SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL 55 AMG Handling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
SL 55 AMG Handling?

Firstly,

I am curious about one of these......why bother swapping in a K motor when I can just buy a car with a K motor?

Prices are reasonable but upon looking at the specs.......this car is an absolute pig! 4400 pounds?!

How would it stack up to a clk 55 amg in handling?

Is there a hard top version or are all of them convertibles?

Also is there any way to get the weight down? like 700-1000 pounds less?

thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I think they handle and feel great. If you have some apprehension you should go drive one
Old 01-27-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
I think they handle great. good enough to get me out of the occasional bouts of stupidity

The only hardtop version i think is the Black series

Remember, this is a very powerful luxury car. Weight was not a consideration, I suppose you could strip it down but then you lose the luxury part of the car.

Better you should try a different car if that is your goal.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
easy way to strip out the weight.. Remove the convertible top and pop up rear headrests with all the hydraulics and install a weld-in rollbar. might be a little noisy and can get wet inside, but if you are only after weight savings and handling, there ya go. They are all convertibles except for the SL65 Black Series edition.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The CLK will.feel lighter and more responsive but the R230 will feel flatter around curves. You can get aftermarket suspension on the CLK to make it handle better so if handling is what you are after I'd go with the much lighter CLK. The CLK will also be much less expensive to maintain.

Yes, you can get the CLK55 in a hard top. The only true hardtop SL is the 65 Black.

Last edited by BlownV8; 01-27-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Racin_fool
easy way to strip out the weight.. Remove the convertible top and pop up rear headrests with all the hydraulics and install a weld-in rollbar. might be a little noisy and can get wet inside, but if you are only after weight savings and handling, there ya go. They are all convertibles except for the SL65 Black Series edition.
is there any way to say lock it in hard top mode then remove all the convertible gadgetry?

also is there a way to bypass all the active handling gadgetry?

I'm thinking if I bypass all these items swap out that active handling craziness, replace with a coil-over setup and ditch the seats for a lighter pair it might be possible to say hit 3500?. and if it has headlight washers....they are just ridiculous! lol.

I have a CLK 55 already but ever since I got a corvette Z06 I am really digging the big v8, long hood, 2 seat roadster feel. unfortunately the SL65 is out of my price range

Last edited by dohcfiend; 01-28-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
It may be possible to get the weight that low but you will have to gut the car and change everything to super light weight materials. Pull the seats, tear out all the ABC(-186 LBS +-), light weight wheels and tires, light weight 3 piece rotors, and all insulation. All said and done, sounds like you would be better off with a different car.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
The similarities bettween the sl55 and a z06 are the layout, big v8 in a 2 door 2 seater roadster. They drive and feel nothing alike.

You could gut everything from the sl, the ABC, the convertible hardtop equipment, the big heavy massaging seats, but what's the point? It's a luxury gt car, you should enjoy it for what it is! It has more than enough power to go faster than you will ever be able to go. It looks gorgeous doing so (to me)
I don't feel it is nimble, my little '15 Glk feels easier and more fun at lower speeds in sport mode. The 07-08s are a little crisper. The 09- 63s and even the 550s feel sharper yet. It does stay super flat in corners, but it feels heavy and bigger than it is. Lumbering almost at slow speeds.
To me, it's a high speed highway cruise missle; point, press the gas and it will just keep going until reading the speedometer aloud makes your rear pucker just thinking of the prison time you might face all the while nothing aside from that 55 roar would make you realize you are going 'fast' at all. Not many cars feel this at ease with such speed. It's a fun experience, but this car makes getting into serious trouble too easy. I've learned this lesson a few times now (I guess that means I haven't really learned it fully, right?)
It is competent enough when you want to have a little fun with some spirited twisty road driving, but it wasn't designed as a Nürburgring record breaker. The sl63 feels more agile on the same platform. It would likely be a better *starting* point for what you want. The sl55 feels smoother and all around more relaxed for cruising, where perhaps it shines best. Put the top down on a nice day, and take your wife (and just your wife, or girlfriend, partner, whatever you may have) for a little weekend getaway in total style and comfort while knowing you can pass virtually anything on the road.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:32 AM

I suspect the popular opinion is the right one for now.......I suppose I can either look into restoring a SL 65 body or just wait until they depreciate some more. I haven't ruled out diving into the sl55 though changing it to a hard top and swapping out the seats is hardly turning it into a race car. There are still a ton of options I would leave in place.

I haven't completely ruled out re-designing the sl55 to suit my taste but I have some other things on my plate to take care of at the moment before taking on something that is a little more ambitious than I had originally planned for. You never know maybe I can get lucky and score a sl65 that needs a ton of love since I have a ton to give!

I can't even imagine the size of the smile on my face if I lightened up a twin turbo v12 roadster! Which if the sl65 is a hard top then all I would need to do is a little suspension work and ditch the seats. I would be lying if the idea of so much power wouldn't be scary to me but with anything there is a learning curve and as long as you respect the curve and the auto you can get by without the terror.

speaking of the sl65.....anyone know how the hard top versions are done? Is it a completely different body or is it a modified convertible body with a top bolted on? like a s2000 hard top?

The last thought/possibility I might explore is a body swap. If any of you live in an area more agreeable than mine do you think you can provide me with 3 measurements?

front to back wheel centercap to wheel centercap? side to side end of front and rear wheels?

I do want to thank you all for providing well thought out responses as quickly as you have.

Last edited by dohcfiend; 01-29-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
The normal SL65 is still a hardtop convertible like the rest of the R230 cars. The only actual hardtop is the SL65 Black Series. Look up some pictures on Google so you can see the differences.