SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ferrari and lambo owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up ferrari and lambo owners

To the exports or owners: I'm planning to get a new ride out of a few of my favorite options Ferrari 360 spyder / Lamborghini Gallardo / Lambo Murcielago (maybe the topless version). I'm having a hard time on deciding which one is overall better than the other in terms of the mixture of performance and price. Never had a ferrari or lambo before, so please help me out since the dealer made it even more confusing. I'm not asking for votes here, so please tell me why I should choose which one. Another question is, since the 360 has been out for while, I was wondering how long is this model supposed to last for production, any idea if there is another model coming out other than the "grandpa-looking" 612 Scaglietti? If so, when? Thanks a lot, for any info you can provide.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:27 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
The 360M is going to be replace by the 420Monza soon enough this year/next year.

here's a thread about comparing the three cars...

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...=&fpart=1&vc=1

The 420M, 480hp 4.2 V8....

BTW, "AMG Mercedes" is my nick on rennteam.

Personally, get the 420....
Old 04-20-2004, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
A silver 360 Spyder with the top down pulled up and parked in front of the restaurant I was eating at Saturday. Absolutely gorgeous (my SL was completely upstaged). I would get one of those.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:17 AM

Not sure on the price differences, but I would get the Lambo Gallardo thumbs down. I would much rather one than the murcielago as the latter is a heavy and huge car, although still fast. The gallardo is a more reasonable size, and it looks stunning, much better than its brother.

The gallardo also has a clear audi influence on quality, the interior is superb and much better than the Ferrari. It uses the A8's climate control systems and has full leather interior which is well built and looks great.

The gallardo has a screaming V10 that does not compromise on low down torque, and has a cool 6 speed with the metal gatey thing, and although a sequential gearbox is available, I would go for the manny. It's 4 wheel drive and hence has enourmous grip and is very safe, even when its wet.

It manages to have Ferrari qualities without being harsh or uncomfortable, it is a car you drive more often than the Ferrari. I don't know if you've seen one upclose, but just by looks of the exterior and interior it will win you over. And don't forget to pick yellow!

If I were to rank the three cars in order, it would be Gallardo, Ferrari whateva and then Murcielago. Especially if you want a change from the Merc, dont get the Murcielago as it will not give you that nimbleness and feel you get from a ferrari. Oh, and both the Lambos will outgun the Ferrari 360 in a straight line, although the heavy Lambo Murcielago may fall behind on a track.

Whatever you choose, you can't really go wrong because they are all really cool cars which I would die for. Best of luck.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Twinturbo
Not sure on the price differences, but I would get the Lambo Gallardo thumbs down. I would much rather one than the murcielago as the latter is a heavy and huge car, although still fast. The gallardo is a more reasonable size, and it looks stunning, much better than its brother.

The gallardo also has a clear audi influence on quality, the interior is superb and much better than the Ferrari. It uses the A8's climate control systems and has full leather interior which is well built and looks great.

The gallardo has a screaming V10 that does not compromise on low down torque, and has a cool 6 speed with the metal gatey thing, and although a sequential gearbox is available, I would go for the manny. It's 4 wheel drive and hence has enourmous grip and is very safe, even when its wet.

It manages to have Ferrari qualities without being harsh or uncomfortable, it is a car you drive more often than the Ferrari. I don't know if you've seen one upclose, but just by looks of the exterior and interior it will win you over. And don't forget to pick yellow!

If I were to rank the three cars in order, it would be Gallardo, Ferrari whateva and then Murcielago. Especially if you want a change from the Merc, dont get the Murcielago as it will not give you that nimbleness and feel you get from a ferrari. Oh, and both the Lambos will outgun the Ferrari 360 in a straight line, although the heavy Lambo Murcielago may fall behind on a track.

Whatever you choose, you can't really go wrong because they are all really cool cars which I would die for. Best of luck.
Lamborghini Murcialgo doesnt feel heavy or big its very fast and has very good track performance. The Murcialgo is in a class of its own though, its more expensive then both Gallardo and 360. The 360 isnt the fastest straight line car it has a great power plant. However it lacks torque but it has the most feel out of both the cars for the road its like you are the car when your driving. The Gallardo is quicker on the track and straight line then the 360 it has more tq and hp but it lacks driving feel the interior isnt bad has obvious Audi influence. The 360 interior is great also very classy and simple its pretty roomy also alot more room then the F355.

The Murcialgo its in a league of its own as I said incredible performance stunning exotic looks excellent interior hefty $price and decrease in price is pretty quick also. The power plant is pure heaven 0-60 in 3.5-3.6 and 1/4 in 11.6-11.7.

All 3 are great if you go Ferrari now is a good time to buy as the Monza is coming you can get a nice 02 Murcialgo for great prices also. The Gallardo drop top is coming soon also.

Good luck with your decision between the three.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for all the posts. And Bilal, it's quite a detailed comparison you did at rennteam.com, definitely worth some time to read. Any idea if Monza will come in a topless version, soon? Somehow, it doesn't look quite so different from 360 based on the picture above, hope the actual car'll be a lot different. Is it gonna carry the crystal engine lid? How about pricing, possible to get it at MSRP? I saw Murcielago, Gallardo, and 360M on the floor together a few weeks ago. To me, 360 does seem a little "outdated". But I also worry that with the extremely geometric and bold look of the two lambo, they might become "outdated" even faster (From a distance, one could easily mistake a lambo with perhaps a Japanese car, say Mitsubishi?), even though I have to admit Murcielago's look is very hot, especially with the trade-mark door. I wonder if Ferrari will make a model with the scissor door soon, other than the expensive Enzo of course. And please share if you find an actual photo of the new Monza. Tks again.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by clkmon
Thanks for all the posts. And Bilal, it's quite a detailed comparison you did at rennteam.com, definitely worth some time to read. Any idea if Monza will come in a topless version, soon? Somehow, it doesn't look quite so different from 360 based on the picture above, hope the actual car'll be a lot different. Is it gonna carry the crystal engine lid? How about pricing, possible to get it at MSRP? I saw Murcielago, Gallardo, and 360M on the floor together a few weeks ago. To me, 360 does seem a little "outdated". But I also worry that with the extremely geometric and bold look of the two lambo, they might become "outdated" even faster (From a distance, one could easily mistake a lambo with perhaps a Japanese car, say Mitsubishi?), even though I have to admit Murcielago's look is very hot, especially with the trade-mark door. I wonder if Ferrari will make a model with the scissor door soon, other than the expensive Enzo of course. And please share if you find an actual photo of the new Monza. Tks again.
The Monza will be different then the 360 for sure Ferrari doesn’t really make extreme jumps in design though look at the F355-->360 move they made slight changes but you can tell its a different model. The 360 can be bought close to MSRP now, Modena Coupes are not being produced anymore just spiders and challenge stradale models. Gallardo can be gotten for MSRP since the market is flooded with them to get them around so the opinons etc get spread around. 02 Murcialgo's are your best bet they can be gotten for a great price yet had no real differences since 02 till now. The Murcialgo drop top will be delivered to only a couple buyers at first there going to take a while to get around since there very new. The Monza will be released like always first comes coupe then spider then other models like challenge etc.

As for looks I was never a fan of the 360 looks I perfer the 355 a thing to note about Ferrari is there designs never get outdated there age less look at the 355 it looks like a 2004 the 1993 512TR still looks new. The Murcialgo was designed by a japanese designer the Murcialgo was the first car to be realesed under the Audi Lamborghini joint ownership.

Last edited by Mr.PS; 04-20-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

And where exactly do I find out the MSRP for both brands, since neither ferrari nor lambo offers "build your own" online like mercedes does. Is MSRP what I should aim at for ALL these models?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:15 AM

SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
I ordered my '360 replacement' (the 420m) about three years back to ensure I get an early car. If depreciation is a concern getting an early new model car avoids this almost totally in many cases.

I loved my old 360 - as has been covered a few times on this board my myself and BlueSL the cars you are considering are far more sports focused and in my opinion more fun.

And on the other side of the coin in many cases you would take the SL55 is covering 300 miles in a day.

My dealer feels the 420 Spyder will be around a year behind the coupe as is common for Ferrari.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I have a fair amount of experience with the cars that you are looking at. I also just spent a day putting about 300 miles on a new Gallardo.

I felt that the big Lambo is a hold over from the Diablo/Testarossa days of the big 80's supercar. I feel that the game has moved on consdierably since then. Having said that, Audi has done a great job sprucing the Murcielago up and keeping it reletively fresh. Visibility is pretty much non-existant.

The 360 is a great car (dynamically)...I still have a problem with the way the nose looks. I have driven the new Challenge Stradale and found brilliant (I did run away from a CS on a twisty road w/the SL55 though)...I wish it was available as a manual.

The Gallardo is pretty cool...very modern, lots of power, great looks and the 4wd system really helps you out on a mountain road. I found that car the best at working with you rather than fighting against you. I thought that visibility would be as bad as the Murcielago...but it is reasonable for a Lambo. I didn't like the e-gear.

The thing with Lambos is that they depreciate massively! I think that I will buy a Gallardo...in a couple of years. I'm sure that it will be well under $100K for a good used one in a couple of years.

Having said all that....our SL55's (mine is derestricted) will run them all pretty close to 100 and outrun all of them to 300kph...and only just get edged in top speed to the big Lambo....the SL55 will do 202mph flat out and the Murcielago will go 205. The SL is also brilliant at the track. Other that some extra weight we have THE best supercar value in the SL55. I supose if you HAVE to impress the valet and get the best restaurant spot the Italian cars are the way to go....I know...it works
Old 04-22-2004, 05:15 AM
Almost a Member!

I've been reading this thread at Ferrari.com on the comparison between F and L. Quite chaotic, and the more I read, the more confused I am because everyone is giving these very different views, which is very reasonable but not helpful at all. Which car needs more effort and $ to maintain between the ones mentioned above? Some are saying lambo is very high-maintenance, some say ferrari is more so. To me, no matter how fast the car is, it's a piece of junk if it breaks all the time. Any reliable view on this, guys? Btw, how long do you think the waiting list will be for 420 spyder and the drop top lambo?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally posted by clkmon
I've been reading this thread at Ferrari.com on the comparison between F and L. Quite chaotic, and the more I read, the more confused I am because everyone is giving these very different views, which is very reasonable but not helpful at all. Which car needs more effort and $ to maintain between the ones mentioned above? Some are saying lambo is very high-maintenance, some say ferrari is more so. To me, no matter how fast the car is, it's a piece of junk if it breaks all the time. Any reliable view on this, guys? Btw, how long do you think the waiting list will be for 420 spyder and the drop top lambo?
The Ferrari and Lambo will be rather expensive to service. You will pay upwards of $5000 for a major service...every 4-5 years. As far as reliability....All the modern Fcars that I have had have been bullet proof. Lambos from the mid 90's on are quite reliable as well.

Both Ferrari and Lambo are great cars....as long as you maintain them. It is only when they are neglected that they will bite you.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by IngenereAMG
The Ferrari and Lambo will be rather expensive to service. You will pay upwards of $5000 for a major service...every 4-5 years. As far as reliability....All the modern Fcars that I have had have been bullet proof. Lambos from the mid 90's on are quite reliable as well.

Both Ferrari and Lambo are great cars....as long as you maintain them. It is only when they are neglected that they will bite you.
Very true they run very well when maintained corretly some have made it upwards of 100k miles. Its all a matter of how you treat your precious.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:38 AM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
Originally posted by Bilal
The 360M is going to be replace by the 420Monza soon enough this year/next year.

here's a thread about comparing the three cars...

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...=&fpart=1&vc=1

The 420M, 480hp 4.2 V8....

BTW, "AMG Mercedes" is my nick on rennteam.

Personally, get the 420....

Personally it looks every day A LOT like a Posche. :o
Old 05-01-2004, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Pierre32///AMG
Personally it looks every day A LOT like a Posche. :o
I felt the same thing! The first time I saw a 360 on the street...I thought it was a 911! Yikes!
Old 05-02-2004, 07:21 AM

BMW DINAN M5, Z8, Modena Spider, Lambo Murcielago, MINI cooper, TVR tuscan speed 6, NISSAN 350Z
As an owner of 996 Turbo, modena and gallardos, I personally can not go back to Modena or 996 Turbo since I started driving my Gallardo in Last Dec. Even Modena gives me more exciting feelings, I prefer Gallardo's torque, power, great brake and very stable body frame. I also have a Murcielago but I recommend Gallarod if you are thinking about driving it as a daily driver.

Speaking of new Ferraris, I think 612's nose is too long and new 420 is risky to take a first lot, hehe. I am thinking about ordering one but I think I gonna wait for 6 months or so.

If you just want the performance, get Murcielago. if you still wanna drive it to everywhere, I still recommend you a Gallardo. If you need a thrill of death, take Modena
Old 05-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by IngenereAMG
I felt the same thing! The first time I saw a 360 on the street...I thought it was a 911! Yikes!
To be in the same league as the best, you got to follow the best
Old 05-02-2004, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo (eGear) Blue / Navy Blue
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo (6 Speed) Metalic Black / Black
2002 Lamborghini Murcielago Silky Black / Black
2002 MINI COOPER British Racing Green / Emerald Green
2001 DINAN M5 Carbon Black / Black & Red
2001 Ferrari 360 Modena Spider California Blue / Navy Blue
2001 Porsche 996TT Red / Tan
omg emazing stable!!! could you please post some high res pics if you have any, would make for a great wallpaper. thanks

oh yeah clkmon, i don't know where you live but here in LA 360 modena's and spyders are a dime a dozen. I see roughly 20 on a daily basis. And the challenge stradale are popping up more and more. If you want all the attention of a super car then go for a murcialago. Oh yeah...why not an aston martin v12 vanquish ? or the upcoming db9?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:29 AM

Tako, isnt there other things money can buy or be used than to have two gallardos the same apart from the colour and transmission? I mean geez, give me one, or give that money to someone who really needs it.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:25 AM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Thumbs up Get The Murcielago ... Hands Down Period

Murcielago all the way ... no question ..

I've been to my local Lambo dealer and I saw Diablo's and Murcielago's sitting next to a 360 Modena and Gallardo's in yellow and black,etc...

The Murcielago was much better looking ... the back of the Gallardo is very ugly ...

The Diablo's were the best looking ....
And the sound of a Lamborghini Diablo or Murcielago engine is beyond words ... .makes a 360 Modena or 355 sound like a little sissy spitting little farts out ....

I've been seriously considering these past few weeks about maybe when my SL 65 comes in next Spring to sell my spot or the car and just get a Diablo ... so much more emotion and looks and the "fire" so to speak ... but the downside ofcourse is that I wouldn't be able to drive the Lambo everyday all day like in a Benz with full factory warranty where if anything goes wrong I just drop it off at the Benz dealer, they give me a brand new Benz to drive until they fix everything for free, then clean my car for me and give it back with a smile. In the Lambo there might be some hesitation to drive all out furiously because there would be no warranty ....
But you know what ... we're all going to live just once on this Earth ... we should enjoy every last second of it and we all should enjoy Driving a Lamborghini while we're still young, single, and in the social scene with Beautiful girls everywhere ....

To Happiness !!!

Last edited by SL65amg; 05-04-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally posted by FIXEDupW209

oh yeah clkmon, i don't know where you live but here in LA 360 modena's and spyders are a dime a dozen. I see roughly 20 on a daily basis. And the challenge stradale are popping up more and more.
That valet parking job sounds like it has some perks. ;-)

T
Old 05-05-2004, 08:00 PM

Old 05-06-2004, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i remember tako saying that he has 1 in CA, and another 1 in tokyo or something like that..i saw some pics..