any of the parts?

Is that front sway bar required, or do you feel your car performs just find and safely without it?

Did the dealer code out the ABC warnings or do you just live with those?

Reliability (not ride quality) is my primary objective here with this coil-over option as my SL55 is purely a leisure drive vehicle with an occasional spirited run on a high way, but no track use as I have other cars that I use for track purposes. Once I get this coil-over done I will be so thrilled to NEVER see another ABC warning light or puddles of Pentosin on my garage floor

Thank you again sir for sharing your details which are hugely helpful an I truly appreciate.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:16 PM

Hi jvakos,

Had issue getting my updated PDF attached in my post above, but finally compressed and it's OK. It may be worth reading. Let me know......

This PDF lists all done, part numbers, instructions for dealer to code out ABC warnings, includes my thoughts on the car's handling/ride and details my current decision as to how to finish off with the one item missing; front anti-roll/sway bar.

Trust this helps somewhat.......Geo.
jvakos (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 05:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
I am doing this conversion with VVK swaybars and Silver's NEOMAX shock with "standard springs".

Last edited by Tomcat SL; 02-11-2022 at 08:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tomcat SL:
Geo3 (02-11-2022), jvakos (02-10-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 08:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
SL55
Geo3 I read your PDF and noted you installed W220 high pressure power steering line. How did the routing work out? Do you have any pictures to share? I did the power steering pump with SL55 line but I don't like the routing. I thought I would have to make up a custom line but if W220 works that would be a lot easier. The main issue I have is I don't like how the line from the pump does not have a support near the connection.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:45 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have that information, as my Mercedes-Benz dealer did the full conversion, incuding sourcing and installing the W220 power steering pump instead of the "tandem" PS/ABC pump.

My understanding is that it was fairly straightforward to install W220 pump on original bracket and that the original power steering line was hooked up (remember, the ABC had different line to other side of tandem pump).

I'll pop out to the garage and see if I can take a couple of pics.....Geo.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:08 AM

Just been into the garage and taken these pics of W220 P/S pump installed and working well......best I can do at moment.........Geo.

Old 02-11-2022, 05:36 PM

SL55
Thank you
Old 02-24-2022, 01:55 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
So far, I like my conversion (NEOMAX/VVK sway bars). I will admit that, due to the dynamic changes of the original ABC, it was amazing how compliant the suspension was going down the rough roads and then how tight it was in the corners (again it was actively changing). Now, there is an ever so slight compromise between ride quality and cornering (due to "fixed settings")...BUT that being said it rides well and handles great with NEOMAX/VVK.

Last edited by Tomcat SL; 03-01-2022 at 03:02 PM.
jvakos (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Tomcat SL
So far, I like my conversion (NEOMAX/VVK sway bars). I will admit that, due to the dynamic changes of the original ABC, it was amazing how compliant the suspension was going down the rough roads and then how tight it was in the corners (again it was actively changing). Now, there is an ever so slight compromise between ride quality and cornering (due to "fixed settings"...BUT that being said it rides well and handles great with NEOMAX/VVK.
im getting mine done in 2 weeks by Brandon at Gold Element Auto... am only doing the Silvers Neomax coilovers for now.

did you get a chance to test driving your SL in scenarios of the coil overs only and then with the coil over plus VVK sway bar? am curious how much the sway bar improves the suspension and driving experience in non-track casual driving use cases.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:06 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
I have been driving mine like a normal car and finding no issues with daily driving (in the mid-Atlantic area).
I am interested in the installation cost others experience. It cost me $1,800 to do everything/all-in (NEOMAX coilovers, VVK swaybars, steering pump) BUT I also got a refund from Arnott for my old struts...so I am pleased.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Tomcat SL
I have been driving mine like a normal car and finding no issues with daily driving (in the mid-Atlantic area).
I am interested in the installation cost others experience. It cost me $1,800 to do everything/all-in (NEOMAX coilovers, VVK swaybars, steering pump) BUT I also got a refund from Arnott for my old struts...so I am pleased.
Tomcat - hey is $1800 your net cost for NEOMAX + VVK sway bar after you sold your struts/parts to Arnotts?

Curious on that and what Arnotts gave you for the 4 struts (and accumulators, pump, valve blocks etc or am guessing they only want the struts)

My understanding is the labor cost to install NEOMAX kit is around $1500-200 which includes removing all ABC components and install of new pump (non-tandem).

thx
Old 03-01-2022, 04:14 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by jvakos
Tomcat - hey is $1800 your net cost for NEOMAX + VVK sway bar after you sold your struts/parts to Arnotts?

Curious on that and what Arnotts gave you for the 4 struts (and accumulators, pump, valve blocks etc or am guessing they only want the struts)

My understanding is the labor cost to install NEOMAX kit is around $1500-200 which includes removing all ABC components and install of new pump (non-tandem).

thx
$1,800 labor only (to do EVERYTHING)
Arnott is $200/strut right now...and they had no use for the other stuff.
If labor is $1,500-$2,000...then I am right in the middle.
Geo3 (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 09:04 PM

SL55
$1,500 to $2,000 for strut's, pump and sway bars sounds like a really good deal. Especially if you get the strut cores to sell. Even without sway bar that is still a good price.

I am doing the VVK kit now and it has taken a long time. I am also doing motor mounts, trans mount, rebuild drive shaft, soon full transmission service and an oil change.

I made some YouTube videos on tips I learned doing the front sway bar. On my channel, 4 videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxc...flLhbBBxaNNbZA

I am working on rear sway bar now and will add videos for that when I can.

Last edited by ldeem; 03-01-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Geo3 (03-01-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 AMG - Coil-over Help Please