SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 vs DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
SL55 vs DB9

The story so far.

I've had an SL55 for 19 months now and those of you who follow my ramblings will know that initial euphoria gave way to misgivings about the driver experience of the car. Lots of power, certainly, but an anaesthetized feel - steering, throttle and especially brakes. Sure there have been some software improvements but Mercedes have yet to understand that outright power and straightline performance are not all it takes. Feeling connected to the machine is more important to obtain maximum enjoyment. Less is More.

So, I've ordered a DB9, never driven it, yet, but what a difference in the experience so far. With the SL, I had to do all the running, chasing the dealer, getting information out of them was like pulling teeth. With the Aston? I paid the deposit last week. This week, I've been invited to a dealer launch and swanky-new-factory tour on Friday and as soon as there are demo cars available, I'll be welcome to go sample. Then, yesterday, the dealer principal called me to ask if I was happy with the way my interest in the car was being handled. If he only knew..., you could have knocked me over with a feather.

Think also of this. The SL is not exclusive. They are churned out in their thousands and in the area I live in London, they are 10 a penny just like LA, NY and Florida. The Aston will always be made in much smaller numbers and it will be rare to see another on the road.

I'm completely sold. And to think it's a Ford.... actually.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
My experience was different

I am also interested in a DB9. I am traveling to Europe in two weeks. I tried to arrange both tours of the AMG factory and the Aston factory on this trip.

The folks from AMG have been amazingly cordial. I have a special tour set up and they said I can drive the SL65. I am pretty excited about this.

The folks from Aston told me they were too busy and to stay away from the factory. I guess they have all the DB9 customers they need from the States.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

04 SL55 Black
Other than the exclusivity and looks, I don't understand the allure of a DB9 over an SL. The SL gives you better performance, better handling, a convertible hard top, better reliability, significantly lower price and an everday driver.

It will be interesting to hear your opinion after you actually drive and live with the DB9 day in and day out. Are you trading in the SL? When will take delivery of the DB9?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:44 PM

996 Turbo
Dont trade the SL55 keep them both! !
Old 05-12-2004, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Of course I have yet to have the opportunity to form my own objective opinions but one magazine I regard highly, Evo, summed up the Aston thus:

"Now with a new factory, a new engineering strategy and a whole new impetus, Aston Martin hasn't just succeeded in building the best car in its history; on this evidence, it has build the most complete, accomplished, involving and seductively styled car in the world".

Other reviews here have been similarly positive. I'll be keeping the SL55 and the wait for the Aston is currently 2 years, but this always comes down as people drop out. Here in the UK, the Aston is about 10% more expensive than an SL55, noise level.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:53 PM
I1 ULOOZ

I am going to the db9 tour at the end of the month. Seems to be a nice car.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Well just back from the dealer launch of the DB9 at the factory. Turned up in my SL55 and was politely directed away from the "Aston Martins Only" spaces.

The DB9 is being built with a passion which is impressive at the rate of 11 day - compared to 150+ SLs and is a stunning car to look at. A much cleaner design that the SL, many fewer shut lines which make for a tidier, more elegant car. You have only to look at how well the headlamps integrate into the car to see what a great job they have done. The front quarter view of the DB9 is to die for.

After 2 hours of looking at the car in detail, coming out to my SL55 was a bit of a shock, it looked almost cartoon-like.

The paint finish on the DB9 is far superior to the SL. I was looking at the car in harsh critical lighting and the paint is mirror smooth, miles away from the SL which is painted in the same facility as the C class.

The build quality of the car is excellent but because of smaller volumes, there is a less manufactured, more hand-made side to the car which might grate in places. Hand made can, in some circumstances, amount to "crude" where a more expensively tooled solution would be better. For example, the SL has lovely alloy covers for the door jams, the Aston does not. the SL has a self closing trunk, the Aston does not. The SL has cast alloy door handles, the Astons are painted and set flush into the door.

The interior is good, excellent driving position, wonderful instruments with green LED displays but centre console disappointing. Stereo by Linn, as in the Vanquish.

The real let-down for the DB9 though is the packaging. It's significantly bigger than the SL but has the V12 set back and the rear-mounted gearbox set forwards to minimise the polar moment of inertia which puts pressure on the cabin space. Not as badly as in the SLR, but there's a lot of daylight between the front of the car and the front of the engine.

There are two hopeless rear seats (why do they bother?) and the car feels claustrophobic inside. Plenty of head room, narrow footwells because of that engine intruding and the smallest of trunks - there's less space in it than in the SL with the roof down.

Can't give the complete picture until I've driven it but comparing the two alongside, I'd say the DB9 is better looking, more individualistic and more sporting than the SL; the SL is better packaged, has the roof and feels more manufactured.

More when I've driven it.

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2004, 06:58 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
BlueSL, I know I'm not the only one thinking these thoughts but you must be the most critical and ungrateful mercedes owner yet! Mate you own a 100K Merc which has 500bhp and yet you insist upon finding every minor fault there is with it? This is MBworld, here we love MB's no matter how many glitches these cars have with them, do you ever see "hey look at my Gallardo or 575" posts here? These pages are full of problems yet every member continues to buy Benzes with pride.

I understand the DB9 is a good looking and good performing car but thats it. I cant find something "special" about it. Look at its big brother Vanquish, beautiful exhaust note, drop dead curves yet its appeal is only limited. It too can handle and has some 460bhp, but its outdone by the Murcie and 575M, cars priced closely to it? Why? I don't know why but I fear the same thing will happen to the DB9. The Vanquish caused a stir when it first came out, and from then on its been downhill, even mags comparing it to the Bentley GT have praised the latter. Forget all this "James Bond and Aston" malarky, we're not kids anymore. Now say the DB9 had a 550bhp engine and beat the AMG 55's in performance (i know its not everything) but then it would earn respect, just like my performance admiration of the Gallardo. The DB9 is a good car, but if I wanted a comfortable GT I'd buy the SL600 or even the SL55, but if I wanted to go to Scotland or Wales and have some fun in a car, my choices would the 911T or the Gallardo. Its classic cliche but sometimes its good not to change.

Now I may come off narrow minded and naive, but I think we can both relate when you bought your SL55. I mean what did you expect? The ONLY thing worng with the SL55 is its weight of 2 tons, a bit lighter and it would be nigh on perfect. I mean didn't you think a 2 ton car with an auto and electronic brakes wouldn't handle and give feedback like a Porsche? How can anyone think a 2 ton Mercedes packed with electronics gives Ferrari driving excitement? True there are small niggles like SBC feel and electrical reliability, but lets not forget this is the 21st century, nobody makes cars as "simple" like the Mac F1, look at the Nissan Micra, it too has Keyless go! And another thing, the electrical problems are due to the suppliers quality problems, and integration with other components is difficult, but no-one and I mean no-one in the car industry can lay acclaim to being the most technologically advanced car company as Mercedes-Benz can.

You forget, "British heritage" was lost when the Germans took over and Ford took Aston. Look at the Bentley GT, it may be built by "Bentley" but its still very German, look at the new Mini, can it claim to be as good as 'ol John Coopers? Look at the RR Phantom, maybe a Rolls, but is it British with its idrive and BMW derived electricals and powerplant? And the DB9 is no exception, Ulrich Bez should be thanked for making Aston Martin the company it is, and Ford for their kind invested "dosh". Is it the same as AMG testing 200mph+ S65's on Papenburg? Or Ferrari lapping Fiorano countless times to build the perfect balanced car? Or Porsche taking Carrera GT's round Nevada?

What I'm trying to say is, the companies I mentioned have some heritage and carry weight in their names. Aston on the other hand have none recently that I can think of. All that comes too mind is Ford Fiesta trim in the DB7 and how the 575 outsports the Vanquish. I'm sorry but thats the truth, it'll take a whole bunch of good quality cars and about 20 years for me to appreciate Aston in the same way I do Ferrari or Porsche. And look at this thread, so many views yet so little posts regarding the DB9.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:48 AM

I think that Bilal is true in that the SL is an amazing car, and deserves respect. However I think that you should be more open-minded with the DB9.

I think the DB9 is going to break the barrier in terms of being different to other Astons. I is much lighter and has been created with more sporting intent. Since we have not really had any real life tests yet, I do not think we should criticise this car until we know more about it. I have heard from someone who has worked on the DB9 and he reckons this will be the best Aston ever. Sure we may always hear that, but I have a feeling that this car will be good.

Just a pity that the Vanquish looks much more beautiful, and I do not see anything wrong with its interior, which does not resemble a Fiesta. Apart from its disadvantaged cabin, it too loks sold and sporty. I think we should just wait until the DB9 has has a few buyers. BlueSL we are waiting....
Old 05-15-2004, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I don't set cars up on a pedestal but seek, as an engineer, to evaluate them objectively. Both the DB9 and the SL55 are produced with huge engineering resources as backup and it's clear Ford are investing heavily in Aston Martin. So it's a level playing field, the chief differentiator being that the Aston volume is just 1/15 of the SL (all models) volume so you have to expect some differences which that ratio of build leads to.

As an object to behold from outside, the Aston is stupendous, clearly (IMHO) outclassing the SL and in no need of all the after market body add-ons which afflict the SL, not least because it does not use a separate nose cone which is the key to the door for all the bad taste we see on these pages.

I love my SL, it was great driving it back cross country last night and it proved extremely capable. But, as an object of beauty, the DB9 has it beat. Where the DB9 lets itself down is in the packaging - how the space in the car is used - and in some of the detailing, the centre console in particular being poor. For just a couple of thousand extra, these things could have been sorted.

I place heavy emphasis on the driving experience though and I reserve final judgement until I have driven the DB9. For me, a 10 year old Ferrari provides a better, more fulfilling driving experience than does the SL55 because the primary driver interfaces - steering, throttle, brakes are all flawed in the SL in the amount of information they give back on what it going on. In the case of the brakes it is none and the throttle has a bizarre non-linear characteristic.

TwinTurbo, they had a Vanquish on display along with the DB9s and I can assure you that, in the metal, the DB9 is a match.

Coming out today to look at the front of the SL55, and it's a mess. Too many lines, too many flutes, too many gaps. If they go for the F1 like nose option, it will just get worse. Ferrari have got it badly wrong as well of late and I crave the simplicity of the cars like the Muira, the Dino, the Daytona, the gullwing SL300 and the E-type.

There are things I don't like about the Aston and I'm going to write and tell them (lucky them, I hear you thinking) but it's not going to stop me buying one, it's such an object of beauty. Oh, and it gets me from A to B as a bonus.

Last edited by blueSL; 05-15-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:11 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Lust for the Aston, marry the Benz

I too, have become swept up by the lines of the Aston. The idea of driving a unique, gorgeous, hand made automobile in these days of mass market everything, is appealing. Look what has happened to AMG- they used to be a skunk works tuner and only real car guys even knew what it stood for. Now it is a brand that spits out 10,000 plus cars a year. It is amazing that Mercedes has managed to make a nearly $200,000 car appear pedestrian with the SL65. So the Aston is a worthy alternative.

But the problem is that you can safely invest in the AMG product and be confident that it will work (for the most part), be serviceable most anywhere and have strong resale. Why spend big money on anything else unless you are simply bored with the AMG product line?
Old 05-15-2004, 12:59 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
How can you guys be p'ed off if AMG is not exclusive anymore? You think its normal to drive around in an AMG car?
Old 05-15-2004, 01:12 PM

SL55amg , Range Rover TD6 Vogue , Lotus 340R , Saab 9-5 SE Estate
I test drove a DB7 and a DB7GT back to back, before buying the SL, which is just in a different league.
The DB9 however might just tempt me. Let's hope Aston can make a reliable car this time around, it's got just about everything else (except the roof!) going for it.

David
Old 05-15-2004, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
BlueSL,
Your post is exactly like the posts at some Ford sites and Chevrolet and BMW sites, except that those posts concern other cars, just like this post. I have to agree with Bilal when he says you are the most unsatisfied MB AMG owner out there, but to each his own. The saying goes the grass is always greener on the other side, and you my friend will always be looking at the other side.
I can say that i am extremely happy with my SL55. The only reason i will be selling it is to get an SL65. Having a hardtop or convertible in 16 seconds with 500HP from the Benz factory is something I myself as well as many other SL55 owners do somewhat appreciate.

T
Old 05-15-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
I am probably one of the few MB Wolrld forum members that follows the SL R129 forum as well as the R230 and the SL55 forums.

I appreciate blueSL's indepth knowledge of the SL. He seems to have knowledge of the R129 SL 600 he owns and loves that only a MB mechanic could rival. Answering R129 posts regularily, he has never abandoned the R129 forum.

To me blueSL is simply a car enthusiast.

He has earned the right to be one. Being an experienced driver (look at the list of cars he owns). Putting on lots of miles. Passionate about the driving experience.

He has not turned his back on the MB brand. He is simply excited about buying another car. I am happy for him.

I welcome the feedback and compairisons he will provide.

Last edited by ChrisB; 05-15-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:52 PM

don't listen to him
He's a british so he must admire Aston Martin more than Mercedes-Benz
Old 05-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Bilal
How can you guys be p'ed off if AMG is not exclusive anymore? You think its normal to drive around in an AMG car?
It depends where you live. In my country driving an AMG MB is very exclusive thing. [with about 50+ AMG vehicles sold per]year
Old 05-16-2004, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I realise of course that this thread was going to stir up a hornet's nest of controversy. First, I am not a most dissatisfied SL owner and rate the car extremely highly but neither am I blind to its faults, the chief of which is the bland driving experience. There's more enjoyment to be had from driving than feeling the push of 500 bhp in your back.

So I am objective about the car and just because I own one do not think it is perfect. Same with the DB9. I've been quite open in what I see as seriously compromised packaging and my hope is that it will redeeem itself in the driving experience it serves up.

In August 2002, I was invited to clinic what I now realise was the DB9. At the time, I thought it was the next Jaguar XK but I now know it was the DB9, more than a year before launch. At the time, I and the orther participants were quizzed on what we thought the balance between rear seats and luggage space should be. I made the point very strongly that unless the rear seats are fully usable, they are pointless. The DB9 is not a family car and those wishing to transport more than two people will, at this price point, be bound to have at least one other car to do the job. Mercedes have seen the light in moving from the 129 to the 230 by removing the rear seats and offer the CLK and CL to those who want four seats in a coupe. No-one is saying Mercedes got it wrong by getting rid of the rear seats in the SL.

Sadly, my arguments fell on deaf ears or it was too late to do anything about it and Aston Martin have still provided two seats, which ARE useless, and meagre luggage space which is barely big enough for an airline carry-on, never mind what you might reasonably expect to take on a two week driving tour with your MSO of the Italian Lakes, Provence, Napa Valley, Blue Ridge Parkway, Blue Mountains, Florida Keys (check your favourite destination).

So, the SL has the DB9 comprehensively beat in the packaging stakes just as the DB9 has (IMHO) the SL beat in the beauty stakes and, if you believe the reports, the driving experience. The SL will probably win on residuals but I have serious misgivings about that car's longevity with the cost of maintaining/replacing the electronic and especially hydraulic systems in the car.

If the quality of the DB9's I saw is representative, the paint finish is outstanding - it takes them longer to paint the car than it does Mercedes to make the SL - and I would put the overall quality of the Aston well above current Ferraris which are built in the same sort of volume.

The discussion of DB9 vs SL55 is relevant to this forum because it's a new alternative to consider, right along side the SL55/65, Bentley GT and Ferrari 575/612.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:28 AM

Nothing
It depends where you live. In my country driving an AMG MB is very exclusive thing. [with about 50+ AMG vehicles sold per]year
Here by us AMG is also very exclusive. I think I have only seen 5 SL55's ever. Even C32's are very rare, so here AMG is considered to be very special. The other day a guy in a Audi A4 3.0 took me on. When I blew him away, he was very surprised when he learned what a C32 is. He said he thought it was a C320 with a body kit. Ha ha!

BlueSl, I can understand your point of view. I think you and I are the same kind of car enthusiasts. To me the badge doesn't count that much (although the AMG badge DOES make me feel good), it is more the involvement with the car that matters. I thouroghly enjoy reading your comments, they make a lot of sense. Now let us know more when you have test drove one!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:06 AM

SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
Fine choice BlueSL - Wish I had put my name on the DB9 waiting list a year back!

As for you being the most dissapointed SL55 owner on the board - you are still driving yours - mine went about 10 months ago! Roll on the flames

I was naive enough to expect a 500bhp AMG Merc to be closer to a Ferrari 360 in driver experience - remember in order to get an early car you had to order long before seeing the car or the spec sheets - and 500 bhp was leaked long before the weight!

My only concern on the Aston would be hand made quality - A neighbour had one of the last DB7's last August - to date a rear end respray and a new gearbox

Good luck with it BlueSL

... and before the flamers start - Although the SL55 drive experince never lit me up like the Ferrari ever did, I did thoroughly enjoy my problem free SL55
Old 05-17-2004, 11:34 AM

SL500
BlueSL,

I know where you're coming from. I love my SL, but think the DB9 is a better ownership prospect in many respects too. It has a certain "want one factor" that is starting to drain away from the SL, and wants more it promises the kind of quality that the DB7 could never deliver.

How is Vanquish quality bearing up?
Old 05-17-2004, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BlueSL

The DB9 is one of my fav cars around. Nice choice. I hope you get the best from both worlds

cheers
Old 05-18-2004, 10:39 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
DB9 Volante

I saw this car at a clinic. It is drop dead gorgeous, cleaner, sexier lines than the SL.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 PM
MIS

All I have to say is watch these videos to help you see from another point of view, and please I'd like to hear your opinions:

5th gear review: http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=711&p=6

DB9 vs Eurostar train (TopGear): http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=740&p=6

You'll have to register to download, they really deserve it, and I'm not advertising for anything BTW.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,297 Likes on 2,046 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I have always enjoyed BlueSL's commentary and opinions and think that he has a very pragmatic view on all of his cars (including the Sl600 and the Ferrari). Always enjoyed the stories. Keep it up!

I do believe that the driving (and service) experience and exclusivity is very much dependent on the country where you live in. Driving a Mercedes will also never feel like a Ferrari; because they aren't even aiming for it. The SLR is a perfect example for that.

Regarding the DB9, the coupe is beautifully designed, but I must say that the Volante leaves my absolutely cold. Imho, somewhat boring looking and not as well proportioned as the SL.

I also question the quality but I will hold my opinion until I hear what others are going to report.

BlueSL also referred to the complexity of the SL and the potential maintenance nightmare once out of warranty. This is really true for all cars moving forward, not just the SL or just Mercedes. Time to get used to that and buy the additional warranty if possible

Woflman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 vs DB9