SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
m6
Hey guys, I have a 2003 sl500 , I purchased the seicane unit and it came with the 6m long cable , but i do not see how this unit is plug and play , the connectors from the car dont match the ones that seicane sent , and the plugs that are supposed to be plugged into the wireloom in the back and bypass the amp seem to be different as well.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 AMG SL55
Did you run wires through center console?

Just installing this unit in my 04 SL55. Did you run wires through center console or under door jamb? i am running RCA cable to an after market amp and doesnt seem to be room under center arm rest console.

Originally Posted by lagolag
I have installed this one in my 03 SL55
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ouch...311.0.0.PdbPLq
together with Pioneer GM-D1004 as you can’t use the std Bose amp.
The headunit amplifier is driving the rear speakers and the dash speaker, the Pioneer amplifier is for the door speakers and the subwoofer which is bribged to two Chanels.
I made the installation over a weekend and is stright foreward but you need to route speaker cables from the dash to the rear as all speaker input has to be connected to the Bose amp connector behind driver seat. The extention cable that is recomended is not doing the job stright off as it has no connnection to the speaker wirwing, you need to buy a ISO speaker socket to connect the speaker wires as the one on the kit does not match.
The sound is as good as the original system, the steering wheel buttons, volume and channel change works but when you shift menue the station changes, I haven’t tried to change the settings on the buss device that was set to SL R230.
In total it’s a great upgrade to a fantastic car that now is a fully modern Super car.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Creoleiii
Just installing this unit in my 04 SL55. Did you run wires through center console or under door jamb? i am running RCA cable to an after market amp and doesnt seem to be room under center arm rest console.
on my 2003 SL55, there was room under the center console . I ended up running multiple USB cables and Multiple RCA cables under the center console (it is a tight pull, however). I also ran many (group of 6) rca cables back to the AMP (from the Dash area) under the carpet/driver's seat. IIRC, there is a channel (gully) under the carpet that was easily accessed since I had the seat out already. I don't recall running anything under the rocker cover.

hope that helps,
Chris
Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 SL55
I'm doing the same on my '04 SL55. Seicane head unit. Steering wheel controls working, reception is fine. I'm replacing the 6.5 door speakers with some 6.5" Rockford Fosgate 3-way's. Not using the smaller speakers at this time. In rear, behind the seats, RF 6x9 3-ways in speaker boxes that sit on top of the little console doors behind the seats. Kenwood Excelon amp where old BOSE amp was. Using RCA inputs from Seicane HU. Sounds amazing!!! RCA , and some backup cables ran down left side of console...no issues. It is tight! Run a single thick wire along path you want to pull. Like using a fish tape. Then stagger the RCA jacks one by one along the fish wire, taping them to fish wire. EZPZ lol
The following 2 users liked this post by GBsSL55:
Matt930s (11-23-2021), Nosmo SL55 (03-11-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 05:27 AM

R230 SL500 2003
Hello Gents,

I know this is an old post, but I give it a try. Before removing the original Comand 2.0 d2b and opting for an android unit, I would like to attempt an update of the HU firmware. I don't mind to feed the unit with MP3 cd since I am mostly listening the radio. Anyone has and would share the latest available firmware CD iso?

Thank you. Pietro
Old 05-16-2020, 10:49 PM

2004 AMG SL55
DON'T DO IT !!!!!!

I bought the android unit, it looks great, that's about it.

So many issues and the Chinese support is very poor except when accepting payment.

Was assured it was plug and play, it is NOT!

I had the fiber optic amp, had to replace with RCA amps, the speakers are 1 ohm so had to special order amps that will be stable at 1 ohm. Installed two amps, one to power 4 door speakers and one for sub woofer. Used the built in head unit amp for rear and center speaker.

It sounds horrible, flat and almost mono like.

Huge engine whine when running, not from amps but from head unit, tried grounding the hell out of everything. No whine with a Pioneer source so definitely coming from head unit. Next move is to install a capacitor or two I guess.

Steering wheel controls work but you can't change display on dash or trip without changing stations or inputs.

Still having issues with network and hot spot and apple carplay. Cant use the built in navigation while using carplay.

Loing story short, keep the original command unit and use the aux input. It sounds so much better. So. Much. Better

DON'T DO IT!!!!!