SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl500
Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?

I was thinking of buying this, has anyone at all out there heard of any success with these units at all? There customer service seems knowledgable but everything not a problem, no problem, no no no problem at all.
https://www.seicane.com/android-gps-...usb-sd-s018817
Old 09-22-2017, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Mikedealer
I was thinking of buying this, has anyone at all out there heard of any success with these units at all? There customer service seems knowledgable but everything not a problem, no problem, no no no problem at all.
That unit is made by Hualingan, you may want to ask them directly for a price. I have purchased directly from them in the past and saved (hundreds?) .

http://hualingan.en.made-in-china.co...its-W-GPS.html

Before there was an android version out for an R230, I installed a competitor's android radio (made for a c class that I adapted into my SL55) https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post6444680

When Hualingan finally came out with the android version (a couple of years ago?) I bought one (same unit as you linked, but for quite a bit less since I bought it direct). However, with so many other projects going on, I have not installed it yet.

Wish I could give you some feedback on the actual unit, but they are all 95% good with occasional glitches. If you indicated your model year, I could give you some more specific install info.

hope that helps,
Cheers,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?-20150530_213320.jpg   Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?-20150608_212001.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL55 AMG, 2004 E320
2006 R230 COMAND replace

Everything I've read about the Chinese units is that they aren't so much plug and play and have a high failure rate.
I replaced my COMAND head unit with Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX. Kept the Bose amp and speakers. Added a backup camera.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?-img_7314.jpg   Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?-img_7317.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Stoneea
Everything I've read about the Chinese units is that they aren't so much plug and play and have a high failure rate.
I replaced my COMAND head unit with Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX. Kept the Bose amp and speakers. Added a backup camera.
In a D2b mercedes, nothing is totally plug and play. However, the chinese units (this one, at least) make a better attempt at it than you might imagine. They come with the correct CanBus interface connectors (and more importantly) a high functioning CanBus interface module (that adequately handles making the steering wheel controls work and interpreting back-up and "vehicle-on" signal, etc).

While there are "MOST" fiber interfaces available for your car, D2b cars (like the OPs) have none, so the AMP (bose) needs to be replaced or bypassed.

While I have not heard of many (any) of the chinese radios "failing", I will confirm that the build quality is mediocre and some of the features /hardware (built in mic for hands-free as an example) only meet minimum requirements. .... But, I have pioneer AVIC in my F250 that is a big disappointment , so, clearly, nothing is perfect.

I think that if you are a true audiophile, you would want to go the extra mile of getting a namebrand unit (like your pioneer) and then buy all of the add-ons to get the steering controls to work (and put up with the patched-in square-peg-in-a-round-hole look). In the OPs case, he will have to replace the AMP no matter what path he chooses (he can keep the speakers although it will be hard to use the factory BOSE sub with most aftermarket amps). Addtionally, the OP will likely have to cut his center console trim (and change out for later model cup holders) if he wants to put in an aftermarket unit while utilizing the standard aftermarket headunit bezel).

There is no perfect path, I always like to see the various solutions that members come up with.

Cheers,
Chris
The following 2 users liked this post by latemodel21:
dRockSL55 (09-30-2017), Stoneea (09-23-2017)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sl55 2003
radio D2B

I have a 2003 r230 with the D2b and want to get the android, will it work plug and play there is a bypass cable will that do the trick

Originally Posted by latemodel21
In a D2b mercedes, nothing is totally plug and play. However, the chinese units (this one, at least) make a better attempt at it than you might imagine. They come with the correct CanBus interface connectors (and more importantly) a high functioning CanBus interface module (that adequately handles making the steering wheel controls work and interpreting back-up and "vehicle-on" signal, etc).

While there are "MOST" fiber interfaces available for your car, D2b cars (like the OPs) have none, so the AMP (bose) needs to be replaced or bypassed.

While I have not heard of many (any) of the chinese radios "failing", I will confirm that the build quality is mediocre and some of the features /hardware (built in mic for hands-free as an example) only meet minimum requirements. .... But, I have pioneer AVIC in my F250 that is a big disappointment , so, clearly, nothing is perfect.

I have r230 2003 with the D2b can I get this android radio will it work plug and play even without the amp , there is a bypass cable and most box
I have a 2003 r230 with the D2b , I want to get the android 7.1 will it work plug and play , There is a bypass cable will that do the trick?
I think that if you are a true audiophile, you would want to go the extra mile of getting a namebrand unit (like your pioneer) and then buy all of the add-ons to get the steering controls to work (and put up with the patched-in square-peg-in-a-round-hole look). In the OPs case, he will have to replace the AMP no matter what path he chooses (he can keep the speakers although it will be hard to use the factory BOSE sub with most aftermarket amps). Addtionally, the OP will likely have to cut his center console trim (and change out for later model cup holders) if he wants to put in an aftermarket unit while utilizing the standard aftermarket headunit bezel).

There is no perfect path, I always like to see the various solutions that members come up with.

Cheers,
Chris
radio

Last edited by Austinsec; 04-19-2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: missing text
Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Austinsec
I have a 2003 r230 with the D2b and want to get the android, will it work plug and play there is a bypass cable will that do the trick

radio
I have not seen the bypass cable that is supplied for the R230. When I installed my android in my 2003 R230, there was NO android unit available (yet), so I bought one for the C-class (I had to recreate the r230 fascia to make it fit). It came with the C-class "bypass cable" which I did not use as I added a new (alpine) amp.

If you can get the supplier to send you a PIC of the R230 bypass cable, post it here and I will tell you my thoughts on how plug and play it may be.

Chris
Old 04-19-2018, 10:50 PM

Sl55 2003
Here it is in the middle of the webpage with all the connections
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 PM

Sl55 2003
cable

Here is the pics of the connectors
https://static.seicane.com/media/wys...S018817_25.jpg

I have not seen the bypass cable that is supplied for the R230. When I installed my android in my 2003 R230, there was NO android unit available (yet), so I bought one for the C-class (I had to recreate the r230 fascia to make it fit). It came with the C-class "bypass cable" which I did not use as I added a new (alpine) amp.

If you can get the supplier to send you a PIC of the R230 bypass cable, post it here and I will tell you my thoughts on how plug and play it may be.

Chris
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
No aftermarket component will interface to your existing amplifier.

Here is a thread where someone hoped to use the amplifier from a later SL so that he could keep the existing speakers with no modifications. Can not tell if he got it working, however.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
well .... not sure what that fits ... that cable is very similar to the c-class cable I got .... but more to the point, it is NOT a plug and play bypass for the R230. In order to be, it would have to have the same connector that the R230 (d2b) bose amp has (allowing you to plug directly into the output cable of the bose amp).

worth mentioning, the is a Haulingan product (they are the manufacturer), if you can find it directly from them it should be $100 or more less expencive.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 04-19-2018, 11:10 PM

Sl55 2003
I ordered one for e 356.00 waiting to ship and am hoping not to have to install new amp
Old 04-19-2018, 11:48 PM

Sl55 2003
well .... not sure what that fits ... that cable is very similar to the c-class cable I got .... but more to the point, it is NOT a plug and play bypass for the R230. In order to . it would have to have the same connector that the R230 (d2b) bose amp has (allowing you to plug directly into the output cable of the bose amp).

worth mentioning, the is a Haulingan product (they are the manufacturer), if you can find it directly from them it should be $100 or more less expencive.

Cheers,
Chris
They got back to me the cable just lets the radio bypass the bose amp and uses the builtin amp
wish me luck if it ships that is
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
They got back to me the cable just lets the radio bypass the bose amp and uses the builtin amp
wish me luck if it ships that is
Yes, that was all that the Bypass cable was intended to do. However, the cable that you linked to is NOT the correct cable for the R230 . In order to be "plug and play" if HAS to have the same header as the R230 Bose amp SO that the car speaker harness will PLUG in it. If they send you something OTHER than what is shown in the link you attached, it MIGHT work, but if they send you one that looks like the one you linked, you will have to cut and splice all of the wires (at the bose amp).

I took a picture of the R230 bose amp, so you can see what the "bypass cable" NEEDS to look like at one end.

by the way. sounds like you got a GREAT price .... nice job.

Cheers,
Chris

bose amp out of my 2003 sl55
Old 04-26-2018, 06:11 PM

SL55 AMG 2003 V-Max
I have installed this one in my 03 SL55
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ouch...311.0.0.PdbPLq
together with Pioneer GM-D1004 as you can’t use the std Bose amp.
The headunit amplifier is driving the rear speakers and the dash speaker, the Pioneer amplifier is for the door speakers and the subwoofer which is bribged to two Chanels.
I made the installation over a weekend and is stright foreward but you need to route speaker cables from the dash to the rear as all speaker input has to be connected to the Bose amp connector behind driver seat. The extention cable that is recomended is not doing the job stright off as it has no connnection to the speaker wirwing, you need to buy a ISO speaker socket to connect the speaker wires as the one on the kit does not match.
The sound is as good as the original system, the steering wheel buttons, volume and channel change works but when you shift menue the station changes, I haven’t tried to change the settings on the buss device that was set to SL R230.
In total it’s a great upgrade to a fantastic car that now is a fully modern Super car.

Last edited by lagolag; 04-28-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 04-26-2018, 06:38 PM

Sl55 2003
I just got the radio today have a better price 351.00 delivered
will attempt to insall tomorrow or over the weekend
bought here can from seicane

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seic...311.0.0.XjA6u9
with the long cable
Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 AM

SL55 AMG 2003 V-Max
Austinsec,
The built in amplifier is not powerfull enough to justufy the Bose speakers, I can asure you that you will regret not installing a amplifier. It’s minimal extra job as you already have to connect everything where the amp. Is located and the amp is arround $125.00.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 PM

Sl55 2003
Originally Posted by lagolag
I have installed this one in my 03 SL55
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ouch...311.0.0.PdbPLq
together with Pioneer GM-D1004 as you can’t use the std Bose amp.
The headunit amplifier is driving the rear speakers and the dash speaker, the Pioneer amplifier is for the door speakers and the subwoofer which is bribged to two Chanels.
I made the installation over a weekend and is stright foreward but you need to route speaker cables from the dash to the rear as all speaker input has to be connected to the Bose amp connector behond driver seat. The extention cable that is recomended is not doing the job stright off as it has no connnection to the speaker wirwing, you need to buy a ISO speaker socket to connect the speaker wires as the one on the kit does not match.
The sound is as good as the original system, the steering wheel buttons, volume and channel change works but when you shift menue the station changes, I haven’t tried to change the settings on the buss device that was set to SL R230.
In total it’s a great upgrade to a fantastic car that now is a fully modern Super car.
Do you have pics of the wiring my long cable has the canbus adapter as well as the iso socket i have extra wires and no instructions . did the send you instructions for installation please advise
Old 04-27-2018, 07:45 PM

SL55 AMG 2003 V-Max
Sorry but I didn’t get any instructions at all, I was told by the seller I could ask him directly but I never did due to time differens,
And I have no pictures. But the job is easy if you have replaced or installed car stereo before. I will try to give you som more info tomorrow when I’ve checked my file with documents.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:12 PM

Sl55 2003
thank you did you use the long cable along with the all the other cables I seem to have several that i do not need
Old 04-28-2018, 05:52 AM

SL55 AMG 2003 V-Max
I did use both but I cut of the front end connector on the long one and fitted the corresponding ISO connectors that matched the short cable in the kit.
In the backend I fitted ISO cables that correspond to the Amplifier as I did not use RCA cables to reduce the no.s of cables back of the Headunit.
Then I connected everything to the car amp cable socket using ISO flat connectors. The channels I used from the Headunit I added in parallel at the ISO socket.
I used two sets of each ISO male and female connectors with preassembled leads.
The picture shows what I cut away and in the same time is left.

I have kept all the original wiring intact so the car can be brought back to original in the future.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:32 AM

Sl55 2003
Here is a picture of the wire what end did you cut , witch end is the front ( I assume the one with the white connector is the front, didd you use the white
connector or did you use the short cable one)

I assume end marked 1 and 2 are the front since connector 1 is the same as canbus and connector 2 fits into new head unit.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:08 PM

sl55
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one of these. Did the optional 6m long main cable help at all for the install? and overall, are you happy about getting this deck? Thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
Originally Posted by hamann1000
I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one of these. Did the optional 6m long main cable help at all for the install? and overall, are you happy about getting this deck? Thanks
At the very least you should go to a couple local audio shops and see what options they have, you might be surprised.

Remember with Android units you have questionable quality, need an after market amp, and your time (maybe some special tools if for pulling trim if you don't have it). So you'll probably at a minimum have $600 to $750 into it and a weekend or so of your time.

For $1200 to $1500 you might have name brand quality unit with a warranty that looks just as good and probably sounds much better overall. They maybe able to use your Bose amp and if not they'll know right amp to pair with your system to get the most out of it.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM

sl55
Originally Posted by skylolow
At the very least you should go to a couple local audio shops and see what options they have, you might be surprised.

Remember with Android units you have questionable quality, need an after market amp, and your time (maybe some special tools if for pulling trim if you don't have it). So you'll probably at a minimum have $600 to $750 into it and a weekend or so of your time.

For $1200 to $1500 you might have name brand quality unit with a warranty that looks just as good and probably sounds much better overall. They maybe able to use your Bose amp and if not they'll know right amp to pair with your system to get the most out of it.
I would of done this but I just cannot get past the fact of adapting a rectangle into the non rectangle factory unit shape. No matter how you bezel it, it just looks awkward imo and stands out due to how unfactory it looks. Id rather keep my stock unit than upgrade to a great rectangle for that console area which is why I would only consider the android Chinese model, even if its not built as well
Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 PM

SL55 AMG 2003 V-Max
Originally Posted by lagolag
I did use both but I cut of the front end connector on the long one and fitted the corresponding ISO connectors that matched the short cable in the kit.
In the backend I fitted ISO cables that correspond to the Amplifier as I did not use RCA cables to reduce the no.s of cables back of the Headunit.
Then I connected everything to the car amp cable socket using ISO flat connectors. The channels I used from the Headunit I added in parallel at the ISO socket.
I used two sets of each ISO male and female connectors with preassembled leads.
The picture shows what I cut away and in the same time is left.

I have kept all the original wiring intact so the car can be brought back to original in the future.
Now I got picture and attachment to stay in the post.

Cut away remains
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Amplifier Speaker R230.pdf (608.0 KB, 282 views)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Has anyone upgraded their head units to the Android Chinese Models?